Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 30, 1996

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall from Bethesda Softworks is an enormous RPG and sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Arena. It includes a massive gameworld and pioneering freeform play. It was well received for these factors, but was criticised for a number of crippling bugs.

Is the "Random PC Game" feature subscriber-only?

• 138 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It says so in the video's title, but it doesn't make sense to me, that's why i'm making sure..

Are they really disallowing regular members to view their fun new retro video feature?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Yes. Well, it doesn't matter for you since you're a subscriber now :o

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DeeGee

Yes. Yes they are disallowing regular members to view their new fun retro video. Subscribers get subscriber videos.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Simplexity

Also when armageddon hits only subscribers will be allowed to board the Giant Bomb spaceship.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

@AhmadMetallic said:

It says that in the title, but it doesn't make sense to me, that's why i'm making sure..

What you said makes no sense.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@DeeGee said:

Yes. Yes they are disallowing regular members to view their new fun retro video. Subscribers get subscriber videos.

Woah.. so this is Giant Bomb now? If this got categorized as a "subscriber video", a totally random and funny old-game let's-play feature, then I don't see what would stop them from categorizing any other kind of video as "subs only". This is kinda gross

@Hizang said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It says that in the title, but it doesn't make sense to me, that's why i'm making sure..

What you said makes no sense.

Ah, now that I look at it, you're right, I replaced 'that' with 'so' ;p

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington

@AhmadMetallic: Well they wanted subscribers to get more features, how else are they going to provide more exclusive content?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By BulletproofMonk

You sure like to blow things out of proportion, Ahmad.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

I wouldn't of done the way they are doing. They should of atleast tease those that haven;t subbed yet. Make it known that the first video will be public but future will be sub only. I really want to see it but not knowing what they are going to do with the next batch of yearly i'll wait til then, especially if they might have different levels.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocPorpoise

How does it not make sense? They've said they're trying new stuff for subscribers. Two hours of Vinny and Dave messing around with an old game while they wait for other stuff to render, compress or whatever sounds like a nice members only bonus video to me.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeeGee

@AhmadMetallic: They've always said that subscribers would get subscriber videos. And you said it yourself, a totally random and funny video of an old game. It's not a new game, they don't need to cover it, they don't need to waste any of their time with it, it's not a thing they need to do. So it makes perfect sense to make it subscriber only.

The news, reviews, the bombcast, the quick looks and such of new games are what majority of people come here for. If people care enough about the site to watch an engineer and a video producer play the tutorial of a 15 year old game, they're probably already a subscriber.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pazy

Sadly it is Subscriber only, I want to watch it but they wont let me give them my money :P

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@BulletproofMonk said:

That sometimes is true, I know ;p But if you were a long-time regular who isn't subscribed, and you learned that our beloved Dave and Vinny are doing a new funny lets-play kind of video feature of good old school PC games, and you couldn't watch it, you'd feel shitty wouldn't you?

Premium membership on any website or service gives you better extra stuff, more options and "the whole cake", It gives you the better version and more of it, not exclusivity to a sort of thing that everyone would love to see and enjoy.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FritzDude

I'm perfectly fine with this as long as they don't, let me repeat that, DO NOT block out regular members with the upcoming Endurance Run and Quick Looks.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Scooper

I'd rather watch ads before a video. I watch a bunch of AVGN vids on the guy's website and have to sit through 30 second ads and have dating ads or whatever on his site but I don't care as long as it pays his bills and allows me to enjoy content for free. 

If non-subscribers had to watch 5 vids each with 30 second ads before them while the paid subs got to watch it all in 1 vid in HD I'd be totally happy with that. It's fair. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

@FritzDude said:

I'm perfectly fine with this as long as they don't, let me repeat that, DO NOT block out regular members with the upcoming Endurance Run and Quick Looks.

Pretty sure they said the new ER would be for subs only

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Vinny_Says said:

@FritzDude said:

Pretty sure they said the new ER would be for subs only

No, they didn't. But I'd want the ER to be subscriber only and I'm glad that they made their first "RPG" video exclusive to subscribers. 

I want to get a subscription but, much like the 3DS, I just don't see the value. If they start doing more of these new subscriber-only videos, I'll subscribe.
    Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wacomole

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

That sometimes is true, I know ;p But if you were a long-time regular who isn't subscribed, and you learned that our beloved Dave and Vinny are doing a new funny lets-play kind of video feature of good old school PC games, and you couldn't watch it, you'd feel shitty wouldn't you?

Premium membership on any website or service gives you better extra stuff, more options and "the whole cake", It gives you the better version and more of it, not exclusivity to a sort of thing that everyone would love to see and enjoy.

I wouldn't feel bad about it at all, as it's not in my nature to get that upset about people running their own site the way they see fit, especially as I would know exactly what to do if I really, really wanted to view that content. (i.e. subscribe)

As to your second point. This is, I feel, absolutely no different to them making Happy Hours subscriber only. They were also exclusive to Subscribers and apparently "a sort of thing that everyone would love to see and enjoy"

When all is said and done, we pretty much all trust the guys at Giant Bomb to do The Right Thing when it comes to the people who come to their site and we've been around long enough to know the ethos of the staff is not one of "money-grabbing at all costs".

Basically, chill out a bit - it's not as if they've suddenly slapped a pay-gate on all the Quick Looks, Bombcasts and Endurance Runs!

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By prestonhedges
    @KarlPilkington said:

@AhmadMetallic: Well they wanted subscribers to get more features, how else are they going to provide more exclusive content?

If they don't know, why should we?

This is more a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Frankly they would probably make more money if they just asked for donations and had an actual store rather than trying to find some way to provide a service beyond their free content, which is the best part of the site anyway.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ShaneDev

This thread seems like it was designed for trolling and a place to stir up the pointless debate that raged in the actual comments section of the video. You cannot possibly be that clueless and I hope this gets locked. They made a video that was subscriber only the same as the SNES party stuff and the happy hour. Whats the big deal? No one complained about the SNES party and it was only about five or six ridiculously over the top people that complained about the new video. If you want to watch the video pay them the money, it is actually that simple. The only complaint I had was the video not having a label telling me it was for subscribers only to save me clicking on it and they fix that fairly quickly.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@AhmadMetallic said:

@DeeGee said:

Woah.. so this is Giant Bomb now? If this got categorized as a "subscriber video", a totally random and funny old-game let's-play feature, then I don't see what would stop them from categorizing any other kind of video as "subs only". This is kinda gross

Seems reasonable. Instead of a regular happy hour, they're doing more junk like randomly playing old games.

As long as quick looks and such are available for everyone, I think we're fine.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By zor

:( my inability to see this video makes me sad. But they have to do what they need to do in order to make more money. Right now it isn't a problem, but if a lot (quick looks, ER (if those ever come back), etc...) more content goes this way, i'll prolly just go to another site. 

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By onarum
    @Zor said:
    :( my inability to see this video makes me sad. But they have to do what they need to do in order to make more money. Right now it isn't a problem, but if a lot (quick looks, ER (if those ever come back), etc...) more content goes this way, i'll prolly just go to another site. 
    Yeah well, the new ER is 99% sure to be sub only, quick looks in the other hand will always remain free.

As for the new random thing being sub only I haven't got a problem with that, they really need to add more content for subscribers and I think this is a reasonable way to do that.
    ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ikwal

It's a strange time we live in, when people feel like they are entitled to get everything for free. People get upset and act like they've been robbed of something that was theirs.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @onarum said:
    @Zor said:
    Yeah well, the new ER is 99% sure to be sub only
    Doubtful. Because there'd be huge backlash considering they've said they would NEVER take something away and turn it into a pay feature. It'd be like the Bombcast fiasco all over again.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By onarum
    @CL60 said:
    @onarum said:
    @Zor said:
    Doubtful. Because there'd be huge backlash considering they've said they would NEVER take something away and turn it into a pay feature. It'd be like the Bombcast fiasco all over again.
    IDK, ER's take a whole lot of time to shoot, edit and upload, it's an awful lot of work to do for free, especially if you desperately need to add exclusive content for subscribers, which they do.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Animasta

@CL60 said:

@onarum said:
    @Zor said:

of course, there's always the possibility that they stagger the videos a week or something.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @CL60 said:
    @onarum said: 
    Not quite. The difference is that the Bombcast is a regular feature. We've only ever had 2 Endurance Runs, so you can't really say making a 3rd subscriber-exclusive would be taking away content from non-subscribers, especially since they might not even have considered making another ER without making it only for subscribers.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EuanDewar

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

It's called incentive dawg.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By matoya

@onarum said:

@Zor said:
    Yeah well, the new ER is 99% sure to be sub only, quick looks in the other hand will always remain free. As for the new random thing being sub only I haven't got a problem with that, they really need to add more content for subscribers and I think this is a reasonable way to do that.

Oh fuck you. Where do people like you even pull these RIDICULOUS NUMBERS from? It's been documented several times that it's one of their highest trafficked video series, so I sincerely doubt that they'll make it subscriber only. Stop trying to blow things out of proportion, Jesus.

As for the OP, this entire thread in itself is a bit stupid. I don't understand why you ask "Is it sub only" when moments later you say "Yes it is". As if (SUBSCRIBER) next to it wasn't already enough?

It was something they did completely impromptu, when they shouldn't have even been working. They've talked about doing this kind of thing as a feature for subs for some time now. You can't just say "Oh how is this a sub feature" at every single thing they make sub only, because then why would they bother doing it?

Think before you post.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:
    @onarum said: 
    Not quite. The difference is that the Bombcast is a regular feature. We've only ever had 2 Endurance Runs, so you can't really say making a 3rd subscriber-exclusive would be taking away content from non-subscribers, especially since they might not even have considered making another ER without making it only for subscribers.
    Just because it's not a regular feature doesn't make it any different.. subscriber or not, they said they would never take content away, simple as that. If they made the ER subscriber only they would be going against that. 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ch13696
    @onarum said:
    @CL60 said:
    @onarum said:
    @Zor said:
    IDK, ER's take a whole lot of time to shoot, edit and upload, it's an awful lot of work to do for free, especially if you desperately need to add exclusive content for subscribers, which they do.
    Videos don't need much editing. Maybe a conversion to a different format. As far as the time to shoot, most of the time it's during their work hours.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @CL60 said: 
    Just because it's not a regular feature doesn't make it any different.. subscriber or not, they said they would never take content away, simple as that. If they made the ER subscriber only they would be going against that. 
    They also said they were never going to do an Endurance Run again and yet...
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch13696
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said: 
    Welcome to Giant Bomb. Where they take away what everyone wants and only the subscribers opinion matters.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By mikemcn

Yep, ISN'T IT FANTASTIC!

and I have a feeling the GB crew can't start anything subscriber only without people saying its gross. They aren't taking anything away, its not even technically an endurance run, they wanted a new feature to attract subscribers that they wouldn't have created otherwise.

@ch13696 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:
    Welcome to Giant Bomb. Where they take away what everyone wants and only the subscribers opinion matters.

They haven't taken anything from you, you are making a false statement, lieing on the internet should get old at some point, shouldn't it?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Mikemcn said:

Yep, ISN'T IT FANTASTIC!

and I have a feeling the GB crew can't start anything subscriber only without people saying its gross.

I personally am totally fine with the HD downloads and theater mode and the special store offers and happy hour, etc... Those are all premium additions/extras/specials that premiums should get for paying

but making a video-game-related video on this video game website exclusive to subs? come on.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By KarlPilkington

@ch13696 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:

What has been taken away?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By onarum
    @Matoya: whoa, buthurt much? chillout man I'm not trying to "blow things out of proportion", I'm just saying what I truly believe will happen, and imo it's in their full right to make ERs and whatever the hell else they want sub only.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes it is. Dave explained why in the video comments:

This is not regular content. This is two workaholics stuck at the office on a holiday weekend trying to mess around with an extremely ancient and difficult PC game with a live audience of people that pay our bills. It, like most anything we do beyond the scope of our normal day-to-day work, is us trying to think of ways to thank a minority audience who can fathom what it must be like to compete against mainstream Internet media with a mere basement of talented people. There are 2000 non-trailer videos on Giant Bomb. This is number 71 of subscriber only ones.
    We will continue to do fun, random things for our paying members when we have time for it.
    Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bobstar
    @onarum said:
    @Zor said:
    Yeah well, the new ER is 99% sure to be sub only, quick looks in the other hand will always remain free.  
    They already said that they won't take existing features and make it subs only.
    prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By prestonhedges

If they make Endurance Runs subscriber-only, I'll just spend five dollars every month mailing Giant Bomb a picture of me laughing instead.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lunar_Aura

That video was really cool and made me happy to be a subscriber. Yeah I kinda think it sucks that it's sub only but maybe they can consider it to be a timed exclusive or something, I dunno.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By onarum
    @Bobstar said:
    @onarum said:
    @Zor said:
    They already said that they won't take existing features and make it subs only.
    Yes, and I'm sure that IF they do make future ER(s) sub only the existing ones will still be watchable by all.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Giving subscribers more value for their money is completely reasonable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

I would think that any long term member who has enjoyed so much of the site's content that they refer to Dave and Vinny as beloved would want to subscribe to pay for future endeavours and wouldn't be a cheap-arse seflish shit-eating cuntrag with a false sense of entitlement. But that's just me.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By matoya

@onarum said:

@Matoya: whoa, buthurt much? chillout man I'm not trying to "blow things out of proportion", I'm just saying what I truly believe will happen, and imo it's in their full right to make ERs and whatever the hell else they want sub only.

How is that butthurt at all? I have a subscription. Stop throwing buzzwords around because you think you're right

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By prestonhedges
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

I would think that any long term member who has enjoyed so much of the site's content that they refer to Dave and Vinny as beloved would want to subscribe to pay for future endeavours and wouldn't be a cheap-arse seflish shit-eating cuntrag with a false sense of entitlement. But that's just me.

We're in charge of Giant Bomb's payroll now? Man, they're worse off than anyone thought.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By metal_mills

@BulletproofMonk said:

Giving subscribers more value for their money is completely reasonable.

No it's not. See, the people who don't subscribe have said they don't because there isn't enough content. So they ask what content people want and they say more Dave/Vinn PC stuff. So Dave and Vinny take a chunk out of their weekend to give that content. Now those same non-subscribers are complaining because now there is actually content worth paying for but they are still too damn cheap and stingy to spend $5 a month and expect it to be free. Can't you see how GB is being so unethical and ripping us off?!

To everyone whinging that it's members only, as Ryan would so elegantly put it "fuck you".

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@SeriouslyNow said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

There's a difference between being entitled, and feeling deprived of the reason you visit this website: video-game-related videos by the staff we all love. Entitled people who think this website and all the work and effort that go into it should be 100% for free are assholes who don't deserve attention. Money is needed, and premium membership pays the bills. Those who do subscribe are good supportive people, so give them the world, they deserve it, but that world shouldn't include the thing we're all here to see and discuss on the forums and enjoy together.

Like i said, all kinds of extras and specials and better options and interfaces and editors, but not the video-game content.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that I really care or anything, but just to make things clear for those people who keep saying the ER will be subscriber-only:

The reason they can make this Daggerfall thing a subscriber feature is because it is an old ass and FREE to download game. They cannot put up footage of a recent game (that is still sold in stores) behind a pay wall, otherwise they'll get sued by the publisher.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.