Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

New game engine being used!

• 87 results
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By natetodamax

This is great news!

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Stete

Oh yes, yes YES!!!! The engine was amazing when Oblivion came out but it really started to show its age. Now all that's left to do is remove the level scaling, make all npcs killable and a proper UI for the PC version.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By AuthenticM

I can sleep in peace until the 11th of November. :)

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By jkz

They revealed this a while ago. Before they had even said what they were making, Todd Howard had been giving interviews stating that they were working hard on a new engine (I read it in both EDGE and GAMEStm). 

Still, glad to hear it.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @MattyFTM:  Looking at this list of Gamebyro enabled products and...I think I might have to disagree. You have to admit that most of these games are pretty messed up in multiple ways. Whether you want say it's all coincidence or look at the one common factor is opinion, but mine is that Gamebryo hasn't been viable for a while now.

It's a great decision for them to move on.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't think everybody should be getting so excited about getting rid of Gamebryo glitchiness.  New engines are more than a little prone to having lots of bugs.  Also, this engine is built by a lot of the same people who built the Gamebryo engine.

Still, it will be nice just to have a new look to the game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Spoonman671: I don't know about the new engine being developed by the same dudes. The company that made Gamebryo closed its doors a couple of months ago, and a year ago a lot of the employees lost their jobs. I would think that Bethesda has its own internal team working on the engine ever since Oblivion shipped 5 years ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not.
    DrChipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DrChipotle
    @ryanwho said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @captain_clayman said:

" please be idtech, please be idtech...  it's not gonna be idtech. "

It sure isn't. Todd Howard pretty much said this in a rcent EGM interview. Also I think people are giving idtech 5 more credit than it should deserve. In that interview Howard alluded to that engine not being dynamic enough for what they wanted out of an Elder Scrolls game.

I mean Rage isn't even going to have day/night cycles. John Carmack says it's because there's always a time of day where any scene will look like complete crap, no matter how much work an artist puts into it and they're going for visual perfection. I frankly don't believe that. "
    Frankly, kid, you have no experience at all with 3d dynamic lighting and don't know shit. Some devs just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day, and you can tell when they do that cus the shadows look like ass. "
    Oh hey, it's a troll. Come back when you have something to say that' has some intent other than to condescend, "Kid."  BTW if you want the ability to ignore users so badly, why not use your own mental filters and ignore the posts manually? Because then you'd starve to death without people feeding the trolls. You would literally post nothing at all. "
    I'd like you to know a single thing about something before acting like you're an expert. Dynamic lighting is hard, building a really good day night cycle into an engine is hard. People who have any kind of 3d experience know that, random jackasses who have opinions on shit they know nothing about don't know that. And now you know. Some people here actually know a few things about the logistics that go into a game engine, so you can't just guess and hope nobody notices you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. K? "
    Yes, dynamic lighting is hard. Incidentally, so is pretty much the entire process of making a game. I don't think that anyone suggested Rage 'just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day', and it's obvious to those of us who 'actually know a few things about the logistics that go into a game engine' that if the people making Rage wanted to put a day/night cycle in their game they could. Or maybe I'm just a random jackass.

P.S. What self-respecting developer throws a single directional light in and calls it a day? I don't know what kind of games you're playing but they're production values sound lacking.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Meowayne

Its just gonna be a reskinned and maybe renamed Gamebryo.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By stinky
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " Thank. Christ. 

I loved Morrowind and Oblivion when I played them but going back to them is like pulling wisdom teeth. Given a new engine, TES is a relevant series.  "
    go to a different oral surgeon, nitrous oxide is the shit. hear the sound of your teeth cracking and all you can do is smile.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By jakob187

I like that people are getting excited about Bethesda using a new game engine... 

...the same way they got excited about Gamebryo whenever Oblivion was coming out. 

People, don't build yourself up for disappointment.  Wait until we get reports from actual gameplay time.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By kishan6
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Hopefully that means a new engine for the next Fallout game. "
    yes please
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By BaneFireLord

CryEngine3. That'd be sweet.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Best thing I've heard all month. Let's just hope the new one isn't also janky as fuck, feeling optimistic though.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @jakob187:  Morrowind used Gamebryo all the way back in 2002.

You can't expect perfection out of a game so large no matter what magical engine they're using, but this will not be another New Vegas. It'll get delayed for a whole year before that happens.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By Diamond
    @jakob187 said:

" I like that people are getting excited about Bethesda using a new game engine...  ...the same way they got excited about Gamebryo whenever Oblivion was coming out.  People, don't build yourself up for disappointment.  Wait until we get reports from actual gameplay time. "

And Oblivion had the best forests ever at the time.  So what you're saying is this will be the best looking game ever?  AWESOME

I wouldn't base gameplay expectations on an engine one way or another...
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @BaneFireLord said:
    " CryEngine3. That'd be sweet. "
    Ya, like that's gonna happen.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Gabriel

Great now now maybe I can actually use ladders.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#69  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @jakob187 said:
    " I like that people are getting excited about Bethesda using a new game engine...  ...the same way they got excited about Gamebryo whenever Oblivion was coming out.  People, don't build yourself up for disappointment.  Wait until we get reports from actual gameplay time. "
    At the very least, it will probably look and possibly play better. I was kind of getting tired of all the plastic robots that inhabit the worlds of Gamebryo titles. Will it probably be super janky? Yeah. But that's par for the course (on the other hand, people seem to forget that Oblivion was far less janky than either of the Fallouts).
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @RollingZeppelin said:

" @BaneFireLord said:

" CryEngine3. That'd be sweet. "

Ya, like that's gonna happen. "

But yeah, never going to happen in any official capacity.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jimbo

From RPS: 

"There was some debate over what engine the new Elder Scrolls game would be using, and all signs seemed to point to GameBryo. However, writing on Twitter earlier today, Bethesda Softworks community manager Nick Breckon said: “We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic.” I asked him what “new” means in this case, and whether it was simply a new version of the Gamebryo engine that powered Oblivion and the recent Fallout games. He responded: “It’s a new graphics/gameplay engine built internally. We’ll have more details down the road.”

I'll wait for them to show it before passing judgement.  The language seems somewhat... evasive.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's great, so it won't look so early gen now.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By Enigma777

I hope there's no bugs... 

LMAO!

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By FireBurger

I'm very glad that it's running on a new engine, but even if it weren't I'd still be really excited. People who are doubting this new engine need to remember that Gamebryo was goddamn impressive at release, jank or no jank. I expect the same from this one. I can't wait.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Potter9156

I thought they said it was just a "heavily modified" version of Gamebryo. Kind of like how the Oblivion engine was a new engine, when in reality it was just a modified version of the Morrowind engine.  

engineengineengineengine

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Twitchey
    @CitizenKane:  Holy shit I know, New Vegas raped that engine in the ass.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

YES YES YES YES YES yes yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES YES YES yes yeseseesesessesesseeee 

YES >insert exclamation mark< !! 

I have been wanting this ever since playing Fallout: New Vegas.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By iam3green

yeah nice. i hope that my computer can run it. i doubt but it's great compared to the console ones.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By vitor
    @captain_clayman said:
    " please be idtech, please be idtech...  it's not gonna be idtech. "
    Rumours were it was a heavily modified Gamebryo - but that wouldn't count as a 'new engine', not unless they were playing with the definition there. 

Still, as long as they have a couple more animators/voice actors on board, I'll be happy
    Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Vital
    @Vitor: I keep hearing this, but no one has posted a link to this rumor. What has made people think that this "New Engine" is just a modified Gamebryo?
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#81  Edited By SBYM

Bitchin'! A whole new engine filled to the bursting point with bugs. Oh, the glorious bugs!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By vitor
    @Vital said:
    " @Vitor: I keep hearing this, but no one has posted a link to this rumor. What has made people think that this "New Engine" is just a modified Gamebryo? "
    Rumoured when people knew about Elder Scrolls 5 happening pre-reveal.  

Can't find a source but I do hope it was indeed just rumours after all. 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And there was much rejoicing.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Pibo47
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Thank god.  I can't think of anything else to say. I'm ready for more Elder Scrolls! "
    AGREED! This was my one contention, and now since its put to rest...i need moar TES
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By grilledcheez

I would have been happy with the current one, but this is even better!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By TheHBK

I don't really think there was anything totally wrong with the engine.  Though it includes jank, open world games would feel weird without it no?  Optimization would be nice but we hate on it because of how much more jankier the engine seemed as Fallout 3 and New Vegas came out.  All I remember complaining about in Oblivion was the load times on the 360 and the framerate hiccups and vomits.  Yeah, not much else for me.  But its a new engine... so its not on Rage Engine?  I guess it wouldn't be since they were working on it a while now.  more than 5 years since oblivion came out. 
    Either way, I am building a new PC for this game, and am thinking about getting an SSD just to make sure this shit runs smoothly and fast. 

Also, they they need a new nuclear apocalypse game, go back to your roots bethesda!!! Terminator!!!! 

Anyone have a link to the video that came out showing a new game engine that people were speculating would be for the next elder scrolls, and i think it had a dragon in it.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By meteora

About fucking time. It felt like forever that they've been using that old engine.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This can either be fantastic news or horrible news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.