Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The King of Fighters XII

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 10, 2009

The twelfth main installment of the tag-team fighting game series features a complete overhaul of the series' 2D graphics, with the first major overhaul of the series' character sprites in 13 years.

Ignition to Deliver King of Fighters XII

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    More of that three-on-three combat that you know and love.
    Ignition Entertainment has announced plans to produce a version of The King of Fighters XII--the latest in SNK's long-running KOF franchise--for North American and European audiences sometime next year.

I took a pretty long look at KOFXII during this year's Tokyo Game Show and it looks kind of amazing. The redrawn sprites look great while still maintaining the basic style that the series has maintained for years. There are also some cool little graphical effects, like the way shadows can cast onto half of your character if you're standing on certain parts of a stage.

That graphical overhaul is the key piece of info in Ignition's announcement, as things like a firm release date, a feature set, or even a list of which platforms it will come to aren't currently available. 360/PS3 seems likely, given the resolution and clarity of the original game's artwork.

In other North American KOF news, Ignition is also scheduled to release a version of The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match on the PlayStation 2 on January 20. Heavy D! fans raise up!
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Ignition Entertainment has announced plans to produce a version of The King of Fighters XII--the latest in SNK's long-running KOF franchise--for North American and European audiences sometime next year.

I took a pretty long look at KOFXII during this year's Tokyo Game Show and it looks kind of amazing. The redrawn sprites look great while still maintaining the basic style that the series has maintained for years. There are also some cool little graphical effects, like the way shadows can cast onto half of your character if you're standing on certain parts of a stage.

That graphical overhaul is the key piece of info in Ignition's announcement, as things like a firm release date, a feature set, or even a list of which platforms it will come to aren't currently available. 360/PS3 seems likely, given the resolution and clarity of the original game's artwork.

In other North American KOF news, Ignition is also scheduled to release a version of The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match on the PlayStation 2 on January 20. Heavy D! fans raise up!
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Ignition? Doesn't SNK normally bring them over?

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spankmealotus

hmmm

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By darkjester74

meh.

AtomicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AtomicEdge

KoF, MK and SF all within a year of each over? This all makes me want to reach for my SNES pad!

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Nettacki

ooohhhh. coool.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By albedos_shadow

Between this, MKvDC, Street Fighter IV, and Street Fighter II: HD Remix, I might finally have to invest in a solid arcade stick this year.

khatru420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By khatru420

@ albedos - me to mate :)

and this game looks amazing...if you don't like 2d fighters then fine, but in a world of guns and WW2 shooters...games like this even though done before, are a breathe of nostalgic air, cannot wait!

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Definately buying this. Looks gorgeous...a part of me wishes Capcom went this way with SF4.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

Ooh, King of Fighters on the 360 and PS3...interesting.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agent_lost

oh yea, time to get myself an arcade stick for the 360

orisha33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By orisha33

Cool fighting games arrive in 2009!!! Can´t wait!!!!

cryptic_code

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cryptic_code

I played the Japanese version of The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match and it wasn't that great. I would probably skip the US release.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Awesome awesome awesome, I love this game!, I cannot wait for a 360 version to hit. The art style is far more pleasing to me than any recent crap, including Street Fighter 4, which has a art style I still despise for the most part.

The 2D drawn sprites and the masses of animation frames make this game look stunning. They feel alive when you bare witness to them in motion. I consider it a HUGE shame that their latest inclusion into the Samurai Shodown series did not take this fine approach also. Sen is a fucking mockery of all that is great about the franchise..

Looking forward to this a lot, all I want now is SNK to pull the fingers out and put the original Last Blade onto Wii

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By yellownumber5

I liked KOF and Final Fight back in the day over Street Fighter.  Maybe because they were more mechanical and matter-of-fact in their structure that I could figure it out easier.  I had never been a big fighting game fan because of having to learn ambiguous button combos and added moves on top of those... so the more simple structured fighters that were ultimately about reflex and speed made my day.  Note I also liked Killer Instinct and Primal Rage (my favorite).  Adversely Tobal 2 and Bushido Blade for the PS1 are my other favorites which tool out ALL knee jerk fighting and replaced it with only finely timed set up combos.  Man I wish I could play Tobal 2 again... I'll have to see if there is an abandonware on the net.

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By siLVUR

This is awesome news. I love the KoF series though I'm not any good at it, I find it better than SF.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

Lookin good

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.