Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

The Early Hours of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

• 103 results
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Contro

I liked the flight in the demo, I found it more engaging than sailing or riding, I can see lots of cool possibilities with it, that whale fight is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure...

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@RE_Player92: People are that lazy? And you could buy the SE and get a Wiimote with MotionPlus built-in.

In addition, Twilight Princess is a good game, with some really cool things in it (boss fights and boss monsters were fantastic) but it did not catch me like TWW. Also, Okami came out right before it and outshined it even more.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By JazGalaxy

Klepeck really needs to stop editorializing every chance he gets. I even agree with him, bu tit's not news. Leave your opinions at home and report on the news.
    Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Tan
    @JazGalaxy said:
    Klepeck really needs to stop editorializing every chance he gets. I even agree with him, bu tit's not news. Leave your opinions at home and report on the news.
    This is called a preview, not news. 

And that bit about the 25th anniversary put a huge grin on my face. :D
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Afroman269

Your feelings on Twilight Princess basically sum up mine, except I did finish the game and I honestly can't remember what happens in the end. Nothing compelling really happened. I am looking forward to Skyward Sword. I just wish the artstyle went further.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#56  Edited By jacksukeru

I sort of got fed up with Twilight Princess at the final dungeon but still managed to force myself to finish it, now I hardly remember a thing about that game. Well, except for snowboarding against a yeti of course.

Doing the stabbing motion with the Wiimote sounds like a pain, as do the regular sword swings, but hearing you describe the combat as 'quick and deliberate' makes me think that perhaps it won't be so bad.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#57  Edited By Brackynews

Kid Icarus cameo confirmed?

JuxJuxJux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By JuxJuxJux

Thanks for this write-up Patrick! I'm really excited to play SS now!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By bybeach

Link makes me horny. Also that guy in the background of the 'Picked On' pic looks like a nerdy gamer. I can't think of anything else constructive, oh except long ago my wife really liked playing the first Zelda. Neat game really....

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By supercubedude

I'd love for this to be a new and interesting Zelda game, but I don't trust Nintendo to make that happen. I bet this game will still be damn good though.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By originalgman
    @SlackerMonkey Twilight Princess was fantastic, people just gotta complain about something. I'm really finding Zelda 2 to be off-putting, but i'm going to keep on taking a crack at it because if there is one thing I trust in videogames, it's Zelda.
    Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Moonshadow101

Looks pretty cool, I'm pretty fond of the art style.

I'm sick of all the hate for Wind Waker hate. I don't have a problem with cell-shading, I have a problem with eyes-bigger-than-hands CHIBI-LINK.

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Max_Hydrogen

"Majora's Mask is the series high." Dammit Klepek, no matter what, you'll always be able to redeem yourself.

RESPECT THE MASK!

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ThePilgrums

And I'm sick of the hate of Wind Waker having heard it for years and years, and it being a mostly fun, nice looking game. And is, in my opinion, one of the best in the series. (Plus I think this Link is even uglier. He has a weird Michael Jackson thing going on that I find off-putting.)

Anyway, Skyward Sword sounds like just what the series needed after the mostly forgettable Twilight Princess. And I liked TP. It was just drab compared to the colorful, beautifully animated visuals in Wind Waker. And half the dungeons were pretty boring. I have high hopes for this.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Chop

I'm with ya Patrick. Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game I really enjoyed. 

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ShadowMountain

My respect for you has sky-rocketed Patrick after hearing your thoughts on Majora's Mask. Fantastic game.

As an apology for my awful pun, here is the Skyward Sword 'Romance' trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccK3kg26xKg&noredirect=1

Awwwwww!

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LetsRockBaby

Sounds good. I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess as much as I had thought I would (didn't beat it either). Here's hoping I'll adore this one as much as I have the pre-TP Zeldas I've played.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
    BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

I'm just here to go "Nice The Wire reference, Patrick." because no one else did.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By sawtooth

"feels like Wind Waker", I'm in.

I was in before but then I got out and then back in, but more.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Contro
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By coakroach

This just makes me hope the Wii U and 3DS completely bomb so Nintendo gets out of hardware.

Because if I could play this and Galaxy on the PS3 I would be a happy chappy

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By golguin

I feel that Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda game and I played and beat Ocarina and Twilight Princess. Hearing that Skyward Sword is more like WW has reignited my interest in the game. Hell, seeing that trailer with a more human Zelda makes her feel like Tetra and I liked Tetra. I guess its time for me to finally get hyped over the game.

Avatar image for gold_experience
    Gold_Experience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Gold_Experience
    Then again, I'm the kind of Zelda fan who champions Majora's Mask as a series high.

Patrick...I salute you.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dread612

That screen shot of that dude(?) pointing at Link's face removes any interest in playing this game for me.

Nevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Nevi

A lot of people extoll Wind Waker's virtues and repeatedly say "Fuck all those people who don't like it because of the cel-shaded super-deformed art style", to the point it has become both a fad and fallacy. The Bombcast is certainly not the first place I have heard this sentiment expressed. I have not seen anyone deriding WW's graphical style for some years now. However, I do see people using this stance to really rag on Ocarina of Time and particularly Twilight Princess, far more than anyone is criticising WW...

Speaking personally, WW and Phantom Hourglass are the only Nintendo developed Zelda games I have not played through more than once, not because of the art style, but because I don't feel motivated to go through all that sailing again. Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience playing through both those games. I love the variety they brought to the series both visualy and in terms of gameplay. But I don't feel compelled to play them again as I have with all the others. I don't hold the WW art style to be superior or inferior to that of Ocarina of Time or Twilight Prince but I don't think I need a fourth game in that art style. I am happy Skyward Sword seems to be attempting another art style (albeit somewhat half-heartedly).

Tsukatchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Tsukatchi

I really cannot wait to get my hands on this game!

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Norusdog

meh. Nintendo shows that they can still make a good Zelda game.

but it's still more of the same bullshit. Not interested anymore. Give us something new Nintendo or GTFO.

at least with mario they've done different things...see Galaxy...or Sunshine (which I actually liked.) Zelda is just more...pre-pubescent kid, saves princess zelda XXXVIIIth, and kills Ganon.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#79  Edited By Giantstalker

The sailing killed Wind Waker, and made Twilight Princess the better game of the two.

Here's to hoping Skyward Sword is more like the latter, rather than the former.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By jacksukeru

@Contro: I was already onboard for this game but those videos SOLD me.

Yes, even the sword training one. The music <3

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#81  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm with you on Twilight Princess, Patrick. It was a lame, formulaic Zelda game that wasn't bad but just wasn't as good as it should've been. I wrote a long blog post about it that people should check out.

Wind Waker is stylistically my favorite Zelda game by far and it excites me to learn that this game feels like that. I've got this preordered with that $20 credit from Amazon for Gears 3.

All that said, Majora's Mask ain't all that. It always seemed like an interesting experiment that was kinda lazy for recycling almost all of its assets and it doesn't hold up at all today.

gogobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By gogobomb

god why are so many people here so anti zelda? zeldas probably the best thing nintendo has come up with. and if you assholes only care about call of duty then GTFO. why should you care about zelda?

Rexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Rexicon

Yo that picture with the 'big tough bullies' pickin on link makes me all kinds of uncomfortable. Every single person in that fucking picture is weird. I mean just look at the crazy sassy queen being all sassy at link. Not to mention Link himself is a pouty faced pirate cabin boy sex slave. And jesus, look at Beaker in the back there. What the fuck character art direction is this game going with?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By asurastrike

@gogobomb said:

god why are so many people here so anti zelda? zeldas probably the best thing nintendo has come up with. and if you assholes only care about call of duty then GTFO. why should you care about zelda?

Many of us grew up with Zelda, but when every Zelda game since 1998 has almost literally been the same game, we've become a bit cynical.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By John1912

@Rexicon said:

Yo that picture with the 'big tough bullies' pickin on link makes me all kinds of uncomfortable. Every single person in that fucking picture is weird. I mean just look at the crazy sassy queen being all sassy at link. Not to mention Link himself is a pouty faced pirate cabin boy sex slave. And jesus, look at Beaker in the back there. What the fuck character art direction is this game going with?

Lol....I guess you really summed it up. Picture totally needs to be on the back of the box with your comment under it! Man got a bit of Something about Mary hair going on there.....

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Phoenix87

"it's also possible Twilight Princess was simply boring."

I agree Patrick, Twilight Princess bored me to death, and Mojora's Mask is my favorite Zelda also.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game I think.
    As long as you play it on the Cube as I did.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GS_Dan

I'd pay more attention to this game if it was just on a gamepad. I'm not going to buy motion plus for a console I no longer play.

And Twilight was hella dull, especially after Wind Waker.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TheChaos

So I heard that Skyward Sword takes the earliest place in Zelda chronology now.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#91  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Asurastrike said:

@gogobomb said:

Many of us grew up with Zelda, but when every Zelda game since 1998 has almost literally been the same game, we've become a bit cynical.

I honestly disagree with this assessment. The only Zelda game I've ever felt was formulaic and the same old thing was Twilight Princess. Wind Waker was so neat and unique, as was Phantom Hourglass, and the Game Boy games have always had their own style and gameplay. Spirit Tracks was kinda boring too, but I've beaten every Zelda game and the only one I straight-up don't like very much is Twilight Princess.

But yes, Zelda needs to get Super Mario Galaxy treatment. Maybe this will be it. If they don't have an orchestra doing the soundtrack then they already fail for me.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Contro

Yea, Wind Waker was a gem of a game, a veritable breeze of fresh air.

The Zelda series will always have it's core elements, the things Nintendo have decided embody the essence of Zelda, but if that's all you seeing, I really think your not looking closely enough. Every Zelda game I know has tried to do something new, some more than others of course, successfully or not is dependant on your personal view. I personally think TP had some very welcome aspects, but the tone of the game, and it's lack of creativity, which was largely born by it's inadequate cumbersome controls, made the game feel very dull and dreary. It felt unremarkable for a Zelda game coming after WindWaker, also, most Wii buyers expected 1:1 controls and the possibilities that could bring to the classic gameplay, and new gameplay.

It simply failed to capture my heart and imagination like Wind Waker. From the very first moment in Wind Waker, I was sucked into that world slowly but surely, I left Outset Island applying some thought to the people I was leaving behind, and that only heightened my excitement for the world I was going to discover. I can still hear that peppy horn music in my head now, lol. In TP I failed to create that feeling, and it had ramifications on the rest of my adventure. I think it has to do with integrity, I was like, if you can't make me feel something for these people around me now the start of the game, why are you even bothering?.

AJ47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By AJ47
    @MormonWarrior said:
    I honestly disagree with this assessment. The only Zelda game I've ever felt was formulaic and the same old thing was Twilight Princess. Wind Waker was so neat and unique, as was Phantom Hourglass, and the Game Boy games have always had their own style and gameplay. Spirit Tracks was kinda boring too, but I've beaten every Zelda game and the only one I straight-up don't like very much is Twilight Princess.
    But yes, Zelda needs to get Super Mario Galaxy treatment. Maybe this will be it. If they don't have an orchestra doing the soundtrack then they already fail for me

Twilight Princess gets too much grief for being "just" a formulaic Zelda game ( The wolf transformations added some new mechanics, & were the only battles that had any semblance of a challenge) its main issue was the overlong intro to the game (too much concentrated stealth too quickly added to the problem of 2 tutorials) which overshadows the good dungeon design.

As for the music some of it will be orchestrated, some won't.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Contro

@AJ47: Only some of the tracks are orchestral, so I guess it's already failed in your eyes.

The Galaxy guy is doing the music, so I have high expectations.

AJ47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By AJ47

@Contro: @Contro said:

@AJ47: Only some of the tracks are orchestral, so I guess it's already failed in your eyes.

The Galaxy guy is doing the music, so I have high expectations.

Oops, I messed up my quote, I was replying to the guy saying that it would fail without an Orchestrated soundtrack ( I don't care either way, I still enjoy LttP's soundtrack).

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jacksukeru

@TheChaos said:

So I heard that Skyward Sword takes the earliest place in Zelda chronology now.

Yup, and apparently it's supposed to hint at where Ganondorf came from or how he became who he is or something. I dunno, I heard that somewhere on the Internet.

Personally, I hope that Skyloft will be presented as the place where Hylians originated from, before establishing Hyrule.

AJ47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AJ47

@RockmanBionics said:

Personally, I hope that Skyloft will be presented as the place where Hylians originated from, before establishing Hyrule.

I think that it will be, TP hinted as much.

Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#98  Edited By Zalera

> Skyward Sword channels Wind Waker

Sold.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#99  Edited By Majkiboy

@Contro said:

this is a better post than the article. ty

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MindChamber

we should have a drinking game where everyone has to take a shot everytime Patrick says or types "hyperbolic"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.