Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Path

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 18, 2009

The Path is an adventure game inspired by the well known fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood. The player is given to choice to control one of six sisters, each at different stages of their lives.

Has anybody else "played" this

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

I've been meaning to for ages, and I figured it would make a nice change of pace after finishing Brotherhood. Which it is I suppose. After about an hour exploring with Carmen I've decided that I'm going to pick away at it slowly, but I was wondering if anybody on GB had a take on it. I think that it would have benefited from a little more explicit setup, but I understand why they decided to just dump you in. There is certainly nothing else like it, and I do have a lot of respect for it. That said, I am not huge into symbolism unless it is woven into something that already has meaning, so this won't be making my top 10 list or anything.

Oh yes, where was I? Right, has anybody on GB played this and what do you think about it?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I watched my friend play this. All in all it seemed to me it was definitely not a fun game, but if you're willing to open up your mind to the whole "games as art" notion The Path conveys a meaningful and interesting message.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

at one point i was going through the woods and this girl was either a ghost or clipping through the trees. so I dunno

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Undeadpool

My girlfriend bought and played this. She got as close to "beating" it as I guess you can, since I don't think it has a real ending. She liked the style and the atmosphere, but said it was also incredibly directionless and made little to no sense.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SSully

I got it as part of one of the indie game packs, i didnt bother to install it because it sounds like it is up its own ass, but ill give it a try someday. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

I haven't played it, but I researched it a lot as it intrigued me when it first came out.

It's not technically a game, per say. As someone else said, it's more of an art piece (similar to this other one you can get, I forgot what it's called but all you do is follow this old woman and a number of different things can happen including one where she just dies). From what I remember the developer intended it to be an experience with no particular answer so no "wrong way to play" and what you choose to do guides how your story will go... or something.

It's an interesting idea, and one that is constantly worked on by developers that do that type of thing more mainstream (like Bioware). I never bought it, though, as I don't see myself buying an art piece of interactive media that has no purpose and I cant hang on the wall, or place somewhere where it can just be. 

I don't know if that makes sense, but ya.... that's my thoughts on it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I watched a Let's Play.

It looked ok.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Animasta
    @CornBREDX said:
    " I haven't played it, but I researched it a lot as it intrigued me when it first came out.  It's not technically a game, per say. As someone else said, it's more of an art piece (similar to this other one you can get, I forgot what it's called but all you do is follow this old woman and a number of different things can happen including one where she just dies). From what I remember the developer intended it to be an experience with no particular answer so no "wrong way to play" and what you choose to do guides how your story will go... or something.  It's an interesting idea, and one that is constantly worked on by developers that do that type of thing more mainstream (like Bioware). I never bought it, though, as I don't see myself buying an art piece of interactive media that has no purpose and I cant hang on the wall, or place somewhere where it can just be.   I don't know if that makes sense, but ya.... that's my thoughts on it. "
    I just have it because it came in the indie fright pack, which also included The Void, which is a lot better as a game.

and makes less sense than this does, probably.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Dalai

I played it once for about 20 minutes. I bought an indie pack a while back and this game was in it, but I don't really know what to think of it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Laketown: Funny, I picked up the Fright Pack for this and wasn't aware of The Void until after. It is now on my list to play in the next month or so.

I suppose that once you've played a little bit of it you have the general idea, even if you don't finish the game (I understand that it does have an ending of sorts). It has a great atmosphere, and some nice touches.

And walking through Grandma's house was insane. In a good way.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Origina1Penguin

It is a bit eerie, especially when you enter the house. It is definitely not fun. There is some interesting symbolism in it that makes it feel more like an attempt at interactive artwork than a game. The collectibles make no sense to me. Overall, it is tedious and aimless and feels like an early concept for a bigger game than never came to be.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Origina1Penguin: I don't think it was ever intended to be fun.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I did. It's....weird.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @nintendoeats: Then in that regard, it's an enormous success.
    cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cabelhigh

I used to love this game to death. I don't know if I would now, but I found it's atmosphere creepy, it's non-existent story intriguing, and as a whole weirdly emotionally satisfying. Really, I wouldn't recommend it, but I had some good "fun" with it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

I haven't, but the wiki description makes it sound super compelling. Must try it at some point.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've played a good bit of it though I've still a lot to explore. The Path is one of those games that tend to rely a lot more on atmosphere and narrative so in a sense it's the closest thing to an "artsy game" if you want to call it that. I'm not here to argue for or against that. Anyway, from the short time that I played it I thought it was quite interesting and eerie. The first time I entered the house really unnerved me but highly intriguing all the same. Exploring off the path with the various girls also conjures up some really weird stuff too as well as altering the ending for each, most of them were pretty creepy. 

I dunno, it's a fairly unique game that you either appreciate or don't "get". Personally, I liked it but I didn't love it. I'll recommend that everyone should at least play it once though.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad

The premise is intriguing, but it doesn't sound like it would be a fun "game". I'll watch some videos of it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @Laketown: Funny, I picked up the Fright Pack for this and wasn't aware of The Void until after. It is now on my list to play in the next month or so.  I suppose that once you've played a little bit of it you have the general idea, even if you don't finish the game (I understand that it does have an ending of sorts). It has a great atmosphere, and some nice touches.  And walking through Grandma's house was insane. In a good way. "
    one thing if you DO go play the void, go download the easy patch. Seriously. I'm having trouble WITH the easy patch, you do not want to play it without it. and it'll take you a few do overs to finally grasp the mechanics.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder

I played a bit of it and then I ended up wandering around the forest aimlessly. Then I just stopped playing it =/ I'm not really sure what else to say. I guess it's something that I would have liked to like.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By Raven10

I've played through one of the girls a couple of times. It's a creepy game that doesn't have much in terms of gameplay or "fun". You just walk around a forest and look at things that you find. It all has symbolism and if you play every girl, I understand you get something of a coherent narrative assuming you find everything. It's definitely a piece of interactive art more than a "game". There are no levels, no way to lose, no obstacles to overcome, no score, nothing that would normally indicate that something was a game. If you want a unique experience then I say go for it. But go into it knowing you are not really going to be "playing" this "game" as much as you are going to be participating in a piece of interactive art. You can also try their other game The Graveyard. Again, not much of a game, more a piece of interactive art.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By WickedCestus

I haven't but after reading this thread I kind of want to.  I don't want to spend ten whole dollars on it though.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMustacheHero

YOU GO DOWN THE PATH TO YOUR GRANDMAS HOUSE AND SHE'S NOT THERE! THE END.

You beat the game in 20 seconds it's stupid!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nintendoeats
    @TheMustacheHero: This IS a joke, right?
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nintendoeats
    @supermike6: Its really not worth that much. I'm sure it will go on sale again.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @nintendoeats: It is a joke, but that's also what I did the first time through....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.