Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

This game is great!

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm shocked as to how good this has turned out, what with the clusterfuck that was Jurassic Park. Made me wonder if Telltale were capable of creating a more mature and sensible game.

Having just finished the first episode, and I shan't go into too much detail as it is very plot focused, so no spoilers here... I have to say that I think Telltale are almost there with their Heavy Rain influenced style of gameplay.

The moment to moment action is pretty well done, and some of the decisions you have to make are FUUUUUUCKED UUUP.

The story and characters seem super interesting thus far, and I can't wait for the next episode to hit.

If you were on the fence about this, I honestly can't recommend this enough! Well done Telltale! You done good!

What about the rest of you that have played it? Liking it so far?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zaccheus

I have not seen or read any of the previous Walking Dead material, but I have to say that the first episode was excellent. I've dabbled with the previous telltale stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of the adventure pixel hunt games. This was much more about the characters than clicking on the right thing which I really enjoyed. I'm definitely going to play the next one.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Morrow

@Creamypies:

I haven't read anything about this game, but when you said Heavy Rain influenced, you sparked my interest. So how similar exactly is this game to Heavy Rain? Is the combat only quick-time events (wouldn't mind)?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zaccheus

@Morrow: It's very Heavy Rain like. All action is QTEs and the focus is really on the characters and choices you are forced to make with them. There is a lot of time pressure to make decisions quickly. Your main character can't die like in Heavy Rain, but otherwise it's very much in the same ally. If you liked Heavy Rain you should enjoy this. At least I'm in that group.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morrow

@Zaccheus:

Whee! That sounds promising :) I love character-driven games/movies/books and I love zombie stuff, so I might pick this up as soon as it is available on Amazon :)

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By altairre

Yup, this game is totally awesome and some of the decisions are really tough to make. I wish it was longer though, now I have to wait until the next episode comes out...

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TentPole

I think this the best thing Telltale has ever put out and Telltale has put out some decent stuff.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I really enjoyed it; definitely a lot longer than I was expecting too, and I'm glad I took a gamble and purchased the season pass solely for my enjoyment of The Walking Dead tv series. I wasn't pulled in by the story and characters as much as I was expecting (besides Lee and Clementine, I don't particularly care at this point about any of the characters. Also Glen wasn't voiced by his TV counterpart which made me a little sadface), but I enjoyed the varying dialogue trees and how it actually looked like your choices and how you handled things had a very diverse effect.

The voice-acting is middling--some do a great job (GODDAMN DAVE FENNOY BRINGING THE BLACK BASS), others less so--but I enjoyed it all regardless, and the more active scenes were pretty tense and enticing. Oh, but the limited zombie model variety is just noticeable enough to be off-putting. Though that's about the only serious complaint I have.

EDIT: Also speaking for the ps3 version, there's some frame-rate issues and occasional hitch ups, which can break the pace.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Abyssfull: Damn, really? Telltale really have never mastered the art of porting their games to consoles, eh? The PC version, unsurprisingly, runs great! I love the art style.

Keep in mind though, that the game is more influenced by the novels than the TV series, so you can't expect direct comparisons to that. Hence why Hershel looked so different.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TentPole

Best thing Telltale has ever done.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Dalai

I've been skeptical of Telltale as of late, but now that I'm hearing good things about the first episode, I might try it out sooner than later.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Heard enough good stuff about this to help make up my mind. Going to grab a season pass tomorrow. My gf loved Heavy Rain so hopefully she like this to. Can you have seperate save files? I.e one for me, one for her.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kishinfoulux

The preview for the second episode is so damn hype. I can't wait.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By killacam

lovin it!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Sooperspy

I was very impressed with the first episode. I loved the style of gameplay, which is very reminiscent of Heavy Rain, and the art style is good too. The choices are difficult to make at points, and I love that. I even played through it twice yesterday to see how the game plays out differently. And even the "On the next episode of TWD" trailer thing changed based on the choices I made in each playthrough. So hyped for the second episode.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jozzy

I really enjoyed the first episode, normally not really an adventure gamer but like others say this is (way) more story than puzzle. It ran great on my crappy laptop too. Can't wait for episode 2!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Jackel2072

Edit: 

fuck it i bought it. you guys convinced me. 
    TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TLKnight

@Jackel2072:@Jackel2072 said:

Edit:

fuck it i bought it. you guys convinced me.

Same here, getting it off of psn right now

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SharkMan

i agree i think the writing and voice acting in this game compiled with the unique visuals, and intuitive controls, make this the easiest to recommend game of the year, for those looking for a story driven game. Parts in the story and how its dealt with ... i found myself tearing up multiple times.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to get my hands on this

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TehJedicake

Yup. I'm not even really a big adventure guy, nor a big story guy, and this first episode was pretty sweet.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HighPriest

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Can you have seperate save files? I.e one for me, one for her.

You've probably seen this elsewhere by now, but yeah. There are 3 save slots, which is also nice if you want to go back and try out some different decisions without overwriting your main game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've always disliked Telltale games, and I watched 25 minutes of the show before I had to turn it off from hate... but I love this game.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I have no interest in the series, but I am glad to hear it's good.

After Jurassic Park, I've been pretty worried about what Telltale were going to put out next. Shame that one misfire has damaged their reputation so much, everything else they've done has been brilliant.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By golguin

Just finished my first run and I thought the game was fantastic. I'm not really into point and click games, but it felt pretty intense.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#26  Edited By Kidavenger

I liked it, it's more a choose your own adventure story than a game though. If the choices you make change the story through out all 5 chapters this game will have amazing replay value.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By hockeymask27

Best 5$ I've spent in awhile so pumped for the next episode.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Aviar

I picked up the season pass last night on the PS3 and started playing through the first episode. I really like this so far, and hope that the remaining volumes just get better.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hunkulese

@Creamypies said:

@Abyssfull: Damn, really? Telltale really have never mastered the art of porting their games to consoles, eh? The PC version, unsurprisingly, runs great! I love the art style.

Keep in mind though, that the game is more influenced by the novels than the TV series, so you can't expect direct comparisons to that. Hence why Hershel looked so different.

It's fine. I didn't have any problems with the ps3 version.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee

@Hunkulese said:

@Creamypies said:

Well consider yourself lucky, I guess. It wasn't cripplingly bad, but it still broke the pace during some of the more hectic scenarios. Slight pauses between scene transitions or animations, that kind of stuff. The frame-rate would bog down sometimes when the camera would travel across like when you're outside the motel trying to save that girl.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grillbar

my only problem with the game is that i have to wait for episode 2 i mean the intro to the second story was so awsome.

and without spoiling anything i personally think that clem makes the hole game worth playing

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By donchipotle

TWD, like Heavy Rain, is a game that I don't want to play through again to see different choices. And I am okay with that.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By supamon

Just finished it and damn it's good! I just hope they vary up the type of choices or it'll basically devolve into who do you want to see live.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hunkulese

@Abyssfull: The only hiccup I had was a weird graphical glitch during the opening car scene where a convey of police cars and vans were just sitting stationary on the other side of the highway for the whole trip.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Abyssfull said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Creamypies said:

Well consider yourself lucky, I guess. It wasn't cripplingly bad, but it still broke the pace during some of the more hectic scenarios. Slight pauses between scene transitions or animations, that kind of stuff. The frame-rate would bog down sometimes when the camera would travel across like when you're outside the motel trying to save that girl.

I have a midrange PC, but it was still acting silly for me, as do all Telltale games do for me. I just don't think their optimizing guys are any good.

That being said, holy shit. This game was incredible. I have a little sister the same exact age as Clementine, and the story hit me so very hard.

It's extremely interesting that your choices carry over to the extent they do and they have that much weight. I can only imagine what the game will look like by episode five, and how fucking difficult that might be to write.

Citizens of Giant Bomb, buy this game!

Kirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kirex

I can vouch also for this game being great.

Also is it me or do some of the voice files have artifacts in them? Like hitching, crackles and such things.

I mostly noticed that in-game but it could be me and my rig.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By oraknabo

As big of a Lucas Arts fan as I have been in the past, nothing from Telltale ever got my attention enough for me to buy anything from them. I thought about getting Back to the Future, but quickly forgot it even existed.

When I first heard about this, even knowing that Kirkman was overseeing it, I was skeptical, especially with how much it looked like Jurrassic Park. But something about the Quick Look and the low entry price got me to download this today, and I was really impressed. It feels A LOT like the comics and I get the feeling I might even end up liking it better than the show. I wish in a couple of places there could have been a few options on how to handle a situation than one, but that's really my only complaint and I can't say many Lucas games ever let you do that anyway.

Also as an Atlanta resident, it never bothered me with the comic or show, but it seems really weird hearing people talk about Macon, Athens and Marietta in a video game.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By isomeri

This is the best thing I've played all year. Yes, even better than Journey.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#39  Edited By bobafettjm

Add me to the list of people that really enjoyed the game. I have actually really enjoyed everything from Telltale that I have played so far (haven't played Jurassic Park).

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jozzy

Yeah, loved the first episode. Not going to try other decisions until I played all 5 episodes with my current choices. I seriously doubt different choices will be that meaningful, and I don't want to destroy the magic by finding that out for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.