Theme Hospital - out now on GoG!

#1 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

This game has finally been released on GoG.com for $5.99 DRM free of course.

If you've never played it before, think Theme Park, but set in a hospital. You create your hospital, manage your staff, research cures for different (often hilarious) diseases and try to make as much money as possible.

#2 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -

If I had money, I would buy it, already got it on PS3 but man. Nostalgia.

#3 Posted by kristov_romanov (451 posts) -

I loved this game as a kid! I'm in!

I want to have GoG's baby.

#4 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

Certainly gonna pick this up, loved it back in the day.

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Man, Theme hospital was awesome. I might have to buy this at some point.

#6 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

I have the disc readily available, even an existing DOSBox installation of it, but I am still buying this slice of gaming awesomeness.

#7 Posted by falling_fast (2180 posts) -

fuck yes. one of my all time favourite games

#8 Posted by Village_Guy (2482 posts) -

Oh goddammit... I don't want to buy that game again. But that game is awesome, ahh, sure I'll bite.

#9 Posted by OtakuGamer (1223 posts) -

*breathes in* Finally.

#10 Edited by Srah (79 posts) -

Oh god, I'm getting this! I had such a great time playing this game as a kid.

#11 Posted by aspaceinvader (256 posts) -

Would a new version of this be welcome if EA were to make a new one?

#12 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

Oh wondrous gaming deities I thank you for this generous gift! ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

I really, really like this game an awful lot.

#13 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

Just a quick question for anyone who has bought this. Has it been updated to support modern resolutions? I know they update the games to run on modern OS's, but I haven't bought anything from GOG before, so I'm not sure about anything else. I don't need 1920x1080 (though that would be nice), but I'd like something better than 640x480 or 800x600.

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

@rawrsair said:

I could totally send you the disc I have here. Many years ago GAME had a bin just full of them.

#15 Posted by John1912 (1813 posts) -

Its fucking sad how great that game was lol. It pisses me off, I still never beat the damn thing. Tried so many times. God damn, rats, trash and PUKE everywhere! Anyone ever beat it? Got some late game tips on managing the unholy onslaught of patients?

#16 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

I'd hope the fact they are selling it means they've somehow fixed the game to work on modern computers. The mouse cursour being incredibly sluggish being the primary thing that made that game unplayable.

#17 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

For those asking, it's probably (im still at work) the DOS version they're selling which works wonderfully on Windows 7 x64 and looks great on a 16:10 23" monitor.

Of course if I'm wrong this entire post can be safely disregarded.

#18 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -
@John1912 The only tip I can offer is to set the level at which your staff take breaks to a low number, around 30%. They are then always happy, leaving you to focus on keeping the hospital running. You might need to hire more staff but it more than balances out, as you never have to raise and keep raising the pay of your doctors.
#19 Edited by rawrsair (819 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@rawrsair said:

I could totally send you the disc I have here. Many years ago GAME had a bin just full of them.

Damn, so would have snatched one up.

#20 Posted by SuperSambo (2849 posts) -

@rawrsair said:

I don't think ive seen a post of yours that says anything other than "I have no money"

#21 Edited by Mikemcn (6937 posts) -

There has been an open source clone of theme hospital out for a long time now. All you need is the demo. So it's free, however it isn't quite feature complete yet.

#22 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

@rawrsair said:

I don't think ive seen a post of yours that says anything other than "I have no money"

I start work next week, it'll all change then.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (3983 posts) -

@John1912 said:

Its fucking sad how great that game was lol. It pisses me off, I still never beat the damn thing. Tried so many times. God damn, rats, trash and PUKE everywhere! Anyone ever beat it? Got some late game tips on managing the unholy onslaught of patients?

Me too. I think I had 3 or 4 more levels to go but that still means I didn't get to see all the diseases. It's so frustrating getting 2 or 3 hours into a level then failing.

#24 Posted by Mijati (877 posts) -

This game is fucking awesome. I went to Gog.com and wasn't expecting to find it but when I saw it in the banner, my god. I have never reached for my wallet (or paypal account) faster than this.

Finally an easy (legit) way to play this on Windows 7 x64 (previously the installer wouldn't run from CD).

#25 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Awesome, still got my two original copies but for anyone who's never played it, Theme Hospital is a fucking delight.

#26 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

@kristov_romanov said:

I loved this game as a kid! I'm in!

I want to have GoG's baby.

GoG is supposed to have my baby. If you can have GoG's baby, and GoG can have my baby...

Oh gosh, gender bender!

#27 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1351 posts) -

I used to have this for the ps1, great game. I seem to remember everyone having 'piles' or something like it pretty much all the time. And yea, sick and rats all over the place.

#28 Edited by goalseil (10 posts) -

@Cameron: haven't tried it yet, but I think you can change the resolution in the graphic mode setup in the game folder

Edit: changing the settings by using graphic mode setup doesn't seems to work, you will have to edit the "dosbox.TH.conf" yourself to get it to work:

From MonkfishEsq on GOG forums:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Theme Hospital
Then open dosboxTH.conf and edit these lines
fullscreen=false
windowresolution=000x000 (whatever number you want)
output = overlay | opengl | openglnb | ddraw (you cant change the window resolution with surface)

I tried this method and it worked for me.

I really hope GOG can release Sid Meier's simgolf as well, I lost my copy quite a long time ago and I really want to play it again ever since Ryan mentioned it on a video.

#29 Posted by L (1681 posts) -
@rawrsair said:

PS3 version really doesn't stand up to the PC one. No soundtrack and everything takes like twice as long to do with a controller.
#30 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -

@L said:

@rawrsair said:

PS3 version really doesn't stand up to the PC one. No soundtrack and everything takes like twice as long to do with a controller.

Very true, it certainly doesn't

#31 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

Awesome, fantastic game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.