Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TurboGrafx-16

Platform »

The TurboGrafx-16, or PC Engine, is a console that was marketed as the first 16-bit console. It was for some time the market leader in Japan, but failed to capture a large market share in North America. It was best known for featuring the first CD-ROM peripheral, the TurboGrafx-CD. It also introduced features such as a multitap peripheral, internal save memory, and RAM expansions.

TurboGrafx Game Recs?

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Laurentech

As someone who never played a TurboGrafx/CD/PC Engine, I'm interested in checking it out. Can anyone recommend some games? I don't mind if they're Japanese-only releases. It's my understanding that a lot of those games were never brought over due to the system's lack of success.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Military Madness was my favorite game on the system, it's a turn based strategy game that was surprisingly deep.

Other great games:

Alien Crush or Devil's Crush good pinball sims for the time, not sure how well they would hold up, but I played the hell out of both back then.

Neutopia it was a Legend of Zelda clone, but not a copy, if you liked Zelda, there is a lot to like here.

Dragon's Curse, like Neutopia it is a clone of one of the Wonder Boy games on Sega but better.

Bonk's Adventure the system's biggest game, good platformer but pretty easy compared to other similar games at the time.

Ninja Spirit platformer, cool game but I remember it being very hard.

The Legendary Axe the second biggest game for the system, not a bad game but I think it's success was more due to the popularity of Golden Axe and people just wanting an axe game at the time even though they were nothing alike.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BlackLagoon

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is pretty spectacular. It's truly something else to see what is essentially an 8-bit game have lots of stylish set pieces and an excellent CD sound track.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Bonk, man. It's all about Bonk.

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Laurentech

@Kidavenger: @BlackLagoon: @PresidentOfJellybeans: Thanks you guys! I look forward to checking these out. :D

@csl316: I'm all about that Air Zonk.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316
    @Laurentech said:

@csl316: I'm all about that Air Zonk.

Hey man, if you like 'tude then you got  what you need.
    SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Dragon's Curse is actually a legitimate Wonder Boy game, it just doesn't help that the series lineage is the most confusing.

Most of my recommendations are Japanese, as I focus mostly on collecting PC Engine games.

Ai Cho Aniki is a perennial favorite, and is recommended if you like your shooters with homoerotic bodybuilder brothers, Sexy Dynamite, or a man shaped train ridden by tinier men. Pretty much all the Cho Aniki games that came afterwards were terrible, and not in a good way.

Shubibinman 3 is a great sidescroller. The series started off as pretty mediocre, but got exponentially better with each installment.

Y's 1-4. Do you like RPGs? Do you like RPGs were you do damage by running into your enemies? None of that matters, because Nihon Falcom's music is still fantastic. I submit the following as Exhibit A. Y's 4: The Dawn of Y's (there is a different Y's 4 on the Super Famicom) never got an official English release, but I have a slight inkling that you may not be playing on original hardware, in which case that isn't a problem.

Faussete Amour is a sidescrolling game with a hookshot mechanic and a heroine who loses clothing when she takes damage. Is it good? I...don't...know.

Some of my favorite games are arcade ports. I have a lot of love for The New Zealand Story and Liquid Kids, both by Taito. The best home version of Fantasy Zone is the PC Engine port (weirdly, a lot of Sega arcade ports were better on non Sega consoles).

If you're a fan of shoot 'em ups, this one of the best consoles for them. Just recommending good shooters would be its own post, and probably a lot longer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.