Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

VC blew all Sega's forecasts out of the water in 24h

• 105 results
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Yesterday, Valkyria Chronicles™ released for PC via digital download, and during its first 24 hours on sale blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water. The award-winning Strategy RPG, originally released in 2008 for PlayStation®3, forced its way to the top of the Steam download charts, beating a host of brand new games to reach number one.

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans for their support in the phenomenal success of this launch," said John Clark, Senior Vice President of Commercial Publishing for SEGA Europe, "We're also delighted at the response from the Steam community which indicates that newcomers to the series are finding it as enchanting and engaging as those who have played it before."

Source

This is fantastic news. VC will be seen by much more players now and sends the right message to Sega. If they localize them, we'll buy them.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nefarious_Al

Make a new one for current gen Sega. Do it! Playing through it again on PC, still like this game a whole lot. Susie best scout!

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who was it that said that there was no demand for this game on PC?

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By JamesJeux007

I like to put my money where my mouth is. And while I still have the PS3 version of Valkyria Chronicles and it has aged well enough that the PC version isn't that necessary (the cutscenes are the PS3 ones anyway), I just wanted to encourage SEGA to make the Valkyria Chronicles series available to a wider range of people. That's why I bought this version of the game. And I am happy to see I am not the only one.

Also, a lot of sales mean more people playing the game. And lemme tell you: more people playing Valkyria Chronicles is NO BAD THING.

P.S. : @nefarious_al: Aika best scout. She's from Skies of Arcadia, damn it !

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Total War, Football Manager and now this. PC <3 Sega.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC gamers are starved for Japanese games. It's the biggest weakness that Steam has. It's why I'm super glad Square is releasing stuff, as well. Hopefully more people get on board with this.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you do a great port of a fantastic game it will sell well, who knew :), good on them, I hope this will possibly give them the idea to bring VC2 and VC3 as well, but since those were psp games and VC3 wasn't even localized it would be a considerable greater effort to port, so I'll not get my hopes up.

But hey who knows, we might see a bayonetta 1 on pC or maybe Vanquish.

Played the hell out of the ps3 version and now will do everything once again on the PC, great game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Crossing my fingers for Vanquish.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Zelyre

It's apparently a pretty good port, too.

http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

Cut scenes are still PS3 resolution, there's no mouse support for menus, but other than those pretty minor issues, I'd say everything else looks great. Fully rebindable controls. Mouse and keyboard or controller support.

On a side note, as I went to buy it, I couldn't find Assassin's Creed. I thought maybe Ubi pulled it off Steam again, but it's just fallen off the top seller's list.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok Sega, now do something with that success.

...still waiting for more Yakuza.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@onarum said:

If you do a great port of a fantastic game it will sell well, who knew :), good on them, I hope this will possibly give them the idea to bring VC2 and VC3 as well, but since those were psp games and VC3 wasn't even localized it would be a considerable greater effort to port, so I'll not get my hopes up.

I really think this is what's going to happen. Considering every dollar coming in from now on is a dollar that Sega never even dreamed of getting from VC1, there is no reason why they should'nt at least consider doing it for 2 and 3. It might be trickier though since those are psp games and might look crappier on a pc screen.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@onarum said:

I really think this is what's going to happen. Considering every dollar coming in from now on is a dollar that Sega never even dreamed of getting from VC1, there is no reason why they shouldn't at least consider doing it for 2 and 3. It might be trickier though since those are psp games and might look crappier on a pc screen.

If they're on the same engine it shouldn't be tooooo hard, the engine scales incredibly well, still looking great at 4k+.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Well, that's what happens when you advertise a game and the internet has kinda been advertising the game in place of Sega for 6 years. The fact it's a good port and it only cost $20 obviously helps too though.

I hope in some weird way, this somehow convinces them to bring over PSO2...

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quarters

So, yeah, that means the same thing would happen with more Yakuza games in the West...right, Sega?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@demonbear said:
    @onarum said:

I really think this is what's going to happen. Considering every dollar coming in from now on is a dollar that Sega never even dreamed of getting from VC1, there is no reason why they shouldn't at least consider doing it for 2 and 3. It might be trickier though since those are psp games and might look crappier on a pc screen.

If they're on the same engine it shouldn't be tooooo hard, the engine scales incredibly well, still looking great at 4k+.

2 and 3 were on the PSP, and ran on a different engine. Still, porting it shouldn't be too difficulty.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It's like Sega has no idea which properties people actually care about and just assume Sonic forever.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still haven't picked it up, probably should as I never got around to finishing the game on PS3.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey these PC things are pretty hot. Who knew?

I never had a PS3 and I love SRpgs and strategy games in general, so I can't wait to pick this up for myself. I'm all for as many games being playable as many ways as possible.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"We will be glad to use this money on the next 3D Sonic"

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wish I had the money to pick this up when it released. I'll definitely be getting it whenever possible. I'm glad that it did well for them and that the port is actually good.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@gorillamopena said:

"We will be glad to use this money on the next 3D Sonic"

Mystery solved. The guy leading Sega is actually the disembodied ghost of Michael Jackson.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Wiki says they're the same engine, so really the only thing holding them back now is the localisation of 3. Other than one of the images I saw from either 2 or 3 looking a bit adolescent in nature, I'm all for more of these games being available for me to play.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Make a new one for current gen Sega. Do it! Playing through it again on PC, still like this game a whole lot. Susie best scout!

P.S. : @nefarious_al: Aika best scout. She's from Skies of Arcadia, damn it !

Freesia York is best scout AND best girl!

...Jann is best Lancer

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: The less powerful hardware impacted the game design, as well as lower poly models the maps were all broken up into chunks.

High res versions of the assets probably don't exist. At this point they should just make a new one.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robsamuel: Agreed, very much doubt they will put any effort into porting psp games regardless of this games success.

If they gauge interest to be high enough a new game would make more sense, and personally be more interesting, than a handheld port.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shows how out of touch Japanese devs are with the PC market.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"Nobody was really asking for Sega to port Valkyria Chronicles to PC"

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: The less powerful hardware impacted the game design, as well as lower poly models the maps were all broken up into chunks.

High res versions of the assets probably don't exist. At this point they should just make a new one.

Tbf, in checking the wiki pages, I realised I'd forgotten just how terribly low res that PSP screen was.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

How does the game look different on PC? Is a higher resolution the only differentiating factor or are other aspects of the visuals better as well?

I wonder how many units they've actually sold...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

How does the game look different on PC? Is a higher resolution the only differentiating factor or are other aspects of the visuals better as well?

I wonder how many units they've actually sold...

It is currently number 3 on the Steam top sellers list behind CoD and Football Manager 2015, so, pretty good.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

God does that mean I might finally get to play VC3? Dare I hope!?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! Moar on steam. Developers don't understand how much we like to have things nice and clean on STEAM. Hopefully this will send signals, I want Persona and Shadow of the Collosus and other random good games on PC!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! Moar on steam. Developers don't understand how much we like to have things nice and clean on STEAM. Hopefully this will send signals, I want Persona and Shadow of the Collosus and other random good games on PC!

Don't really think that Persona will happen, especially since the series seems to have an exclusivity deal with Sony. Sony VERY rarely allows their exclusives to be brought across to other platforms. Same with Shadow of the Colossus. Then again, Valkyria Chronicles was a PS3 only game, so who knows what may happen.

The success of this, the almost guaranteed success of MGS GZ and PP on Steam and the success/continued support of FF13 on Steam is a very positive indicator of things to come for the PC platform though, especially from the Japanese publishers and developers. It's almost as though PC players like paying for quality products or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esrever: Jane is best girl. She kills all Imp scum.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jimbo said:

Total War, Football Manager and now this. PC <3 Sega.

Alien Isolation received a nice response from the PC community, too, and that was also a Sega joint.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zeik

@adequatelyprepared: They clearly don't have any exclusivity deals with Q coming to the 3DS. It's more likely that they just can't justify releasing their games on multiple platforms. (They've only released a handful of multiplatform releases in their entire existence as a developer.)

Not that it changes the point. If they were going to pick other platforms to release games on I highly doubt PC would be a first choice. Unless this becomes some kind of SEGA initiative and they allocate resources outside of Atlus to handle PC ports.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spoonman671

I bought it solely so Sega would make a new one already. The game had such a solid gameplay core, and it would have been amazing if it had been iterated upon in a real, home console sequel. If Sega had taken the opportunity to work out the first game's issues in a proper sequel, then it would have easily been one of the best games of the generation.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

imagine if the persona games went to pc. Shit would be crazy. It'd be like a money printing machine.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah Susie best scout and girl. Doesn't get better than saying "I'm a pacifist!" right before she shoots some dude in the face.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@robsamuel said:

Tbf, in checking the wiki pages, I realised I'd forgotten just how terribly low res that PSP screen was.

Yeah that's what I meant, not much about the engine, but they'd have to pretty much redo all the art assets since the ones from the psp version when blown up to 1080p must look like utter garbage.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

What a nice, uplifting and positive piece of news.

:D

This game isn't perfect, but it deserves this success. Very happy to hear.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega have such a rich catalogue of games they could be taking advantage of but simply don't. Releasing this certainly was a surprise so let's hope that this trend continues rather than seeing Sega's typical out put of Sonic and Aliens.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Xel

As a huge fan of Valkyria Chronicles, I'm glad to see the game get some much needed love after all this time. Now if only Sega would see fit to make a new game in the series.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Bocam

@alexw00d said:

@turambar: 3 looking a bit adolescent in nature

Just an FYI but 3 probably has the darkest tone/story in the series, there are a lot of fucked up moments in that game

@starvinggamer VC3 already has a translation patch if you really want to play it

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexW00d

@bocam said:

@alexw00d said:

@turambar: 3 looking a bit adolescent in nature

Just an FYI but 3 probably has the darkest tone/story in the series, there are a lot of fucked up moments in that game

That's great and all, but I just don't want to see pictures of cartoon people with oversized boobs, it was probably just concept art, but ew.

For reference I meant this, it just creeps me the eff out soz. Damn wikia showing newly added stuff in the bottom corner.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I don't know if I should tell you this, but uh, you can find plenty of pictures like that of the first game too. They're not representative of the game.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Sadly that tends to be what gets games to sell in Japan these days

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Superkenon

@alexw00d: Based on the acronym attached to that image, I'd say that's from Valkyria Chronicles Duel, which is some weird mobile card game. It's fan-service-y as fuck. Still sadly VC-related, but nothing to do with VC3 itself.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jrm said:

@robsamuel: Agreed, very much doubt they will put any effort into porting psp games regardless of this games success.

If they gauge interest to be high enough a new game would make more sense, and personally be more interesting, than a handheld port.

Never say never. SEGA is weirdly committed to this - the port was made internally rather than being farmed out to a third party. Also, porting a PSP game is most likely quicker (and cheaper) than creating an entire new game from scratch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.