Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

22 Wii U Launch Games Confirmed For November 18th By Nintendo

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

So Nintendo.com has started listing dates for their launch games reports Trendygamers. If the dates wont change, here will be the launch games for the US release of the Wii U. Links take you to the Nintendo.com pages.

Here are some of the other games come out before the end of the year as well. Again, links take you to the Nintendo.com pages.

Other 2012 Wii U Games:

So for those of you that are going to get a Wii U on launch, what games are you going to get? For me I'm getting New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombiU, and Rayman Legends. Possibly Darksiders II (haven't played it yet) and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, but I haven't decided yet. And of course Nintendo Land since it comes with the Deluxe Bundle.

Video games!
    Video games!
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ImpendingFoil

New Super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU are my day one choices. I am really looking forward to Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 as well.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By JasonR86

I would consider buying three of those launch games. That is more then I thought.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dalai

Right now it's only New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land by default. That should last me through the holiday.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    • Nintendo Land (with the deluxe bundle)
    • New Super Mario Bros. U
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
    • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
    • ZombiU

Those are the ones I definitely will get upon release.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Gonmog

Good start.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@rebgav said:

The glaring absence of a high-quality first-party game stinks too.

I agree. I bought a Wii at launch purely for the purpose of playing a new Zelda game, and it's really disappointing to not see them trotting out something similar for Wii U. I'm sure the Japanese launch will go very well just due to the presence of Monster Hunter and the DQX Beta, but I'm not so sure that there's going to be any real heat behind the US or EU launches. Yes, they will sell out everywhere for the first few months, but that's not really indicative of all that much.

...Overall, I continue to just be very confused about Nintendo's overall direction and strategy right now.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

Seems like they actually got some good launch games this time. Isn't Nintendo notorious with having little to no launch games except for a title or two?

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Not sure what to get just yet, I need to play some of these games at the end of the month first

• Assassin’s Creed 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • Rayman Legends
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • ZombiU
  • @Nightriff said:

Seems like they actually got some good launch games this time. Isn't Nintendo notorious with having little to no launch games except for a title or two?

Yea, it's unprecedented.

I think some are underestimating the quality on NSMB U, it's no NSMB2, it seems like Nintendo have put some real effort into it - some great ideas and level design from what I've seen. And those community features that run within the game are excellent. What I dislike is the NSMB style, even though some of those level BG look gorgeous. It's not enough, but I understand it from a sales perspective. Nintendo have said there will be no more for the current handhelds and the console. I'm OK with that.

Thinking about getting Rayman Legends and Tekken TT2...

PS: If anyone is considering Epic Mickey 2 on Wii U, be weary, it's not made by Junction Point, consider getting the Wii version instead.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloudenvy

@rebgav said:

That line-up is pretty depressing. The glaring absence of a high-quality first-party game stinks too.

It really is. Not that I was ever interested in getting a Wii U at launch but this doesn't really help.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Vonocourt
    • Nintendo Land pack-in
    • Rayman Legends
    • Darksiders II, assuming it's not like thirty bucks by then.
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By krystians

@Dalai said:

Right now it's only New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land by default. That should last me through the holiday.

Same here. Maybe call of duty...

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vexxan

New Super Mario Bros. U and Rayman Legends are the ones that stick out for me but at the moment I have no plan of buying a Wii U on the launch day.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Muerthoz

I was a little mad that I didn't get a pre-order in for a Deluxe before stores around me started cutting them off. After seeing those lists, I don't feel as bad now. Nothing there that I really want to play a Wii U version of. I think I'll be OK as long as I get one by the time Monster Hunter comes out.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DeF

@rebgav said:

That line-up is pretty depressing. The glaring absence of a high-quality first-party game stinks too. Neither Platinum game is going to be out by the end of the year either.

Wait, now superb 2D mario platforming is not high quality? And I think you're seriously underestimating Nintendo Land. It sucked the life out of E3 but once you actually look at what's in there, it looks pretty fucking fantastic (Zelda Battle Quest, Pikmin Adventure and Metroid Blast especially)! This is not some cheap minigame fest.

On my pre-order list for day 1 are:

• Console (Premium) incl. Nintendo Land
    • ZombiU
    • Rayman Legends
    • Darksiders II
    • Assassin's Creed III
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By asurastrike

@DeF said:

@rebgav said:

That line-up is pretty depressing. The glaring absence of a high-quality first-party game stinks too. Neither Platinum game is going to be out by the end of the year either.

Wait, now superb 2D mario platforming is not high quality? And I think you're seriously underestimating Nintendo Land. It sucked the life out of E3 but once you actually look at what's in there, it looks pretty fucking fantastic (Zelda Battle Quest, Pikmin Adventure and Metroid Blast especially)! This is not some cheap minigame fest.

• ZombiU
    • Rayman Legends
    • Darksiders II
    • Assassin's Creed III

They've released 4 NSMB games in the last 6 years.

New Super Mario Bros. DS - 2006

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 2009

New Super Mario Bros. 3DS - 2012

New Super Mario Bros Wii U - 2012

The charm, as well as the creativity, is wearing kind of thin.

Also, your pre order list is nearing $800 dollars, that seems like kind of a lot.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeF

@Asurastrike said:

@DeF said:

@rebgav said:

• ZombiU
    • Rayman Legends
    • Darksiders II
    • Assassin's Creed III

Also, your pre order list is nearing $800 dollars, that seems like kind of a lot.

That is definitely a lot. That's why I'm barely scraping by with the option of dropping one or two titles if necessary. (btw, here in Euroland, I'm taking advantage of importing + a 10% off voucher I had laying around so it's not as bad ultimately)

About the 4 games in 6 years: two of those were minor portable releases. The newest of which was made by the young folk. The Wii U game is made by the Galaxy team, the veterans and it looks very nice (those backgrounds!). Thus, I don't see how that does not qualify as a "high quality first party game." The DS game was okay, the Wii game was awesome, the 3DS game was pretty good. The multiplayer aspect does a lot for that specific series of Mario games, now adding to that with that boost mode stuff should make for a pretty awesome game if you're into flow-based platformers.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Legend

I'd probably get Rayman Legends, NSMB and ZombiU if I end up buying a Wii U. Rayman Legends is my most anticipated game on the system.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Willy105

Very good launch lineup. Excellent even. 

However, I hope they don't release most games at launch and be empty later like the Vita. 

@Asurastrike said: 

That's only because they released two games back-to-back this year. Compared to everything else, NSMB games are incredibly rare. Heck, look at the span between the first one and the second one, and then the second one to the third and fourth one. Whole series have come and gone between the first game and today. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

That's a great line-up (if you don't have a gaming PC). Personally, I'm not buying a WiiU a minute before Bayonetta 2 comes out.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AsperGamer

I am torn between my heart that says yes, get one and my head that says I am not buying a single one of those launch games at full price. I do believe my heart will lose. Sure, there are some very good games in that list, but not one that fores me up. Have fun all of you going for the launch day, I will join you about March 2013!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

Who the fuck would buy Mass Effect 3 for the WiiU on launch day? Looks like I'll be sticking to Nintendoland bundled in the deluxe addition and maybe Scribblenauts.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoG

I have to agree with those who are disappointed. The biggest titles are all ports. What we really need is a big first party title. I know very little about the Wii U, has anything big from Nintendo been announced?

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By muralbat

I'm really confused by people upset that some of the large titles for launch are ports. Really really confused. Most of the ports coming over are high quality games which is exactly what a system needs, great high quality games at launch. NSMB is a first party nintendo game, Mario games are always fun and this one looks like I has a lot of great content.

They've announced the Zelda, They've announced Smash Bros so its a matter of time before the first party games come out.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dungbootle

Looking pretty good.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeF

@msavo said:

Who the fuck would buy Mass Effect 3 for the WiiU on launch day? Looks like I'll be sticking to Nintendoland bundled in the deluxe addition and maybe Scribblenauts.

I would if I hadn't played it already. I'll still buy it again later on because I honestly believe it's a superior version due to the additional screen which allows easier access to more skills (and has free multiplayer!).

@rebgav said:

@DeF said:

I don't really like the "New SMB" line but if I did I still don't think I'd argue for it being a top-tier Nintendo title. I haven't touched NSMB Wii after finishing World 1, I don't fully understand the point of 2D Mario games which constantly try to evoke nostalgia for games which were much more innovative and fun to play in their day. With Rayman Legends on the list too, NSMB might not even be the best 2D platformer available on launch day.

Nintendo Land may not be a typical minigame collection but it's still kind of a minigame collection, the shortest route from tech-demo to retail product. Not really my kind of game, again, but if I were in the market for one I'd probably go for Rabbids Land because my kids would want to play that.

With third-parties bringing the ports, sports and minigames it's up to Nintendo to make their new system shine with that one big, substantial release which makes a "launch window" purchase worthwhile but I don't see that game on the list. After XCOM and Dishonored come out at the beginning of October there is pretty much nothing else of interest to me being released until March, so I have this enormous empty window of time which lines up with the launch of this console and I'm probably going to have to spend that time doing something productive because the platform holder which is all about games has no games for me to play. I can see that my experience with this console is going to be buying it used in a year or so to play Bayonetta and a handful of other titles and then still feeling bad about the purchase afterwards when the console is relegated to collecting dust in a cupboard for months or years between interesting exclusive titles.

Well you know that those games don't really get going until you're at least a world or two into it right? The cool stuff always happens in later stages (which of course is not so hot). So judging the series based on finishing World 1 really isn't fair.

Nintendo Land is not even a "mini"-game collection. More a straight up game compilation. Metroid Blast with 3 game modes (horde mode, air vs ground deathmatch, ground vs ground deathmatch) and (going by reports) somewhere in the range of 16 maps, Pikmin Adventure which is basically an evolution of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure with its action-RPG gameplay, leveling and also multiple modes and many stages, Zelda Battle Quest with the very cool Skyward Sword battle system and supposedly just as much content as the former modes this already would be a pretty sweet package with relatively deep gameplay. Then you get 3 multiplayer games and six skill based singleplayer games (3 of which are still not even really revealed). I don't think comparing that to a Rabbids game is fair. NL collects modes that are sometimes sold as full-on standalone games into a single package. That's why I keep saying people shouldn't underestimate this thing. It made a horrible first impression with the snore fest that was the stage "demo" but that shouldn't color the opinions on what this game actually delivers, which seemingly is quite a lot (plus there is the metagame based on coins earned in the individual attractions). Game & Wario, now that is a minigame collection from what they've shown.

Oh and you didn't even mention Pikmin 3, you're not into that as well, I presume?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By FreakAche

I was hoping for Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 at launch, but Rayman, Mario, and Scribblenauts are cool too I guess.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By jaycrockett

Seems like a good lineup of games, especially in comparison to the current gen's launch games. Nothing compelling me to buy yet, though. Bring on the Giantbomb WiiU games coverage!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

@msavo said:

Who the fuck would buy Mass Effect 3 for the WiiU on launch day?

People who realize the decisions made in the first two games don't actually matter.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@msavo said:

Me, I haven't played it yet but have played the other two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.