Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U Inspired By Original Concept for Wii Remote

• 80 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    An image from a Nintendo patent that would add a touchpad display to the Wii remote design.
    An image from a Nintendo patent that would add a touchpad display to the Wii remote design.

There’s clearly more to Wii U than what Nintendo has shown so far, as evidenced by last week’s surprise announcement of the tablet-esque controller featuring near-field communication technology.

Nintendo has also been seriously thinking about the idea of a controller with a screen attached for some time, based on comments by the company in its recent Q&A session with investors.

Genyo Takeda, Nintendo’s senior managing director and general manager of the integrated research and development division (!), responded to a question about differentiating Wii U from other hardware manufacturers, and dropped this tidbit.

“So, how to differentiate the Wii U in terms of brand-new uniqueness with other video game systems is important,” he said, “and regarding this point, all I can say today is, we now have the new controller which revolves around the original concept of the Wii Remote, and the developers can take advantage of multiple screens, which enable them to leverage upon the unique combination of a big TV screen and a smaller screen in player’s hands.”

Even though Wii U is coming many years afterWii, if Takeda isn’t just messing with us, what we’re seeing with Wii U is simply fulfilling part of an idea Nintendo has been kicking around for a while.

The Wii remote and nunchuck will both be compatible with Wii U. A Nintendo patent was discovered last year detailing a version of the Wii remote with a touchpad display, essentially bringing the whole thing full circle.

You should read the whole Q&A, which also includes extensive comments from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and designer Shigeru Miyamoto. There are no startling revelations--that will come at E3--but it’s all interesting.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

There’s clearly more to Wii U than what Nintendo has shown so far, as evidenced by last week’s surprise announcement of the tablet-esque controller featuring near-field communication technology.

Nintendo has also been seriously thinking about the idea of a controller with a screen attached for some time, based on comments by the company in its recent Q&A session with investors.

Genyo Takeda, Nintendo’s senior managing director and general manager of the integrated research and development division (!), responded to a question about differentiating Wii U from other hardware manufacturers, and dropped this tidbit.

“So, how to differentiate the Wii U in terms of brand-new uniqueness with other video game systems is important,” he said, “and regarding this point, all I can say today is, we now have the new controller which revolves around the original concept of the Wii Remote, and the developers can take advantage of multiple screens, which enable them to leverage upon the unique combination of a big TV screen and a smaller screen in player’s hands.”

Even though Wii U is coming many years afterWii, if Takeda isn’t just messing with us, what we’re seeing with Wii U is simply fulfilling part of an idea Nintendo has been kicking around for a while.

The Wii remote and nunchuck will both be compatible with Wii U. A Nintendo patent was discovered last year detailing a version of the Wii remote with a touchpad display, essentially bringing the whole thing full circle.

You should read the whole Q&A, which also includes extensive comments from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and designer Shigeru Miyamoto. There are no startling revelations--that will come at E3--but it’s all interesting.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm too embarrased to try this.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Mijati

Interesting

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

Anybody excited by this?

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PatVB

Cool! I still don't know what to make of the WiiU, but I'm interested to hear more.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tan

Always interesting to hear anything about the WiiU. Next gen is gonna be weeeeird.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Creme

The drawing of the idea looks weirdly cool, like a Star Trek apparatus.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By prestonhedges

"an question"

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Interesting, and also not altogether unusual. A lot of such ideas are born from previously scrapped incarnations.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Dreamcast did it first though. NEVER FORGET THE VMU!

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Julmust

E3 will be very interesting to say the least.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well that's interesting.

Nintendo, keep on keepin' on man.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

@MooseyMcMan said:

Nevar forget.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jacksukeru

If I recall correctly, didn't they also once say that their idea of having motion controls dated back to the NES?

The WiiU is definetly interesting, more interesting than any regular motion controls as far as I'm concerned, and it's what I'm currently most looking forward to hearing about at this years E3. Then again, that was also true of last year's E3 and that didn't turn out...great.

sgt_smack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sgt_smack

wtf

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@RockmanBionics said:

If I recall correctly, didn't they also once say that their idea of having motion controls dated back to the NES?

The WiiU is definetly interesting, more interesting than any regular motion controls as far as I'm concerned, and it's what I'm currently most looking forward to hearing about at this years E3. Then again, that was also true of last year's E3 and that didn't turn out...great.

I'm not sure about motion controls, but Miyamoto has stated in the past that the idea behind the Mii extends that far back. As far as this year's E3 is concerned, I imagine that Nintendo will have a better showing now that the 3DS is exiting the post-launch game drought and the Wii U will have more substance behind it than a few controller tech demos.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By fazzle

I want Gungirl for WiiU, with.....touch options on the tablet. Also just imagine all the extra "toys" you can put on the tablet with NFC chips in them

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Shaanyboi

I'm excited to get my hands on a Wii U. I just hope the games will be there...

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mbr2

@MooseyMcMan said:

Sonic Adventure was an inside job! THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inspired by the Dreamcast, you mean.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ddensel

Nintendo's been tinkering with separate screens since the connectivity days between Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance (Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) You could even say the DS was the natural progression of Nintendo's interest in two screen gaming. Knowing this history, I wasn't too surprised by the look of the Wii U myself.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By TehFlan

Have they actually announced any games for this thing yet?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Tarsier

ugh its so stupid it seems like an onion story. get the heck away nitendo

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jacksukeru

@Hailinel: I'm clenching my fists that they will.

kamikaze_tutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kamikaze_tutor
    No Caption Provided
    Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chibithor

@TehFlan: Retro Studios is working on "a project everyone wants us to do" (Metroid!) for the console, if that counts. Darksiders 2 is also coming among some other multiplatform games. Also Smash Bros.

FancyKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FancyKnight

Thats what the controller is gonna look like!? It looks hilarious! XD

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@Chibithor said:

@TehFlan: Retro Studios is working on "a project everyone wants us to do" (Metroid!) for the console, if that counts. Darksiders 2 is also coming among some other multiplatform games. Also Smash Bros.

That Retro Studios is working on a title that's high in demand doesn't mean that it's another Metroid Prime title. No one expected them to be the developer of a Donkey Kong Country game, so their new project could literally be just about anything.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Blubba

If this thing doesn't support 4 controllers though, it's pretty dumb. From my experience, I think the Wiimote is a hot pile of crap and I'm not buying 4 Motion Plus dongles. I don't want multiplayer experiences based on the concept of one person having the awesome controller while the other people are playing with the dumb controllers.

Avatar image for princessmattakistar
    PrincessMattakiStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, I think the WiiU is gonna fail. Yea, Nintendo is seemingly good at capturing the casual gamer market, but I think that it is too soon. People are still getting over the wii fad, and I don't think they are ready to drop a load of money on yet another system. As for the hardcore gamers... Well, Nintendo just doesn't seem to care about you and me. Seriously, Nintendo is on a downward spiral. This is just my opinion.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By billyhoush

I will never underestimate Nintendo.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Dreamfall31

sheesh...Nintendo, what have you become?!?!?! Sad to see one of the biggest gaming companies from who shaped my childhood really going off the deep end. Atleast they got it right with the DS!!!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Chibithor said:

Another Metroid from Retro Studios does not scream "a project that everyone wants us to do"...
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zityz

@PrincessMattakiStar said:

Sadly, I think the WiiU is gonna fail. Yea, Nintendo is seemingly good at capturing the casual gamer market, but I think that it is too soon. People are still getting over the wii fad, and I don't think they are ready to drop a load of money on yet another system. As for the hardcore gamers... Well, Nintendo just doesn't seem to care about you and me. Seriously, Nintendo is on a downward spiral. This is just my opinion.

Funny thing is. People have been saying this since the N64. It makes me chuckle every time.

Mb246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mb246

@zityz said:

Funny thing is. People have been saying this since the N64. It makes me chuckle every time.

but for real this time.

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eugenesaxe

They've been doing it for years, it's called "hand-held game machines". Another example of "fresh" thinking that isn't.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By KaneRobot

@zityz said:

Not sure why you're laughing, since Nintendo has only had one industry leading home console since the N64. I guess it depends on your definition of fail.

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lemonhead

@KaneRobot said:

Not sure why you're laughing, since Nintendo has only had one industry leading home console since the N64. I guess it depends on your definition of fail.

They're leading this generation, but did not lead the last one. Winning 1 out of 2 in a 3 player game is..failing?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MudMan

@KaneRobot said:

@zityz said:

The N64 was not even close to being a leading console on its generation. The Playstation 1 has that honour. The Wii is the first Nintendo home console to lead its gen since the SNES.

EDIT: For the record, you're still totally right about the other thing. Remember how the Gamecube was their last console for sure because who the hell had the idea to make one button larger than the others? Clearly appealing to the casuals would never work on a home console at all.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MudMan

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Chibithor said:

Another Metroid from Retro Studios does not scream "a project that everyone wants us to do"...

Really? Because I can scream it into your ear if you need to hear it.

I WOULD TOTALLY LIKE TO HAVE AN HD METROID PRIME!

There.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Will nintendo ever get fucking real? This shit is getting annoying

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By I_smell

But where is the nintendo horse-bag?

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sinful

*cough*...VMU...*cough*

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By helios1337

It will be interesting to see how this sells. The casual market that they sold the majority of the Wii too won't be ready to buy a new "thing we play bowling on" and the "hardcore" market (us?) will likely take a wait and see approach.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I hope this thing fails hard as a motherfucker.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Contrarian

Well, I suppose if people don't like what Nintendo is offering, they could ..... well, you know, not buy it?

jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jackelbeaver

sega does what nintendont

beast780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By beast780

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the Wii U, if it's priced like I think it will be.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By retrovirus

@NoelVeiga said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Chibithor said:

There.

I TOO WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE AN HD METROID PRIME ANNOUNCED!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vaiz

@RetroVirus said:

@NoelVeiga said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Chibithor said:

There.

I TOO WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE AN HD METROID PRIME ANNOUNCED!

I AM TOTALLY BACKING THESE DUDES UP. ALWAYS BE PRIME.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.