Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

New Marines FPS for the Wii.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Seems that developers haven't given up just yet on making FPS games for the Wii.  I enjoy using the Wiimote as a shooter (the hand cannon and Zapper), but I am not usually a war game player, but hell, I will keep an open mind.  Clearly from a budget point of view, they admit that this isn't a big budget title, but that doesn't always mean it will be bad.

So what are your impressions from this?:

Wii combat game features Marines - MarineCorpsTimes.com

Wii combat game features Marines

By Amy McCullough - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Oct 21, 2009 20:49:32 EDT

Just a few months after plans were put on hold for the release of a controversial video game depicting Marines’ deadly 2004 fight for the Iraqi city of Fallujah, the developer’s sister company is preparing to release another game about the Corps.

And although the new game’s story line resembles current events, it is 100 percent fictional.

“Marines: Modern Urban Combat,” on sale Nov. 10, is a first-person military shooter for Nintendo’s Wii system. It was developed by Minnesota-based Destineer and is far removed from the realism that would be portrayed in “Six Days in Fallujah,” should that project ever move forward.

In “Modern Urban Combat,” players lead a four-man Marine rifle team as they attempt to stop a civil war in modern-day Beirut that is influenced by factions from the Syrian and Iranian governments. They can use the Wii remote or the Wii zapper, which can better simulate an M16, as they battle insurgents wielding AK47 assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. The team leader is in charge of a gunner, assistant gunner and rifleman who have access to the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and grenades.

Peter Tamte, president of Destineer and sister company Atomic Games, creator of “Six Days in Fallujah,” said “Modern Urban Combat” is based off a Marine Corps training system initially created by Destineer in 2005 as a PC-based, three-dimensional training tool for infantry fire teams. It was marketed commercially for Xbox, PC and Macintosh that same year as “Close Combat: First to Fight.”

The Corps did not consult with developers of the Wii version, but Marine officials were involved with the creation of the “Close Combat” series, which has the same storyline, in 2003, Tamte said.

In fact, the Corps gave Destineer access to about 40 combat-experienced Marines, many of them assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, at Camp Pendleton, Calif., although some Marine consultants also were located at Camp Lejeune, N.C.; Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.; and Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif.

“One of our objectives with ‘First to Fight’ that also carried forward to this project is to celebrate the values of the Marine Corps — honor, courage and commitment,” Tamte said. “We view this more as an opportunity for the average consumer to understand more about Marines than they might get just by reading the newspaper.”

Although Tamte has never served in the Corps, there are several former Marines on the development team.

“I wish I could give people access to the one-on-one conversations with Marines as I’ve been able to have,” he said. “I think it changes and shapes people’s understanding of Marines and their values.”

Although “Modern Urban Combat” and “Six Days in Fallujah” are both first-person shooters, there are few other parallels.

“Modern Urban Combat” is fictional. It is a small-budget game that does not focus on fancy graphics. And it is one of only a few combat-oriented games for the interactive Wii system.

“Six Days in Fallujah,” on the other hand, is a big budget game, based on the real experiences of 3/1 Marines in Fallujah.

Tamte said the company can not disclose the budget for either game, but he said the difference is significant.

“Modern Urban Combat” is designed to be “family-friendly,” Tamte said. “Six Days in Fallujah” is “far more visceral, emotional and authentic,” he added.

“We as a society tend to glorify heroes from 50 years ago, as we should, but there are individuals whose sacrifice and courage and commitment is just as strong who are walking around with us right now,” Tamte said.

The Marines who consulted on the “First to Fight” series later deployed to Fallujah. Upon their return, they decided to tell their story in a medium that their generation was comfortable with.

Although many service members have expressed support for “Six Days in Fallujah,” opponents, including several family members of Marines killed in the battle, were vocal enough to convince Atomic’s partner, Konami Digital Entertainment, to drop production plans.

Tamte said the company remains committed to creating that game and continues to seek new partners.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

All I can say is a big fat "Hell NO" to this game.  Destineer is in the business of producing cheap shit that you could barely call playable and I am not going to be suckered into supporting any of their so-called efforts.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Anyone who plays this should be banned from the Marines.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Doesn't sound particularly interesting in any way whatsoever.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Hailinel said:
    " All I can say is a big fat "Hell NO" to this game.  Destineer is in the business of producing cheap shit that you could barely call playable and I am not going to be suckered into supporting any of their so-called efforts. "
    True.  If Destineer made a real game, it would be surprising.  They have a poor track record to say the least.  If it doesn't sell, it won't be because "mature games don't sell on the Wii", it will be because it sucks.  Still like to keep an open mind though.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Axersia said:
    " I wouldn't call this game "new" since it's actually just a port of Close Combat: First to Fight for the PC and Xbox. "
    True in a way, but it is new to the Wii and it is a new game based on that game (as I read it).
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

My son is in the Marines, he is stationed in Japan.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Axersia
    @oldschool said:
    " @Axersia said:
    " I wouldn't call this game "new" since it's actually just a port of Close Combat: First to Fight for the PC and Xbox. "
    True in a way, but it is new to the Wii and it is a new game based on that game (as I read it). "
    According to Gamasutra it's a straight-up port, so now I'm not sure which of the two is accurate... Obviously there was some misunderstanding some where -- the question is by whom.

Either way, can't say I'm even remotely interested in the game.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Br3adfan said:
    " My son is in the Marines, he is stationed in Japan. "
    Why is Cheese at your house Brad, and why are you letting him use your computer? 

@Axersia said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Axersia said:
    True in a way, but it is new to the Wii and it is a new game based on that game (as I read it). "
    According to Gamasutra it's a straight-up port, so now I'm not sure which of the two is accurate... Obviously there was some misunderstanding some where -- the question is by whom. Either way, can't say I'm even remotely interested in the game. "
    I am moving much closer to that last line as I learn more.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By breadfan
    @oldschool said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    Why is Cheese at your house Brad, and why are you letting him use your computer? 
    It's Bread!  But I guess it comes with the perils of spelling words with letters.   Cheese and I occasionally play checkers together, I guess he logged on while I went to buy some fish fillets.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    It's Bread!  But I guess it comes with the perils of spelling words with letters.   Cheese and I occasionally play checkers together, I guess he logged on while I went to buy some fish fillets. "
    I don't see numbers in names, I am dyslexic that way  ^-^ 

Does he say 73ssssssss and out (or whatever it is) when he takes a piece?  How were the fillets?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By breadfan
    @oldschool The fillets were alright, the checker pieces ended up smelling like fish and energy drinks.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Claude said:
    " Close Combat: First to Fight -I looked up some reviews on Metacritic. Don't start with the Metacritic crap... just saying it's a good source of reviews. The game had mixed reviews, but seemed to be good in concept.

Destineer... I've seen the name on many games published, but, the developed is the only one mentioned above.   I'm curious... just for the holidays. "
    Wow, big range from 28 to 85.  It should look better and lay better than the Xbox version, so now you are moving me back a little Claude  ^-^
    indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By indigo_man

sounds fuckin dumb. get a graphics card better than DX5 wii and then maybe we will talk.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
    @oldschool said:
    " @Claude said:
    " Close Combat: First to Fight -I looked up some reviews on Metacritic. Don't start with the Metacritic crap... just saying it's a good source of reviews. The game had mixed reviews, but seemed to be good in concept.

Destineer... I've seen the name on many games published, but, the developed is the only one mentioned above.   I'm curious... just for the holidays. "
    Wow, big range from 28 to 85.  It should look better and lay better than the Xbox version, so now you are moving me back a little Claude  ^-^ "
    The first three and the last three get thrown out in my reads on Metacritic, unless, there's very few reviews.

I found the concept interesting. Some compared it to Rainbow 6.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @indigo_man said:
    " sounds fuckin dumb. get a graphics card better than DX5 wii and then maybe we will talk. "
    Not with potty mouth mister  ^-^ 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Claude
    @indigo_man said:
    " sounds fuckin dumb. get a graphics card better than DX5 wii and then maybe we will talk. "

Here Troll... Eat.
     Here Troll... Eat.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Emilio
    “Modern Urban Combat” is designed to be “family-friendly,” 
    Uh, no. Please cancel this game and go back to the drawing board.
    indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By indigo_man
    @oldschool said:
    " @indigo_man said:
    Not with potty mouth mister  ^-^  "

you should see mario actually does to score 1ups.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel

I'll say it again.  Anyone that buys this game is a sucker.  The only thing you can trust about Destineer titles is that they are shit.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Emilio said:
    " “Modern Urban Combat” is designed to be “family-friendly,” 
    "
    Killing people is family friendly now?  In America!
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind
    @oldschool said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " “Modern Urban Combat” is designed to be “family-friendly,” 
    "
    Killing people is family friendly now?  In America! "
    We like to keep our Guns legal.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    @Hailinel said:
    " All I can say is a big fat "Hell NO" to this game.  Destineer is in the business of producing cheap shit that you could barely call playable and I am not going to be suckered into supporting any of their so-called efforts. "
    @Hailinel said:
    " I'll say it again.  Anyone that buys this game is a sucker.  The only thing you can trust about Destineer titles is that they are shit. "
    So, what you are saying is this game will be bad? 
    ^_^
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @oldschool said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    @Hailinel said:
    " I'll say it again.  Anyone that buys this game is a sucker.  The only thing you can trust about Destineer titles is that they are shit. "
    So, what you are saying is this game will be bad? ^_^ "
    Very.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.