Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Some kind of Borderlands game on the Wii?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I can't say that I know anything more about Borderlands other than a video review of I saw on Good Game.  Now there is some talk of using the characters and Borderland world in a Wii game. 

What do you think of this franchise extension?

That VideoGame Blog » No Borderlands on Wii “just because,” a Claptrap side-scroller?

No Borderlands on Wii “just because,” a Claptrap side-scroller?
    BY RAIN ANDERSON OCT. 22ND, 2009More on:BorderlandsBrian Martel

Gearbox vice president Brian Martel has said that should the company ever decide to deliver their open-world level up fest Borderlands to Wii users, it wouldn’t be just for the sake of having their game on the system.

“… it’s hard to take this game and really kind of dumb it down if you will,” Martel said when asked if Gearbox is entertaining the idea of bringing the game to the Wii, or even the handhelds or the iPhone. “… we’ll see, [there's] definitely an interest there. We made Samba de Amigo for the Wii, so we love working on the Wii. We took one of the Brothers In Arms games and put it on [the Wii]. So we love the Wii [but] it’s not always the best thing. Nintendo sells the most copies, so, yeah.”

“You don’t want to feel like you’re milking the product just to get it on the Wii, especially if it doesn’t really help the game,” Martel went on to explain. “There are probably some areas of [Borderlands] that could really [work with the Wii controller] and be really excellent for it. We’d have to really consider it, I don’t think it’d be the same game at all. We’re not gonna do it just because.”

So while a Wii port might not be in the cards, Martel did open the door open for another way to get the world and characters of Borderlands out there, “We’ve got this very great character called Claptrap [if you've missed this fellow, do get acquainted with him here and here] … he’s a great character, we’d love to see him as a sort of a side-scroller character.”

Sounds like a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/DS/PSP/iPhone game to us. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Like every single Wii game ever made, in order to be successful, people need to know the game exists, it has to be advertised.

And I don't like them "dumbing down" Borderlands. If you are going to put it on Wii, MAKE IT A BETTER GAME. You can actually do that with FPS on Wii, you know.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " Like every single Wii game ever made, in order to be successful, people need to know the game exists, it has to be advertised.  And I don't like them "dumbing down" Borderlands. If you are going to put it on Wii, MAKE IT A BETTER GAME. You can actually do that with FPS on Wii, you know. "
    True and true.  I think we will see well a game like this can be when we get Red Steel 2.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well the style would be easy enough to bring over competently, with Gearbox behind it. 

Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Grim_Fandango

Remember Dead Space Extraction? That didn't sell too well on the wii because there aren't many hardcore gamers on the wii, wouldn't be a smart move as they would probably just loose money. Families with young children buy wii, real gamers buy either PS3, 360, or an awesome PC.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Grim_Fandango said:
    " Remember Dead Space Extraction? That didn't sell too well on the wii because there aren't many hardcore gamers on the wii, wouldn't be a smart move as they would probably just loose money. Families with young children buy wii, real gamers buy either PS3, 360, or an awesome PC. "
    Remember the million sellers of Resident Evil and House of Dead, amongst others?  Are you suggesting that 50 million plus Wii owners are almost entirely not real gamers?  What are real gamers?  Why are you even here?
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grim_Fandango
    @oldschool: "Aren't many." Didn't exactly say all did I?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Grim_Fandango said:
    " @oldschool: "Aren't many." Didn't exactly say all did I? "
    Define "not many" from the 50 plus million user base and support with facts or just accept your generalisation fails.
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grim_Fandango
    @oldschool: Your a bit of a stickler aren't you?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude
    @oldschool said:
    " @Grim_Fandango said:
    " @oldschool: "Aren't many." Didn't exactly say all did I? "
    Define "not many" from the 50 plus million user base and support with facts or just accept your generalisation fails. "
    What I like is the fact that his name is Grim_Fandango. Yeah, an 11 year old game that did not sell well. That was a waste of money, should not have been made.
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grim_Fandango
    @Claude: So I implied that Dead Space Extraction didn't sell well on the wii and that it shouldn't have been made?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willy105
    @Grim_Fandango said:
    " Remember Dead Space Extraction? That didn't sell too well on the wii because there aren't many hardcore gamers on the wii, wouldn't be a smart move as they would probably just loose money. Families with young children buy wii, real gamers buy either PS3, 360, or an awesome PC. "
    That's not true. 

Other games like this sold very well on the Wii. Dead Space Extraction failed because it wasn't properly advertised. I haven't seen a single advertisement for the game on the internet, print media or on the TV.

And it's not just families with young children that buys Wii, tons of people from nearly every market in fully developed countries are buying the Wii. I don't understand by "real" gamers, especially when being a gamer is a negative thing to be called.
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grim_Fandango
    @Willy105: Guess it depends on your point of view. Being called a gamer can be a good, or a bad thing, guess it depends heavily on the people you are around.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By VWGTI

No thank you.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet

After seeing how fucking atrocious The Conduit and Dead Rising for the Wii were, I don't know why they should even bother.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @Ghostiet said:
    "

After seeing how fucking atrocious The Conduit and Dead Rising for the Wii were, I don't know why they should even bother.

"
    What do those two games have to do with other developers?
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@mhkjtha said:
    "Wii sucks for videogames. "
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Make it look like that, and play as good as Metroid Prime 3, and people will buy it. You can't? Then no, don't try, keep your dumbed down shit.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @mhkjtha said:

I don't think that the system really sucks for videogames at all. It's more that there is a severe overflow of absolutly terrible games on it, and barely any good titles to play. It's really a sad dissapointment, the thing has so much potential, but it's bogged down by it's gimmick and the way people and developers perceive said gimmick.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By C0V3RT

I'd really hate to see Borderlands get "dummed down" just for the sake of going on the Wii.  I really respect what was done with Dead Space.  Rather then making an inferior version to run on the Wii, Extraction was made that takes advantage of what the Wii does well. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, why does every thread remotely related to the Wii get trolls saying it has no games? Go make your own threads people, stop bogging down the forums with your shit, at least make it optional for the user so he knows what he's getting into. There's no way the topic title and subject should have spurred this type of discussion. There are places this discussion happens legitimately. Of course some of you already tried to discuss there and failed to present an argument, and some others know they have no point other than to troll and therefor keep away, but yeah, come on, leave some corner of this community untainted please. Seriously, what's wrong? Don't you have games to play for your entertainment? Yeah, I'm totally the bad guy now, for calling people trolls, because otherwise this was such a nice thread to experience! ...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Willy105

It's unbelievable how people think here.

@C0V3RT said:

" I'd really hate to see Borderlands get "dummed down" just for the sake of going on the Wii.  I really respect what was done with Dead Space.  Rather then making an inferior version to run on the Wii, Extraction was made that takes advantage of what the Wii does well.  "
    Dead Space Extraction would have been better as full blown Dead Space game instead of a rails shooter, since the Wii can do shooting games better than than the other console in terms of what you can do with the gameplay. But it was made a rails shooter to appease the Wii audience, since other eail shooters have been great successes.

Borderlands can be made better on Wii, if they try and make the full game in it instead of dumbing it down thinking the audience won't understand all the numbers.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

I guess they could trick people into thinking it's a WALL-E game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Ghostiet said:
    "

"
    What do those two games have to do with other developers? "

Nothing. I just don't think that this is a genre or a style of game that is suitable for the Wii, and I don't think Wii owners are happy when they need to tell themselves that something's pretty nice, but FOR THEIR CONSOLE. I don't have a thing against the Wii, I like the console, and I don't think a Borderlands per se would click. And I'm not convinced about a spin-off in terms of gameplay.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By KamasamaK
    @oldschool said:
    " I can't say that I know anything more about Borderlands other than a video review of I saw on Good Game. "
    Maybe you could check out the video review on a site called Giant Bomb. They do some pretty good stuff.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fynne

The Wii's biggest problem is that it doesn't have as much computing power as the other 2 consoles.  So I doubt they could bring the entire Borderlands experience over. 

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Famov
    @mhkjtha said:

Hey did you hear, the PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have dedicated servers. Cry please.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ieatlions

i want a borderlands mini game collection

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Black_Rose
    @mhkjtha said:
    " Wii sucks for videogames. "
    You suck for trolling
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By carlthenimrod

Would be a bummer with no online component. Where am I suppose to show off my hawt loots?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @carlthenimrod said:

" Would be a bummer with no online component. Where am I suppose to show off my hawt loots? "

On your other system(s) as you would even if there was a Wii version with an online component as it has no reason to not be there. Duh?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @fynne said:
    " The Wii's biggest problem is that it doesn't have as much computing power as the other 2 consoles.  So I doubt they could bring the entire Borderlands experience over.  "
    That is only a problem where they just shoehorn a simple port of a 360/PS3 game over.  Power has little to do with a game being good or bad, the effort the developers make has far more to do with it.  Just look at the Red Steel 2 videos and see for yourself what can be done wit actual effort (although the jury is still out as to the game itself).  Simple ports have always been a bad thing in most cases if the hardware is different.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By demontium

A good wiiware game? 

Basically gearbox is making fun of wii.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

Have you seen the reviews for Gearbox's game of Brothers in Arms: Double Time for the Wii? Oh my. ...not well received. The remake of Samba de Amigo reviews were mixed. I'm not impressed, but the user reviews liked Double Time on Metacritic, pretty much. Hey, good luck with that Gearbox, I'll be here if you tag me. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @carlthenimrod said:

" Would be a bummer with no online component. Where am I suppose to show off my hawt loots? "

On your other system(s) as you would even if there was a Wii version with an online component as it has no reason to not be there. Duh? "
    If they make a side-scroller starring Claptrap, then it might just be a straight up single-player game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @carlthenimrod said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" @carlthenimrod said:

On your other system(s) as you would even if there was a Wii version with an online component as it has no reason to not be there. Duh? "
    If they make a side-scroller starring Claptrap, then it might just be a straight up single-player game. "
    Yeah. And? Given your posting history, even if there was a Wii version that was an FPS with an online component, you'd still play it on another system, so I don't see why you posted in here to ask how you would show off hypothetical loot in a hypothetical game that couldn't possibly have hypothetical online just because it's hypothetically on the Wii. I saw through that post even if you try to change it into being a simple reaction to the hypothetical game type now, rather than the actual thread title as it was :-)
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldschool
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " @carlthenimrod said:

If they make a side-scroller starring Claptrap, then it might just be a straight up single-player game. "
    Probably.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah. And? Given your posting history, even if there was a Wii version that was an FPS with an online component, you'd still play it on another system, so I don't see why you posted in here to ask how you would show off hypothetical loot in a hypothetical game that couldn't possibly have hypothetical online just because it's hypothetically on the Wii. I saw through that post even if you try to change it into being a simple reaction to the hypothetical game type now, rather than the actual thread title as it was :-) "
    Believe it or not, I'm not trying to shit on the Wii and I'm sorry if you think I am. I'm shitting more so on Gearbox and other developers for taking these properties and trying to force them onto the Wii by completely changing the core game. The concept of turning Borderlands into a side-scroller sounds boring and overly safe to me. But of course, I could be horribly wrong and this might turn out to be a great game, which would be awesome.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldschool
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah. And? Given your posting history, even if there was a Wii version that was an FPS with an online component, you'd still play it on another system, so I don't see why you posted in here to ask how you would show off hypothetical loot in a hypothetical game that couldn't possibly have hypothetical online just because it's hypothetically on the Wii. I saw through that post even if you try to change it into being a simple reaction to the hypothetical game type now, rather than the actual thread title as it was :-) "
    Believe it or not, I'm not trying to shit on the Wii and I'm sorry if you think I am. I'm shitting more so on Gearbox and other developers for taking these properties and trying to force them onto the Wii by completely changing the core game. The concept of turning Borderlands into a side-scroller sounds boring and overly safe to me. But of course, I could be horribly wrong and this might turn out to be a great game, which would be awesome. "
    I believe you  ^-^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.