Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Tenchu IV New Trailer (Gameplay Heavy)

• 50 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

New edit (09/10/2008):

TGS gameplay videos from IGN.

It's looking pretty damn good in my opinion, considering the Tenchu legacy. Nice smooth gameplay, new (?) multiple stealth kills, some decent graphical effects like the water reflections and distortions, etc.

Original post:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6nsfq_tenchu-iv-promo-trailer_videogames
    Well, it looks like we're finally getting some changes to the formula which is always welcome since the series was getting too samey after the three original Playstation titles. Let's hope they keep this up and future titles introduce more improvements and changes, and hopefully a new game engine and assets at some point.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By Soap

god damn when did Tenchu become the new Dynasty Warriors?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't see what looks like Dynasty Warriors there...

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Soap
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I don't see what looks like Dynasty Warriors there..."
    Same game repeated ever year with little to no graphical improvement or change in formula at all?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

You're not original (or so smart I guess), you merely appear to have readthat 1Up blog which implies all the Tecmo series will become yearly releases with minor updates like the Dynasty Warriors series.

But, you should know, that blog is purely hypothetical (and hypocritical in my opinion) as it speaks of FUTURE titles, IF the Koei merger happens, not nearly completed games like Tenchu IV.

More importantly, the gameplay here seems to have the most radical changes implemented ever since the first game. Tenchu was getting pretty shite (see the 360 game) before Acquire was picked up to make this one (they created the first couple of games, and the series). Let's just hope they still have what it takes to make good, if flawed, games. So, yeah, it's pretty baffling to see someone complain about how similar this game is when it's the most different of all the past titles.

I'll merely agree in that I was hoping for a new engine and assets, but From Software have seemingly been using the same resources since the first Playstation game, if with slight updates, always with even the same old flaws, so that's nothing to be surprised about with the Wii version.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Soap

Lol ok well, I don't even visit 1UP, if someone shares my view then it obviously is a lot more of a popular opinion than I thought.

I'm just saying it looks pretty much the same as the first game with some minor tweaks, and yes I mean the first game because those graphics look like they belong in a muesum by now. I'm not bashing the Tenchu series, I love it and think it has some great potential, it just needs to be handed over to some people who know how to make games.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Lemegeton

Tenchu has not been good for years and while i was a fan of the first 2 im not expecting much from this one

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

It has been handed over to the original creators, and again, this is the most different game of all the past ones as is evident by the trailer, so it's nothing to be surprised (or accuse it) about as if using the same assets is something new that happens just for the Wii version.

And yeah, I thought you'd say that about 1UP, too bad it's so obvious... But again, it's a hypothetical blog, it doesn't agree with you (again, it speaks for future games, IF the Koei merger happens) so it doesn't reinforce your trolling, you merely obviously took elements of the blog to bash another Wii game with.

That kind of bashing is unfounded when you call it out for being similar to past games, when it's all the past games which have really been TOO similar to each other (and often each sequel was worse) while Tenchu IV seems to actually do heavy changes to the formula. Not graphically perhaps, but at least where it matters more, in the gameplay. If anything, this direction for the series, with actual changes to the formula, should only be welcomed, not bashed. The last few games should have been bashed for it, not this one, where they actually try to do some new things. Unless you want to show the developers changes are bad and they should stop them for the future titles and make another Tenchu Z...

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Soap
    Al3xand3r said:
    "And yeah, I thought you'd say that about 1Up... But again, it's a hypothetical blog, it doesn't agree with you (again, it speaks for future games, IF the Koei merger happens) so it doesn't reinforce your trolling, you merely obviously took elements of the blog to bash another Wii game with."
    You make me laugh, like I said before, I don't go on 1Up, so I wouldn't have ever even read that blog, let alone used parts of it to 'troll' you. I'm sorry that stating my opinion on a dying franchise is considered by you to be trolling, you appear to be grossly misinformed on the internet lol.

Anyway, I'm done... maybe I'll go 'Troll' somewhere else.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Opinions should at the very least be educated guesses, not senseless plagiarised rants. Calling the most radically different game in the whole series "too similar" instead of  welcoming the changes and hoping they will continue to more aspects (like the engine and assets) is silly. It's the first game to do changes, and you condemn it as if it's another Tenchu Z. THAT'S misinformed, but it's easy to do that mistake if you only base your opinion on others'  blogs instead of actual first hand experience, as much as you want to claim you never read that, ha...

And yes, I'm sure you will do that.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Soap
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Opinions should at the very least be educated guesses, not senseless plagiarised rants. Calling the most radically different game in the whole series "too similar" instead of  welcoming the changes and hoping they will continue to more aspects (like the engine and assets) is silly. It's the first game to do changes, and you condemn it as if it's another Tenchu Z. THAT'S misinformed, but it's easy to do that mistake if you only base your opinion on others'  blogs instead of actual first hand experience, as much as you want to claim you never read that, ha...

And yes, I'm sure you will do that."
    Oh my god, can you actually read? I. HAVEN'T. EVER. READ. THAT. BLOG. I. DON'T. GO. ON. 1UP.

jesus christ >_>
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

I can read, which is why I know you read that blog... What happened to being done :)

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Soap
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I can read, which is why I know you read that blog... What happened to being done :)"
    So, because I share an opinion with someone I must read and follow every action they take? And yeah, I was done but then I realised I didn't want to leave the last word to someone who was talking out of there ass :D
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, the series really needs an injection of innovation.

I mean, the first thing I thought when I played Assassin's Creed for the first time was, "Damn, this is what Tenchu ought to play like."

Instead, we get a hokey, tone-breaking ninja game with shit-pits and bottomless holes.  What?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Soap said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "I can read, which is why I know you read that blog... What happened to being done :)"
    So, because I share an opinion with someone I must read and follow every action they take? And yeah, I was done but then I realised I didn't want to leave the last word to someone who was talking out of there ass :D"
    No, not every action. You did however read that blog. Except you misunderstood its hypothetical point, you see, you don't share an opinion, he merely says the Dynasty Warriors syndrome is what may come to the Tecmo (not Tenchu specifically) series after the Koei merge, you speak as if that's already happened, and you give as an example a game which actually looks updated (if in anything but the visuals, but hey, not every studio has Square's budgets) rather than their previous luckluster efforts which really did change almost nothing. Also, leaving the last word to someone talking out of his ass is exactly what you're trying to do every time you post :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72
    deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Al3xand3r vs Soap
    Al3xand3r vs Soap
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Black_Rose

I think it looks decent, maybe good enough for a rental

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Soap
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Soap said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    So, because I share an opinion with someone I must read and follow every action they take? And yeah, I was done but then I realised I didn't want to leave the last word to someone who was talking out of there ass :D"
    No, not every action. You did however read that blog. Except you misunderstood its hypothetical point, you see, you don't share an opinion, he merely says the Dynasty Warriors syndrome is what may come to the Tecmo (not Tenchu specifically) series after the Koei merge, you speak as if that's already happened, and you give as an example a game which actually looks updated (if in anything but the visuals, but hey, not every studio has Square's budgets) rather than their previous luckluster efforts which really did change almost nothing. Also, leaving the last word to someone talking out of his ass is exactly what you're trying to do every time you post :)"
    Ok, now this really is my last say on the matter, because to be frank... I have better things to do.

How can I say this in a way you'll understand, I didn't read that blog, I've never even visited 1UP. Really, it can't be put any simpler than that. It's obvious that your a tenchu fan boy and I've hit a nerve, congratulations on defending your loved one from reason and logic. lol
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, that makes it easier to believe, saying that you haven't even accidentally or casually visited one of the biggest gaming websites out there for so much as an exclusive article, interview, review, video, screenshot, podcast or blog. You'd have to practically avoid it on purpose to manage that as a gamer, and why would you want to avoid it if you hadn't experienced any of it, hmm? Every post you make only makes it even more apparent you did read the blog and try to hide it you know...

As for me being a Tenchu fanboy, I suppose I used to be a fan, up until 3. Then I didn't do anything but merely try the newer parts and given the bad reviews and bad hands on experiences from me which showed the series went nowhere, I never purchased any. This really is a change of direction however, and while it might as well be bad (we can't know 100% until it's released) it  really can't be blamed for sticking to a formula when it does so much to mix it up, regardless of the visuals. Especially not to the extent Dynasty Warriors does it at least, which was what you stated merely to show up as smart for making a fancy comparison plagiarised by a blog, ha... Too bad it was a failure.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Vaxadrin

you just got served, son

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Rose

The gunz!!1

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By DualReaver
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_

How could they possibly make a game look even worse than Tenchu Z?

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krazychris
    Jayge said:
    "How could they possibly make a game look even worse than Tenchu Z?"

By making it for the wii (grapically worse I mean)

Although they seem to be trying to make improvments. For example I always hated the combat in Tenchu games so now they have a fps view, although it looks like it could turn out like red steel. At least they are going back to the acual characters instead of the lame create a character mode in Tenchu Z.
    Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Nets

I really do not understand why Wii owners are hyping this. It looks medicore.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Tenchu has always looked mediocre, even the first couple of them on the PS1 looked far inferior to other PS titles, but the playability and feel of the series still was grand. People are hyped for this because after several shit Tenchu titles they have given the franschise back to the original creators (which did the first couple of games) therefor once again playability expectations have risen despite using what seems to be the same engine they have been using since the PS2 (as they did for the 360 also). It's certainly more hopeful to be a good game than Tenchu Z was and the gameplay additions look fitting so far. I really do not understand why people AREN"T hyped for this (unless later reviews prove it's another dud of course) but I suppose even the original titles were of an acquired taste, in touch with the studio's name (Acquire), ha.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tanuki

Jayge said:

It's a sad day for Tenchu fans everywhere...

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSbabel

Looks viable, gonna a waitfor some more news.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nets

In my opinion, and several other developers', the Wii remote and nunchuck combo feel like a tacked on scheme for action games. The game looks terrible, there hasn't been a standout Tenchu title in a while, and with the trend of most developers on Wii (lazy), this shouldn't be as great as the old ones.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Nets said:
    "In my opinion, and several other developers', the Wii remote and nunchuck combo feel like a tacked on scheme for action games. The game looks terrible, there hasn't been a standout Tenchu title in a while, and with the trend of most developers on Wii (lazy), this shouldn't be as great as the old ones."
    At least it's being made by the original team. They chose Wii, and it's not a minigame collection. I think they're going to put their all into this.
    Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nets
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Nets said:
    "In my opinion, and several other developers', the Wii remote and nunchuck combo feel like a tacked on scheme for action games. The game looks terrible, there hasn't been a standout Tenchu title in a while, and with the trend of most developers on Wii (lazy), this shouldn't be as great as the old ones."
    At least it's being made by the original team. They chose Wii, and it's not a minigame collection. I think they're going to put their all into this."

We'll see. I'm highly skeptical as of now.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru

Seems like the camera will be a big problem with the game.

Sigh. In my opinion, the Tenchu franchise needs to die. Let it be known for it's good PS1 Games. If this game turns out to be good, then I'll retract my statement, but it is just not impressive to me based on that trailer.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Nets said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Nets said:
    At least it's being made by the original team. They chose Wii, and it's not a minigame collection. I think they're going to put their all into this."

We'll see. I'm highly skeptical as of now."
    Who the hell isn't? It's still Tenchu, and it's still 3rd party Wii. These are two things that have been a little down when it comes to quality.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

Tenchu was never impressive and most people's initial reactions were that it's a shoddy game thanks to an awful camera and cumbersome controls, as well as the always shoddy graphics even by PS1 standards. Being the only stealth game other than MGS didn't help its appeal when people saw how blocky everything looked and the view distance was only a few metres ahead of you with everything going pitch black from that point on. Only people who persisted a little more saw the series' charms. It's never been about high production values or anything like that. Sure it would have been nice to have that but if a dodgy engine is all I can have for my Ninja needs, that's all I want. I just hope they decide to give us the level editor which would make it an even easier buy, even make me overlook a potentially dodgy main campaign (but I hope it's actually pretty good) if they make sharing easy like it is for Blast Works or promised for Line Rider 2.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Al3xand3r said:
    level editor
    The meaning of your post.
    I also want the level editor back, because that would kick arse.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayge_
    krazychris said:
    "Jayge said:

By making it for the wii (grapically worse I mean)

Although they seem to be trying to make improvments. For example I always hated the combat in Tenchu games so now they have a fps view, although it looks like it could turn out like red steel. At least they are going back to the acual characters instead of the lame create a character mode in Tenchu Z."
    Tenchu Z's unlockables and customizations were one of the only reasons to bother playing it, along with the online and much tighter than ever controls. Going for the Wii almost seems like a step back, an excuse to go for poorer production values and old, tired gameplay styles for the crew. More powerful hardware allows for so much more sophistication that is absolutely necessary to keep the series alive. Hopefully, if Tenchu 4 is profitable, they decide to take the next one to the PS3 or 360, instead of milking the Wii.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    More powerful hardware allows for so much more sophistication that is absolutely necessary to keep the series alive.
    I think the problem is bad design, not the power of the mothereffing system.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think someone needs to remember there's already been a 360 game if he wants to put the blame of the visuals or the overall production values on the Wii... Also, what Ark said.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By brukaoru
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I think the problem is bad design"
    Agreed!

Also, I didn't find the camera to be bad in the first two PS1 games. The camera just looks bad in this game's trailer, in my opinion. A bad camera can really break a game. I have very little hope for this game.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By BigBoss1911

Looks really boring...and the graphics wow.theyr crap.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zityz

Meh, I want to try another tenchu game, but they really are making it tough for me to even care.

To me looks like it was in development for PS2, but they switched it over to Wii later on and tacked on some controlls.

No thanks. Now, if someone were to make a new Thief game...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayge_
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Jayge said:
    More powerful hardware allows for so much more sophistication that is absolutely necessary to keep the series alive.
    I think the problem is bad design, not the power of the mothereffing system."
    Design is facilitated by hardware advancement. It's hard to use sophisticated AI or visual stealth systems on a console so far behind what they could be developing for. They started down a good path with Z (although with the wrong footing); but the road is clearly paved towards the heavy-duty consoles for the games in the future. I hope.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    Design is facilitated by hardware advancement. It's hard to use sophisticated AI or visual stealth systems on a console so far behind what they could be developing for. They started down a good path with Z (although with the wrong footing); but the road is clearly paved towards the heavy-duty consoles for the games in the future. I hope."
    I'm talking about the foundation. Those games didn't have their minds in the right place. It wasn't a question of AI.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r
    TGS gameplay videos from IGN.
    Looking pretty good in my opinion, considering the Tenchu legacy. Nice smooth gameplay, new (?) multiple stealth kills, some decent graphical effects like the water reflections and distortions, etc.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "More new videos from IGN.
    Looking pretty good in my opinion, considering the Tenchu legacy."
    Looks better than I originally thought, although I think I'd still prefer Tenchu Z. I would pick this up for the PSP though. Maybe get my brothers a surprise ninja-related x-mas present.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PureRok

All I know is when I watched the videos all I could say was "FUCKING AWESOME". I'll be buying this the day it comes out.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Black_Rose

Wow that video looks great, the gameplay is more fast paced than i originally thought. But the voice actin, well the little there was of it, was annoying; also the music is horribly repetitive.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pause422
    Jayge said:
    yeaah.....god this looks bad, then again I don't know if and why anyone would of thought any different given the past games.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PureRok
    pause422 said:
    "Jayge said:
    yeaah.....god this looks bad, then again I don't know if and why anyone would of thought any different given the past games."
    Try to remember it's on the Wii, not the fucking Xbox 360. Vast differences in graphical capabilities, and considering that it's on the Wii it looks really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.