Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Virtua Tennis Wii Details

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r
    From EuroGamer.

"I understand our competitors are using... buttons?" The SEGA producer demoing Virtua Tennis 2009 to us on Wii (also PS3, of which more later) allows surprise and a hint of scorn into his voice. This, his tone implies, is the brave new world of MotionPlus. Buttons are so last year.

I don't know what this part means, Grand Slam Tennis uses MotionPlus also. Maybe not as much?

It takes a little getting used to, especially immediately after using the regular Wii controls which, like Wii Sports Tennis, use timing accuracy within a fairly generous range to determine the positional accuracy of your shot. Now, timing is just that - timing - meaning the window for nailing each ball is a little narrower. Positional accuracy is determined entirely on your swing.

This sounds good.

I found I was naturally sending balls down the right of the court, which became a particular problem when serving to the deuce court; double faults galore. In the end I learned that really quite definite, to the point of exaggerated, swings to left or right would send the ball where I wanted it. As soon as you've made the subtle shift in perspective - as soon as you've understood that the machine is no longer reading sign-language in your gestures, it's actually following your movements from one microsecond to the next - it clicks. And it's extraordinarily natural.

This sounds great.

It's a handsome enough game on Wii, eschewing Grand Slam Tennis' toons in favour of realistic representations of the stars (now including the likes of Andy Murray and Ana Ivaonvic, as well as legends Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg) and the familiar, hard, bright, arcade-machine look of Virtua Tennis. And here's the best part: controls and graphics aside, the Wii version has 100 per cent of the content and modes of the PS3, 360 and PC releases, online included.

Thank you, SEGA.

It sounds very promising, SEGA was tight lipped about this game up until the recent confirmation of MotionPlus support, but it looks like it will give Grand Slam Tennis a run for its money. I'm very glad personally, because as good work as EA seem to be doing, I despise the look of their game. It's not that it's cartoony, I can live with that. It's just... Ugly. To me of course. Preview here.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Me likes.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, I'm hoping it's the better game, or at least equal. I'll buy the better game of course, but I'd like to be able to buy one that I like how it looks.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It looks like a good time for tennis games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's been confirmed for release on June 12th. The game will feature Wii Motion Plus support,

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yay, June. Of course it has MPlus ;)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

I would love a good tennis game for the wii but i hate when they try to make realistic graphics on the wii. It never works out. I wish they would make a tennis game with the same game play as the other versions but graphics that the wii can actually handle. It doesnt really detract from the gameplay in any way but i'd rather not look at horrible character models if it can be avoided.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast still looks great with its realistic graphics. SEGA know their stuff, I don't think they will release a game that looks bad, unless it's a shoddy cash-in game that tries to take some of the market EA's Grand Slam Tennis has attracted (that's cartoony btw). But at least from this first hands-on preview, it doesn't seem to be that way.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

Grand Slam Tennis, i knew i had seen cartoony somewhere thanks oh and good post

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

:D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.