Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Why is that...

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Black_Rose

Everyone complains when a game barely evolves (Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Mario Kart Wii) but when Nintendo actually tries to do something different and innovative like they did with Super Paper Mario everyone still complains?

Seriously, i'm not the biggest SPM fan. But i don't see why so many people hate it, i think it was a pretty good game and the 2D to 3D thing was actually well done and made the puzzles better. Same thing could be said about Majora's Mask, i don't see why so many people cry for something different and when it comes they cry for more of the same.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jigen

I think people lack the capacity to recognize JUST WHY they don't like a game sometimes.

Super Paper Mario, as you bring up, I thought was horrible.  The game forces you to spend a LOT of time simply walking in a straight line from point to point, the treadmill running part, walking around the desert.  The actual combat is almost always extremely easy, and there's not a whole lot of it.  Someone might bring up different points, but I feel I've gotten good at understanding why I don't like a game, because I used to buy games and then get bored of them and not really know why, so I thought about it a lot.

Similar with Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, everyone is hating on that game, and it's not even out yet, because it DOES change things.  That's even dumber than disliking a game just because it didn't change anything.  But there might be more to it than all of that, is what I'm saying.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

The above poster is the first person I have ever seen that disliked Super Paper Mario.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose
    Milkman said:
    "The above poster is the first person I have ever seen that disliked Super Paper Mario."
    Really? Many people dislike it in comparision to the other two, even go so far as calling it a terrible game.
    Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jigen

I heard a lot of people saying how great it was on forums when it was brand new, within a week everyone was saying the game was actually crap.  I haven't heard anyone in months actually say it was a good game.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

I don't understand many of the complaints either. If a game is good to someone, why does it matter if the game has not changed up much from it's predecessor? It's very rare that sequels dramatically change the formula from one game to the next. It's really hard to balance what worked from the previous games while at the same time incorporating new features in a sequel. Either way, all games that try something different will have some people not liking it and others who will.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jigen said:
    "I heard a lot of people saying how great it was on forums when it was brand new, within a week everyone was saying the game was actually crap.  I haven't heard anyone in months actually say it was a good game."
    That was people justifying their purchase of the Wii when they were questioning it.
    I think, however, SPM was pretty good.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Player1

Because people want their favorite games to be changed, but play the same. Which is pretty much impossible. Very good point you made. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai

People love and hate the familiar and the unfamiliar.

I liked Super Paper Mario only because it was more platformer than RPG, but it wasn't that great because it wasn't a great platformer.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jigen
    Dalai said:
    "People love and hate the familiar and the unfamiliar.

I liked Super Paper Mario only because it was more platformer than RPG, but it wasn't that great because it wasn't a great platformer."
    It was a horrible platformer and a weak RPG put together really.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

I don't think i've seen anyone hate Super Paper Mario. I've heard it criticised for being more of a platformer than an RPG.

Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Roy42
    I love the Paper Mario's, i like seeing how they got even more awesome from Super Mario RPG to thousand year door to this, even if all of the fights are in real time, making Count Bleck the absolutely piss easiest boss ever. Seriously, i had gone through the pit of trials like, 10 times, so i just used Bowser and he was dead in a minute.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Black_Rose said:
    "Everyone complains when a game barely evolves (Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Mario Kart Wii) but when Nintendo actually tries to do something different and innovative like they did with Super Paper Mario everyone still complains?

Seriously, i'm not the biggest SPM fan. But i don't see why so many people hate it, i think it was a pretty good game and the 2D to 3D thing was actually well done and made the puzzles better. Same thing could be said about Majora's Mask, i don't see why so many people cry for something different and when it comes they cry for more of the same."
    Um, gamers are finicky Rose. And you're generalizing. But I get whet you're saying. Gamers have become spoiled and want/expect too many things from video games, and they all want different things. People are always going to complain about games when they come out. I'm not sure if I explained well what I'm trying to say, it's sort of hard to put it in words from in my head, but hopefully the point will come across.

On a side note, I loved TP and FE:RD. Zelda just felt like another Zelda title, which is what I thought people wanted, I don't know what people want from Zelda now. I know what I want, which isn't much, but would probably never happen. I also have an idea (perfect in my head) for a new StarFox, maybe I'll blog it. But someone else might not like my ideas and go onto forums where they can complain. W/E, you can't satisfy everyone.

The industry could go a Bioware route and ask their users certain things. Most developers want to keep things secret about the game, to gain excitement, but if part of research and development was to research on boards and stuff what different people want in a game that's coming out, it could be a good thing.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Earthbounder

I think the Paper Mario games are much better than Super Paper Mario but I really liked what Nintendo did. I think the series needed a break from its RPG formula and the old-school platforming worked perfectly. I loved everything about Super Paper Mario. Had they released another RPG we would now be complaining that the series never changed at all, isntead we are now desperate for a new Mario RPG!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earthbounder said:
    "I think the Paper Mario games are much better than Super Paper Mario but I really liked what Nintendo did. I think the series needed a break from its RPG formula and the old-school platforming worked perfectly. I loved everything about Super Paper Mario. Had they released another RPG we would now be complaining that the series never changed at all, isntead we are now desperate for a new Mario RPG!"
    And that's how it is for many games. So people will always be complaining about something. =/
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

People are only satisfied when they get what they don't have.

Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Roy42
    Earthbounder said:
    "I think the Paper Mario games are much better than Super Paper Mario but I really liked what Nintendo did. I think the series needed a break from its RPG formula and the old-school platforming worked perfectly. I loved everything about Super Paper Mario. Had they released another RPG we would now be complaining that the series never changed at all, isntead we are now desperate for a new Mario RPG!"
    Well i did get a new RPG, since we never had the original Super Mario RPG in australia, so even though i've got that good ol' diagonal moving gameplay, it's awesome, glad to see the roots, plus it gives a decent challenge, 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By jakob187

I'll give the game automatic suckage because of the bullshit treadmill crap.  That was single-handedly the DUMBEST

DUMBEST

D    U      M     B       E      S       T

fucking game design choice in the history of game making, and YES, I AM INCLUDING BIG RIGS IN THAT!!!

I sat outside, away from my TV without it in sight, holding down the button while smoking five cigarettes and chatting with friends and did that part.  That is just plain fucking ignorant.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Earthbounder
    SPOILERS

But there was no need to spend such a long time on treadmill, after less than five minutes of running inside it you would earn enough money to pay that a hidden character inside the mansion in order to get the code to the vault. I know five minutes of pressing the D-pad may be boring but it is not as bad as most people say.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snail

The treadmill was stupid...

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Actually, I kinda like it when Nintendo tries new things. I prefer Super Mario Sunshine over Mario Galaxy. I also preferred both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker over Twilight Princess (though I did like all three). I think taking Metroid into 3D was bold and worked out beautifully (I know Retro Studios made it, and not Nintendo, but whatever). Honestly, I preferred the action-based gameplay in Super Paper Mario over the RPG-based gameplay in past Paper Mario games, and I thought the 3D ability was neat, however I prefer the older Paper Mario games for other reasons. Besides, the original Paper Mario itself was a pretty unique game and something kinda different for Nintendo. I liked that Mario Kart: Double Dash added 2 players to each kart, it opened up some new strategies and fun. I like it when Nintendo innovates a bit, rather than simply relying on taking an old game and making it bigger and more next-gen. Super Smash Bros Brawl for instance, had such a lack of change that I couldn't get very interested in it after having already invested so much time into Smash Bros Melee, which was such a similar game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.