Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Will the next Nintendo console use motion controls?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

With the huge success for the Wii it seems like they need to put motion controls in their next console. But will Nintendo be forced to use it just because of the huge success and they don't want to let people down? Will they ever go back to a regular controller?

I think that unless they think of something even more innovative such as the video of Johnny Lee demonstrating the head tracking thing with the Wii Remote.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

there will be no next Wii console.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godwind

They will inject images into our brains.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Im guessing motion controls will be an option so that they can go backwards compatible, but im sure they'll have something new and awesome

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MKHavoc

Yes, why change a winning formula?  Also I don't think we'll see another console from Nintendo until late into the PS4/720 era.  Look at how many people are still buying PS2's nearly 9 years later.  They might be able to have that 10 years life span that Sony's always talking about.  Sure, Sony still produces PS2's but they did needed to release the PS3 halfway through its life.  Nintendo might not have to do that.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If they do, hopefully they work better. Maybe the MotionPlus will change everything. Maybe it will make me believe...

I kind of think Nintendo might try something completely out of left field with their next console. Something new and innovative once again. I'm not really sure what kind of direction they go, perhaps they'll stick with motion controls. It's hard to say. I think from my experience with my Wii, I'd rather go back to a normal gaming controller. Motion controllers just don't seem to have the necessary precision or responsiveness.

MKHavoc, it's also worth noting that Nintendo thinks they lost last-gen because they released their console last. Though, that definitely was not the reason, and considering the Wii came out a year after the 360, maybe they finally figured that out.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

It'll have both IR and motion based capabilities, it's the perfect setup for any kind of game except conventional beat em ups that require a conventional pad. I can see why people dislike motion, though personally I think it adds to the experience when done right, even prior to the motion plus add-on, but IR functions own regardless. There's no way they'll be ditching that.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    Ossi said:
    "The next nintendo console is just a Wii remote add-on that transmits a signal to your Wii to make all your games run 720p! That or 3D-Glasses."
    Amazing!!!!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Obviously. They're not going to go go back to basics, when motion controls have proved so popular.

The real question, will microsoft and sony adopt motion controls? That's a more tricky one to answer.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
    MattyFTM said:
    "Obviously. They're not going to go go back to basics, when motion controls have proved so popular.The real question, will microsoft and sony adopt motion controls? That's a more tricky one to answer."

If so, I hope it is only peripherally. I. Don't. Want. A. Wii60.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

In answer to the question of the topic, certainly, but I expect Nintendo will add yet again to the array of control options in a new way also.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ParanoidFreak

If they don't use motion controls it will seem like a step back, so they are forced to use motion controls.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm in the camp that says the Wii is selling in such ungodly large numbers that Nintendo has no need to come out with a new console anytime soon. Even if the sales were to drop off considerably they would still be in better financial condition than their two chief competitor's gaming divisions.

I also agree that motion controls are really a no-brainer for their next platform when it does come around. They will have had this entire generation to refine the motion controls to a fine edge. The only thing they really need to do is add graphical muscle so that more developers will bring big budget titles to it.

As for Microsoft or Sony adopting motion controls I don't see it happening. After the miserable failure of the Sixaxis (we do remember Lair don't we) they both seem to have left it behind. The Wii is in a completely different world than the 360 and PS3.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r
    CenturionCajun said:
    "I'm in the camp that says the Wii is selling in such ungodly large numbers that Nintendo has no need to come out with a new console anytime soon. "
    That's a given, which is why all the media attention to "Wii HD" and "Wii 2" rumours and news is so amusing. Just because Nintendo is the only company to tell them how the industry works, and how research for a new machine begins as soon as one is ready, they take it out of context and grasp at straws. These people still don't know what they're talking about when it comes to the Wii, much like analysts who condemnded it from the start and now look at any chance they can (zomg it didn't make RECORD SALES this month, the end is nigh)  to claim Wii doomsday is coming, in order to justify their initial statements by being able to say "the fad is finally over, it just took longer than anticipated" or something along those lines, lol.
    taco484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By taco484

I think the next wii will in fact have motion controls, but theyll probably have a built in hard drive, built in wii motion plus, and a more HD capable system...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.