Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft's reponse Xbox 360 54% failure rate ?

• 72 results
    PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PlipO

Anyone know if Microsoft has published a response to the recent report claiming that xbox 360 have a 54% failure rate ?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai
    @PlipO said:
    " Anyone know if Microsoft has published a response to the recent report claiming that xbox 360 have a 54% failure rate ?  
    If they do then you'll probably get some PR person talking his PR crap. God I hate PR people but they are sure useful sometimes. 
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

It'll probably be based around the fact that the 54% is from a sample group (albeit a very large one) and not from the entirety of the 360-owning world. 

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I recall a few years ago MS was saying that console failures were "a small minority" or something along those lines. They can't blow much more hot air in the face of this statistic; but knowing MS, you never know.

Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Benjaminvdv

The 54% is obviously blown out of proportion, it's either fake or aimed at a specific model.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Surveys and test groups are fucking retarded. 

That is all.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @Fish_Face_McGee:  Yeah they did say that the sample group included 5000 360 owners so it really does not represent all the 360 owners. Only MS knows the real failure rate numbers and they are not going to release that any time soon, if ever. Most failure rate percentages are from independent companies and are still just an estimate (though a very good one) but an estimate is and estimate. Still 54% out of 5000 is a very high number, indeed.  
    They also published on their last issue that the 1 billion dollars MS put aside to deal with the RROD issue has past the red line and is showing no signs of stopping. Microsoft had $17.681 Billion in Net Income in 2008 so they have the money to back it but $1 Billion is still a hard pill to swallow for any mega company. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@Benjaminvdv said:

" The 54% is obviously blown out of proportion, it's either fake or aimed at a specific model. "

From what I know it was a fairly random survey. I doubt Game Informer went through the proper procedure of getting accurate data, but from personal experience (and I'm sure many others can say the same) this statistic is on the mark. My 360 got the red ring only once, though I know plenty of people who've had problems with theirs' multiple times. 

Either way, there's no doubting that there's a major problem with the red ring. Whether it's 54%, or 44%, or 75%... it should be changed.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust
    @JacobForrest said:
       Either way, there's no doubting that there's a major problem with the red ring. Whether it's 54%, or 44%, or 75%... it should be changed. "
    This is true.  My 360 red-ringed twice, but any level of double-digit system failure is alarming and should be avoided at all costs.  The real problem will come with the next Xbox as Microsoft will need to convince all the people who's 360s broke during this generation that the new Xbox will have a much lower failure rate and is worth the investment.   No one wants to buy a car that breaks down all the time...look at the Pinto.  
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Insectecutor

I'm pretty keen to see this survey and how it was conducted, whether it states a time frame and what kind of questions it asks. I suspect it's pretty poor if it came up with such an alarming number. Nobody I know has ever had a red ring, neither have I, although I'm bound to get one when I fire up Shadow Complex tonight after a post like this.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By EdIsCool

PR  person "Yeah so what... we has the haloez, does Sony has the haloez, no they dont" *sticks tongue out*"At microsoft you will be dealt with shitily and you'll like it, at Microsoft your name is Blossom"

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PlipO

I have doubts about the 54%, I expect it is common practice for a company as big as Microsoft making a product as complex as the 360 - to rigirously test the first few hundred for several days constantly.  If the 54% figure from the survey is true - Microsoft would have seen similar results in their initial testing and therefore made changes to improve realiabilty.

I wonder if there are any clauses in consumer regulations that states the percentage of reliability a product has to reach before it can be sold to consumers.
    If Microsoft has evidence showing that the failure rate is significantly lower than 54% - they should publish it as soon as possible because this survey will be used as beating stick by consumer groups and sly competitors.  Sony now intends to reduced their price at the same  Microsoft intends increase the price of one of the Xbox bundles in the wake of this survey.  If Microsoft does not put a positive spin on this; Sony might see significant sales rise of the PS3 from now up until the end of December.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

What are they going to respond to?  The sample group was quite small, and although the numbers were high, just how believable are they?  I certainly don't buy the 10% failure rate on PS3's.  And how many people who got RRoD's just didn't understand what it is?  The RRoD is a warning system, and doesn't necessarily mean your system is dead, it can be as simple as cables or the HDD not connected correctly..  These days people see the red, and assume it's broken.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Cerza
    @EdIsCool said:
    " PR  person "Yeah so what... we has the haloez, does Sony has the haloez, no they dont" *sticks tongue out*"At microsoft you will be dealt with shitily and you'll like it, at Microsoft your name is Blossom" "
    I LOL'd
    EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EdIsCool

thanks, in my world PR people speak leet speek...think about it. How awesome would it be if peter molyneux had to oversell his products in leet-speek.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I hoping that others conduct their own credible surveys and expose the severity of this BS.  I'm really angry right now, one of my 360's fucked up yesterday, it red ringed while while I was playing Lost Planet 2 with friends, while I was inside that Salamander anal passage of all places. It's fucked up.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    "What are they going to respond to?  The sample group was quite small, and although the numbers were high, just how believable are they?  I certainly don't buy the 10% failure rate on PS3's.  And how many people who got RRoD's just didn't understand what it is?  The RRoD is a warning system, and doesn't necessarily mean your system is dead, it can be as simple as cables or the HDD not connected correctly..  These days people see the red, and assume it's broken. "

You're totally correct. 
    When i first bought my X360 i had an RRoD due to the fact i didn't connect the cables properly and i instantly thought the thing was broken because i read so much stuff about it. 
    Stupidy me... but fortunately, it came to my knowledge soon enough. 
    DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarkFlow83

You also have to factor in the fact that this survey was conducted by Game Informer.  I'm sure more then a few PS3 fan boys who don't even own a 360 put down that theres had RRoD.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more like 540% amirite...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool

I don't doubt for one second that 54% is wrong.  Ifanything, I suspect it is higher, especially as the machine hits 3 and 4 years.  Someone mentioned the Ford Pinto, that is what the 360 is, albeit with a V8 engine, but not a reliable one.  If it was a car, it would have had a full recall.   

Microsoft were not generous with their extended warranty.  It was the cheapest option.  The other two were a full recall or a class action - neither very pretty. 

Why did I buy one again?  Oh yeah, I wanted some good RPG games.   Oh well.  I can hopethat I am in the 46% who don't get dead machines.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oriental_Jams

'It is because our console gets played the most'

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE

Hahahaha I read about that. 54% failure rate. That. Is. Devastating.

At least they manned up and have everyone covered for RROD, so I can't be as pissed as I would normally be.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru

I have always been very skeptical about the previous 30% failure rate claim. I think it's much more than that, 54% sounds more believable.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
    @masterpaperlink said:
    " more like 540% amirite... "
    Lawl, u r.
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JazzyJeff

I honestly think the failure rate is higher than 54%. I love my 360, but every person I know who also owns one has had this issue. I know there are people out there who have had one for a while and not had an problem, but it seems rare.

I'd love to know the actual numbers.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mike

I used to think it was 10%...but that was way back when I had my original launch console. Now I'm on my fourth.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @PlipO said:
    " Anyone know if Microsoft has published a response to the recent report claiming that xbox 360 have a 54% failure rate ? "
    That result is from the most recent issue of gameinformer.
    They got the results from surveying about 5000 members of gameinformer.com.
    So 54% of 5000 gameinformer users have experienced hardware failures this may not represent the real percentage of Xboxs that fail. It could be more and it could be less.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By KamasamaK
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @PlipO said:
    " Anyone know if Microsoft has published a response to the recent report claiming that xbox 360 have a 54% failure rate ? "
    That result is from the most recent issue of gameinformer. They got the results from surveying about 5000 members of gameinformer.com. So 54% of 5000 gameinformer users have experienced hardware failures this may not represent the real percentage of Xboxs that fail. It could be more and it could be less. "
    Using 54% of the people experiencing hardware failures would be a poor way to measure it. That doesn't take into account the number of consoles that failed, just the number of owners who have had at least one fail.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KamasamaK

Found it at IGN.com

Microsoft said:

Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry. We are constantly improving the design, manufacture and performance of the console through extensive testing of potential sources of any problems. Xbox 360 is pleased to maintain the title of "most played console" and the vast majority of Xbox 360 customers have enjoyed a terrific gaming and entertainment experience since their first day, and continue to, day in and day out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mordukai
    @Kamasama said:
    " Found it at IGN.com

Microsoft said:

Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry. We are constantly improving the design, manufacture and performance of the console through extensive testing of potential sources of any problems. Xbox 360 is pleased to maintain the title of "most played console" and the vast majority of Xbox 360 customers have enjoyed a terrific gaming and entertainment experience since their first day, and continue to, day in and day out.

"
    Classic PR response. I think MS should just release the real numbers (we all know they have them) and just get it over with. It's not like people are going to stop buying it. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I doubt microsoft would release a response specially to a game informer non informal poll where any one could take part.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By whyzenheimer

I love my 360 very much.  Or, should I say loved?  Having 2 of them in the house (one has been replaced once and the other twice), I am tired of dealing with outsourced technical support which treats me first like a moron, and then like a thief.

Giving up on the system is not an option for me, as I am a huge fan of Xbox Live and Arcade, but if there were a class-action lawsuit to sue Microsoft for what seems like a complete lack of hardware stress testing, I would be all over it.

And then I would probably win another copy of Undertow.

To stop any fanboy retorts, I have owned every major system available for purchase (minus the Jaguars/Turbos/Sega CD/32x etc) since the NES.  Other than a launch PS2 I had to have replaced, all of them are launch systems and still work like new.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By willylo

Being that I've gone through 4 of the original model 360s and now 1 of the newer versions, got it over Christmas. I'd say MS still have an issue with it, 54% seems pretty high, but I can promise it's higher than that of the Wii and PS3, being that the term, "Ring of Death" has become common knowledge in todays society. I love the system but I just buy the exclusives on it, it's just to unreliable to put my full effort into.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

who knows if it is true. i just kind of think that it might be soemthing like 40% or something around there, 54% is very high. i am on my 3rd 360 though. people could have just put down they had rrod even though they don't even own a 360.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

I thought Game Informer surveyed 5000 people? That's only a fraction of the amount of people that bought a 360

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rio

Some of you can defend it all you want, but every person I know who has had a 360 has had at least one failure.  Many of them have had more than one failure.  From my anecdotal experience 54% seems conservative.    

And to be clear I like the 360 as a console and play it all the time, but I hate the hardware.  If my second 360 breaks I'm not gonna bother with it anymore, especially considering how many games I'm interested in playing on my ps3 now.  The main reason I have my 360 right now is for Forza 3 and ME2, cant really think of anything else I want for it that I cant get on the ps3 as well.  Its unfortunate that  seeing anything to do with the xbox360 leaves a bad taste in my mouth, its just annoying.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By spankingaddict
    @oldschool:  i agree if anything its higher, it sounds like an average of 2 out of 3 systems get screwed up...
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KamasamaK
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" I doubt microsoft would release a response specially to a game informer non informal poll where any one could take part. "

I doubt it too, but instead of using a double negative like "non informal" you could just say "formal". Oh, and whatever you do, don't look on the previous page.

@natetodamax said:

" I thought Game Informer surveyed 5000 people? That's only a fraction of the amount of people that bought a 360 "

That's how polls are done. You take a reasonably large sampling and assume the results are close to actuality. This is obviously not a method for accurate measurement, especially if the sampling is not random.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jkz

Well....they DO have a great warrenty :)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By oldschool
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Well....they DO have a great warrenty :) "
    Only because they have to.  It was forced on them for legal reasons, but as an act of love.  Sony and Nintendo don't such a warranty because they have consoles that work properly.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yakov456
    @Rio said:
    " Some of you can defend it all you want, but every person I know who has had a 360 has had at least one failure.  Many of them have had more than one failure.  From my anecdotal experience 54% seems conservative.     And to be clear I like the 360 as a console and play it all the time, but I hate the hardware.  If my second 360 breaks I'm not gonna bother with it anymore, especially considering how many games I'm interested in playing on my ps3 now.  The main reason I have my 360 right now is for Forza 3 and ME2, cant really think of anything else I want for it that I cant get on the ps3 as well.  Its unfortunate that  seeing anything to do with the xbox360 leaves a bad taste in my mouth, its just annoying. "

You sound just like I did a few months back, vowed if my second 360 goes then I'm done. And thats exactly what happened. Good for you bro, you have separated yourself from the pack.

How could people possibly think it's fake? Just talk to people and read comments on a daily basis, sounds to me like it must be pretty close to the truth. Shit, I have a 100% failure rate with the two that I owned.  

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By c1337us

66% of my 360's have had a 100% failure rate.

Nappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nappan

MS, like any company, isn't going to care about a SURVEY done by a MAGAZINE. Get real. :roll:   54% is obviously bullshit, but that doesn't mean the failure rate is spectacularly high... because it is. Of course, MS put a billion to back warranties, so I guess that's been addressed.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ninjakiller

My friend had his repaired four times.  I don't doubt the 54% at all.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

Oh you mean their 46% success rate.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By rateoforange

I'm on my second. I think the Jasper revision is the end of the rrod, though.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Burns098356GX
    Benjaminvdv said:
    " The 54% is obviously blown out of proportion, it's either fake or aimed at a specific model. "
    I agree, as much as we know the 360 hardware fails, I cannot belive its 54%, thats just astronomical. As much as I hate defending MS, because I am impartial to Sony or MS, I would like to know more about how this survey was conducted. It just seems to unscientific and skewed to have more then half of the 360's fail, it just doenst make sence.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowayne

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a second. The term "54% failure rate" by itself doesn't make much sense. What does it mean?
     "54% of 360 consoles fail during the 3-year-warranty"? 
    "54% of Xbox users are on their second, third, etc. console"? 
    "54% of 360 consoles get returned to Microsoft at some point"?
     "Since launch, 54% of sold 360 consoles failed"?
     There are differences in each. 

And from what I've heard and read, the percentage of 360 owners who are still on their first machine when the warranty is over is way, WAY lower than 46%. I would even say that the chance your Xbox360 will break at one point in the three years after purchase is higher than 75%.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By jakob187

So what exactly do you mean by "failure rate"?  Does that mean failure the minute the box is opened?  Failure after 6 months?  A year?  Three years?  I think it's funny that people complain about intensive hardware crapping out after three years or so in today's marketplace.  At least Microsoft did what many wouldn't do:  offered an extended warranty on the product across ALL models.  It took a while, sure, but it will always take a while when you have to compile a fuckload of data about it. 

Either way, 54% is a ridiculously high number.  Doing that kind of a test with only 5,000 people is pretty dumb, and also, what are the circumstances behind "failure"?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187
    @oldschool said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " Well....they DO have a great warrenty :) "
    Only because they have to.  It was forced on them for legal reasons, but as an act of love.  Sony and Nintendo don't such a warranty because they have consoles that work properly. "
    I hate double posting...HOWEVER...Giant Bomb's page-to-page abilities are still a bit lacking. 

My Wii broke after a year and a half.  Fan died.  Wasn't covered under warranty.  Everyone I knew with a launch console...had the same thing happen.  This is actually an issue that Nintendo is completely aware of, but they won't do shit about.  The first year's worth of Wii's have this problem, and the fan not working kills the system!!!  IT'S A FUCKING FAN!!!  It's a little $5 part.  Upon calling Nintendo, they told me that my Wii was no longer under warranty for that problem, but I could send it in to their repair center and...to replace the fan...IT WOULD COST ABOUT $150!!! 

-_- 

Meanwhile, Sony has their own problems coming up right now with this error light they've been getting lately.  Anyone remember the "disc read error" problems with the PS2?  Now with the PS3 Slim coming along, I'm sure we'll be hearing about failures left and right, just the same as how the PS2 Slim ended up getting the Disc Read Error sooner than the PS2 Fatboy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.