Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

The Xbox is such a shit console.

• 118 results
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "*points to his 360 elite over year old, and pro launch console* neither have failed..."
    Are you going to give him one of those?
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Woffls

Mine got E74, but it got 3RL prior to that so I sent it in for 3RL repair and got it back, repaired, free of charge. Might be worth trying your luck.

This is in the UK, though.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By brukaoru
    get2sammyb said:
    "Does anyone know how much money Microsoft lose fixing these systems? I'd be curious to see how much it costs to make a 360 and how much they are wasting fixing all these faulty consoles? I'm sure they make a fair bit back with Live subscriptions but I'm wondering - if the Wii only makes $6 per system and the PS3 loses $50; where abouts does the 360 slot in?"
    They estimated a 1 billion dollar loss for fixing systems, which came true...
    Microsoft's red ringXbox 360 problems have cost the company about a billion dollars in warranty repairs, but the research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner said that the hardware problems were caused because Microsoft wanted to be cheap. Instead of using an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) vender to make a graphics chip for the 360, Microsoft decided to design it themselves and have Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing create it. This saved "tens of millions of dollars" in design costs. Yes, only tens of millions.

The good news is that when Microsoft said that their red ring problems are fixed on newer units, they were probably right. They went to "an unnamed ASIC vendor based in the United States and redesigned the chip." Probably ATI, is what EETimes thinks. Moral of the story is to not skimp on chip design so you can save tens of millions, because that may come back and bite you in the ass down the road. [EETimes]
    http://gizmodo.com/5015483/microsofts-1-billion-xbox-360-recall-problems-caused-by-chip-cheapness
    DoomsDayClock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By DoomsDayClock

The worst console I have ever owned. I had to return mine 6 times, the last repair was just a month ago and they have yet to give me a new one. I really love the 360 has its probably my most played console since the SNES but the system is really badly designed and I'm glad they took a billion dollar loss because it at least teaches them a lesson.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By get2sammyb
    brukaoru said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Does anyone know how much money Microsoft lose fixing these systems? I'd be curious to see how much it costs to make a 360 and how much they are wasting fixing all these faulty consoles? I'm sure they make a fair bit back with Live subscriptions but I'm wondering - if the Wii only makes $6 per system and the PS3 loses $50; where abouts does the 360 slot in?"
    They estimated a 1 billion dollar loss for fixing systems, which came true...
    Microsoft's red ringXbox 360 problems have cost the company about a billion dollars in warranty repairs, but the research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner said that the hardware problems were caused because Microsoft wanted to be cheap. Instead of using an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) vender to make a graphics chip for the 360, Microsoft decided to design it themselves and have Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing create it. This saved "tens of millions of dollars" in design costs. Yes, only tens of millions.

The good news is that when Microsoft said that their red ring problems are fixed on newer units, they were probably right. They went to "an unnamed ASIC vendor based in the United States and redesigned the chip." Probably ATI, is what EETimes thinks. Moral of the story is to not skimp on chip design so you can save tens of millions, because that may come back and bite you in the ass down the road. [EETimes]
    http://gizmodo.com/5015483/microsofts-1-billion-xbox-360-recall-problems-caused-by-chip-cheapness"
    That's absolutely insane. I guess we can all be rest assured they will put out better hardware come the XBOX3.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hexpane

The XBOX was actually super awesome, it's the XBOX360 is the one that sucks ass

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Hexpane said:
    "The XBOX was actually super awesome, it's the XBOX360 is the one that sucks ass"

Please, the 360 is much better than the xbox.  The 360 is even better than the ps2, and that says a lot.
    EFKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By EFKT

My xbox has lived through a powercut and something close to a 40 hour GTAIV playing.
    I think the xbox is fine, though it has flaws. Mines a launch model by the way, no problems at all.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By Ujio

You mean there's something worse than a RRoD? What the hell is an E74 error? Jesus, how many errors does that friggin' system have going for it now?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Geno
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Seriously, I got a fucking E74 error.  Now don't get me wrong, I like the 360.  In fact, it's my favorite console I've ever had.  That being said, holy fuck.  This is going to be the second time I have to send this thing in.  it better be free because I will flip if it isn't.  This is straight up bullshit. 

Anyway, do you think they actually will check?  I'll just say I have the RROD when I have a E74 in reality."
    30% failure rate, what did you expect? 360 consoles have a worse track record than used cars.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By TomA

They should really get their shit together and start selling consoles that don't break so often.Also they put so many layers of underpaid employess from other countries and recorded pre determined messages that people who want to complain try to do so and they just get fed up and stop trying before they get anywhere.Seriously i was on the phone for almost 7 hours trying to get my Wireless internet adapter to work.That's crap.BTW I too am on the "i like the software but hate the hardware and service" train.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By LiquidPrince

Define E74ing...

TheBill1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By TheBill1979

I've had the E74 error upon booting the console a few times. E74 is generally a AV cable problem. I just shut down and reboot. That always works for me.

However, if you cannot fix the issue that way (I'm assuming that you've already tried it), then it's probably the GPU (which is a definite problem). I would definitely try to get a hold of a different AV cable (borrow a friend's).

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Hexpane
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "The XBOX was actually super awesome, it's the XBOX360 is the one that sucks ass"

Please, the 360 is much better than the xbox.  The 360 is even better than the ps2, and that says a lot."
    Not at all.

XBOX 1 = included HDD
    XBOX360 HDD optional
    XBOX1 = still working after all these years
    XBOX360 = RROD lawsuits confirming failure
    XBOX1 black design
    XBOX360 = gimpy looking curved white design
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By TheHBK

Yup, i love the Xbox, but fuck.  Mine broke a week ago and piece of shit, it fucking got the red ring.  So now its in Texas for some R&R and hopefully I get one back with HDMI.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By End_Boss
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Hexpane said:

Please, the 360 is much better than the xbox.  The 360 is even better than the ps2, and that says a lot."

WRONG-O.
    The preceding statement was brought to you by a 360 fanboy.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Hexpane
    TheHBK said:
    "Yup, i love the Xbox, but fuck.  Mine broke a week ago and piece of shit, it fucking got the red ring.  So now its in Texas for some R&R and hopefully I get one back with HDMI."
    YOu mean your XBOX360?  XBOXs do not get RROD (early models got DDEs)
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119  Edited By psmgamer

I feel your pain man about the system. In 2006 my parents bought an Xbox 360 pro bundle that only lasted a couple of months because it gave us disc read errors on games. We called Microsoft and got a replacement system in the mail for free that last until the end of 2007 like around November. My brother ended up taking the system with him when he moved out and used the shit out of it. I believe that he broke the system since he's the main person who would play it. My brother ended up getting a preowned system from a local pawnshop which to our surprised gave us the same disc read errors lke when we first got the same in 2006. It had a manufactoring date of 2006 I think and so my brother finally decided to get an elite from walmart rather than get another pro bundle or a used system. He got a 2 year warrant and that was before the price drop that happened last year and hasn't had any problems with the system since then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.