Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Congratulations to the vocal minority.

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You fuckwits have ruined it. Your rabid defense of Gamestop has pushed the industry to the point where now there are two consoles coming out that are minor hardware upgrades over the current ones, with no substantial advancement of the industry. Your adherence to the archaic medium of optical discs and your ability to resell them for less than fifty cents on the dollar has led to us losing many of the most exciting features of this nascent generation. If you think this was all worth it for your $7 copy of Bomberman: Act Zero, you are wrong.

Unless Microsoft is keeping these capabilities in the XBox One and is able to reactivate them at a later point then we will have to wait an entire other generation to have any advancement of video game consoles. Of course there were kinks to work out, details to clear up, policies to reconsider. Yes the 24 hour limit was borderline draconian. These could have been fixed, discussion could have been had. Now we get nothing. Who would have thought that 140 characters and hashtags weren't the forum for cogent discourse? Screaming on the internet has somehow worked for you, and now we have to pay the price.

All this for the sake of Gamestop? Are you kidding me? God damn.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WarlordPayne

Hey, if you're okay with not owning anything that you buy that's fine. Some people aren't.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Yes! Let's do this, let's all backlash against their new policies >:D this will really confuse them!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

shill harder, i cant feel it

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We did it you guys

No Caption Provided
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

I really hope that there is a new console released that doesn't even need a optical drive because we will finally realise how fucking dumb discs are.

Loading Video...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Oh, you.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tescovee

What Is great is those same people were never going to get one in the first place, now all you see is...its more expensive blah blah blah. Kinect 0mgz0rz! It's wonderful the internet...they "fixed" ME3 and fixed something that could've helped moving away from stupid cd's...

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maajin

I'll agree with Justin McElroy on twitter and say this is 1% because of the vocal minority and 99% because of Sony not doing the same as them.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Arthur Gies, is that you?

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By confusedowl

Because who doesn't love it when their console becomes nothing but a big paperweight when the servers shut down!?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ares42

Meh, by the time E3 came around it seemed to be much more driven by a narrative coming from the media rather than consumer outcry. I'd say the endless amount of "PS4 won E3" articles was the deciding factor, not people crying on forums.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Maybe in five years when my internet catches up I'll be in favour of an all-digital console. Until then, nope, sorry.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Does anybody else try to avoid posting in these threads because you think you'll just echo what's already been said? (That's my way of saying that I agree that this thread is kinda dumb.)

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ExplodeMode

Vocal minority? Based on what? All evidence points to the contrary.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jimmyfenix
    CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't miss what you never had.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Deal with it.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If gamers would have backed them, they would have stuck to their guns over Sony. Now we get a nerfed Xbox 360.5.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

Probably their sales data making it abundantly clear it wasn't a minority. Too bad you don't get what you want, but Microsoft would have been insane to stick with their policies. Just like Sony would have been insane not to drive the 'Fuck DRM!' bus through the massive gap Microsoft left them.

You didn't need sources to see these things coming - a modicum of critical thinking should have been enough. Microsoft sticking to their policies would have been suicidal. It's better for all of us that they dropped them sooner rather than later because at least now there will be a genuine competition. If you had your way you'd have ended up with a dead console before long.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aegon

flagged

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX

@jimbo said:

Probably their sales data making it abundantly clear it wasn't a minority. Too bad you don't get what you want, but Microsoft would have been insane to stick with their policies. Just like Sony would have been insane not to drive the 'Fuck DRM!' bus through the massive gap Microsoft left them.

You didn't need sources to see these things coming - a modicum of critical thinking should have been enough. Microsoft sticking to their policies would have been suicidal. It's better for all of us that they dropped them sooner rather than later because at least now there will be a genuine competition. If you had your way you'd have ended up with a dead console before long.

Yeah I've read they were getting soundly beaten on both Amazon and Gamestop preorders. At that point it's not a vocal minority, it's a majority who actually did vote with their wallets.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not one prone to saying stuff like this: But if you're actually sitting here bitter that those evil "whiners" on twitter "got their way" because they just wanted their video game console to not be a needlessly restricted mess of anti-consumer policies run by people who don't give a fuck about my interests, you are a pretty despicable human being. I've no time for boot lickers.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Vocal minority? Microsoft were getting hammered by more than just gaming press/forums.

Also, fuck you too.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think MS changing their mind had less to do with a vocal minority and more to do with preorder numbers.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

You mad bro?

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hey, if you're okay with not owning anything that you buy that's fine. Some people aren't.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@darknessmyoldfriend said:

You fuckwits have ruined it. Your rabid defense of Gamestop has pushed the industry to the point where now there are two consoles coming out that are minor hardware upgrades over the current ones, with no substantial advancement of the industry. Your adherence to the archaic medium of optical discs and your ability to resell them for less than fifty cents on the dollar has led to us losing many of the most exciting features of this nascent generation. If you think this was all worth it for your $7 copy of Bomberman: Act Zero, you are wrong.

Unless Microsoft is keeping these capabilities in the XBox One and is able to reactivate them at a later point then we will have to wait an entire other generation to have any advancement of video game consoles. Of course there were kinks to work out, details to clear up, policies to reconsider. Yes the 24 hour limit was borderline draconian. These could have been fixed, discussion could have been had. Now we get nothing. Who would have thought that 140 characters and hashtags weren't the forum for cogent discourse? Screaming on the internet has somehow worked for you, and now we have to pay the price.

All this for the sake of Gamestop? Are you kidding me? God damn.

Thank you sir. I'm sad we have to live in a world of pre order bonuses and day one dlc for the next 8 years.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By ThePickle

If we were really the minority do you really think Microsoft would make these changes? But, I'll take your congratulations anyways. Those 10 or so posts I made really forced that multi billion dollar company to do a massive shift.

No Caption Provided

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maajin: Well yeah, but why did Sony choose to go the way they did and as hard as they did? The two issues are inseperable.

Ultimately they have both been forced to go this way because of consumer pressure, which is no bad thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

It's all right, Orth. You don't work for Microsoft anymore. You don't need to follow the company line.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SlashDance

http://i.minus.com/ibkXzKGEhR6OPs.gif

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By tourgen

@darknessmyoldfriend: nope. The vocal majority who were not pre-ordering. Cash talks baby. You are the minority.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know "capitalism" was now called "vocal minority".

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck you and fuck Gamestop, I did this for me and my local shops.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Xbone hasn't lost any feature because all that shit was DRM, you were stupid enough to fall for their PR bullcrap, trying to sell Always Online as a feature, everything MS used as an excuse for the 24hour check, Sony was offering without this requirement,

For me it doesn't change anything, DRM was never a big issue, the real problem still persists, the Xbox One is an underpowered piece of crap.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

We were going to have a console more like Steam, but then the internet had to go & complain. Thanks internet.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

troll harder please

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By Hailinel

We were going to have a console more like Steam, but then the internet had to go & complain. Thanks internet.

I'd gladly not have that in exchange for also not having a console that is an anti-consumer nightmare of DRM policies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This is hilarious. You do realize they said all games will still be available online day one right? You can live in the future now, it's just optional. Anyway still buying PS4 because it's cheaper.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, guy!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Yes, MS's digital trading bullshit and other features were clearly the most exciting things about the coming generation. I mean, the upgrades in hardware are obviously just miniscule at best, so why even bother? Games aren't changing at all, man!

Cry me a fucking river.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really care one way or the other but the Xbox One has a disc drive; does that make Microsoft archaic? And if you don't want discs you can still buy digital.

What's the problem?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I think the changes are for the best, I too am disappointing in some ways. I was looking forward to seeing how their ecosystem would work out, and the family sharing plan was a genuinely cool idea that I'm sad to see leave.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By ZombiePie

This thread has become a hornets nest of inflammatory and aggressive behavior, which is not allowed on Giant Bomb. As such this thread is being locked.

PHenry1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PHenry1991

@darknessmyoldfriend: I like my Xbox. But this-- Everything Microsoft was going to do-- was wrong. They didn't give a clear benefit to all their DRM policies and whatnot. They just said that this is the way it's going to be and you, as a consumer, are to going to fucking like it. Did I want the benefits of the installed games, and the online sharing between friends? Yeah. It sounded great. The 24-hour check-ins and ill-defined ownership of games? Not so much. I like owning my stuff, and Microsoft didn't provide any indication that all the shit they were pulling would be beneficial in the long run. I'm still not buying an Xbox one right away. Sony is more affordable and PS + offers way more benefits. But down the road, when Titanfall is out? I might pick it up. Definitely when Halo comes out. We had every right to complain, and direct our opinions at Microsoft. They needed to know how badly they screwed up with this. And look, there is less anti-consumerism in the box. Now if only we could get rid of Kinect.....(Just kidding, I want it so I can play Fantasia.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.