Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 18, 2010

Yakuza 4 is the fourth game in Sega's crime drama series, known as 'Ryu ga Gotoku' in Japan. As a first for the series, the story is split between the viewpoints of four different protagonists.

Yakuza 4 Ign video Review

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Some people were abit upset about Ign's review for this game.But here's the vid share your thoughts about the review.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Considering how small the audience is for this game, not sure why he's expecting it to look cutting edge. I guess if the game is priced the same as the high budget titles, its a fair thing to point out.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Seems like a review to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @ryanwho said:
    " Considering how small the audience is for this game, not sure why he's expecting it to look cutting edge. I guess if the game is priced the same as the high budget titles, its a fair thing to point out. "
    the audience is considerably larger in Japan, however.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Okay I agree, the Yakuza games are horribly dated, the reviewer has a point. He clearly wants to like it, but I can understand his issues with it. 

Me? An outdated Yakuza game is EXACTLY what I want. I don't know why, there's something refreshing about it's shittiness. 

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

it looks bad but from what ive heard the gameplay is what holds it all together, as for the angry mob just look at dragon age, its always a minority making a big stink

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By jacdg

I think I'll invest in Yakuza 3 instead, it's really really cheap and it looks quite interesting to me, and I'm not one of those guys who loves everything Asian.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nekroskop

Yakuza 4 does improve significantly over the faults of 3. Sega even kept all the content(save for that Japan Quiz mini-game) this time. So far I'm loving it. 
    IGN also gave God Hand(one of the best brawlers in years) for the PS2 a 2.2 

EDIT: 
    The reason why it's dated is because it came out in March 2010 in Japan. Of course the visuals don't look on par with 2011 game(well, save for Dragon Age 2, which doesn't look that great to be honest) 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By aurahack

Lucky for me, I stopped caring about what IGN had to say about games years ago. Yakuza 4 seems to be, so far, an improvement upon everything in Yakuza 3. I can certainly see why someone would make the argument of it looking a little dated but I sincerely doubt that's an issue with you if you actually shelled out the money for it, considering it's niche audience. 

Ugh, not to mention Miller reviewed it. How does he still have the privilege to post articles. :/ 

@ahaisthisourchance said:

" IGN also gave God Hand(one of the best brawlers in years) for the PS2 a 2.2 "  

The worst! God Hand is one of the most underappreciated games to ever be released. So ridiculous and so much fun.
    ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ohjtbehaaave

I played the PS3 demo and enjoyed the fighting.  I think fans of Yakuza pretty much know what to expect going in.  We know the formula.  At least Y4 included what 3 didn't.  It's kind of like those already complaining about Zelda SS.  It's a formula people absolutley love.  The same people complaining it feels dated... would be the same people complaining they ruined the game by changing the formula.  I'm definitley checking out Yakuza 4.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShadowKing7

This reminds me that I really need to finish Yakuza 3.  I was enjoying all the stuff you could do in it but put it on the backburner for some reason.
    oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oysteinBrenne

that review was fucking terrible IMO

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mutha3

I'm very fond of Yakuza, but everything the dude said in that review is legit. Don't see why people can be upset about that.

@JacDG

said:

" I think I'll invest in Yakuza 3 instead, it's really really cheap and it looks quite interesting to me, and I'm not one of those guys who loves everything Asian. "

I think Yakuza 3 has the biggest pacing issues in the series.

I haven't played 4 yet, but from what I've heard from people I can trust, its a lot less monotonous than 3.

EDIT: Yeah, I guess the open-world complaints is pretty stupid. Yakuza=/=GTA knockoff
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vidiot

Another bizarre IGN review. Granted, last time I visited the site was after the Dead Space 2 review. I find it a bit depressing that my only real form of interaction with IGN these days, are people linking and complaining about their reviews on other websites. 

There are certain parts of this review that I can agree with:

• There are still issues regarding the combat that has plagued the series since inception.
    • Way-point's would be nice, and it's kinda silly that they still haven't been included.

At the same-time, regarding the last point of interest at least, the game world of Yakuza is not a sprawling several-mile long location. It's more of a nit-pick, and not having them doesn't dramatically detract from the experience. 

Also, I almost turned the review off when he made an analogy to GTA. 
    For the last time: Yakuza is not the "Japanese GTA". Open-world design is not exclusive to the GTA series. This franchise is built by people who's previous resume's include the Shenmue series, a franchise you would never equate in absolute terms with GTA, in terms of mechanics and design. 

Instead this review sounds like someone burned-out by the franchise. Strange, considering the haphazard release of these titles. He goes on saying that the game's story is too "convoluted", as if Yakuza 3's plot of a splinter-rouge CIA cell that that want's to run a gun smuggling operation via a land-grab wasn't. At the same time, he praises several aspects of the game's story, even calling out specific scenes. 
    I'm happy IGN apparently has no policy regarding showing spoilers.

No mention of the re-added content. No mention that this was a game released a year ago. No mention regarding the dynamics between the four different protagonists and how they fight, if it truly has an impact on the game over-all. Yeah, kinda disappointing review: From a review standpoint.  

What's for certain, (and this is something you should have been able to figure out for yourself) is that for better or worse, this title is defiantly more expansion focused instead of refinement. If you liked Yakuza 3, good chance you're going to enjoy Yakuza 4.
    I'm guessing the review scores for this game are going to be all over-the-place.
    dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dabe

Hardly surprising review, generic and non-specific video waffle.

As previously stated, comparing it to GTA is farcical, as is omitting mention of it's Shenmue inspired roots instead. Also, the combat is pretty sickly, but the waypoint/map system is fine. The kamuro-cho area is so small/well proportioned that you can pretty much memorise it after the first couple of hours, unlike a bigger GTA or Just Cause-esque land mass.

Anyways, hopefully Yakuza 4 features some Orphanage action, otherwise I'll be mildly dissapointed.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By drac96
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Okay I agree, the Yakuza games are horribly dated, the reviewer has a point. He clearly wants to like it, but I can understand his issues with it.  Me? An outdated Yakuza game is EXACTLY what I want. I don't know why, there's something refreshing about it's shittiness.  "  
    This is exactly how I feel. My copy can't come soon enough.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hourai

He puts the game down and complains for the entire review, yet it still ends up getting a 6.5. 

lol modern review scores

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ttocs

He really goes on about the graphics.  Is that all that a game is nowadays?

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the guy's voice

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingzetta

I don't think it looks bad.
    I have also been playing Yakuza games for like 5 years.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ttocs
    @kingzetta said:
    " I don't think it looks bad. I have also been playing Yakuza games for like 5 years. "
    The graphics aren't bad, they just aren't that great.  They are a little dated, but no big deal.  The game more than makes up for it in story and depth.  But for whatever reason, he's so stuck on the graphics in the review.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

The review does make some reasonable criticisms, and I've been thinking for a while that it all looks to be Yakuza 3.5. It's is a damn shame for how the series keeps perpetrating its faults. This guy is still a pretty terrible reviewer, on the writing side of things, and realising it's the same guy who done that atrocious Dead Space 2 review, it's difficult to take very little of what he says seriously. I'm sure he'd like it a lot more if he could PIMP OUT his weapons.

Certainly can't wait for my copy to arrive in any case!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm sure people who play the series will expect what to get in another Yakuza games so reviews seem almost necessary. I can see why some people may not like it but it's got a certain personality and quirkiness to it that really appeals to me. They just don't make games like this anymore. Maybe for good reason but I still hella enjoy the series.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

See Yakuza games are games I think I'd really like because of the cool open world aspect it has. I've played 3 briefly and while I liked what I was seeing I can definitely see it as becoming old very, very fast. 

Haven't played 4, but I knew that 3 felt horribly dated at the time.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Miketakon

Greg Miller is a dingus.  Every negative in Yakuza can be said about SvR. But that doesn't stop him from giving that a good score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShadowKing7 said:
    " This reminds me that I really need to finish Yakuza 3.  I was enjoying all the stuff you could do in it but put it on the backburner for some reason. "
    Same. Only about half way through 3 and 4 just arrived yesterday.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nasar7

So basically, more Yakuza? Sign me up!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By falserelic

I got Yakuza 4 a few days ago.It doe's feel like Yakuza 3.5.But the game is pretty damn fun so far.There's lots of stuff to do,the combat is fun and the story is interesting.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Devil240Z

Ugh Greg Miller. I love you but. Dude its a fangame it cant be perfect. its for the fans. 

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sarkhan
    @XII_Sniper said:
    "

Okay I agree, the Yakuza games are horribly dated, the reviewer has a point. He clearly wants to like it, but I can understand his issues with it.  Me? An outdated Yakuza game is EXACTLY what I want. I don't know why, there's something refreshing about it's shittiness. 

"

Agree:) It's a sure buy for me.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chop

Huh...strange opinion. The same guy gave 3 a much better score but pretty much every Yakuza fan agrees that 4 just blows three out of the water in every way...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    Am I the only one who thinks the graphics actually look pretty good?
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By keyhunter

I don't like it, but it's good, but I don't like it. Blap blap blap

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chop
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" Am I the only one who thinks the graphics actually look pretty good? "

The story relevant characters and the hostesses look great, the city is fine, but the random npcs look like ps2 quality. The graphics aren't as terrible as some would lead you to believe but there are strange inconsistencies with them. 
    norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By norton123

I've never played a Yakuza title, so I can't criticize too heavily. Dude's voice is off putting though. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingzetta
    @ttocs said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " I don't think it looks bad. I have also been playing Yakuza games for like 5 years. "
    The graphics aren't bad, they just aren't that great.  They are a little dated, but no big deal.  The game more than makes up for it in story and depth.  But for whatever reason, he's so stuck on the graphics in the review. "
    Well the reason it looks dated is because it is. This game came out a year ago in japan and Yakuza 3 came out 2 years ago.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60

I've never played a Yakuza game in my life. Would this be worth getting?

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ttocs
    @kingzetta said:
    " @ttocs said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    The graphics aren't bad, they just aren't that great.  They are a little dated, but no big deal.  The game more than makes up for it in story and depth.  But for whatever reason, he's so stuck on the graphics in the review. "
    Well the reason it looks dated is because it is. This game came out a year ago in japan and Yakuza 3 came out 2 years ago. "
    True, but even then it looked dated.  It's no big deal.  The cutscenes are actually good enough and I never found myself complaining about any graphical issues.  The game is solid.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OneManX

It just seems like someone who wants a bit more out of the game.  

But I'd rather hear someones opinion who has never played yakuza and just see how they react to it, and that is the vibe I'm getting from  this review. Wants to like it, but something can be modernized and raised to this gens standards. yes it's not GTA, but it wouldn't hurt to use some of the mechanics that GTA had.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoLines

Gamespot's Yakuza 4 review is kinda nice.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By animateria

I don't understand the whole "this is for niche fans anyways so the points are moot" argument some comments have. 

A big site like IGN doesn't cater to small niche fans and the review should keep in mind the general audience. 

And the only GTA complaint was the way point option. Which I think is totally valid.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HydraHam
    @ryanwho said:
    " Considering how small the audience is for this game, not sure why he's expecting it to look cutting edge. I guess if the game is priced the same as the high budget titles, its a fair thing to point out. "
    The fact that people are so upset is that greg was "sick" and rushed through the game to meet a deadline.

One of the many reasons i dislike IGN. I could care less what a game gets review wise but if you aren't 100% focused on the game or can't take the time you need to fully review the game  you have no business reviewing it.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic

for some reason after watching that, im gonna pass on my Yakuza 4 purchase o_o

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Bouke

If his complaint is that its a lot like the third game, i'm happy to give it a try... i haven't played any of the other games so i should be good on that front.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.