Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 20, 2007

Jump into the shoes of a genetically-enhanced operative of the Agency and fight off criminal organizations alone or with a friend in Crackdown, an open-world sandbox game for the Xbox 360.

New Crackdown Coming? Please?

• 96 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Some things will never get old. This is one of them.
    I was busy not-listening to Xbox spokesman Major Nelson's latest podcast over the weekend, but luckily Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft is more diligent than me. He caught this exchange between the good Major (a.k.a. Larry Hryb) and head of Microsoft Game Studios, Phil Spencer, about the possibility of a second Crackdown game, a possibility that gets me at least a little hot and bothered. Quoth Kotaku:

In a recent Major Nelson podcast, Xbox Live’s director of programming, Larry Hryb said, "I'm here to tell you on behalf of the community, I want -- we need -- another Crackdown... That’s all I'm going to say, so you don’t have to confirm or deny anything. I'm just saying we want it."

To which Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer replied, "Yes, Crackdown's one of my favorites. I'll leave it at that."

The story points out the first Crackdown sold 1.5 million--far more than I realized, though a large percentage of that was surely aided by the inclusion of the Halo 3 multiplayer beta. But it shouldn't have been, because Crackdown is awesome on its own merits! Leaping over a tall building and punching a dude into the sky...well, doesn't that concept sell itself?

I'm not sure what original developer Realtime Worlds' availability is looking like, since they're still finishing up their new multiplayer version of All Points Bulletin. For whoever might make this potential sequel, here's a list we just conjured of things that need to improve.

• Better driving. Driving wasn't great in the first game, and it became irrelevant as soon as you got the ability to climb up and jump over buildings more quickly. Give us a reason to want to drive.
    • Come up with a storyline. The paper-thin narrative in the first game wasn't enough to keep me going on its own, and it missed some obvious opportunities for drama. Some kind of story context between missions would help flesh out the world.
    • More activities. Let's get something else to do in between tracking down and killing all the crime bosses. Collecting agility orbs was a good start, but not enough on its own.
    • Make the boss fights more distinctive. Give the bosses more distinctive arenas and abilities so you don't feel like you're killing the same character two dozen times in a row.

Crackdown got a ton of things right the first time around, so with a few improvements like these, the sequel could be truly great.

What would you do to make a better Crackdown?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    I was busy not-listening to Xbox spokesman Major Nelson's latest podcast over the weekend, but luckily Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft is more diligent than me. He caught this exchange between the good Major (a.k.a. Larry Hryb) and head of Microsoft Game Studios, Phil Spencer, about the possibility of a second Crackdown game, a possibility that gets me at least a little hot and bothered. Quoth Kotaku:

In a recent Major Nelson podcast, Xbox Live’s director of programming, Larry Hryb said, "I'm here to tell you on behalf of the community, I want -- we need -- another Crackdown... That’s all I'm going to say, so you don’t have to confirm or deny anything. I'm just saying we want it."

To which Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer replied, "Yes, Crackdown's one of my favorites. I'll leave it at that."

The story points out the first Crackdown sold 1.5 million--far more than I realized, though a large percentage of that was surely aided by the inclusion of the Halo 3 multiplayer beta. But it shouldn't have been, because Crackdown is awesome on its own merits! Leaping over a tall building and punching a dude into the sky...well, doesn't that concept sell itself?

I'm not sure what original developer Realtime Worlds' availability is looking like, since they're still finishing up their new multiplayer version of All Points Bulletin. For whoever might make this potential sequel, here's a list we just conjured of things that need to improve.

• Better driving. Driving wasn't great in the first game, and it became irrelevant as soon as you got the ability to climb up and jump over buildings more quickly. Give us a reason to want to drive.
    • Come up with a storyline. The paper-thin narrative in the first game wasn't enough to keep me going on its own, and it missed some obvious opportunities for drama. Some kind of story context between missions would help flesh out the world.
    • More activities. Let's get something else to do in between tracking down and killing all the crime bosses. Collecting agility orbs was a good start, but not enough on its own.
    • Make the boss fights more distinctive. Give the bosses more distinctive arenas and abilities so you don't feel like you're killing the same character two dozen times in a row.

Crackdown got a ton of things right the first time around, so with a few improvements like these, the sequel could be truly great.

What would you do to make a better Crackdown?
    Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Demokk

I only played the demo of Crackdown. I liked it but I didn't really think of it as a must buy.

I'll probably buy this one if it turns out even better.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By ManMadeGod

God, I loved Crackdown. I kinda wish they put out more DLC for the first one.
    As for what to add in the second one - just more stuff to blow up. Yea, a story line would be nice, but blowing up entire buildings would be even better. And how about some 4 player co-op?

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By floodiastus

How about SYSTEMLINK ? :) It wasnt even in the first game, my god.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I LOVED crackdown. I hope to god they make a new one.

Haimster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Haimster
    MasterTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MasterTom

Crackdown almost made me buy a 360...

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By Cirdain

Crackdown provide me almost endless fun.

Hammersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hammersmith

Please take a few days to actually design some nice menus this time. Those generic blue ones were hideous. Also, more splosions.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Death_Burnout

Crackdown 2? i want i want i want! i couldnt agree more with the points on whats needed to make it better.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RawShark

Oh lawd, YES. Please, please, please, if there's any justice in the industry, let this be made. Preferably by Realtime Worlds.

Okay, I'd:

• Have some proper environmental destruction. Like, crumbling buildings and stuff.
    • Similarly superhuman enemies. A battle between an agent and a similarly superpowered goon in the middle of the city would be Godzilla-epic. Trading punches that make the ground shake, throwing each other off of skyscrapers and then jumping down after each other... oh lawd. I remember playing co-op, knocking my friend off a building with a rocket launcher, and then jumping down in pursuit, and ground-slamming them in mid-air. Didn't actually do much, but it looked epic.
    • Car pursuits. Like, being chased by gang members down a motorway, or in turn, chasing a gang leader who's escaped to a vehicle. Being able to shoot out of windows a la GTA would also help.
    • More close combat abilities. Like, being able to do something other than a roundhouse kick =/
    • An agency vehicle being able to transform into a Decepticon when you reach the final driving level. Maybe that's a bit too far.
    BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BinaryDragon

Anime Boobs....

Or like better driving I suppose. The driving sucked.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By TomA

Crackdown was pretty fun,but the guy who gave you tips through your speakers i hated!!!!!!!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MasterSplinter

I still haven't played Crackdown... please don't hurt me.  =(

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Pkshields

Crackdown was awesome. We need another. Leave it at that and give it to us STAT!

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Double0hFor

make it longer? and ye 4 player would be so sweet

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I liked Crackdown, but it definitely needs more meat on its bones.  A longer story would go a great ways towards doing that, but also a boatload of activities would be satisfying too.  Play up the human modification thing, too.  Perhaps some crazy new mutations?

Vehicular combat would be a definite plus, as would planes and aerial vehicles.  I'd love to be able to skydive out of a plane, hit the top of a building, and jump off immediately again to land on another aerial vehicle.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bear

Dude, we totally need another Crackdown. Crackdown 2 should increase the areas in which a vehicle would be useful and a stunt postion mechanic like Just Cause.

For example, go off a ramp in which you leap the wall of an enemy fortress. Then have a Just Cause stunt position mechanic where you go on top of the car and can jump off of it whenever you please. So, go off ramp; jump on top of car in mid-air; jump off of the vehicle, pushing it downwards while crushing some dudes below you; land of the roof of the enemy base and take out leader.

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lepuke

Crackdown was a damn good game. Let's hope a sequel is not just a rumor.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

I hope it comes out for PS3

SubTact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SubTact

My utter enjoyment of Crackdown was a big reason why I didn't spend much time with GTA4 after I finished the main story.  When you're used to super human abilities, anything less in an Open World game now feels like the volume's turned down to me.

Prototype is one of my most anticipated games in 2009, unless it turns out to be completely disappointing, I definitely think it will contain more than a few lessons for the future developer of Crackdown 2.  I definitely think Prototype is a good candidate for everyone that would like a Crackdown sequel.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By spiceninja

I heard that too on the podcast last night and it got me all excited. I really loved Crackdown and I really want another one.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

I loved Crackdown and I think the platforming and shooting elements were great. But I do agree that the driving was underpar and I wish there was a better supply of weapons (or at least more variety). Also, make 4-player co-op and the same graphics style but more beefed-up to push the 360 while also keeping its cartoony style.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By logson

If a Crackdown 2 comes is officially announced, the competition between it and inFAMOUS will be something to watch for. Both will be exclusives for their respective systems, and both open-world "You're a badass, now go"-type games.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreggD

Um...Media_Master, Crackdown is an IP owned by Microsoft. Sorry.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By Aaron_G

I would love another Crackdown. I really enjoyed the first one.

Homestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Homestar

I bought it for the sake of the Halo 3 beta but I was suprirsed at what a fun game it turned out to be. It made for some fun co-op with friends.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
    deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many others, I bought the game for the Halo 3 Beta. Incidentally, I think Crackdown is more fun than Halo 2 and 3 combined.

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jonnyp

Crackdown was tons of fun.  All I wanted was better bosses, more agility orbs, and a bigger crazier city.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Psynapse

I have actually been playing crackdown recently, and its fairly good, the driving mechanics in it suck major arse, and your right... As soon as you get your agility high enough, its so much easier to just scale all of the buildings. I'd deffinitly buy it if it came out!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By JoelTGM

I bought it for the Halo 3 beta, but I ended up enjoying the game.  It takes a while for the fun to start though, that's something I would like to see improved.  The other day my friend tried it, and he didn't have much fun because he didn't have 10 hours to collect all the orbs so he could actually climb buildings and aim weapons properly.

Split screen coop is another thing.  You could do online coop, but no splitscreen.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By PLWolf

Media_Master, look into Infamous. ;-)

I would definitely love another Crackdown. But this time around make the Agent a lone wolf with other agents attempting to take you out as you try to bring down the establishment, and the gangs who have once again formed up with new leaders

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Rio

loved crackdown, would love to see another one.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Manks

I would love a Crackdown sequel.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking

What Crackdown did right was just let you do whatever you want.  Games like GTA and Saints Row say they do things like this but really none of them allow you to go from the press start screen to walk straight up to the final boss and kill him, granted this is easier said than done, but it is possible.  Really all they do in Crackdown is put you in a world and say these guys should die.  The rest is really up to you and the fact that you become an insane super hero really helps for some crazy stuff.  I'd like to see more physics related things, maybe being able to build things out of debris and items.  You could stack dumpsters and garbage in the first game but it was kind of a chore to make anything cool.  Flying vehicles are a must, boats would be nice.  Like you said Brad more of a reason to want to drive.

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By packfan104l4

We want a PS3 version!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I had a great time with the game and would definitely like to see a sequel. It certainly has room for improvement, like the driving, as you mentioned. I actually almost never used vehicles in the game. Most of the civilian cars were pretty lame, and the only vehicles of any real interest were your special cars located at your HQ at the center of the map. The game needed an ability to make these cars spawn near you or have someone bring it to you like in Scarface: The World Is Yours. With jumping be so much fun, I hardly ever felt the need to use a car. Plus, you know, they could end up getting destroyed, and if you leave your car for a moment, like to pick up a few nearby agility orbs, you're going to have to go back and track down where you left your car, or warp all the way back to the center of the map. It wasn't very ideal. Also, I definitely think the gunplay needs to be reworked. Basically it involved locking onto a person, holding it for a whole second, at which point the reticule tightened around the guy and you pretty much had the accuracy of a sniper rifle with any weapon. That's kinda lame. I also felt that throwing objects at dudes just didn't work as well as it should have. Plus I agree with the other stuff you mentioned. Better story, more interesting characters, more stuff to do, etc.

Oh, and dude, how about some progression achievements for collecting orbs. Don't make it so I need to get EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM to get an achievement. Maybe go more along the line of Gears of War and get an achievement for collecting one-third, then two-thirds, then a fiinal achievement for collecting all of them. That would be appreciated. Anyway, I can't wait for the next one. Oh, and dude, boats and planes and helicopters are a must. Also, try to reduce the late pop-in problem. I would very regularly see people driving "invisible cars", where there car had no loaded yet but the people were still driving them. They would pop in so late you could even hijack the cars and be driving them around for a while before the car would finally appear.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Systech

I could go for another Crackdown. I played so much of that game on the day I bought it. Played it from about 3PM on a Saturday and stopped at about 7AM the next day (16 hours straight, son).

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By TOYBOXX

A top-notch story would be the first thing Realtime Worlds needs to do. As of now there isn't a story for Crackdown. It's all about eliminating targets with forgettable backstory's. What made the game so special, however,  was it's gameplay, especially with another friend through online co-op, that was so much fun!

What Crackdown needs to pump life back into the game, and this is just a thought for the sequel, would be online mulitplayer, or 4 player online co-op. Mission based objectives would be a blast! More so than GTA IV online.

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Raiden36O

Am i the only one who thought this game wasnt that great? i mean it had some cool ideas and co-op was good, but with a non-existent story, repetitive missions, and nothing substantial to do except collect glowing orbs; i got sick of kicking cars and jumping over high things pretty quickly.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jayge_

I would consider sucking a dick for a huge new Crackdown game.

That is how much I love CRACKdown.

Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Mexalen

I totally loved Crackdown as it was. I think if you add to many new ideas, activities and tasks it might destroy the game. 

Yeah, driving was rather boring, but I think thats just the point of the game. If you can jump over most houses and climb these towers - cars are useless. I bet thats what they wanted to prove :)

A more tense storyline would be great. Crackdown on drama ...that sounds pretty awesome.
    Just don't make it to much like GTA IV, I have the feeling that every open-world-game thinks it has to be like GTA. While GTA IV was a great game, it's not the single best gaming concept to copy!
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jayge_
    Mexalen said:
    "I totally loved Crackdown as it was. I think if you add to many new ideas, activities and tasks it might destroy the game. 
    Yeah, driving was rather boring, but I think thats just the point of the game. If you can jump over most houses and climb these towers - cars are useless. I bet thats what they wanted to prove :)

A more tense storyline would be great. Crackdown on drama ...that sounds pretty awesome.
    Just don't make it to much like GTA IV, I have the feeling that every open-world-game thinks it has to be like GTA. While GTA IV was a great game, it's not the single best gaming concept to copy!
    "
    I don't think a more tight storyline is necessary at all. The open, loose shit that went on was a huge part of what made the game so cool and fun to dick around in. "Hey, we don't like these people. Blow them all up with super-powers." That's the essence of most games, but Crackdown distilled that and added some fun progression, jumping, and co-op.
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cubical

I hated crackdown and the fact it came with a lame annoying hiphop sound track did not help me like it.

Do not want.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crunchUK

wtf lol i loved driving. in a 4 star agency  SUV you could drive up walls and launch yourself halfway across the entire map

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Unreal_dro

One of my fav games this gen.

Hope real time worlds gets on Crackdown2 after theyre done with APB
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crunchUK
    Jayge said:
    "Mexalen said:
    "I totally loved Crackdown as it was. I think if you add to many new ideas, activities and tasks it might destroy the game. 

"
    I don't think a more tight storyline is necessary at all. The open, loose shit that went on was a huge part of what made the game so cool and fun to dick around in. "Hey, we don't like these people. Blow them all up with super-powers." That's the essence of most games, but Crackdown distilled that and added some fun progression, jumping, and co-op."
    yeah i think having a whole load of complexity would ruin the whole  "press start to blow people up" that makes crackdown so great
    PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PJ
    albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By albedos_shadow

Ohgodpleaseletthisberealiwouldkillforthisgame!!!!!!

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#50  Edited By dsplayer1010

Crackdown was fun, but I wouldn't exactly be upset if there isn't a sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.