Giant Bomb Roku app.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@epiphyte: I've been having the same problems, using a Roku 3. I've also seen some videos that have just stopped midway through. So far this has only happened on very long videos, so testing to see if it happens at the same place is pretty tricky since I can't fast forward.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By albedos_shadow

Having the exact same problem, on a newer model Roku Stick. Uninstalling and reinstalling worked for a while last night, but it just started up again.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same. I can't fast forward the videos at all without it stopping :(

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epiphyte: I have an original Roku 3 and it's happening to me too. I hope this gets fixed soon!

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've a similar issue using gb video buddy app, I wonder if they are related?

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issue on both a Roku 2 & Roku 3 private & regular app. I've tried both wifi & wired and cant resume (or play the Fog of Warhammer video at all). If I start a video at begining and try to fast forward a few minutes, it just kicks me back out to the Resume/Play from beginning page.

evilspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one3eight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here.

Justin85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Justin85

Yep. Same. Weird.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Griffinmills

Anything related to downloading or watching via api is still borked in the same way. If you start a video fresh it seems fine but it may crap out and good luck getting a stable resume. Anyone seen any communication from staff or any Top Men on this issue?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MakoTitan

Still busted for me. This issue has been going on for 2 days now and can't watch anything. :(

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately the user base for the Roku app and similar devices is pretty small, so I'd be pretty surprised if Top Men start to seriously look at this until after E3.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... though, looking at what's actually been posted since these new issues came up, paging @rorie and @edgework and @frobie might help.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It looks like there might be some kind of problem with our Akamai hosting for some of the video files. We're looking into it but I don't have a good idea of when this might get resolved - apologies for the trouble!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue has been resolved for me. Thank you Giantbomb team.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, also working fine here now. Thanks!

Epiphyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Working for me as well

Thanks for looking into it duders,especially with how busy GB must be with E3 prep

evilspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Working here as well on the Kodi app

PatboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else having trouble streaming from Roku app today? The videos sit at loading for a bit and then I'm dropped back to the video preview screen.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patboyx: I just saw your post and checked a couple videos. They both loaded up with no problem on my old Roku 3.

PatboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just booted the Roku 3 back up and now it is working for me, too.

Not really sure what was going on earlier today - I'm sure I broke something.

Thanks for the update.

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

Another problem with the most recent 8/5/2016 UPF. The video loads, plays for about a minute, then closes. Roku 3, latest version

PezBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummey: I am having that same issue with that video, as well as todays bombcast video. Just dumps back to the resume screen at 10 min in.

Superbagman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since the last VinnyVania finale most premium videos stop playing between 5-10 minutes into the video and dump back to the app menu. Not a single video bombcast has worked. Very frustrating.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

The Hot Thursday stream archive cuts out at 45 minutes. Roku 3, latest version

Superbagman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, Hot Thursday cuts out at 45 mins.

ebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found that if you start the video over and fast forward past the time where it cuts out, you can still watch the rest of the video. There don't seem to be multiple times at which it cuts out, at least in the videos I've watched.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ebk said:

I've found that if you start the video over and fast forward past the time where it cuts out, you can still watch the rest of the video. There don't seem to be multiple times at which it cuts out, at least in the videos I've watched.

That doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

pickupthepurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fast forwarding solution does not work for me as well. Hoping for some official word on a real fix soon.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Latest Bombcast video (443) non-premium version dies at the 44 minute mark or so. Premium version does seem to be working, at least at this point.

Starting to think that I'm not going to be picking up premium again, since I really prefer watching on my tv. The number of videos that don't work has gotten too high for me to be paying for this.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

@highpriest said:

Starting to think that I'm not going to be picking up premium again, since I really prefer watching on my tv. The number of videos that don't work has gotten too high for me to be paying for this.

I'm nearing that point as well. As much as I like the site and the people running it, I can't justify the expense if it simply doesn't work one quarter of the time. Granted, Roku on its own is janky at best, and the Giant Bomb channel is a low priority, but it's the only way I watch the videos. :|

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pickupthepurse: @superbagman: @pezboy: @bummey: I don't have a Roku to test this on, but I think this might be due to an issue with our video encoder or processor spitting out downloadable video versions that are not complete. If you can keep letting me know in this thread which videos you watch that cut off, along with the rough time estimate where that occurs, I can try to download a bunch of them this weekend and see if I can replicate the problem. Sorry for the trouble!

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Our office Roku is old as dirt and doesn't really work anymore. I just ordered a new one, so we'll get that fixed as soon as it comes in!

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see a lot of similar "can't watch more than the first few minutes of a video" issues, but in case any details I can provide help:

Pretty much all of the video Bombcasts* will play the first few minutes (potentially, double digits worth) for me, and then stop and refuse to play past that point. Around the time this started happening**, a few other videos also started doing this, too, but only a few- mostly, I can still watch Quick Looks, Unfinisheds, ALT-F1, etc- but never the Bombcasts and occasionally not other videos as well. So, if there's anything about how you process the video Bombcasts vs other content, that might be the cause.

Roku 3, here.

* I watch the Premium versions, although I'm 80% sure I tried switching to the non-Premium version after having this issue and encountered the same problem.

** Which I believe was the first video Bombcast, although again I'm only 80% sure; might have been the second.

stingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same experience with my Roku 3. I was able to watch the very first video Bombcast (though I think I forwarded past the crash point and was able to continue), but all of the others have stopped - some 10 minutes in, others 37 or 41 minutes in. I'm hoping this can be fixed as I enjoy watching the 'cast on the big screen. Thanks to all who are working on the problem.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@stingo: @delor: our new roku has arrived and top men are on the case, stay tuned

stingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle said:

@stingo: @delor: our new roku has arrived and top men are on the case, stay tuned

Thanks! (Though I can't help but remember "top men" from Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jorbit

@delor: I have this issue too, but I've found that you can generally fast-forward past the point in the video where it keeps crashing and continue it there. So if it crashes at the same spot, try fast-forwarding a minute or two past that.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, it looks like our ability to work on Roku is going to be affected by the fact that the channel is still registered to a whiskeymedia address which none of us have access to. We're trying to figure out what the Roku people need in order to transfer it to us, but it might take a little time. Sorry for the hassle.

AntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've tested a few scenarios, and if you start a video over and fast forward past the point at which it cuts off, it allows you to watch more of the video. If you try to just resume after it cuts off, it will not work. I did this on the newest UPF.

turpskadey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By turpskadey

i am having a different problem where sometimes the app plays videos just fine and then randomly some videos will STOP abruptly and REFUSE to play beyond that point, they just cut off as if the video is over.

and i didn't realize this thread is 10 months old. Should I start a new thread?

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

@antihero said:

So I've tested a few scenarios, and if you start a video over and fast forward past the point at which it cuts off, it allows you to watch more of the video. If you try to just resume after it cuts off, it will not work. I did this on the newest UPF.

This doesn't work for me.

--

Unprofessional Fridays 8/26/2016 stops at the 4 minute mark, right after Kessler says "I guess you could it was very... unprofessional."

Roku 3 4200X, software version 7.2.0

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummey said:

@antihero said:

This doesn't work for me.

--

Unprofessional Fridays 8/26/2016 stops at the 4 minute mark, right after Kessler says "I guess you could it was very... unprofessional."

Roku 3 4200X, software version 7.2.0

Does the same for me... (on my Roku 4 - I should test the stick in the other room tonight)...

I can fast forward past the stop and watch the rest of UPF just fine...

Though I find the stop point somehow... appropriate.

Hardtarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

aha I've been wondering! I'm also getting the "videos just close to black after a couple minutes" issue lately

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I've tried that and haven't had any luck with the technique.

I'll give it another shot if I watch any tomorrow night, though. Maybe it works for some videos or I wasn't skipping far enough forward or something.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delor: Someone else mentioned that you also might need to completely restart the video stream before you skip ahead.

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I'll give that a shot. I've definitely both tried starting from the beginning and skipping past, but I'm not sure if I tried them in that order. Thanks!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unprofessional friday with Dave and Matt won't play past about 5 minutes in.

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

Now to see if it keeps going or if I'm going to have to keep doing this every 5-40 minutes...