Giant Bomb Roku app.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By DeathTrap

Tried deleting and reinstalling the channel - no good. Crashes on load on my new Roku Ultra.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Been wanting to hop back on the premium train but my Roku is my preferred way of watching premium vids so any updates? I tried the beta channel but Im getting the audio distortion other people have mentioned.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried deleting and reinstalling the channel - no good. Crashes on load on my new Roku Ultra.

I had to un-plug my Roku for a few minutes and then plug it back in and it worked. I'm using a Roku 3 though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#354  Edited By rorie

I believe the engineer responsible for this is putting some time into it this week. Hopefully we can get something up and running with the new SDK soon but I don't have a super-accurate timeframe on that now.

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else notice hot audio when watching via Roku? I checked the audio on my computer and it sounds fine. This weeks bombast Rorie is breaking up so much is hard to hear him.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waronhugs: Yes it looks like this is pretty common with the "beta" channel. Before that I didn't notice it, but seems to be on all recent videos. Very odd.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By DeathTrap

@carboot_soul: @waronhugs:

I think it's a problem with the High quality videos. Casting High quality videos from my iPad to my Roku has the same audio issue, but not when I use HD quality.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried deleting and reinstalling, current live GiantBomb channel still doesn't work on Roku. Crashes on launch.

d0m3l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

same here on TLC Roku TV

CapwnD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried unplugging the Roku, tried deleting and redownloading, still not working with Roku 4

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problems with the beta channel on my Roku 3.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Any information about the new Roku channel or a fix for the current one? Preferably one that allows for HD videos instead of forcing the High quality ones, for those that have more recent Rokus?

climbedbritain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another sad person that can't watch GiantBomb in the bedroom, as is lovemaking tradition.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The channel no longer loads for me at all :(

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you guys using the beta app sticky'd at the top of the forum?

Jeff said on the Saturn stream the new app should be going through the approval process in the next couple weeks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Any information about the new Roku channel or a fix for the current one? Preferably one that allows for HD videos instead of forcing the High quality ones, for those that have more recent Rokus?

I would have to check with the engineer on that; been busy lately, sorry! But I believe work on it is wrapping up.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By DeathTrap

@bacon said:

Are you guys using the beta app sticky'd at the top of the forum?

Jeff said on the Saturn stream the new app should be going through the approval process in the next couple weeks.

Unfortunately, the beta app does not allow HD video - only High quality, as far as I'm aware. At that, I might as well just use YouTube and, for Premium stuff, stream from my iPad to my Roku.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

The new 2.0 channel works pretty well. Small... gripes? feedback!

It doesn't save position in videos like the web browser player or old channel. For several dumb reasons (including: stepped on the power strip's switch while going to fridge to refill my drink) I was interrupted during episode 15 of Yakuza, and had scan through the 2 hour+ video to find out exactly where I left off.

The default sorting for the video series is odd. Betting the Farmville and the old Video Reviews are higher on the list than active series like Unfinished and GBE Playdate. It takes 21 down button presses to reach Quick Looks. The Persona 4 Endurance Run only lists the first 23 episodes (edit: although it does on the website too. someone didn't finish populating that playlist).

A way to change the sorting scheme would be really helpful. Something like Recently updated, alphabetical, reverse alphabetical, premium first, etc. Maybe the asterisk options button could bring up a sidebar menu with more than just the pairing code; a better way to navigate the various video series, categories and subcategories, video search feature, etc.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Carboot_Soul

Agree with @bummey

I would also add that some of the show categories are missing such as no separate listing for UPF. I also noticed that the Quick Look category is listed twice. The final thing which would be great is if we could watch live premium streams on there, which I assume it doesn't do??

ozhenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The new app version is periodically giving me issues, however it seems to run smoothly for the most part.

Is there any way to search out old videos? Or is it completely impossible to watch content not presented within? It seems like I cant access old endurance run episodes and quick looks.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

@ozhenson said:

The new app version is periodically giving me issues, however it seems to run smoothly for the most part.

Is there any way to search out old videos? Or is it completely impossible to watch content not presented within? It seems like I cant access old endurance run episodes and quick looks.

There's no good way that I can see. I've been rewatching the P4 endurance run via youtube, which is also a really bad way to do it! Roku's youtube app is really bad! I have to start videos on my phone then hit the Watch on TV icon to make it start playing on the roku.

GoatKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By GoatKarma

Having probs with new beta app.. Worked fine last night, but won't load today, just crashes out whilst the loading spinner is up. The other (non beta) app doesn't load at all any more.

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By WarOnHugs

Non beta app doesn't load even after deleting both apps and redownloading. Beta app works after a redownload hopefully it keeps working.

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By Bacon

The beta all still works for me, but it's a bit unpolished.

There's 2 Quick look categories for example, and they're way at the bottom

msoven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new roku app is actually so broken that I had to convince the website that my IP address is not that of a bot on my other devices, and needless to say that the app no longer works on my roku since it doesn't give you that option. It sure seemed nice for the one hour or so for which it worked!

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, as of last night (5/18 , pm EST) the beta (? still beta, or now "approved"?) will only play non-premium videos. If I try to play a premium video the screen flashes quickly, but nothing plays and no error message. It was playing fine on 5/17, and doesn't seem to ask for an account login/premium verification. Que sera.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there anyway you can add a resume feature on the app? I am not going to sit through a 4 hour Mario Party video so Iwould like to come back later and resume like the old app.

MrCaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anyone's else having audio issues? I'm on a new Roku stick for reference, the audio isn't low quality but it'spretty choppy. The video looks good and isn't choppy, just the audio (on all videos)

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourbrain: Try pressing the star * key on your Roku remote. It brings up the Premium link interface. However once you have done that you probably need to reload the app to get the videos to play.

DippedPretzels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourbrain: Same thing happened to me on my Roku 3 today. I tried entering an activation code from the app, but the website said it was an invalid code. I then tried reinstalling the beta app, and now it just gets to the spinning circle, then boots me back to the Roku home screen.

I also had a "Are you human?" check when I visited the website today, but I'm not running a VPN.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for the trouble! Hopefully we'll be able to address some of these issues next week.

chriswacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the new look on the beta app. As someone who's currently going through the Roku channel approval process also using the new SDK, two tips:

1) If you don't implement resume for video > 15 minutes, they'll fail your channel

2) If you don't implement deep linking they'll fail your channel.

OhTheStatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh oh, having some major issues on my end.

The app on the ROKU store just won't work for me at all. Expected this to happen, though. I've been using the Beta app for ages now and had no problems until tonight. Version 2.0 (new layout, which honestly looks great) will not let me view any content. I've unlinked my account and relinked it multiple times. Sometimes it shows it's linked, other times it never "confirms" that I entered the code in on the page. This results in me not being sure if anything is linked or not. I've downloaded the Beta multiple times to no avail.

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's generally best practice to reboot after removing a channel and then try downloading again with Roku, but it's no guarantee.

Liesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Same thing here. I was getting blocked by the site as a robot for using the beta app. Then decided to delete and reinstall the prime app because I assumed that the site thought I was doing something nefarious via the beta. Now it just doesn't open at all :(

Am on a Roku 3.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryudo said:

Is there anyway you can add a resume feature on the app? I am not going to sit through a 4 hour Mario Party video so Iwould like to come back later and resume like the old app.

This is a real killer, and a loss of functionality over the previous channel.

Makes it impossible to keep up with any of the long-form video series.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#387  Edited By frobie  Staff
OhTheStatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie Hey, I have one of those Roku TV things where it's just built in. The issue sorted itself out, it seems (as I currently watch the VRodeo right now!)

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#389 frobie  Staff
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on a Sharp Roku TV and I've tried deleting the app and restarting, but nothing seems to work. The app immediately crashes after the GB logo on startup.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I took the advice someone else gave about doing a system restart and the app has been working fine so far. Is there no continue watching feature now? It was there in the beta but now with the new version I have to fast forward once I start a video again.

benguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@carboot_soul: can confirm this worked for me. Link your account and then reboot if you can't play premium videos for some reason.

anotherdoofus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By anotherdoofus

@zdgro: Had the same issue and I tried reinstalled and rebooting a ton of times. I think @liesmith is correct in that there's an IP block being triggered. I use Video Buddy as well and noticed it didn't work from my home, but works fine in my office. I forced my router to change IPs and now I can access via Roku and Video Buddy apps no problem again. I'd reach out to Rorie and see if there's an IP block in place for your IP.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using a Roku 2, the app doesn't launch. Reinstalling was a no-go.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New app loads but will not play videos. Itll flash for a second but no play back GGGRRRRRR

edit: just reinstalled and now it wont load at all

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

My Roku 3 with the newest channel and update is still working fine over here.

Roku 3 4200X

Software version 7.6.0 build 4125-04

jachin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummey said:

My Roku 3 with the newest channel and update is still working fine over here.

Roku 3 4200X

Software version 7.6.0 build 4125-04

My set up is exactly the same and the app will not even launch.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's try to use the other thread that we have for feedback on the new app rather than keep two at the same time. Thanks.