Giant Bomb Roku app.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiimmikecruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By hiimmikecruz

I can't get the app to load at all now.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#202 frobie  Staff

@hiimmikecruz Have you removed the old app and install the new version? When you start it, does it hang on the logo?

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Latest UPF won't start

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-12022016/2300-11745/

king3pj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By king3pj

Edit: This is resolved. I power cycled my Roku and everything seems to be back to normal.

I was getting the login bug too. That problem seems to have gone away after I logged in again tonight. Now I am getting a purple screen with a message that says "HDCP unauthorized. Content disabled." I can hear the audio but I get no picture. This is happening on all videos whether they are premium or not.

I know my Samsung TV definitely supports HDCP and I am not getting the HDCP errors from any other Roku app or my TiVo.

It looks like I have version 1.5 build 1 of the Giant Bomb Roku app.

ebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By ebk

The latest This is The Run video has the video playing in a juttery fashion and lagging behind the audio such that they become increasingly desynced on the Roku app. Tried it in a web browser where the video played fine. Other videos are working normally.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/this-is-the-run-contra-part-09/2300-11844/

EDIT: Getting the same with "Blue Bombin’: Mega Man 3 - Part 02" but not with "Unprofessional Fridays: 01/27/2017"

KhoiFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ebk said:

The latest This is The Run video has the video playing in a juttery fashion and lagging behind the audio such that they become increasingly desynced on the Roku app. Tried it in a web browser where the video played fine. Other videos are working normally.

EDIT: Getting the same with "Blue Bombin’: Mega Man 3 - Part 02" but not with "Unprofessional Fridays: 01/27/2017"

I am having the same problem as well.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes same here, it seems anything which was live since the 1080p video seems to have a problem. @rorie could you take a look?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yes same here, it seems anything which was live since the 1080p video seems to have a problem. @rorie could you take a look?

Hmm I can try but I don't think we will be able to do much until next week, unfortunately. Just let me know if it continues throughout the weekend, though.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

@ebk said:

+1

GBEast consistently puts out the most videos that don't play well with the roku, for whatever reason.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By SomeguyJohnson

@ebk said:

@rorie Had the same problem with my Roku, so I tried switching to a Chromecast. Problem still happened on the Chromecast until I switched the quality manually from HD to High, then it was fine. Couldn't test this on a Roku because it doesn't allow you to change off of Auto Quality.

DragonLordRyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By DragonLordRyu
@carboot_soul said:

@ebk said:

+1 on this, @rorie. I've got a Roku 3 and have noticed this problem intermittently with other videos in the past. I believe when I did the research, the videos generally had to do with 1080p in some fashion. Still seeing the problem as of the time I post this, though my PS4 works fine through the web browser. The first place I noticed this personally was the Forza Horizon 3 Quick Look, if that's worth anything for troubleshooting.

cdude9590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the problem is that older Rokus can't handle 1080p. I'm curious if the new ones fare any better.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adding +1 to this too. The latest This is the Run & Blue Bombing are unwatchable on Roku 2. Same issue as the Forza QL from last year. Will the app scale with the change to 1080p/60fps or is it time to change hardware?

king3pj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am also seeing this problem on the latest This is the Run and Blue Bombing. All the other streams, including the 1080p test stream seem to be fine.

I have an old Roku 2XD. The only thing I use it for is Giant Bomb content since I have plenty of other devices that can do Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc. It wouldn't be ideal but I would buy a Roku 4 or the new Apple TV if it means I will still be able to watch my Giant Bomb premium content on my TV going forward.

I'm not sure we have an answer about whether this stuff is working properly on those devices either though since someone mentioned their Chromecast having the same problem.

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a Roku 3, and the audio is de-syched for me on the latest This Is The Run and Blue Bombing, too. Just those videos, so far, and only via the Roku- I don't watch via the website, but I tried playing them on the site to see if I experienced the same problem and they played fine.

On the plus side, it's been a long time since the issue where the video stops playing and kicks you back to the menu at a fixed point in the video, so it's nice that that's gone away or into remission.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks. Yes can confirm both GBEast "live" videos have the audio problem. UPF seems fine, but buffers every few seconds. The Best of video from the weekend plays fine. Agree with others seems the Roku has issues playing 1080p in the channel. Hopefully that will give you enough to start making enquiries. Thanks for your help.

AntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to chime in with what I've noticed: The two latest GBeast videos are horribly out of sync on my Roku stick (2016 model), but the 1080p 60 special plays perfectly.

We tried the cheapie insignia Roku TV in the living room and both of the GBeast videos played fine. If I have to upgrade my Roku to watch premium content in my game room, so be it.

Ichi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id like to add that I have been having same issue with GBeast videos. I had been thinking about upgrading my roku for a while anyways if that will fix it...

cdude9590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antihero said:

Just to chime in with what I've noticed: The two latest GBeast videos are horribly out of sync on my Roku stick (2016 model), but the 1080p 60 special plays perfectly.

We tried the cheapie insignia Roku TV in the living room and both of the GBeast videos played fine. If I have to upgrade my Roku to watch premium content in my game room, so be it.

That video is 720/60 on the site.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

The audio sync on Ellipsis (another East video) is way off.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ellipsis/2300-11848/

The recent 1080 60 video runs fine for me too. Roku 3 "4200X" model, running 7.5.0.

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was about to post about Ellipsis. I assume just something about how GBEast is formatting their video files isn't playing nice with the Roku codecs or something similar.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we are working on this - we will most likely set the max res on Roku to 720p for the moment since that's apparently causing a fair amount of issues. Unfortunately the engineer who would take care of this has been sick so it might take a couple of days to get this out.

PolishHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By PolishHill

Another Roku user echoing issues with the videos mentioned. Thanks a ton for the update Rorie, happy to hear a fix is possible even if it takes a while.

Pozxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Pozxz

Roku 3 user having the same video/audio sync issues mentioned above. This has been happening on all GBEAST videos since "This Is The Run - Part 9". I believe this same issue happened for GBEAST videos 4 months ago.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI - @rorie@frobie

Roku just announced that they're sunsetting the old version of the SDK that the current Giant Bomb Roku channel is built with. You will be unable to update the existing channel as of next year, and the year after that it will cease to function completely.

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk/

• Effective immediately: No new features will be added to our “SDK1” visual screens
  • July 1, 2017: All new channels must use RSG or Direct Publisher
  • January 1, 2018: All channel updates must use RSG or Direct Publisher
  • January 1, 2019: Legacy visual screen components will be removed from Roku OS

Something to keep in mind.

Gatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I watch all of the Giant Bomb videos using my Roku 3. As of late, anything from GBE has been unwatchable. It's almost as if the Roku app is the red-headed step child of Giant Bomb.

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this gets fixed soon. I hate sitting at my computer to watch longer videos.

thesnord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By thesnord

Same problems on the 2016 Roku stick.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilmax17: So it sounds like the app would need to be brought up to the current standard or cease to function. Probably worth determining if the app will be updated before upgrading to the 2016 models.

Does the AppleTV run the Video Buddy app to display content, or does GB have an official app?

Ryanbluebirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man! I really love the Giant Bomb roku App. I feel like it needs a few features, but it's super awesome to be able to play giant bomb videos on the tv while I'm drawing on my computer for work. Hope Giant Bomb can update to the new sdk.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

Audio sync off on the Super Mario 2 video, right from the beginning.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/gbe-playdate-the-real-super-mario-bros-2/2300-11852/

The audio sync is also off on the Hitman summer bonus episode. I hadn't been paying that much attention to the video and don't know exactly when it started, but I first noticed it around the 7 minute mark.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-hitman-summer-bonus-episode-landslide/2300-11851/

@waronhugs said:

I hope this gets fixed soon. I hate sitting at my computer to watch longer videos.

Once you go living room couch, no desk chair can ever be the same.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#232 frobie  Staff

@evilmax17 Well, that is a giant bummer. We'll look into the options to bring the app up to date. Thanks for the heads up.

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By MasterSwanny

Roku app audio synch issues have spread to the west coast videos. The Hitman video is pretty unwatchable

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same thing with the new Hitman video for me too.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently part of this is due to the increase to 1080p/60 for some videos. We'll see what we can do on our end.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roku's also have a mirroring option thats in beta. It can sometimes be buggy but its usable for streaming from the Video Buddy app if the roku app if giving you problems.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#237  Edited By YoThatLimp

Man, glad it wasn't just me - bummer!

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: awesome thanks for looking in to it.

DrRMc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be a real shame if they aren't able to fix this issue with new videos playing properly on the Roku app. Personally this is the main way in which I consume GB content and would be lost without it.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By soulmanim3

Echoing the results of the Hitman, GBE Playdate, and Elipsis videos.

Tried the same content on the Roku YouTube app. Compression is bad and my old Roku 2 can barely run the app while a video is playing.

Has it been confirmed that the Roku Ultra can run these awesome videos correctly?

nasero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By nasero

Pretty much every video for me on my Roku 3 has been unwatchable other than the podcast since the last This is the Run. They've all had audio sync errors and it'll eventually just stop playing.

jeffhesser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same here. Have reset the roku. reloaded the channel completely. no love. HELPPPPPPP

jeffhesser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure it is the 1080p stuff. I watched the whole video a couple days ago with the new cameras and stuff. That played with no issues.

BTStreleckis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chiming in that I have identical issues on the Roku (mine is a 2XS) regarding the most recent videos (previous just from the New York studio, migrating over to SF videos). I'll just rely on my computer until then.

fujiwara_ae86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having same issues. Roku stick from 2014.

Simtronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having the same audio lag and stream quitting on both my Roku 3s. I hope this can be resolved soon, it's the only method I use to consume GB content.

drewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm not sure it is the 1080p stuff. I watched the whole video a couple days ago with the new cameras and stuff. That played with no issues.

If you're referring to this video, and first viewed it within a few days of it being uploaded to the site, that's because the site-served file (which is the same file that the Roku receives) was actually 720p. We have since swapped the 720p version for a 1080p version to test this very thing. I would suspect that if you went back and watched it now, you would have problems.

As Rorie said above, we're pretty sure we have a way for the Roku to detect the 720p version of all videos and play those instead, which should resolve all of these problems. We're currently working on implementing that.

PS: thanks everyone for posting in here; it's actually really helping us a lot!

conrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @drewbert if it means I can keep watching GB on my roku I'll take the 720p!

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@drewbert, @rorie: Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

This sync stuff has been happening on my Roku 3 recently and I just now remembered to post in here. Glad I found out this has been discussed already.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of it. It's all busted now. Every video.

@drewbert said:
@jeffhesser said:

If you're referring to this video, and first viewed it within a few days of it being uploaded to the site, that's because the site-served file (which is the same file that the Roku receives) was actually 720p. We have since swapped the 720p version for a 1080p version to test this very thing. I would suspect that if you went back and watched it now, you would have problems.

As Rorie said above, we're pretty sure we have a way for the Roku to detect the 720p version of all videos and play those instead, which should resolve all of these problems. We're currently working on implementing that.

PS: thanks everyone for posting in here; it's actually really helping us a lot!

Fantastic.