The Community Spotlight 2020.07.04

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host this week as we look back at the best community offerings from the last week! Over the years, I have tended to stay away from "themes" outside of the E3 and GOTY versions of the Spotlight. The sole exception, of course, is whenever the anniversary of Ryan Davis' passing rolls around. Seven years is an absurd amount of time to think about, but that's where we are at. I know there are many of you who joined the site after Ryan's passing. I'm not going to use this Spotlight to shame you or make you feel like you are not a valued part of this community. I do however hope that in sharing some of my favorite Ryan moments that you understand how great of a person he was and how his spirit lives on in how this site has evolved over time. As always, feel free to share your thoughts and thanks to Ryan in the original tribute thread by Rorie on the day of his passing.

• CORRECTION: Last week I suggested Abby was logging off from social media forever, and have been corrected by several community members that I was wrong and her Tweet only meant that she would be offline for the week of their vacation. I apologize for the misinformation.
  • In response to recent events, Ben is cancelling their video series on Them's Fightin' Herds, and the series in general has been re-titled.
  • If you are in need of some GOOD NEWS, it honors me to inform you the speedrunning community has embraced Vinny's back-flipping and backwards walking technique for BioForge and dubbed it "The Caravella Method." I guess we can look forward to Vinny appearing in an episode of Summoning Salt.

Tweets Of The Week

Clips Of The Week

Much like the Tweets section, I decided to share some of the best representation of Ryan's character from YouTube. Obviously, I likely missed some classic Ryan moments, so feel free to post your favorites I may have missed in the comments!

Galleria Of Art

What We Do In The Beastcast (By: @jearum)

Art master jearum combined the Beastcast crew with what I consider the best comedy TV show still on air! And before you ask, I like the What We Do in the Shadows TV show more than the movie. Bite me.

No Caption Provided

Jan Snap(By: @JDavidsen)

Jan's new series on Pokémon Snap really struck a cord with the community as we have TWO Jan-inspired works of art this week. This one comes from JDavidsen and I have to say the background texturing is amazing.

No Caption Provided

Jan Can Snap (By: @monkeyman04)

Monkeyman04 went ahead and made this tribute to Jan as a big "THANK YOU" for covering Pokémon Snap on the site!

No Caption Provided

EVA x Giant Bomb (By: @webnet)

... disgusting

No Caption Provided

Jeff Animated .GIFs (By: @fam)

If you use the link provided above, you'll find many other animated .gifs to tickle your fancy.

No Caption Provided

Community Activities

Join NOW and enjoy community created skins like this one!
Join NOW and enjoy community created skins like this one!

Giant Bomb TrackMania Club Available (By: @daltaaan)

We now have an unofficial community run TrackMania Club! Here's the link to use if you are interested in learning how to join it!

Blogs

As was the case last week, we have a lot of discussions about The Last of Us Part II.
As was the case last week, we have a lot of discussions about The Last of Us Part II.

The Last Of Us Part 2, Addiction, And Mental Health (By: @jasonr86)

JasonR86 writes about The Last of Us Part II and examines the game's depiction of addiction and mental health issues as a person who works as a mental health therapist.

Indie Game of the Week 177: Ara Fell +

2020: The Mid-Year Check-In (By: @mento)

Moderator Mento has a new episode of their "Indie Game of the Week" series and this one is all about Ara Fell from Stegosoft Games! Read why they consider it an excellent debut from the Akron-based indie developer! Secondly, they wrote an over-long thing about all the games I've played in 2020 so far.

LOG 4/5: MAY/JUNE 2020 (By: @mccash4gold)

If like me, you had never heard of Ara Fell until today, definitely check out mento's blog!
If like me, you had never heard of Ara Fell until today, definitely check out mento's blog!

MCCash4Gold returns to blogging on Giant Bomb by looking back on the high and low points of their gaming from May to June! Read which games they loved and hated using the link.

Naughty Dog And Multiplayer (By: @purpleshyguy)

PurpleShyGuy uses the backdrop of The Last of Us Part II to write a retrospective on the history of Naughty Dog's attempts at multiplayer modes and why they cannot help but wish for them to have another got at it.

The Wheel of Dubious RPGs Episode 008: Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (By: @arbitrarywater)

Ravenloft is a beloved adventure module for the Dungeons & Dragons, so, ArbitraryWater decided to give one of the earliest attempts to adapt it into a video game, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, a shot!

WWE Games Ranking... Doing The Double (By: NUTTA27)

Oh FMV in old CRPGs, how I miss thee.
Oh FMV in old CRPGs, how I miss thee.

nutta27 continues their highly scientific ranking of wrestling games with the big highlight being WWE All Stars. Read why they find parts of it timeless and other parts downright unplayable.

Days Gone Quietly Has Some Of The Most Messed Up Political/Moral Elements In A Video Game +

Batman: Arkham Origins Is A Decently Fun Time And Should Have Been In The Return To Arkham Collection (By: @bigsocrates)

bigsocrates continues their retrospective on Days Gone with an in-depth discussion about the game's morality system and why they not only hated, but found it to be one of the worst in video game history. bigsocrates also struck Batman: Arkham Origins from their gaming backlog and shares why they enjoyed the game and do not understand why it was not included in the "Return to Arkham" collection.

Discussions & Threads

Ready To Pay 70 Dollars For New Games? (By: @tp0p)

Have you had any fun with Ubisoft's attempt to get in the Battle Royale business?
Have you had any fun with Ubisoft's attempt to get in the Battle Royale business?

The big discussion thread on the site is about whether or not people will pay $70 for new AAA games. Where do you stand? Which games do you think have an easier time justifying a jump in price? Where do season passes stand?

Hyper Scape Discussion Thread (By: @madmatt213)

Have any of you tried out Hyper Scape? Here's a link to the community discussion thread for Ubisoft's sci-fi tinged battle royale game! Share what you like and dislike with your fellow users!

Improve-a-thon During COVID-19 (By: @paulwgraham)

Have you picked up a craft during the pandemic? What have you done to better yourself? Do you have any tips or tricks about keeping calm during these stressful times?

Trackmania Tier Access & Features Discussion Thread (By: @savutano)

I always love it when I have to look at a flowchart to figure out which version of a game I should purchase.
I always love it when I have to look at a flowchart to figure out which version of a game I should purchase.

The community is decidedly excited to play the new Trackmania, but the game's tiered accounts are proving to be a controversial and confusing sticking point. Share how you feel using the link above!

Games With In-Game Audio Commentary? (By: @hibikirush)

Do you miss games with in-game audio commentary? Which games today or coming up do you most want to be able to close read with the developers while playing it?

New PC or New Graphics Card? (By: @tofford)

Here's a thread asking for the input of the PC hobbyist community! The topic: how/when do you decide to upgrade your PC's graphics card versus building an entirely new PC?

Has Anyone Else Seriously Chipped Away At Their Backlog? (By: @darksouls1988)

How has your gaming backlog fared during the pandemic? Have you made major progress, or are games impossible to play in your set-up? Share and discuss the classic games you have finished off with the rest of the Giant Bomb community!

Mid-Year Check-Up: Your Game Of The Year So Far? (By: @liquiddragon)

We are basically halfway done with 2020, so, how have your predicted 2020 GOTY releases panned out thus far? Which games were hits, and which ones were misses?

If you have never played the audio commentary in The Orange Box, then you are missing out!
If you have never played the audio commentary in The Orange Box, then you are missing out!

Sounds Like They Might Announce Another Xbox Model In August? (By: @rorie)

What are your thoughts about the rumors of Microsoft selling a cheaper Xbox Series X console? Will it garner more sales for the platform overall or run the risk of splitting the consumer-base?

Dark Netflix Series - Season 3 Discussion (SPOILERS) (By: @humanity)

It might not be gaming related, but the community is practically BUZZING about the season 3 ending of the Netflix series Dark! If you want to have a SPOILER discussion about the show here's the link!

Lists

Truer words were never spoken.
Truer words were never spoken.

Every Party Member From Persona 3, 4 And 5 - Ranked (By: @seriuzbiznus)

SeriuzBiznus has been a fan of the Persona franchise since the third game and scientifically ranks every party member from games 3 through 5 from best to worst. Though, I must warn you there will be puns.

List Of Possible Names For Resident Evil 9 (By: @rejizzle)

RIP Mixer
RIP Mixer

If you are in need of a good laugh, might I recommend Rejizzle's list of "possible" names and subtitled for Resident Evil 9. Here's a hint of what you can expect.

Reviews

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

The Giant Bomb Warframe Clan Dojo for many years have dedicated a has special room we named the Taswell Hall

Taswell Memorial Hall - In the memory of Mr. Ryan Davis we dedicate the first room ever built of our dojo to him. He was vital to building Giant Bomb to what it is now. Without the Memorial Hall we could never have built the dojo

In it we made a memorial plaque screenshots below:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The burning credit chip is reference to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoQZs72JKE

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Hard to believe it's been 7 years... I remember first seeing the article about it on this website and thought the headline was a joke about his life being over because he just got married. Never imagined it could be real, man was that a real shock.

RIP Ryan, taken way to early from this world.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Put on some summer jams and live life like you're gonna write a song about it. King of the driveway wouldn't want it any other way.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Thanks for the mention!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Love Ryan Davis <3

cocowawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what's with all the gender-neutral pronouns?

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dhutch

@cocowawa: Do you mean when talking about users on the site? Zombiepie doesn't know the gender of users based on their handles, so uses they. It's correct.

@zombiepie: Hey I think the Caravella Method in Bioforge specifically refers to picking up a particular two items at once and saving 2 minutes.

frankbeneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice one!

cocowawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dhutch: no dude, in the corrections section (ironically) Abby going on their vacation and 'Ben is cancelling their video series'. which is strange cuz she/her was used in the same sentence. w/e, thought i was missing sth

fantasticasm89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The best part of this article is this tweet by Danny O'Dwyer: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1278137397134254080?s=20

wolfdtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I don't know who needs to see this today but I've really been appreciating the hard work of everyone on this site.