The Community Spotlight 2022.10.29

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host as we look back at the latest works and offerings from the Giant Bomb Community. This week, we have new shows and more Extra Life goodness to talk about before you dive into the meat and potatoes of this edition of the Spotlight. Speaking of which, I will be participating in the event! If you enjoy the Community Spotlight feature, please consider donating to my page. Also, Marino, who is the person that edits this feature ad makes it actually readable, is in charge of the Giant Bomb Moderators account. If you appreciate our efforts to keep the site safe and fun, consider donating there as well. With that in mind, let's go ahead and talk about the site related news.

News

Hey, everyone. Let's start the news off with something incredibly positive! This week Jason and Lisa celebrated their 15th anniversary. If you have been watching Giant Bomb long enough, you might even be able to think of your favorite Extra Life moments involving Lisa! Regardless, feel free to congratulate them in reaching this very special milestone in their marriage.

We have a few programming notes to review. Some people were wondering about the archive for Film & 40s: Hellraiser, but it is now on the site. Just be aware in the future, as Rorie commented over here, Film & 40s takes a little longer to process than most podcasts or streams on the site.

Likewise, JeffJeff's Bizarre Adventure is going every-other-week from this point forward. As we will review in a little bit, the staff are setting up some new programs and exciting features on the site and will be using an extra week to provide your normally scheduled podcasting goodness.

Now, let's talk about the new show everyone is talking about, Friday Night Forking! For those wondering, the show's "Season 1" will feature four episodes each of which will air live before they are published the next day on the site. With this first episode, there was a delay in production because the livestream legitimately melted Windbag's GPU at the end. As a a result, the final moments of the stream are likely lost forever. The staff and moderation team are aware that this new feature is a bit "different," but regardless of your opinion on the show itself, I think we all need to give props to the man's energy, effort, and creativity. It's a visually dense variety show and a monumental accomplishment as a one-man show. And to anyone that says "Old Giant Bomb would never do a show like this!" I present you with this as evidence that you are flat-out wrong.

Extra Life 2022 Plans & Information!

We are so close to $10,000! Help make it happen!
We are so close to $10,000! Help make it happen!

The individual donation account for the site and staff for Extra Life is up and has a goal of $100,000! If you can spare even a small donation to help the staff get closer to that goal, please click the first link and donate! Likewise, even if all you can do is spare a few hours, please still consider joining Giant Bomb's 2022 team for Extra Life!

Right now there are 47 team members and we have a goal of reaching 50 before the end of next week! Click the second link to join the fun! The Giant Bomb team for Extra Life is less than $1,000 away from cracking the $10K milestone and the event hasn't even started! If you can, consider donating to anyone on the team!

Finally, please consider giving the article Rorie published a read if you want to know more about the staff's plans for Extra Life and how you can watch all of the site's streaming goodness for the event as well as follow the MANY community-run streams!

Tweets

Galleria

Brown Tam (By: @kone)

The hierarchy of power in the Twitterverse is definitely changing every day, or so the news seems to suggest as much. So, Kone decided to envision someone able to wade through the noise. A truly "SUPER" hero...

No Caption Provided

Marvel Snap x Giant Bomb (By: @kone)

Marvel Snap seems to be getting a lot of buzz around the web, and as a result, Kone decided to imagine what kind of card the Giant Bomb logo would be like if it existed in Marvel Snap.

No Caption Provided

Activities

The GB Album Club 012 - 1. Outside by David Bowie+

GB Album Club Playlists - Spooky Scary Halloween Tracks (By: @unclejam23)

No Caption Provided

In case you missed it, the latest edition of the Community Album Club is throwing things back to a TRUE CLASSIC! That's right, it is time to give 1. Outside by David Bowie a listen! Also, inspired by Albummer's Halloween themed podcast a while back, the Community Album Club created TWO VOLUMES of "Spooky Scary Halloween Tracks!" If you want to get into the spirit of the season, and share what you'd like to see in volume three!

Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club Voting Thread For Cycle Starting 10/31/2022 +

Scorn Is The 20th Selection Of The UUGPGC! Completion Date Is 10/31/2022. Mark All Spoilers! (By: @bigsocrates)

How do you feel about the mixed consensus on this game? Share your thoughts NOW
How do you feel about the mixed consensus on this game? Share your thoughts NOW

The latest round of voting for the Community Game Pass Game Club is up and you can check out the possible nominees in the image below! Nominees include Tinykin and Coffee Talk! Use the first link above to vote for your top two! Also, don't forget that the current title for the Giant Bomb Community Game Pass Game Club is for Scorn! If you have any stances regarding the structure and gameplay of Scorn, join the debate! Please mark your spoilers!

Blogs

Finishing Final Fantasy VI - Episode 3: What An Ending; What A Game! (By: @zombiepie)

What a great scene; what a great game.
What a great scene; what a great game.

It took slightly over 10,000 words, but mod ZombiePie finally concludes their retrospective on Final Fantasy VI on Giant Bomb with an exhaustive look at the optional side quests, final dungeon, and why the Pixel Remaster's credits are a crime.

64 in 64: Episode 20 + Indie Game of the Week 293: Fran Bow (By: @mento)

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage and Mario no Photopi are the discussion points for Mento's latest 64 in 64 blog Which looks at a smattering N64 games in about one hour! Read all about it by clicking the link. Likewise, Mento has a new edition of their "Indie Game of the Week" feature and this one is for Fran Bow. Read if this Burton-esque Alice in Wonderland adventure should be in your Halloween rotation!

Interview: Trace "Peace Egg" Evans, Phasmophobia Speedrunner (By: @gamer_152)

How does one speedrun Phasmophobia? Read to find out!
How does one speedrun Phasmophobia? Read to find out!

For pumpkin season, I spoke to Phasmophobia speedrunner PsEG about bustin' ghosts at an expert level. If you have ever had any struggles with the game, give this blog a read and you might end up learning some pro tips.

RARE REPLAY RELAY: 30 Games, One Insurmountable Challenge (By: @jeremyf)

In a tribute to Rare, jeremyf dedicated themselves to getting EVERY SINGLE ACHIEVEMENT in Rare Replay. It took them one year and one week from start to finish, but they finally got all 431 achievements!

The Tower of Dubious Horror Games 07-10: All That Has Illblood, Illbleeds. (By: @arbitrarywater)

I need more of you to know about Illbleed.
I need more of you to know about Illbleed.

ArbitraryWater has a real doozy of an episode for their latest "Tower of Dubious Horror Games" blog on the site! It even includes an exhaustive write-up about Illbleed, which they played thanks to Jess talking about it! Oh, and they talk about other spooky games as well.

Hosting The Underworld Part 1 of 3 Heaven’s Guests + Part 2 + Part 3 (By: @infantpipoc)

Why does infantpipoc think Supergiant's Hades could learn a thing or two from Fate Apocrypha and other video game franchises that have tackled the pantheon of Greek and Roman gods? Click the link above to find out, and get ready for some Astolfo appreciation on the site!

All PS1 Games in Order: Part 014 (By: @borgmaster)

Is this a GOTY candidate? Join the debate!
Is this a GOTY candidate? Join the debate!

borgmaster has a STACKED edition of their retrospective looking at the PS1's catalog in chronological release! Read if they think NBA In The Zone, Zero Divide, Bases Loaded '96: Double Header, and Road Rash still hold up.

Vampire Survivors And Why It Might Be Game Of The Year (By: @av_gamer)

How will you rank Vampire Survivors when GOTY season comes rolling? AV_Gamer shares on the site why they think it is likely going to be their #1, and you can read why.

My One Big Problem With The Upcoming RE4 Remake (By: @atheistpreacher)

AtheistPreacher has been following the rumor mill for the Resident Evil 4 remake for a while and they take to Giant Bomb to discuss the one thing they noticed in the trailer they are not excited about: weapon durability. Join the conversation!

Discussion Threads

So Many Silent Hill Games Announced. Is This Konami's Comeback? (By: @giant_gamer)

Remember, Silent Hill isn't the only property worth reviving that Konami owns.
Remember, Silent Hill isn't the only property worth reviving that Konami owns.

A LOOOOOOOOT of Silent Hill projects have been announced, but is that enough to sound the alarm that Konami s "back" as a major video game developer or publisher? For those of you saying "no," what franchise revival would move the needle for you?

The Witcher 1 Is Getting an Unreal 5 Remake (By: @facelessvixen)

The original entry in The Witcher franchise is getting an Unreal 5 full remake! Are you excited? How would you adapt the game to take advantage of new technology?

Podcast Overload (By: @skuski)

Are you down to clown?
Are you down to clown?

Here's a discussion thread everyone in the Giant Bomb community can likely relate to: podcast overload. How are you managing all of the new podcasts both on and off the site? Are you rotating podcasts in and out? How do you process the hours of content.

Your Early Thoughts On The Year 2023's Video Games In General? (By: @gtxforza)

It's crazy, but 2022 is almost over! So far, how would you characterize the quality of video games that came out this year? Does this year compare favorably or unfavorably to the other pandemic years?

Happy 10th Anniversary To Forza Horizon! (By: @gtxforza)

Happy birthday, Xbox.
Happy birthday, Xbox.

The Forza Horizon franchise recently turned 10 this week! What are you favorite memories of the open-world activity-driven racer franchise? Are you surprised by its longevity.

What Do You Do When Your Work Is Really Affecting Your Mental Health? (By: @sombre)

It's a bit of a heavy topic, but those who have posted comments in this thread could definitely benefit from more input from the community. How do you limit workplace stress from impacting your mental health? Share your tips and tricks with the rest of the community!

User Reviews

Have you had a good time with Scorn?
Have you had a good time with Scorn?
  • @excellr8's Scorn review articulates why the game managed to successfully gross them out, but it also left them disappointed because of what they felt like was an odd mix of conflicting game mechanics.

Wiki Of The Week

The Witcher

I'm still kind of amazed this turned into a tentpole PC franchise.
I'm still kind of amazed this turned into a tentpole PC franchise.

Everyone is talking about the announcement of the Unreal 5 remake of the game, but Giant Bomb's wiki page for the original The Witcher game has almost everything in the game covered! That's why it is this week's "Wiki Page of the Week!"

maian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Love to read the Community Spotlight on a Friday Night!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for featuring my threads again! this is why I love Giant Bomb so much!

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stealydan
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

That art is legit. I've said before, Tam would make a great Wolverine. And thanks for the highlight again.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombiepie I just want you to know I'm coming legitimately close to purchasing The Elder Scrolls: Redguard because of you.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Community spotlight \o/

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Zombiepie I just want you to know I'm coming legitimately close to purchasing The Elder Scrolls: Redguard because of you.

I have failed you.

kone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feature, ZombabwePie!