Your view of the current console race since launch?

• 179 results
BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have no intrest in anything on WiiU. I own a PS4 and XOne and I buy more games on PS4. I buy more PC games on Steam than all of them combined.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@rachelepithet: On the live from playstation stuff are you just looking at the first Live section I think its called? If you go to the games sections it shows how many people are actually broadcasting that game. I tend to see way way more than 100-200 streaming COD, GTA V and Destiny alone. Think the first section that usually has around 100 spots is just for the people with the most viewers. I guess which is kind of telling in itself. Even in top streams doesn't seem like that many people are watching.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both kind of suck compared to PC, more than any other generation before that?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@humanity: Actually, parties have been very unstable for me in Destiny on Xbox, as well.

My opinion on this whole thing is, I had intended to buy a PS4 because of the Destiny exclusives. Then Destiny turned out to be, well, Destiny, and I was left waiting for a reason to buy in. When it came, it turned out my friend wanted to play Xbox (because his wife was worried about having to learn a new controller, ha) I saw no reason to strongly argue for anything else. And so far, I've gotten a good amount of use out of it, though if I were at a place in life where this investment of $ was actually significant, I could easily have stuck with PC without missing out on much. PS4 continues to look like the better console eventually, but every time a big title comes, it underwhelms. I'm sure that trend will end eventually.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own either console ( I don't really even count the Wii U as a current gen system) and currently have no plans on getting either. These are by far the disappointing consoles in a long time. If I had to choose though, I'd probably get an Xbox One. It may not be as powerful but it has the Master Chief collection. Sony has series they could remaster for the PS4 but they're totally disinterested. I'm most likely just going to stick with my PS3 and skip this generation.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonavenger: it's your money. But PS4 is selling better than the ps2 did. Not sure about Xone though...

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I bought an XONE day one, and PS4 a little while after. I use my XONE way more, and now my PS+ is about to lapse. Apparently they're dropping the XBL price down to $40, so we'll see how permanent that is. I never actually got into Dark Souls II, so maybe I'll try it this time around when it comes out. I'm looking forward to getting Ori and the Blind Forest, and wouldn't mind getting Screamride or Killer Instinct Season 2 at some point, as I have the first season. I'll even be surprised if they come out with a Gears collection this year, as I just don't see it happening, yet think it needs to happen for this year.

I am looking forward to getting Uncharted 4, yet I'm doubtful that title is coming out at the end of this year either. As far I could tell, I'm definitely getting most of the Xbox exclusives this year, and yet I'm looking forward to Tomb Raider more than I am Halo 5, and then Quantum Break and Forza 6 in 3rd and 4th place. Still, I really just wing it month to month, and I'm enjoying the multi-plats that are coming out right now. And Arkham Knight and Payday 2 I'll both probably get at some point, one to definitely co-op. And I definitely don't mind buying Borderlands 2 again, but that's just me. /r

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By nasher27

I bought an XB1 a little after launch and I'm not disappointed. At the time I really wanted to try Titanfall, and the ~10% worse performance on most cross-platform titles really doesn't matter to me. I also generally find MS exclusives more enjoyable, I loved playing through the campaigns in MCC (especially because I'm a huge Halo fan and I had never played 4). I would definitely pick up a Gears collection, as I never played past Gears 2. To be honest though, the features I use most are the non-gaming ones like TV and the web browser to watch quicklooks on my TV, and controlling everything with Smartglass on my phone has got to be the most useful feature IMO.

miserygoats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Wii U this weekend and have been happy with it so far. Since many/most of the AAA games that aren't Nintendo don't interest me, I can comfortably stick with that and a potential PC down the line and be completely fine.

If I had to buy one of the other consoles, I'd do a One, since they have more games that interest me. I can't think of a single PS4 exclusive that I'd be really chomping at the bit to play, besides maybe (as someone who has never played a Souls game) giving Bloodborne a try.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By RonGalaxy

Its all about preferences. Sure, the one has more exclusives than the ps4, and better reviewed ones too, but neither console has put an exclusive out that has looked interesting to me. Currently, the only exclusives I am excited for are bloodborne, uncharted 4, and no mans sky, and I have a history of liking Sony exclusives better than Microsoft ones, which is why I went with ps4. That, and PS plus is hard to beat when you have a ps4, vita, and ps3.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, on paper I should be praising how much the WiiU exclusives have been killing it. In practice I have 2 games for the WiiU and I bought the thing almost 2 years ago. Looking at footage of pikmin, the mario games and donkey kong put me to sleep. Sure, smash brothers and monster hunter have been great but between those 2 games it's been a barren wastland of nothingness.

I've had my PS4 for half as much time and loved dragon age, the last of us, destiny and a truckload of indy games I played on that console. Helldivers is coming out Tuesday and that looks rad, Bloodborn is at the end of the month, after that it's batman, the witcher 3 and a new destiny expansion. Later down the road I'll pick up Persona 5 and Uncharted 4. Really a treasure trove of stuff I'm looking forward to.

A combination of stuff I couldn't get on any other platform, PC master race be damn.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both quite boring so far.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pyrodactyl: Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are not nothingness.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By pyrodactyl

@corevi said:

@pyrodactyl: Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are not nothingness.

Bleh, unless I'm really hurting to play something I usually have no interest in buying character action games. These kinds of games just can't provide enough value for someone like me who will play through them once. I'm sure they're awesome if you take the time to master the combat system and go through the impossible difficutly setting but I always get my fill from one run on hard the first time through.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So I have a PS4 since launch and it is my main game playing device. I kind of want to get a XB1, mainly for Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2, and own a Wii U.

The problem with a PC for me right now is that my current desktop is going on 9 years old, and while I've upgraded a few thing here and there over the years the motherboard is completely outdated (uses DDR2 RAM) and somethings have just straight up stopped working like some USB ports. Now I have a pretty decent laptop which I use for the usual stuff and for small indie games. If I were to buy a new desktop I'd be going all in, DDR4 based motherboard, GTX 980, etc., so I wouldn't have to tinker with it for 5-6 years. Since this would cost me $1500-$1700 I just can't justify that to make games a little prettier to look at despite wanting to.

G3ese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own a WiiU and a Xbone. Mostly just play the WiiU and occasionally turn on the Xbox. Don't see the point of buying the PS4 except hype, probably won't buy one until way late in the generation if I do at all.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Corevi

@pyrodactyl: Sure, but Wonderful 101 goes for $20/30 these days which is totally worth it even if you only do 1 run. Bayonetta 2 will probably hit that price soon as well given how poorly it sold.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

PS4 is the most lackluster of the three in terms of games but Microsoft making so many dumb mistakes out of the gate has allowed them to pretty easily pull ahead. At this point MS has corrected a lot of them but it's probably too late. Nintendo is the same as always, whether they are number one or number three. Decent exclusives and just about nothing else.

Don't think much will change over the next few years. MS will continue to close the gap because being number two will force them to work harder, just like the PS3 had to last time. I still see no reason to own both a PS4 and Xbone. Pick the exclusives you want and go.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I went PC primary this round and so far that feels like the definite right choice.

I'd argue it's not the consoles themselves are disappointing, it's just that now the PC is getting decent quality multiplat ports they never had previously. And reasonably close to initial release too.

That's a game changer from previous console cycles.

Since Sony and MS went away from first party games last gen and Japanese developers are putting less emphasis on the console market in favor of mobile, there really just isn't much intriguing exclusives on either the PS4 or Xbone as we are used to by this point in the cycle. There's a handful on each to be sure (Final Fantasy Type-0, Bloodborne, Infamous:Second Son, Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound etc) but without the previously multiplat console only games to round them out, it looks and feels thin if you have a PC.

Without a clear hardware edge, a unique gameplay experience and/or a large slate of exclusives, the PS4 & XBone just aren't very compelling when measured against a PC.

Nintendo obviously still has the deepest slate of exclusives and the most different hardware , but the WiiU is so underpowered with such a low install base it's a non-starter to use as a primary platform for a player. The WiiU is essentially a Nintendo only machine, for better or worse.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me if Microsoft hadn't bumbled their launch so incredibly they could have put Sony pretty much out of the game entirely. Sony has had every opportunity to crush MS but they just can't seem to deliver the software to make it happen.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Xbox One: Microsoft has done a great job post-launch with their frequent updates to the UI and apps on the Xbox One. Their servers seem a bit more stable than Sony's, and they have more exclusive games that are not indie games. With that said, the exclusive games have been of average quality and interest level. Overall, I think they have the 'most likely to improve' award on everything just like the 360 did. Oh, and the Kinect still sucks, but can be a fun, quirky thing to use. Personally, I am happy with the Xbox One's progress and hope to see them work harder to make better exclusive games. The dashboard is being tweaked in many great ways and will probably be the ideal console for someone who likes to multitask.

PS4: The PS4 did a great job pre-launch with their marketing as they were able to capitalize on Microsoft's missteps and grab a large portion of the community. Post-launch is a different story. Their game library has been growing, but almost exclusively due to their indie game push. Whether purchasing a $400 console to play indie games is worth it is up to each individual. Most of their big games have been re-releases or we have the single case of The Order ... which flopped. Their updates to their UI have been slow and the PS4 is still missing the suspend/resume feature that was mentioned before the console launched. However, most jrpgs will most likely be on the PS4 because it's the console Japan prefers. Overall, I am disappointed with the PS4's progress, but interested to see the games that are 'exclusive because of Japan' and if Sony will ever improve network problems. The PS4 is great, but I hope something happens and humbles Sony in a way that gets them working to address our concerns. I am mainly looking forward to JRPGs on PS4.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose a PS4 for three reasons: I like the 'sclusies a bit more, I like to switch it up each generation (the 360 was my main console last time), and I can't afford to maintain both a PS+ and Gold account, so I stuck with the service I was currently taking part in.

I'm loving it. I don't love that it can't pick up the Wifi signal that my PS3 has no trouble with, but hopefully a power line adapter will fix that. I'm still in "shiny new console!" mode, however. We'll see how I feel in a year. But for right now, I'm quite happy with it.

Of course, I'm sure the X1 is a fine machine, and I definitely want one someday. A WiiU as well, but that's way way down the line.

It's funny: the big thing with this generation is that "the consoles are so woefully underpowered"... but my PC has been underpowered for so long that games like Second Son have me just whispering "holy fuck" and hitting the Share button every ten minutes.I feel like I missed the last five years of graphical progress or something.

Games are really fucking pretty now, you guys.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Despite the PS4 being my primary console for most games, I have definitely had a better time with the Xbox One. I think Sunset Overdrive is the best exclusive on either console by a pretty huge margin. Even though I played Titanfall (pre-One) on the PC, I'd take it over Shadowfall. The PS4's best, big exclusive (Infamous) is only pretty good.

That's not to say I haven't had fun with the exclusives though. I'm one of those pieces of shit that liked The Order a bunch and kinda like Knack... really!

I like the Xbox interface a lot, and still feel like the PS4's is unfinished. It's often straight up busted with friends not appearing on lists and messages sometimes taking years to go through, but the PS4 does have a vastly superior record function.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twinsun said:

The only thing that is tempting me to buy a current gen console is Bloodborne, and since I'm not exactly the wealthiest person at the moment, I probably can't justify buying a ps4 for only 1 game.

I'm on the same boat. As much as I would most likely enjoy Bloodbrone [sic], one game is not enough to persuade me to purchase a single console when I own a pretty potent PC even if it's 2½ years old at this point. Never mind the fact that there's probably 100+ games in my backlog on my Steam account that I've yet to play. So, yeah.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought a Wii U and a PC and every indication so far is that that was a good decision.

Until Bloodborne comes out. Then I'm going to have to pimp myself out.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion said:

That's all added to the fact that the Xbox has more games for it. As shown before and as is being realized right now.

That's actually not what a fact is.

Yes, it is. The number of boxed exclusive games that released on the Xbox One was greater than the number that appeared on PS4. That is very much a fact. I assume you thought I said it had better games, but that's not what I meant.

@marokai said:

@zevvion said:

So yeah, I told you so. Don't get me wrong, I like my PS4, but the ridiculous bashing of the Xbox and insane praise of the PS4 was more than unjustified.

This is a bit of an unfair assessment; it was perfectly justified at the time. The Ps4 was just the objectively better deal at the beginning of all this. That the Ps4 has wasted its potential over the last year doesn't really make that no longer true.

The state of the Ps4 has been immensely disappointing though. I'm sick of their constant infrastructure maintenance, I'm tired of the exclusives consistently being clunkers. Is it the better console all things being equal? For me, a person that doesn't play multiplayer games all that often and prefers using discs instead of digital purchases, and it being more powerful, sure. But the Xbox is cheaper now, its infrastructure rock solid, its media apps less scammy than they used to be, and its exclusives at least less dull.

@humanity said:

Interesting to see people in 2015 still wear their lack of console use as some sort of badge of pride - or common sense as I'm sure they would call it.

Console warring is practically a crime and console port begging incredibly frowned on, yet flaunt how you only have a PC and how you just want everything to come to PC and it's not nearly as ostracized as it deserves being.

These presentations were going on, and before these consoles launched, it was clear the Xbox One had more exclusive games in the first two-ish years upcoming and they showed much more of them. Whereas Sony often showed trailers like the first of The Order. Yeah, that looked like it could be cool, but they might as well not have shown anything because that trailer didn't say anything at all. You can interpret it how you want, I guess, but it was glaringly obvious to me at the time that the Xbox One would have more exclusive games available for it in the start up years.

Besides that, everyone should have at least heard of how unstable PSN was compared to Xbox Live. Yeah, the service was okay on the PS3, but even then Live was pretty much kicking it out of the room. Added how much more online connections were going to matter, it was at least an educated guess that Live would once again be more stable than PSN.

I don't see why it is an unfair assessment when this stuff was common knowledge before these machines launched. Xbox rolled back its always online requirement and still people made claims like that; damning the Xbox and praising the PS4. Here we are now. I just don't see how it is unfair to say people should've seen this coming.

Again, not bashing the PS4, but as far as the first two-ish years are concerned, yeah, this was more than expected.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I regret buying my Xbone since I still primarily use my PC. Almost all of my friends unanimously play consoles, so the only reason I grabbed one was to play multiplayer now and then. Other than the friend factor, there's no major draw (for me) to either console yet.

I do plan to get a Wii U soon though, since I still have a soft spot for Nintendo exclusives.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's this fallacy of Xbox One having more exclusive games? Do I really need put together a list of exclusives for both consoles and waste my time disproving a myth? It wouldn't hurt for some of you to do actual research before making a claim.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always find it silly and wishful thinking when people claim the reason PS4 has outsold the Xbox One is because of Microsoft's bad messaging early on. I'm sure there are some who bought into that hype, but I find it dubious that the large difference in sales is due to that. The power difference, even if you consider it negligible, is a bigger contributing factor than the idea that the Xbox One was always-on.

Face it, there are more reasons behind the PS4 outselling the Xbox One than this that make up the large difference. We already knew that there are territories where the Playstation brand has always been preferred over the Xbox One. I didn't see Microsoft making any inroads there, especially when launching later.

People like to point out the games that the Xbox One had at launch, but they ignore that people's tastes in games may differ from their own. None of them were enticing to me, and from the sounds of it, to many others. The PS4 was in the same boat, although it had two exclusives I wanted earlier than the one on Xbox One I was very slightly interested in. If you're interested in a third-party game, then you have to make that decision sooner than waiting for the exclusives to pile up, and the PS4 is the better platform for now.

Then there are people who were able to develop hands-on impressions with both systems before making their purchasing decision. I knew I would not want to play the majority of games using the Xbox One controller. They managed to tweak the ergonomics enough to cause carpal tunnel pains for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's this fallacy of Xbox One having more exclusive games? Do I really need put together a list of exclusives for both consoles and waste my time disproving a myth? It wouldn't hurt for some of you to do actual research before making a claim.

This isn't System Wars or a Youtube comment section, duder. You don't need to make pointless lists just to stand up for your favorite electronic box.

Also, there's like, one response in this entire thread that comes anywhere close to making that claim.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@turtlebird95 That's exactly why I refrain from System Wars-style arguments. I notice that every store I walk in, the Wii U has more shelf space assigned to its games than it does for the XB1. You can bicker about which has the better games but it ultimately comes down to what 13/14 year olds are getting for their birthdays in the stores.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By pyrodactyl

@zevvion: Then again, all of Microsoft's offering seemed boring from the get go. Everything I've seen of dead rising 3 made me actively dislike it, sunset overdrive has basically the same appeal as Infamous, I couldn't care less about titanfall and I'm not a driving game guy. What's even left after that?

Let's compare to PS4: in 2014 I got to play what became one of my favorite games of all time: The Last of Us. I also liked infamous, transistor, the binding of Isaac and 1001 spikes. I got the demonstrably better version of destiny with a bigger community and I was able to find a bunch of cool duders to raid with in no time.

We can also look at the upcoming game we know enough about to form some kind of opinion:

It's Bloodborn, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Street fighter 5 and No man's sky VS Halo 5, Fable Legends and Quantum break

From what I've seen of Halo 5, Fable Legends and Quantum break I literally couldn't care less. Focus on arena battles in Halo bores me to tears, Quantum break is a cover shooter with a weird gimmick, Fable Legends is kinda like evolve and I never had any interest in evolve.

On the other side I'm super excited for Uncharted and No man's sky and almost frothing at the mouth for Bloodborn and Persona 5. Not a fighting game guy but SF is a HUGE get for Sony.

Sure, Crackdown, Scalebound (is that the name of that thing?), etc might turn out incredibly well but I'm doubtful.

Regarding PSN vs Xbox live I don't know dude. I felt it after Christmas for 3 days for sure but aside from that it's been great. One thing is for certain: hearing the crew bitch month after month after month about how the xbox interface is terrible didn't make me want to pick one up at all. Also hearing how Drew had to wrestle with the system for 2 hours to get into a Halo match with friends didn't make me go ''Xbox live is so better than PSN''. The whole friendslist and achievments interface of that console sounded like a clusterfuck for most of last year.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been over a year and it still feels like we're getting launch games.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By winsord

@trafalgarlaw said:

If you want to get into the semantics of it, the Xbox One does have more exclusives, unless you're using a weird interpretation of the term. Here's a list of the exclusive games for both platforms that are: out in North America/Europe, and only available on that platform (no console exclusives, no timed exclusives):

Xbox One: 17

• Boom Ball for Kinect
  • Crimson Dragon
  • D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  • Dance Central Spotlight
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Funk of Titans
  • Halo: The Masterchief Collection
  • Killer Instinct
  • Killer Instinct Classic
  • Killer Instinct 2 Classic
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Pneuma: Breath of Life
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Shape Up
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Xbox Fitness
  • Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition

PS4: 8

• Basement Crawl
  • Driveclub
  • Infamous First Light
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • The Order: 1886

If you remove HD remake games, you've still got 14 for the Xbox One and 7 for the PS4. If you get into releases that are coming up but aren't out yet, the Xbox One is still leading by a fair margin. Obviously not all of these titles are great, I don't think anyone considers Funk of Titans and Shape Up to be big 'gets' for Microsoft, but people aren't wrong when they say it has more exclusives. All of this stuff gets into really dumb 'console wars' kind of territory though, and different games are going to appeal to different people so it's pointless to get into an argument of "most exclusives". If you hate all of the games Microsoft has to offer, then they might as well have 0 exclusives and vice versa, so being upset by someone saying the Xbox One has more exclusives (especially when it technically does) is silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: I don't see how that's relevant to your original post.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not worth getting into for X1 and PS4 as the games aren't there yet. Once Arkham Knight comes out that might change things a little. I'm still waiting for the PS4 + Vita + Mass Effect 4 bundle that has to happen.

Wii U has come of age since last year and this year it'll kill it with great games once again.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I picked up a PS4 at launch; but I'm mainly a PC guy. Here are my feelings.

I feel that the PS4 was a good investment; but I don't often use it for games other than local multiplayer (niddhogg, puyo puyo tetris, et cetera). It has become a way to watch Netflix, Plex, Crunchyroll, et cetera on our couch with the possibility for games as well. When games I'm excited for like Uncharted 4 come out, then I'll definitely play the exclusives there; but, as mentioned in the header, I mainly use PC to play my games.

As for the Xbone - it seems fine; but I am personally not interested in any of the exclusives (sunset overdrive looks okay, and forza is a cool series; but still, not going to drop 400 bucks on another console for those). We also don't have cable, so a lot of the TV functionality would go unused. The kinect seems interesting, but it's not really something I'm overly interested in. I feel like Microsoft has done a lot to get back into the console game; but I can't justify having two systems that I won't be using too often.

The WiiU seems great - I will probably pick one of those up in the near future.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Berserker976

@zevvion said:

@berserker976 said:
@zevvion said:

That's all added to the fact that the Xbox has more games for it. As shown before and as is being realized right now.

That's actually not what a fact is.

Yes, it is. The number of boxed exclusive games that released on the Xbox One was greater than the number that appeared on PS4. That is very much a fact. I assume you thought I said it had better games, but that's not what I meant.

No, it's not. You said the Xbox One had more games. That's not true: all released Xbox One games vs. all released PS4 games.

Also, I think this is relevant to this discussion: This is a big list of every game coming to the PS4 in 2015. (plus PS3 and Vita)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88  Edited By pr1mus

Completely uninteresting.

There's not a single game not available on PC that interest me so far. I'm mildly interested in Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 i suppose but even then not that much either. Also with console game prices skyrocketing up here and sales that pale in comparison with what you get on PC i just can't afford it. That's something though. The notion of PC gaming being more expensive always seemed ridiculous to me because while the up front investment in the hardware is greater you made up for it in no time with cheaper games. Now it's not even close anymore, console gaming is for the rich.

And besides, both consoles are so under powered that my 5 year old PC is still holding on reasonably well. I would like to thank Sony and Microsoft for that. With a new generation of console I was fearing that PC hardware manufacturers and PC developers would engage in an another ridiculous arms race for overpriced hardware but not so much this time.

On top of that Japanese developers are getting more and more on PC. Konami (or maybe it was Capcom?) recently said that PC was now a bigger market for them than the Xbone. I like it.

I guess i'm somewhat interested in getting a Wii U at some point when it's cheaper.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy with my ps4, I just hope to get time to actually play Bloodborne.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#90 fisk0  Moderator

Everybody were laughing at the Wii U's specs at it's launch, but for the past year or so, it's been the only console with a line-up actually justifying a purchase.

Since neither of the consoles are anywhere near the specs of even a cheap PC, going for the better library rather than which of the consoles has marginally better hardware seems like the wiser choice.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a GTX 980, so the only stuff I'm playing on consoles is exclusives. That being said, the PS4 is both more powerful and has exclusives that are more interesting to me (honestly interested in nothing on the Xbox, aside from maybe MCC, but we all know how that one turned out), so the PS4 was a no-brainer.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all the consoles are tied imo,because i dont feel the need to get any of them right now.however,by the end of this year it will be clear who has the better games.i mean ps4 is getting uncharted 4,persona 5,and bloodborn this year,and xbox one is getting a couple games as well.if i had to guess what console has the better games by the end of the year,it would be the ps4.i expect the previously mentioned games to be amazing,because they are part of series that are already known to be great.xbox on the other hand i have zero hope for.quantum break looks bad imo,and the rest of the games look meh to me as well.so right now they are tied,but i fully expect the ps4 to destroy xbox this year in games.if uncharted 4 and the other games are all bad,then the ps4 is going to be in trouble and the wii u would be the choice for console at that point.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I just don't see Sony winning anything right now. Yes, the PS hardware is selling exceptionally well, but hardware sales are not where this business is won or lost. Last generation is the perfect example. the Wii trounced the PS3 and 360 in regards to hardware sales, yet didn't even come close to the kinds of profits the 360 or PS3 saw. Money in this industry is made on games, always has been and always will be. Well, with the modern gaming market its actually all about games and subscription services now (Xbox Live Gold, PS+, etc.). Overall hardware sales are really the least important statistic. Attachment rates and subscription rates are FAR more important. That being said, Sony has really fallen flat on its face thus far in regards to games for the PS4. Were now 15+ months in and Sony still doesn't have a AAA retail exclusive that isn't a remake of a PS3 game.

Then you have the Xbox One. Roughly around August, it was reported the Xbox One was selling 2.6 times faster than the Xbox 360, at the same point in its lifespan. So even tho the Xbox One isn't selling as well as the PS4, its still selling extremely well. Its basically broken every record in the book for MS and its overall sales increased substantially when they put it on sale, so I would imagine that number would be even higher now. Most importantly, Xbox One has had a much stronger start in regards to games and exclusives. The first 7 months were pretty weak for both consoles, but starting at the midway point of August, a nice stream of quality exclusives were released on the Xbox One including Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, and the Master Chief Collection, which even tho had problems with its multi-player, still had 4 single player Halo campaigns including Halo 2 remastered. This was on top of a nice steam of quality 3rd party releases including Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Diablo III, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, GTA V, Metro Redux, etc... Ultimaely, in regards to game, it gave the Xbox One a MUCH stronger closing of 2014, and ultimately a much better 2014 in general.

On top of that, you have the consoles themselves and while the PS4 is a bit more powerful, which is great for games, I personally think the Xbox One is just a FAR more exciting piece of hardware. MS has really been the big innovator in the console market the last 2 generations. Achievements, HD games, Online games (Xbox Live), Xbox Live Arcade (smaller digital only titles), digital distribution through and online store, Indie games on consoles, gamerscore, avatars, tv and movies through a console, applications (Crackle, Netflix, etc.), cross game chat, matchmaking, and the list goes on and on. All were seen first on Xbox and later adopted by Sony. Now we have Skype, HDMI pass-through, and voice control and we will surely see a lot more before all is said and done. Look at the Xbox 360 at launch and then look at the Xbox 360 at roughly the 4 year point. they are really 2 complexly different consoles. I didn't even really like the Xbox 360 at launch and it ultimately became my single favorite console that I have ever owned.

MS's innovations just make for a more exciting console and already there is a big difference on this front. I absolutely LOVE Skype. I have a cousin down in Florida that I game with online at least 3-4 times a week and Skype has been a HUGE improvement over regular online gaming. It really is amazing. I would never use it with strangers, but with family and friends....well, it really does make all the difference in the world. I couldn't imagine going back to regular online gaming with him after using Skype the last 7-8 months. I am also a HUGE fan of HDMI pass-through. I only started using this feature a couple of months back, but I am already hooked. Forget the remote and forget looking up what channel is what, just speak the channel's name and BAM...your there. As someone who always had a hard time remembering channel numbers (don't watch tv very often) and had too many remotes...its a legitimate quality upgrade. Same for voice control in general. Its a bit weird talking to your tv, but it becomes 2nd nature in no time at all. If you enjoy the multi-media aspect of modern gaming machines, which I absolutely do....well, MS's consoles are just FAR more exciting on this front. I honestly can't wait to see what comes next.

When you look at all of these things together....well, I personally get a very different take on who's winning what right now. Yes, Sony is winning in the numbers department in regards to hardware, but I think its MS who is winning overall. they have recovered from a disastrous start and are just rolling right now. Ultimaely, I think the average Xbox One user is enjoying their console more than the average PS4 user, at least thus far. What happens from here is anyone's guess, but i personally see MS out in the lead right now. Impressive sales overall, not to mention better games and better features.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

In the six some odd months I've owned my PS4, I've played consistently more games than I did with my Xbox 360 in the period of time when I first bought that. For a long time, about three months or so, the only game I played on the 360 was Oblivion. O my PS4, I've got probably close to two dozen good-to-great indie games, Minecraft, and a bevvy of games that might be holdovers from last generation but are still really quality games. With Dying Light, I'm now also starting to see the kinds of bigger games I want to play. If this generation keeps redefining games as more than just indie titles and AAA games, I'm going to be incredibly happy with it. We need lots more games that fit that $20-40 "budget" price, with less of a focus on graphics and more of a focus on good gameplay.

Also, Disgaea 5 and Persona 5, people. C'mon.

On the other side of the fence, I think PCs and Xbox Ones are mighty attractive, but just not finanfically feasible for me right now. Microsoft is doing an admirable job of righting its wrongs. Halo and Forza are two of my favorite IPs and I'm a little jealous of people getting to play both. PCs are a little overhyped, but you can't deny that graphically and in terms of sales, they're the best route to go. I'm just not fond of dicking around with minutia settings any time I get a finicky game not agreeing with my graphics driver or some such.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There aren't enough games on either console. However I was someone who was sure the ps4 was the better of the two at launch. Picked one up and a year later I now own both and favor the xbox one for most things. However I'm a little biased since my ps4 has had issues since I got it and malfunctioned beyond using last week. Thank cthulu for warranties I guess.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#96  Edited By extintor

Bottom line. Whoever releases a must-have, system-defining exclusive game (not just re-hashed previous generation stuff) will take the lead by creating a meaningful buzz among gamers. Comparisons made between systems about tiny aesthetic differences in visual output are meaningless and exist only to satisfy fan-boy confirmation bias. Right now, neither console has any killer app releases (exclusive or otherwise) so we have to view the current gen as a disappointment given that we are nearly 15 months into it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

Both kind of suck compared to PC, more than any other generation before that?

Probably. This is the one generation I can think of where the new consoles coming out barely caught up to current PC's and at the rate PC hardware progresses now they have already left the consoles behind in the dust. I'm already used to gaming at 1440p with high framerate, I shudder to think about what the gap between PC and consoles will look like in another 2 years yet alone end of generation

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By OrangeCrush

@pr1mus: Console gaming is for the rich? That has to be the single most ridiculous statement I have ever heard come out of gaming. First off, the price of retail games really hasn't changed in over 30 years. PC and console games back in the day were basically the same price we pay today, roughly $49.99-$59.99. I still own all of my original Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games from back in the day and they were all $59.99. That was the standard MSRP price back then, as can be verified by looking in any sierra catalog from back in the day. Same for console games. In fact, some console games even went higher than $59.99. N64 had notoriously high prices on some of its games.

Once you factor in inflation, people were basically spending roughly $120-$130 per game back in the day. The gaming market has basically been 100% immune from inflation, which ultimately means a couple of things. First, we are basically paying roughly 3-4% less for our games with each passing year as each passing year our money is worth 3-4% less. 2nd, the prices were paying today are dirt cheap compared to the prices people paid back in the day and that is a massive understatement.

Retail games today are MUCH bigger, far more complex, made by MUCH larger teams of people, and are just FAR more expensive to make than games used to be. Back in the day, games were made by small teams of people, sometimes as few as 2-3, and you didn't require game engines like Unreal or CryEngine 3. Once you consider that, along with inflation.....well, the fact that games are still in the $49.99-$59.99 price range is nothing short of a miracle. Gamers should be shouting from the rooftops in joy that they are only paying $49.99 to 59.99. On top of that, games go on sale MUCH faster and are discounted by much bigger margins than games used to be. You can find games 50% in as little as a few months and can find a wealth of older games in the $8-15 range. Plus gamers have the option to buy smaller indie style digital only games today which are FAR cheaper. Those kinds of games didn't exist back in the day. You had retail games only.

So to sum this all up, console gaming, and gaming in general, have NEVER been cheaper and that really is the understatement of the century. A person can buy a console and never spend more than $15-20 bucks on a game, which is insane when you stop and think about just what they are getting and how expensive gaming used to be. Not only are gamers paying FAR less, they are getting FAR more for their money. Consoles are only for rich people, lol. Now that is funny especially considering 51% of US households own a game console and those that do own an average of 2. Thats a lot of rich people if what your saying was even remotely true, which of course it isn't.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

@deshawn2ks: You're right. The new firmware for ps4 exposes more streams than before, but even the 350-650 people that stream Destiny, Gta five, call of duty, 90% have less than five viewers. Every other game on shelves has about 20-40 streams, and maybe two to three with significant viewers. A nice bonus feature for ps four but I'd rather have games with more characters on screen and smoother frame rates.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm just not fond of dicking around with minutia settings any time I get a finicky game not agreeing with my graphics driver or some such.

That isn't really a thing anymore. Well, it may be if you are trying to run games on an old laptop or something.