Your view of the current console race since launch?

• 179 results
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If my computer wasn't starting to become outdated and Bloodborne wasn't a thing I would have no real need to purchase a new console. As it stands now, the exclusives for both platforms seem sort of underwhelming.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mb said:

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

I'm just not fond of dicking around with minutia settings any time I get a finicky game not agreeing with my graphics driver or some such.

That isn't really a thing anymore. Well, it may be if you are trying to run games on an old laptop or something.

I agree, when you buy/build a new PC you just run everything on high/highest for a while, then mid settings, then either upgrade or run it on low. If you really want to dick around with settings than you can, but really it doesn't matter because as long as you've at least hit the low-mid settings at an acceptable framerate then chances are you've already got a better looking game than the PS4 version, and at a higher framerate too.

It's a really stark contrast, this console generation has only just begun and the PC is already about a generation ahead. And that gap is only going to widen.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By OrangeCrush

@mb: It really is. I see threads all the time on Steams forums regarding things like this and the people having issues aren't using old laptops. Dying Light is a perfect example. there were lots of people have issues with Dying Light.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By mike
@orangecrush said:

@mb: It really is. I see threads all the time on Steams forums regarding things like this and the people having issues aren't using old laptops.

The Steam forums are essentially a collection of places for people to complain, of course things are going to look bad. The majority of people who never have issues aren't going there to report that they aren't having a problem.

This notion that PC gaming is a constant struggle to get games working while also having to upgrade whenever a new big game comes out is something that hasn't been true in many years.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Belegorm

@orangecrush said:

@mb: It really is. I see threads all the time on Steams forums regarding things like this and the people having issues aren't using old laptops. Dying Light is a perfect example. there were lots of people have issues with Dying Light.

I mean when broken games launch broken, they're broken, simple as that. That's true for both PC games and console games: see Halo, Driveclub, and Unity. For console versions of games like Assassin's Creed, it's broken and you just accept it. But on PC at least people are able to try and fix it on their end.

Also software like the geforce experience helps to automatically configure games to work based on your hardware. Pretty much with PC gaming if your rig is reasonably recent and standard, then you shouldn't have many problems.

I think the real question is, if this is the last console generation, at what point does it end? I think it'll happen whenever a big publisher like Ubisoft runs some numbers, sees that the costs of developing console versions of PC games would outweigh how they would sell, and just release a statement that they're going to focus on PC gaming. Or PC gaming and mobile, like how Sega's doing, except Sega hasn't been relevant for years.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By OrangeCrush

@mb: I am not talking about random complaining. I am talking about posts regarding people have technical problems. Anyone who visits PC forums regularly, including Steam, knows this is still a legitimate issue with PC's. Again, Dying Light is a perfect example of a recently released PC game where people are having these kinds of issues.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangecrush: For sure, but (especially with newer releases), for a very, very small percentage of people, and more often than not it's a simple quick fix.

Shits gonna break whenever you have an open platform, but you do end up getting a better experience in games, and a much greater variety of them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mike

@orangecrush said:

@mb: I am not talking about random complaining. I am talking about posts regarding people have tehnical problems. Anyone who visits PC forums regularly, including Steam, knows this is still a legitimate issue with PC's.

That hasn't been my experience at all. But I really don't want to argue with you about your opinion, this isn't System Wars.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Belegorm

@mb: Oh man you just reminded me of that beautiful little shithole of vitriolic, juvenile fanboyistic hatred that was System Wars, circa 2006.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

@mb: Oh man you just reminded me of that beautiful little shithole of vitriolic, juvenile fanboyistic hatred that was System Wars, circa 2006.

It's still the same thing in 2015. That is all that is left of Gamespot's forums.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By OrangeCrush

@belegorm: I am not talking about broken games. I am simply talking about games that require the player to fiddle around with their gear to get it to work properly or games that have issues due to hardware configurations. Console gamers, for the most part, don't want to have to deal with that kind of stuff. they want to know they can put the game in and its going to run, without issue. that is a valid reason for a lot of people to pick console gaming over PC gaming and even tho things might be better today on this front, its still an issue with many games.

As for this being the last console generation, not a chance. this will be BY FAR, the most successful console generation to date. If you honestly think companies like Sony or MS are going to stop producing console hardware....well, it just isn't going to happen and as long as they coninue to build the platforms, the game companies will continue to develop games for them. Console aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Physical media might disappear eventually, but separate gaming platforms aren't going anywhere and in all honesty nobody should want them too. Its competition that drives innovation and keeps pricing down. A singular gaming system would be a terrible idea.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By OrangeCrush

@belegorm: Is that system wars forum still up and running? I could never stomach that forum for more than a few minutes at a time, but that forum kept a lot of nonsensical faboys out of other forums and that is ultimately a good thing.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Probably better resolution and more texture detail if you're lucky. Things you would only notice if you're looking for it. Look, games that look good are expensive. They cost the kind of money you can only recoup by selling on consoles. Besides, many of the AAA publishers have shown time and time again they don't care about the PC.

In my mind, games that will blow my mind visually on the PC compared to consoles will be as frequent as botched PC ports that bearly work.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#114  Edited By pr1mus

@orangecrush: Except that in Canada retail console games have gone up 20% (and soon 25%) in price in less than a year while my salary didn't change.

Since Steam started charging in Canadian dollars instead of US dollars we're actually paying less than before in most cases and most games haven't gone up in price nearly as much as their console counterparts and many of them actually went down artificially by charging the same amount in US and Canadian dollars. Most recent example for me is Resident Evil HD Remaster. 19.99$ US, 19.99$ Canadian. Most 20$ US games have been adjusted to 21.99$ even though at the current value of the Canadian dollar 20$ US is 25$ CAD. So even games that have been adjusted up on PC are cheaper than they would normally be.

But by all means continue to assume that everybody lives in the US and that prices are universal across the globe and that you also know my income and continue to "educate" me on prices and budgets...

Also i'd like to point out that despite your wall of text that started by saying my claim that console gaming is more expensive than PC gaming is ridiculous, you said absolutely nothing to disprove it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pyrodactyl: If I'm lucky huh, even this early in the generation it already holds true that nearly all multiplatform games will be at a higher resolution and better textures on PC. The gap is just going to be bigger and harder to ignore towards the end of this cycle when PC's will be running games at 4k like it's nothing. As for botched ports, they still exist but they're no longer exclusive to PC, the consoles get to join in on the fun of broken games too.

The difference this time is that publishers actually do care about the PC port by spending resources to fix all of the issues in a PC port versus just accepting it for what it is like in the past. They can no longer afford to give PC players the shaft now that the market has become so huge with no signs of slowing down

From Forbes

Despite a declining overall PC market, gaming systems are alive and well. So alive, in fact, that the PC gaming segment is already twice the size of the console gaming market – and growing. A report just released by John Peddie Research (JPR) claims that the PC gaming market will tip $21.5B this year and grow to over $23B in 2017.

OrangeCrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By OrangeCrush

@pr1mus: Well, first off anyone with more than a single brain cell can EASILY tell within a few sentences that I was speaking directly to the US gaming market. that being said, everything I said is still 100% relevant even in Canada. Even with a 25% hike in console game prices, your still WELL below the prices gamers were paying back in the day. Canadian inflation rates are very close to US inflation rates, so Canadian gamers were basically spending roughly $120 bucks per game back in the day. that 25% hike doesn't even come close to covering just inflation alone. So even with that 25% hike, gaming is still ridiculously cheap compared to what it used to be and your still getting FAR more in return than gamers used to. Not to mention, one can easily wait now and buy games for FAR less on sale, sometimes just a few weeks after launch.

In other words, I don't care where one lives, to suggest one needs to be rich to be a console gamer is absurd. Gaming has never been cheaper and again, that is really the understatement of the century. Don't get me wrong, nobody wants to see a 25% hike in prices, but having some perspective on the pricing in this industry will make you realize that even with those hikes, your getting a FAR better deal than gamers used to.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@mb: A full fifth of the games I try to run wind up with black screens because X developer doesn't support Y graphics card, or ZYB won't run because while I have enough RAMSES I don't have enough chupacabras or something. Look, the point is, I like putting a game into something and having it run. Well, most of the time, unless it's made by Ubisoft.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By pr1mus

@orangecrush: I feel like you are talking to a different person here.

Because i have made it very clear on two occasions now that i'm saying that PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming. Nothing more, nothing less. It was already the case a year ago, it is even more so here now that console games have gone up in prices more than their PC counterparts here specifically in Canada.

No, what you said it not at all 100% relevant in Canada and in fact none of it is relevant at all because you're addressing some imaginary post that talks about something completely different than what i wrote.

I'll put it in as simple terms as i can, maybe you'll understand this time. Today, it is cheaper to game on PC than on console in Canada. There. Third time's the charm?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Don't know where Forbes got those numbers but they're an oversimplification of the PC gaming market. By valve's own admission a large majority of steam users have terrible rigs that probably can't run this generation of games at all. When you're talking about this gigantic PC market, you're talking about the millions uppon millions of people playing minecraft, day z, counter strike, WoW, Dota, LoL, etc. We have no evidence of the wider adoption of AAA games in the PC space. Hell, the most frequent thing I hear from people mainly playing on PC is that they never buy games at full price and only pay 20 or 30 bucks for most big games a year down the line.

Finally, saying PC consumers don't get shafted anymore is ridiculous. Just this week resident evil came out without split screen on PC for no reason. I don't see this trend changing either. To some publishers the PC will always be a den of penny pinchers and pirates.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I hope things keep escalating and getting more competitive. I always buy all three major consoles every generation, and competition does nothing but benefit me. The deals are better, the exclusives are better, and I get to play all the games.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Don't know where Forbes got those numbers but they're an oversimplification of the PC gaming market. By valve's own admission a large majority of steam users have terrible rigs that probably can't run this generation of games at all. When you're talking about this gigantic PC market, you're talking about the millions uppon millions of people playing minecraft, day z, counter strike, WoW, Dota, LoL, etc. We have no evidence of the wider adoption of AAA games in the PC space. Hell, the most frequent thing I hear from people mainly playing on PC is that they never buy games at full price and only pay 20 or 30 bucks for most big games a year down the line.

Finally, saying PC consumers don't get shafted anymore is ridiculous. Just this week resident evil came out without split screen on PC for no reason. I don't see this trend changing either. To some publishers the PC will always be a den of penny pinchers and pirates.

And from Forbes again

In the Worldwide PC Gaming Hardware Market Report Series report, Ted Pollak, Senior Gaming Analyst at JPR claims that, “We continue to see a shift in casual console customers moving to mobile. While this is also occurring in the lower end PC gaming world, more money is being directed to mid and high range PC builds and upgrades by gamers.”

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with reported numbers and a more respectable source than someone who balks at reported numbers and is more prone to make sweeping generalizations based off console bias. Publishers' recent activities on the PC platform have been completely different to how they treated the platform in the past and if your example of publishers shafting PC players is a game with no split-screen then boy the PC market is doing better than ever. Split-screen itself is already starting to wane on consoles. If you refuse to acknowledge the shifting economics of the PC market in favor of console biased predictions then that's your problem and I'm going to quit while I'm ahead instead of trying to change stubborn opinions

PopeAnonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meh. Get back to me when Bloodborne is out. That's pretty much what I'm pegging all my hopes on at this point.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By pyrodactyl

@colourful_hippie: calm down with the character attacks buddy. Before you call me biased can you point to numbers showing the market share of PC on any AAA game? Everything I said in my previous post is true. The vast majority of people playing on PC are enjoying games like WoW, Counter strike, LoL, Dota and Minecraft. Indy, nich, MMO and F2P games have a much bigger user base on the platforme than the latest assassin's creed or CoD. Even if high end PC are more numerous than ever (I would hope they would be since we've been seeing large improvements in console sales this generation as well) there is no evidence that's translating into high, sustainable sales in the AAA space.

And about PC gamers getting shafted: Far Cry 4 being unplayable for some people in the first week, GTA 5 coming out 20 months after the first release and 5 months after the remastered version on new consoles, no version of destiny even though this kind of game works well on the platform, watchdogs was broken and didn't have PC features even though they were in the files. Do I need to keep going? Having 1 or 2 of these issues a year would be unacceptable in my mind on a machine I would've paid the equivalent of 3 PS4s for. Nevermind the constant stream of complaints I hear about this or that game year round from PC players while bearly paying attention.

Maybe publishers are doing better than before. That's, after all, a pretty low bar. It doesn't change the fact that PC is still third in the priority list most of the time in AAA game development. I'm not saying it's fair or even logical, this is just how it is.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I like to imagine I sometimes send MB into little apoplectic fits talking about consoles.

Uh, carry on.

Avatar image for themightyskullboy
TheMightySkullboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the forseeable future, it's all PC and Wii U for me. Even 3rd party exclusives will probably eventually have PC releases like Dead Rising 3. This, combined with all the bad news regarding internet issues, large installs, and broken games doesn't make me want to jump in on a PS4 or XBox One any time soon.

Plus I'm still batting cleanup on my 360 backlog.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

It's good to see everyone's feeling what I've felt about this generation and the lackluster games that have come along with it. (I only own a PC) I feel as if I haven't played any good games from the past 2 years. Only highlights in terms of big games have been Assassin's Creed Black Flag and DA: Inquisition (only the main quests/lore). Also, Risen 3.

Next good big games - GTA V and Witcher 3

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

There are no games yet that I feel like I need to play. The games I do want to play are superior on PC. I still play PS3/360 and have hundreds of games for those consoles of which at least 25 I want to play more. I am just waiting for a price drop and more games.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@belegorm said:

@mb said:

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

I'm just not fond of dicking around with minutia settings any time I get a finicky game not agreeing with my graphics driver or some such.

That isn't really a thing anymore. Well, it may be if you are trying to run games on an old laptop or something.

I agree, when you buy/build a new PC you just run everything on high/highest for a while, then mid settings, then either upgrade or run it on low. If you really want to dick around with settings than you can, but really it doesn't matter because as long as you've at least hit the low-mid settings at an acceptable framerate then chances are you've already got a better looking game than the PS4 version, and at a higher framerate too.

It's a really stark contrast, this console generation has only just begun and the PC is already about a generation ahead. And that gap is only going to widen.

I'm really surprised at how well my 2+ year old laptop is holding up (core i7 and gt650 m) I just finished DA: Inquisition at medium - high settings with a solid 40fps! Heck, even unity, with its terrible performance reputation, ran at medium @ 30fps

I thought this generation would bring my laptop to its knees, but thankfully that's not happened. Also, I seem to have some weird good luck with games performing smoothly when they shouldn't :P

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought a PS4 late last year, and it was okay. I was happy with the games that I've played. I've only had 2 PS4 exclusives thus far, being Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886. Both were okay games. Nothing spectacular to be honest. Honestly, the main reason I stuck with Sony was because of the Uncharted series and hopefully they'll be continuing more of last gen's series like Ratchet and Clank. Eventually, I would like to own an Xbox One. Sunset Overdrive seems like one hell of a game.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By coolarman

Well this thread seems to be going off the deep end. All I'll say is that thanks to ps+ I have found a great number of good indie games to play since the release of the ps+. I also finally played injustice: gods among us thanks to ps+ and found that to be a fun fighting game.

I'll just take the Dan Ryckert route and say "everything is going to be ok". Don't you guys worry, just stay positive.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure if it's life in general or something else, but I bought a PS4 and I've been happy with it. And reading this thread I realized I had completely checked out of thinking about "the race". In fact, I sometimes forget the Xbox One exists. If there ever comes exlusives to that consoles I can't live without I might get it. But as it stands, I'm pretty content being a one console guy. And the people I know all got PS4, so I guess I see it as Sony being ahead. But it's a very narrow view all things considered.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not worth getting into for X1 and PS4 as the games aren't there yet. Once Arkham Knight comes out that might change things a little. I'm still waiting for the PS4 + Vita + Mass Effect 4 bundle that has to happen.

Wii U has come of age since last year and this year it'll kill it with great games once again.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

A lot of laughable stuff in this comment. I'm not sure if you're just trolling, so I'll mainly comment on this.

Honestly, I just don't see Sony winning anything right now. Yes, the PS hardware is selling exceptionally well, but hardware sales are not where this business is won or lost. Last generation is the perfect example. the Wii trounced the PS3 and 360 in regards to hardware sales, yet didn't even come close to the kinds of profits the 360 or PS3 saw. Money in this industry is made on games, always has been and always will be. Well, with the modern gaming market its actually all about games and subscription services now (Xbox Live Gold, PS+, etc.). Overall hardware sales are really the least important statistic. Attachment rates and subscription rates are FAR more important. That being said, Sony has really fallen flat on its face thus far in regards to games for the PS4. Were now 15+ months in and Sony still doesn't have a AAA retail exclusive that isn't a remake of a PS3 game.

You're correct that attach rate is important. The PS4 isn't simply selling exclusives, they're also selling the same multiplatform games that Xbox One has. When NPD lists game sales, the majority of multiplatform games have the PS4 version outselling the Xbox One version. When Microsoft claims to have more game sales, that's Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined - still good overall, but disingenuous.

PS+ subscription numbers have also increased now that it's a requirement for online play.

This was on top of a nice steam of quality 3rd party releases including Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Diablo III, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, GTA V, Metro Redux, etc...

All of which also came out on PS4.

Even though I see the PS4 maintaining their lead throughout this generation, both consoles will do fine. A lot of what you say makes me think the Xbox 360 was your first console, and maybe even only console last generation, since you don't know much about gaming history. I'll point out the most obvious: avatars were Microsoft's answer to Miis.

Welvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Sony is winning. I am a biased, PS4 owner, no Xbox, but I thought I'd share some personal from-the-couch ownership experience, rather than talk sales figures or bring the PC into this.

The big games I've bought and thoroughly enjoyed so far are The Last Of Us Remastered and Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor. Some online discounted or "PSN-free" indie titles also get my dedicated gaming attention: Don't Starve, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac Rebirth. There are a whole bunch on my wish list to grab used when they dip under $20 or more: Alien: Isolation, Far Cry 4, Lords of the Fallen, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc. I'm a cheapskate and can wait, but it's good to know there's a fair amount to pick from. These other games on my radar are on Xbox as well, but three of these four run at lower resolution on Xbox One. Shadow of Mordor is also lower res on Xbox. That's pretty damning.

The upcoming PS4 exclusives have me excited: Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4, and [psuedo exclusive] No Man's Sky. The only exclusive on Xbox that has tickled my interest is Below, but it turns out that it will be available on PC (whoops I said I wasn't going to mention PC).

I was very much against joining PlayStation Plus as a die hard box product consumer, yet reluctantly joined at a discounted price. I don't regret my decision (also I want to play Bloodbourne online and get my steaming rump handed to me on a serving platter). The free games and PSN Plus discounts have been decent. It also seems that Sony has been pressured into having more frequent and diversified online sales and discounts. I'm in the dark about what the Xbox service is like, but from what I've read you get more "free" crud with the PlayStation paid service than with the Xbox paid service.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

As far as "the race" goes, it seems pretty clear that the PS4 is leading in sales, the Xbox One is doing well and the Wii U is hanging in there.

When it comes to my preferences, the Xbox One is my main gaming platform at the moment. That is likely to change back to the PC once I but a new GPU later on in the year, but for now I'm really happy with "the Xbone". It's got the exclusive franchises I care about, I prefer the controller over the DualShock 4, the UI is very well featured (and quite buggy) and the vast majority of my friends have stuck with the Live platform.

My PS4 hasn't gotten much use at all and I'm looking forward to E3 to see if Sony will announce some games that would interest me. At the moment No Man's Sky and Uncharted 4 are the only games I'm likely to buy for the system this year. The Wii U seems like a great deal for Nintendo fans, but for people like me who don't really care about Mario or Zelda games there isn't much appeal outside of Bayonetta 2.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#137 MattyFTM  Moderator

I've probably got about enough money to buy both right now. I could definitely buy one and a bucketload of games. I was planning on getting a PS4. Instead I'm opting to build a powerful PC. Neither console has the games right now to justify the purchase. Shadow of Mordor looks cool. Destiny is something I'd be interested in checking out. Sunset Overdrive looks awesome. That's about it. I'm better off spending the money on a PC.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Bloodborne.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion said:

@berserker976 said:
@zevvion said:

That's all added to the fact that the Xbox has more games for it. As shown before and as is being realized right now.

That's actually not what a fact is.

Yes, it is. The number of boxed exclusive games that released on the Xbox One was greater than the number that appeared on PS4. That is very much a fact. I assume you thought I said it had better games, but that's not what I meant.

No, it's not. You said the Xbox One had more games. That's not true: all released Xbox One games vs. all released PS4 games.

Also, I think this is relevant to this discussion: This is a big list of every game coming to the PS4 in 2015. (plus PS3 and Vita)

You are taking 'all released games'. That means games released on PC and PS4 will appear on that page. That's not what exclusive means, which is what I was talking about. Of course there are many somewhat obscure downloadable games on both platforms that I don't count.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to pick right now, Xbox all the way, which is amazing since I was on Sonys dick at the beginning of launch, their exclusives are just mediocre/bad as of now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: To be fair, you did say back on page one that "That's all added to the fact that the Xbox has more games for it." You didn't say exclusives, and you didn't mention that you don't count some "obscure downloadable games."

Spagooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The state of the current console race just tells me one thing. First impressions mean are everything. Sony certainly deserves the spot they are in. My one worry as that they have one or two more lackluster 1st party launches and things will change.

Microsoft is doing their thing. They have been doing a lot better but their problem is keeping exclusives let alone releasing good ones.

Nintendo...is Nintendo I can see them creeping into 2nd place the way they're going.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#143  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

I suppose that depends. For me the Wii U is currently the best, simply because the library of fun games that I can't play on the previous gen is biggest there. Between Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Mario 3D Worlds, ZombieU, Bayonetta 2 and Smash, it's a nice setup. Xbox has a slightly better set of games than Sony right now, if I'm being objective, but not by much. After all, Bloodborne is coming out very soon. I'm not currently willing to even give the Xbone serious consideration right now though, seeing as MS and I differ on philosophical matters. I actually purchased a PS4 only days ago, but I think of it as more of an investment towards future games than something I'm going to use a lot now. Plus, a friend was selling it for only 310 (counting tax), so that's not too bad a deal.

TL:DR
Wii U > PS4 > XboxOne

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armaan8014: I mean it only makes sense, I still know squat about the innards of computers (just buy what my friends tell me to), but I would be pretty sure that your computer is quite a bit more powerful than a PS4. And while in the future games will have stiffer requirements, you're still at least going to get them looking and running better than on console, especially considering games usually are more optimised down the line.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@mb said:

@zevvion: To be fair, you did say back on page one that "That's all added to the fact that the Xbox has more games for it." You didn't say exclusives, and you didn't mention that you don't count some "obscure downloadable games."

Matter of context. I was talking about exclusive games prior to that line. It's a continuation and that implies that I am still talking about that.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As someone with a PC capable of running any game that comes out for it at least as well as it runs on console, there is not a single game I care about on either the PS4 or xbox one yet.

90% of my purchases on the PS4 are cross-buy games I primarily play on the Vita. The only console I turn on at least once a week is my Wii U.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#147  Edited By notnert427

I think a bunch of people frankly have no idea what the current Xbox One is, and many simply don't care to know. The headline even now in the minds of most when they think about the Xbox One is "bungled launch, failed Kinect, worse graphics". That's an extreme disservice to the console. Microsoft, for all their PR missteps, has been incredibly responsive to feedback about the console. They have clearly been busting their ass to offset the disastrous PR with substance, in the form of seemingly countless little updates here and there that make the experience better. Owning an Xbox One has been a series of pleasant surprises as minor qualms constantly get addressed and existing features improve. "Oh, I have HBO GO now? Nice." "External hard drive support? Awesome." "Hey, they made the Game DVR have more features and record longer. Cool." "Ah, the snap interface got quicker and easier. That'll be huge for the Kinect-less versions." "Custom backgrounds and less-obtrusive tiles? Sweet." Etc., etc.

Much of this stuff simply isn't known to people who don't have an Xbox One. I've had one since launch, and it's been fun watching the console keep getting better and better. The initial Kinect wonkiness has been ironed out to where I'm surprised if a voice command doesn't work now. There are now more apps than I have time to use, spanning interests far beyond mine. The features they've added have been incredibly useful, and many proactively addressed issues that weren't bothersome to me, but made something noticeably better/faster anyway. The Microsoft store has also been pretty aggressive in putting games on sale, and if you're paying attention, you can catch some steals on games, even digital games. Overall, the console has really grown on me, to the point of now being my favorite console ever, despite being a very nostalgic guy with some real soft spots for the 360 and PS2. The Xbox One just does so much, and the seamlessness of flipping between everything with a few voice commands greatly appeals to my love of multitasking.

As far as games go, Forza Horizon 2 is about as good as exclusives get. It unfortunately seems like a bunch of people aren't into racing games, which is a damn shame. I'm not even sure you have to like racing games to enjoy Horizon 2, though. I'm a car guy, but my artistic side gets gleefully lost in creating liveries to where I have as much fun doing that as I do racing. Enough on that, though. Sunset Overdrive isn't my taste, but a bunch of people seem to love it and I'm glad it exists. Also, Titanfall is an enjoyable game. Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct seemed to meet expectations. The same goes for D4. Forza 5 and Ryse needed some more depth, but were both fully competent launch games that still look decidedly "next-gen". And finally, the MCC, while disappointing for its persistent multiplayer issues, still represents a great overall gaming value in terms of content, especially given the apology freebies. As such, claims of "no exclusives" are weak. The Xbox One offers decent to great games in multiple genres, so unless you simultaneously aren't into racing games, platformers, mechs, zombies, fighting games, Swery weirdness, hack-n-slashers, or arguably the greatest FPS series ever, attempts to ignore all these games at the same time rings pretty hollow and reads like typically ill-informed, dismissive internet bullshit. (As an aside, the Wii U is doing a pretty solid job with their exclusives as well, so that bears mentioning.)

As for cross-platform games, it's pretty clear now that the PS4 is capable of the best console graphics. IMO, the differences are pretty marginal, though. You'll get more/better grass on a few games and a slightly more realistic/washed-out color palette, depending on how you look at it. It's not a big deal to me, but it is to some. Although I'd contend that if you're that into graphics, you probably ought to just buy a PC and become one of the insufferable folks who spend their time incessantly looking down their nose at the consoles while patting themselves on the back over what high-end PCs can theoretically do provided a game is well-optimized, even if their own PC can't actually run the games and/or settings they're boasting about. The games on the Xbox One generally run and look perfectly fine, as they should. The same goes for the PS4 and Wii U, from what I've seen. However, if you simply can't handle anything below 1080p/60fps, do everyone a favor and don't buy a console. Better yet, leave the console gamers to theirs and quit going out of your way to shit on other gaming mediums as if "PCs have the best graphics" is news to fucking anyone. I digress. In short, what I'm saying is that WAY too much has been made of the graphics in this generation. There are multiple games out now on every console that look absolutely "next-gen".

Much of the initial bad press on the Xbox One was well-deserved with the policy-waffling and generally incompetent PR, but a year and a half later, anyone who's still clinging to that as their rationale for crapping on the system is pretty damn petty and/or uninformed. For some reason, people seem to really enjoy criticizing Microsoft, I guess out of some lame anti-corporation sentiment or something. Presenting people with that opportunity initially has resulted in the Xbox One continuing to not really get a fair shake overall, IMO. The PS4 is still outselling it by a fair amount, for reasons that seem based more upon perception than the reality of the present time. Perhaps people are counting on Sony eventually coming through, because on paper, it absolutely does have the most potential of the consoles. However, it hasn't realized that potential in a lot of respects so far, probably because Sony doesn't have much incentive to work on it when it continues to sell well. Games-wise, it may well become much more attractive in short order if Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Uncharted, etc. meet expectations, but it's falling more and more behind in terms of features. I'm actually looking for a reason to buy one and probably will the day GT7 comes out, but were I a current PS4 owner, I'd be miffed at Sony for sitting on their laurels a bit. It's entirely possible, maybe even probable that Microsoft would have done the same in that position, but MS being backed into a corner a bit has certainly paid huge dividends for the Xbox One.

FWIW, I've got no real interest in tearing down other consoles, and I've never been a post-purchase rationalization kind of guy. I just really like the Xbox One on its own merit. The PS4 remains the best graphical console option, and the Wii U seems to be doing a good job for the most part utilizing their properties and giving their fanbase what they want, so the other consoles have their appeal as well. In general, I think the consoles take too much shit, with the Xbox One being the most prominent example. The irrational Xbox hate thankfully isn't as pronounced here on GB as it is elsewhere, but the "PC master race" contingent is sadly pretty vocal. I don't really get the appeal of trashing other forms of gaming, but that's just me. Let's note that we're still pretty early in this console cycle as well, so any "verdicts" at this point about this console generation (including everything I just posted) are a bit premature. I seem to recall this same "disappointment" at this point in the last-gen cycle, and the one before that, and so on. Yet, by the end, most of these consoles had a bunch of classics which barely resembled early/launch stuff. I expect the same this generation, and they're mostly off to a good start overall. JMOs (and long ones at that), but thanks in advance to those who read and consider some of this.

esuing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny is the game that pushed me over the edge. It was truly the only game I felt I HAD to play immediately, and of course, it was one of the few that didn't come to PC. So I bought a PS4 to play it, knowing it had the best hardware (design if not performance) and eventually the games would come.

I then bought an Xbox One for the MCC (with Sunset Overdrive being a nice perk). I love the Halo series so getting an Xbox was inevitable.

Since then, both consoles have been extremely disappointing. I haven't touched my PS4, hoping that Bloodborne gives me a reason too. I'm not even sure what the next game will be that'll get me excited to play my Xbox... though I know I'll definitely enjoy the new Crackdown, Halo, and Gears games when they come around. I can't help but regret the PS4 purchase with their exclusives being severe disappointments... Destiny was the only game I played on it, and I'm done with that now.

Everything I can get on my PC I do. It's a more powerful machine for me, the modding community is awesome, Steam is WAY better than either Xbox Live or PSN (and it's not even close), their sales are incredible, and all the indie games come to PC first.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In general, I think the consoles take too much shit, with the Xbox One being the most prominent example... ...I don't really get the appeal of trashing other forms of gaming, but that's just me. Let's note that we're still pretty early in this console cycle as well, so any "verdicts" at this point about this console generation (including everything I just posted) are a bit premature. I seem to recall this same "disappointment" at this point in the last-gen cycle, and the one before that, and so on. Yet, by the end, most of these consoles had a bunch of classics which barely resembled early/launch stuff. I expect the same this generation, and they're mostly off to a good start overall.

What This Guy/Gal said. We're off to a good start. I would say a great start. But that's me.