Explain your Giant Bomb username and avatar image!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Used to be "Shaggy", a nickname a friend had given me. It was taken on a forum where I had signed up, so it became "Shagg E". Most usernames don't allow for spaces, so I changed it to "ShaggE" and that stuck. When "ShaggE" is already taken, I add either "1771" or "21" to it. Neither number really means anything.

My avatar is (currently) Marilyn Manson, of whom I'm a big fan. Been thinking about changing it back to Freddy Krueger, of whom I'm a massive fan. Also I get bored of avatars quickly, so none stay all that long. I'm sure it pisses off those who look at avatars instead of names for identification. Sorry about that...

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

"Yakusoku"

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Me and a friend tried to come up with a gamertag for the original Xbox Live. Was already taken and the suggestions put a 15 on the end, so I went with that.

Avatar is Altair lookin' cool in the rain. Just went with it and haven't really changed it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Brendan

Username: Me.

Picture: Me.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My nickname is the name of a collection of music I made with sinusoidal tempos. Or, if you want to get technical, it's the adjective form of sinusoid - which is another name for a sine wave. It's pronounced "sign you soy dull", not "sign us soy dull" which I hear sometimes including from Jeff when they played my game jam game on The Big Show.

My avatar is the cover of a demo I made sometime around 2002 called "M.C. Escher vs Equal Loudness Curve" for which I superimposed a painting of the former over a graph of the latter in Photoshop.

You can hear a couple of tracks off the Sinusoidal album here and here. I've never uploaded anything off MCEvsELC. I probably should sometime. There's some messed up goodness on that one.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Zella

I liked Zell from Final Fantasy 8 a lot when I was a kid, added an "a" and just used it for a while. Stopped using it a couple years ago.

Avatar is Batman being Batman, can't remember what specific issue it was from.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#57 jeanluc  Staff

My name is Jean-Luc. My avatar comes from the fact that I was named after Jean-Luc Picard. Also in the image Picard is wearing N7 armor, combining two of my favorite sci-fi universes.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to have a job were I setup office cubicles and other general office furniture. I was real good at breaking into cabinets that people had lost the keys too so one guy started calling me DaddyCabinet. I know it doesn't make a bunch of sense but we use to work a lot of hours and everybody was kinda nuts. The icon is from the opening cutscene of Dwarf Fortress. Game of the year every year.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Aegon

Aegon is a name that's used quite a bit in the Targaryen family line (from Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones), such as Aegon (I) the Conqueror and Aegon (V) the Unlikely. It doesn't represent any specific one. The avatar is...well you know. I'm excited for the game and Soejima is one of my favourite artists.

Edit: Oh and my username used to be H2Oyea before I changed it. Water is my preferred drink.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Belegorm

The image is well... Alucard. Or Dracula spelled backwards. This comes from the 1943 film, "Son of Dracula." Obviously it got used for the character we all know and love in Castlevania 3, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Oh, and the AoS/DoS games as well.

Belegorm is... when I was 13 I was creating my forum username/RP character for this roleplaying forum called "LotR fanatics plaza" or something, I tried to remember the name of this cool, but minor character in LotR. The actual name is Beregrond, but somehow I forgot that, and the misspelled name stuck. Also Beregrond ended up not being in the film adaptations at all :(

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Name: Just one of many that I used to use on GameTrailers over five years ago. It's not even my main online alias anymore and I haven't even posted let alone visited that site in over three years.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine's pretty standard. Dadjumper is the name I use pretty much everywhere these days, and comes from the fact that I wear a lot of jumpers fitting for a dad and/or that I got from my actual dad.

My avatar is a picture of me drawn by a friend

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think I've explained it somewhere here, years and years ago. Whatever. TwoLines- I drew a lot of black and white things back in the day, and since the pictures were compromised of two "colors," lines of color, I started using TwoLines, or TL, as an internet nickname.

The avatar is something I drew- a guy called the Burned Man, he's a character from one of my favorite games; Fallout New Vegas. Check that game out, it's fantastic.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I was playing SOCOM II under the name n00dles_g4 (Yikes.) and, since I was in one of the higher ranked clans at the time, wanted to have a more original name. I was also playing Psi-OPS around then which had a power called "Aura View" and I saw a .hack game on a nearby OPM issue or something, so I put the two together. "aura" and "hack". Only, like an idiot, I spelled it as "Aura H A C K" in-game. The all-capitalized 'hack' stuck around until maybe four years ago until I just lowercased it all the time.

My avatar is a self-portrait that I drew. :]

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duluoz is the last name of Jack Duluoz, one of the names that Jack Kerouac uses for the fictionalized version of himself in his works. I like his books.

Image is a German Lancer from the first world war. I like the incongruity of a cavalryman with a lance and a gas mask.

ayyitsgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gray is my first name

"metal gere!?"

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dammit I came here to find that dude with the Werner avatar but he hasn't posted yet :p.

Gamefreak9 is kind of an old user name that stuck with me. So i'm half Greek-Cypriot and half French. So the nickname kids called me in my first english speaking school was freak(its kind of clever actually). I kind of owned that name when I was young, I even introduced myself as "freak" sometimes. Anyway's when I went to go make a starcraft 1 account for bnet I went through freak1-9 but they were all taken. I then edited the first part of the word to gamefreak and kept the 9(I was going to go in reverse order now) and I clicked create and BAM, the magical doors of bnet were open to me.

My avatar is me in my favorite Batman shirt the last time I ever wore it. Lost it somewhere... Its got some sentimental value for me so i have it in my pictures on my computer. I just decided to upload it cause its basically the only picture of me I have on my computer.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few years ago, the internet sent an old man a whole bunch of birthday cards. This image of him at his party showed up, but nobody seemed to think it was terribly special, except for me. As for my name, it's just what I strive to be, and far too rare a thing on the internet.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody who has watched the GOTY 2014 Giant Bomb stuff knows what my icon is from.

I came up with my user name back when I was 13, using a shitty online language translator before Google translator existed. It was supposed to mean "firedemon" in Japanese where "kasai" meant "fire", and "oni" meant "demon". Pretty sure oni means demon in Japanese, but I don't think kasai means fire. And I'm pretty certain that those two words together in Japanese do not mean firedemon. But I used the name for so long for internet stuff that I stuck with it. Can't think of anything better.

Weebo culture is for jerks.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By Hunter5024

Years and years ago I had an assignment to make a quick video in flash. I really didn't want to draw anything so I decided to use sprites for my characters instead. I edited a bunch of Pokemon Pearl sprites because they were the right size and had enough detail to work with. When I made an account here I decided to use one of the sprites for my avatar because it was unique and vaguely video gamey. I'm also very lazy, and I think a consistent avatar is good for helping people recognize you, so I've never changed it. I wish I had the skills to make my own original pixel art so I could do a new one. I should at least change the color, because my picture kind of blends in with the default avatar.

Also Hunter is my last name, and the numbers after it have mysterious significance to me and my circle of friends. I just realized I never noticed when I hit 5024 posts and I can never get that moment back.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad's username for everything is Itdongo as in "It Don't Go". I was looking for a good username and he suggested "It Won't Go". I thought his name was a reference to "how do you turn this on" from AOE II which we played a lot together (it was actually because he was really bad at Need for Speed). My picture is from my time spent on another forum. When I joined, everyone was way into avatars of the fsjal meme, so I made one based off the Gentle-Mann of Leisure from TF2 comics and I haven't changed it since.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really like owls and think the idea of a confused owl is cute, thus the name. My old username was Ezakael but I changed it because I started to dislike it after using it on several websites. ConfusedOwl is what I go by on most places I frequent nowadays.

My friend linked me an image of an owl wearing hipster glasses on facebook. Thought it would be a cool avatar.

markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard of Giantbomb soon enough to get "Mark" as my username - and I still like the basic avatar image :3

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#75  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By bushpusherr

I once pushed a man into a bush. I was pronounced Bush Pusher. The extra 'r' at the end is because I used to abuse 1-month free trials of xbox live and when I finally ponied up and settled on a permanent account I was on my second iteration of "bushpusher" so I had to differentiate. For uniformity it's now the name I use for just about everything. PSN, Steam, etc.

My picture is of me with a pretty healthy beard.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane is my real first name and 122 is just something I've used since my first email account. The avatar is just the character Bane from DC Comics.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a cool/dumb teen, me and my group of friends liked to pretend we were in a blood thirsty suburban gang called the River Park Fairy Ponies (RPFP!) We all took dumb gang names and koolaid was mine. These names naturally transitioned into becoming our Counter Strike handles and I just kept it out of habit. Though the username is usually taken because it's not really unique.

As for Mayor Haggar, I think once I did a google image search on 'video games' and this picture popped up for some reason. I thought it was pretty funny/appropriate to have Mike Haggar represent all of video games, so I just rolled with it.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 random words. Related picture.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like bunnies.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

big wwe fan its the name of a move and my birth year.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

My name's taken from a location in some game that I was playing when I joined GB.

There's no real significance to my avatar, other than the fact that I just like the colour.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

My name comes from the randomly generated names when I was picking my Xbox Live name. I thought "ArbitraryWater" was pretty funny, so it stuck. My avatar is Sandro, because Heroes of Might and Magic is pretty great.

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By moondogg

Everyone outside my family calls me Moondogg, or some variation of that. Moon, Moonman. I got it in highschool, because of my pale complexion. Instead of Sunbathing, I must have moonbaked instead.

Avatar is from a TISM (an Australian band) song. 'Greg the stop sign'. It's hard to say what that song is about. But the phrase 'greg the stop sign', contained in the song is from a road safety campaign through the ninties. I guess they were making fun of it.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My username is my name spelled backwards, Emmanuel Z. I ended up with that name because other permutations or spellings of my real name were already taken. I am aware that it is hard to pronounce. This will sound weird but it was an attempt at creating my own brand. Not many names start with the letter "Z". It's was a way to stand out on the interwebs. It is also my username for: Deviant Art, Twitter, Facebook, PSN and my online portfolio.

My avatar is a self portrait in vector art. The art style was inspired by Tron and Transformers. It was a way to showcase my illustration and graphic design skills.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

I'm an idiot, so my username is simply that of a Song of Ice and Fire character (Game of Thrones). You know, valar morghulis.
Wish I could change it again, but I spent my one "change username token" already :/

My avatar however is actually a picture of me. Sure, it was run through one of those "make you appear older" apps a few years ago. The result looked actually natural, which you can't really say those apps do very well. So I use it almost everywhere now, so that I won't forget it. Must see if I look like that when I get old.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an idiot, so my username is simply that of a Song of Ice and Fire character (Game of Thrones). You know, valar morghulis.

Hey! That's not nice.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Milkman was something I started using in middle school as a screen name after one of my friends offhand called me "the milkman" once for whatever reason. Kind of hate it now but I feel stuck with it.

My avatar is Bayley hugging a rabbit because Bayley is the best.

No Caption Provided

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#89  Edited By doctordonkey

Just trust me, I'm a doctor. Although, I can sometimes be a bit of an ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Name's Village_Guy, I had to switch schools some years back so one of my new friends called me Village Guy, since I came from a smaller school in a small town to a school in the city.

My avatar image is Rainbow Dash, even though she isn't my favorite Pony (that is Twilight Sparkle), I like the saluting pose a lot - and I kinda don't want to change it now after all these years.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Shindig

Shindig is the name I've always went with since I could first get on the internet. Its usually left untouched so I grab it on forums whenever I can. The avatar is from Kevin Keegan's infamous television rant from 1995 when Newcastle's massive lead at the top of the league was being eroded by an advancing Man Utd. It was the best of times. Times we're unlikely to see again.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By hugh_jazz

I was about 11 and not a native English speaker, came up with what I thought was a pretty clever play on words. I'm still paying for my mistakes, and having spent more than halv of my life with this handle it's kind of too late to change it now.

And my avatar is a picture of my actual face.

HotelDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

HotelDon is a reference to the game Hotel Dusk: Room 215. People on twitter and elsewhere occasionally confuse me for an actual hotel.

Also, I really liked Cain in the original release of the Binding of Issac, and I thought his unlock picture was really cool so I made it my avatar.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually a copy of Otogi 2 for the original Xbox. Why didn't y'all buy me? You sure love your Dark Souls!

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My username is "digitality" abbreviated. I think it was already taken first time I applied for Xbox Live so it has stuck since.

Avatar is from the movie There Will Be Blood. A favourite of mine.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96  Edited By poobumbutt

Name: A long time ago, when Youtube was just crawling out of the internet's primordial ooze, I wanted to watch a video of a lion owning some wildebeast or whatever, but it was age-gated. With absolutely no intention of ever using it to any great degree, I created a quick account put together for the short-term purpose of watching lion videos. When entering the username, I didn't much care what my name was, so I typed the first thing that came to mind, which was "poo". I wasn't very surprised that it was taken, but I was slightly more so when "poobum" was as well. Then, I thought "there is no way in all of the sane world that someone else has thought up "poobumbutt" as a username." I was correct, and liked the stupidity of it so much, that YT account is now in constant use and I've kept the name for other sites - like this one - and the rest is history.

Avatar: I just really, really, really like Ladd Russo from Baccano. Haven't changed it as it seems fitting somehow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s my Xbox/PSN/Steam/everything name. Kam is my name just abbreviated, I was going to use JustKam originally but it was taken so I went for JustKamToo.

Avatar is from Rakugaki Showtime the main character rakugaki who I always liked.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#98  Edited By SubwayD

The user name came from a second-hand recount of the Subway Diet marketing campaign that was ran by Subway. My brother was living in America at the time and he told me all about this dumb series of adverts running on TV about this fat guy, Jared, who ate nothing but subway. Shockingly, the dude didn't die or anything. The thing that stuck out and pretty much made this my default gaming/forum user name was that in one of the ads someone shows up and supposedly claims "Lookin' buff, Jared!", which was hilarious to me for some reason.

I wonder if they're on Youtube or something? Coming up for 15 or so years and I've never seen the advert in question. :P

As for my user icon. I have a friend who worked in the comic industry in the 80s/90s who worships the whole Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane art style. So, I just had to have a portrait of myself done.

werewolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By werewolves

werewolves are cool and i was amazed this wasn't already taken

the avatar is something i used for myself in a drawful match and it's meant to be a place holder till i make/find something better

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus_Phish is something I came up with when I was about 15 hanging out in a green near a friends house. He had a neighbour who drove a car that had one of those "Jesus Saves Fish" emblems on the back of it that I always called a "Jesus Fish". "Hey that guy has a Jesus Fish on his car". I just changed the spelling of Fish to Phish. At the time I was unaware of the shitty stoner jam band of the same name because stoner jam bands aren't a thing in Ireland.

The avatar is a cropped picture of Donald from the webcomic Dark Legacy Comics, which is a WoW comic that is really very good. Donald is the "keyboard turner" character who always stands in the fire and is just meant to represent the worst players of the game, but he's a sweet guy at heart who is genuinely trying his best. He's a nice guy, just a little slow but he still enjoys the game. He's never mean to anyone. He's a cool dude.