An Ocarina is a wind instrument similar in nature to a flute. They have a bulbous body shape and a mouthpiece that protrude from the side. The average ocarina features between four and twelve finger holes and is most commonly made of ceramic material.
In Video Games
In video games, the ocarina is most commonly associated with The Legend of Zelda franchise as an important item in both The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. In Ocarina of Time, Link receives the Fairy Ocarina from his friend Saria. This Ocarina has no magical ability whatsoever, except for an effect triggered by one song. Later, Link receives the Ocarina of Time from Zelda. The various songs played on this Ocarina have an affect on the world, such as changing the time and weather, or warping the user to another location.
In The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Link uses the Ocarina of Time once again to affect the nature of the world. Each mask that tranforms him into different creatures also transforms the Ocarina into a different instrument.
The Ocarina of Time can play the following songs:
- Zelda's Lullaby: Zelda's Lullaby is the first song taught in Ocarina of Time. This song can be used to prove that Link is an envoy of the royal family, and can cause a change in the world when played on or near a Triforce symbol.
- Saria's Song: This song calls Link's friend Saria for advice. It also helps Darunia cheer up when he is faced with a Goron problem.
- Sun Song: This song changes the time to midnight or noon, depending on whether it is day or night.
- Song of Storms: This song causes a thunderstorm to start in the sky above Link's head.
- Epona's Song: This song summons Link's horse, Epona.
- Song of Time: This song opens the gate to the Triforce in the Temple of Time, and can also change the location of certain blocks in dungeons. In Majora's Mask, Link must use this song to reset the game's timer back to the beginning of the first day.
- Minuet of Forest: This song warps Link to the Forest Temple.
- Bolero of Fire: This song warps Link to the Fire Temple.
- Serenade of Water: This song warps Link to the Water Temple.
- Nocturne of Shadow: This song warps Link to the Shadow Temple.
- Requiem of Spirit: This song warps Link to the Spirit Temple.
- Prelude of Light: This song warps Link to the Temple of Time.
The following songs are in Majora's Mask only:
- Song of Double Time: Playing each note of Song of Time twice allows Link to warp forward in time.
- Inverted Song of Time: Playing the Song of Time backward slows down the passage of in-game time; playing it a second time reverses the flow of time to normal.
- Song of Soaring: Allows Link to warp between Owl statues he has found in the overworld.
- Song of Healing: Calms troubled or sorrowful individuals, puts the soul of troubled spirits into masks.
- Oath to Order: Summons the Four Giants when played at the right moment.
- Sonata of Awakening: Open's the Woodfall Temple when played on Deku Pipes.
- Goron Lullaby: Puts various Goron characters to sleep when played on the Goron Drums.
- New Wave Bossa Nova: Allows access to the Great Bay Temple when played on the Zora Guitar.
- Elegy of Emptiness: Creates a statue copy of Link up to four times with each transforming mask.