Resistance: Retribution takes place between Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2. It takes on a third person perspective and was developed by Sony Bend, makers of the Syphon Filter series. You play as former British Marine, James Grayson.
After James undergoes a personal tragedy where he must kill his own brother inside a Chimeran conversion center, he sets out to destroy every conversion center he can find. Eventually Grayson discovers his efforts have been futile because the Chimera have developed a new type of conversion center in Western Europe. Then a European resistance named the Maquis reach out to Grayson and he joins two British officers, Cartwright and Parker, in Operation Overstrike. Their squad will lead the attempt to take back the European Continent.
Enemies and weapons from both Resistance and Resistance 2 will be in Resistance: Retribution.
Weapon wheel 1:
- BM001 Razor (eventually replaced with BM003 Razor)
Weapon wheel 2:
Multiplayer includes all single player weapons (but some of them work differently than usual) as well as the following weapons:
- Allure (grenade launcher with proximity mine secondary fire)
- Longbow (railgun)
- Plasma Grenades (grenades that stick to surfaces rather than bouncing off them)
Differences between SP and MP versions of weapons:
- The Fareye sniper rifle secondary fire button obviously doesn't slow down time for everyone, but it does slow down any opponent you are looking at through the scope, as well as disable that person's auto-aim. Furthermore if a teammate kills the opponent while you were slowing down time for that player, you get Kill Assist points even if you did not damage that player.
- The BM001 Razor has a 60 round clip instead of the normal 45 round clip and has a much faster rate of fire than in SP.
- Chaingun's auto-aim is disabled when the shield is activated.
- Storm rifle (your default weapon in SP and MP) can carry a maximum of only one grenade round instead of 3.
- You can carry only 2 throwing grenades instead of 3. However this doesn't include Plasma grenades which you can carry 2 of. So technically you can carry 4 grenades. (2 of each)
- Team Deathmatch (TDM)
- Capture the Flag (CTF)
- Containment (CNT)
- Assimilation (ASM)
- Free for All (FFA)
PlayStation 3 Connectivity
If a player owns Resistance 2, they can plug their PSP into their PS3 to play the Infected Mode. This lets you play as an infected version of James who even has some new voice overs. You get a new uniform, weapons, and access to new Chimera areas. You can also breathe underwater and regenerate health. This mode is lost after turning off the PSP.
PSP Go gives you the option to play the game with the Dual Shock 3 controller. This gives the player rumble, but disables aim assists.