Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

38 Studios

Company »

38 Studios was a Rhode Island-based developer/publisher, founded by Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling.

38 Studios Skips Payroll in Favor of Paying Back State [UPDATED]

takkun169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By takkun169

$75 million and ~400 people couldn't make a game in 6 years. Sounds like Duke Nukem forever. A group that set no goals and wasted everything they had."

The studio has not been here for 6 years. It's only been a year and a half!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#252  Edited By CaLe

@takkun169 said:

Curt Schilling is such an insufferable dick hole. A few years ago he was quoted as saying that America is in a really tough spot and it is up to the individual to pull up their boot straps and make an effort to improve their own situation and in turn the state of the country will in turn improve. Only now that his company, that I am now on the hook for paying for (I live in Rhode Island), is falling apart, he goes crying to the government for help.

Piece of shit rich republicans like this fucker complain all day about poor people getting government assistance all the while they use the government to line their pockets.

I didn't know he was a dirty republican on top of it all!! What a turd hole!

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#253  Edited By Deusoma
    @AxleFGK said:

look, Amalur:Reckoning was definitely disappointing (4 stars my ass Jeff!). But they don't deserve THIS!

it's a shame.

To me, Reckoning was great, but nobody deserves this. I don't usually find myself 50/50 in agreement with a comment. It is a curious sensation.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#254  Edited By Jayzilla

The check cleared. GameSpot was good enough to update the news article all the way through to conclusion.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By mordukai

@Demoskinos said:

Man, that sucks. Didn't much like KoA but people losing their jobs and not getting paid sucks no matter what.

Not for Curt. He used the loan money to pay himself back on the money he personally invested in the company. So now the Rhode Island tax payers are left with the bill because if this thing defaults...Lets just say Curt's money is safe. He needs to step down. He has no clue how to manage a company. To be fair it's not just his fault. The people that made this deal with him are also at fault for putting the people of Rhode Island in such a shitty situation.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#256  Edited By musubi

@mordukai: I wasn't speaking about the monkeys in suits making the decisions. I'm talking about the people who actually WORK there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#257  Edited By Humanity

@Deusoma said:

@AxleFGK said:

look, Amalur:Reckoning was definitely disappointing (4 stars my ass Jeff!). But they don't deserve THIS!

it's a shame.

To me, Reckoning was great, but nobody deserves this. I don't usually find myself 50/50 in agreement with a comment. It is a curious sensation.

Kingdoms of Amalur was basically Diablo 3 but a lot more fun to play with actual quests and shit. Hey, whatever.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By mordukai

@Demoskinos: Oh I know. I was merely commenting about Curt pays himself back on an investment from loaned money. Load of his mind. He gets his money back (probably with some interest) while the rest of the employees get to miss a paycheck. I don't know how the money issues are handled but doesn't investment means that there a chance you are not gonna see it ever again?

Oh well. Good to know that the people of Rhode island payed Curt his money back while the rest of the employees get to go home empty handed. Jees...What a cluster fuck for everyone.

PS: I guess the guy that made the deal with 38 Studio has stepped down.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By dvorak

Well I'd say that they're pretty much dead. At this point they'd be lucky if their creditors will let them sell everything off to another studio,Realtime Worlds style. Hopefully in order to avoid bankruptcy instead of because of it though.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
    BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not good... at all.

LathamVance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By LathamVance

What I find so funny about this whole thing is that Curt Schilling has stated numerous times over the course of the last decade that he is an avid republican and doesn't believe that the government should be bailing out companies...and then he goes to the RI statehouse and asks for more money. While I don't really care what his personal beliefs are, I just find that funny. That said, I do hope that things turn around for 38 Studios.

DS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By DS23

lulz @ no funds.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@LathamVance said:

What I find so funny about this whole thing is that Curt Schilling has stated numerous times over the course of the last decade that he is an avid republican and doesn't believe that the government should be bailing out companies...and then he goes to the RI statehouse and asks for more money. While I don't really care what his personal beliefs are, I just find that funny. That said, I do hope that things turn around for 38 Studios.

That is the definition of avid Republican. Holy than thou until the shit comes around full circle. Then it's hypocrisy time...

inspectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By inspectah

Rich im pretty sure there is always a home for him in GB HQ

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#265  Edited By FakeKisser

@Demoskinos said:

Man, that sucks. Didn't much like KoA but people losing their jobs and not getting paid sucks no matter what.

My sentiments exactly. It's inevitable in a capitalist society that companies fail. It's a sort of capitalist "survival of the fittest." With only so much money in gamers' pockets (and only so much time on gamers' clocks) and so many games being made, some studios will shut down due to lack of success. However, this is a very sad circumstance with the loan and a state (gov't) involved...and add onto that employees missing paychecks in order to try to keep their jobs. :(

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#266  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

The State of Rhode Island should just finish the game

But in all seriousness, sucks for the employees and taxpayers

Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#267  Edited By Zenthere

Lets just hope future game studios learn from this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.