Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Are you an Achievement Whore?

• 130 results
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Personally I go after achievements because they give me great little goals to go after but I'm not really worried about collecting as many achievements or as much gamerscore as possible. I have seen a lot of people who are obssessed with achievements and that's fine for them but I often find that purely going after achievements ruins overall gameplay.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By suneku

I wouldn't consider myself an achievement whore, but I do like to do them and they do sway me to play certain games or to replay certain games. But I won't play a complete sack of crap just for achievements.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#103  Edited By SSbabel

I don't mind getting points, but i had to create a new account because my other one couldn't log online and i lost like 7000 points.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Ive played avatar. Enough said.
    Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Stray

Somewhat. I will play some games that are easy points. But when those games are so terrible that you're hating life about 3 hours in, I don't continue to play them. I could easily put another 3 hours into a game and get the full 1000 instead of 500, but I can't be bothered. But I will play games for some easy points.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Philantrophy

No, but I love achievements.....

OblivionGuy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#107  Edited By OblivionGuy07

no

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#108  Edited By albedos_shadow

Yes. But don't tell anyone.

Segaswirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Segaswirl

My gamerscore is sittng at just over 30,000 but I dunno... I wouldn't say I was an achievement whore. I mean, I only really play the games I like... and if it's a game I really really like then sure, i'll go for the full 1000 gamerscore that the game has to offer. However... I wouldn't torture myself by playing shit like Bomberman Act Zero just for the sake of some points, that's pretty stupid IMO.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Br3adfan said:
    "Yes I am"
    shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By shadowjak
    wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By wizdom
    MisterShak said:
    "Personally I'm not. I play games and if i happen to earn a few achievements along the way its all good. Only once in a while do I go out of my way to specifically get a certain achievement but NEVER if it requires some sort of repetitive behaviour on my part (ex. the Assassin's Creed achievements requiring you to do all the research for the assasination)
    "
    nope, could really care less, hell I haven't even hit 10k yet and I have had the 360 since it came out.
    Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Jordan23

Yes I am, achievements add so much more replay value to the games. Besides, it's so fun trying to top one of your fellow Xbox Live gamers.

ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ItsPozer

Yea I was but stopped after I hit like 23k.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By Manks

Somewhat.  I play games that I enjoy and have fun with.  If the game is good enough then I will trying to get all the achievements in that game and try for some ridiculously hard ones. 

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116  Edited By jlaudio7

I sat down for 3 hours trying to do the wax off achievement in geometry wars 2, so I guess I am?

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SpikeDelight

I am most certainly an Achievement whore and proud of it. In games I always kind of had that completionist personality (for example I have Assassin's Creed on PS3 but I do all the research for every assassination anyway not knowing there was an achievement for it on the 360 version) and I guess it extends to Achievements. I always try to get every Achievement that's anywhere within my grasp and I love seeing the little Achievement Unlocked screen pop up.

MattDoGG91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MattDoGG91

I just want my gamerscore to be 10k.....well actually....15k......no wait 20k.......you know what nevermind.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#119  Edited By zyn

Yes.  But I'm not VERY OBSESSIVE (like playing stupid games for Achievements) but I like to unlock all Achievements (those that give points anyways) from the games I play.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By keyhunter

Normally when I play games I would just go through on the normal difficulty and do whatever to beat the game.
    Achievements pretty much make me try and do as many things in one play through to achieve all the achievements possible in one playthrough, and if it can't be done, make me play the game again until I get them, or continue playing until I find every last hidden fucknut or whatever. Also I've been known to rent 6 games over a period of 48 hours and do nothing but play through them, slam DEW's and beleive it or not, it's a fantastic social experience when you have a friend to do it with.

SO I guess I do like achievements enough to be considered a whore.

PanzerPev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By PanzerPev
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By louiedog

I use achievements to extend my experience. They push me to do things I might otherwise not do. If there's an achievement for using a certain weapon X number of times, I might do it even though it would be a weapon I otherwise would normally ignore. That's great, because I might find out that I really like that weapon. However, if I know I really hate the weapon, I'd just ignore the achievement. If there's an achievement for collecting 3 items on each level, and over the course of the game I found 80% of them, I'll probably stop and explore a bit more on my second playthrough. However, I won't go for achievements that I don't like doing, because I pay games for fun, and once an achievement becomes a PIAT I stop.

drcampino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By drcampino

I try to get as many as I can, and I do occasionally grind to get a few, but I will never play a game I don't like simply to get 'cheevos.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Meltac

Only if I really like the game, otherwise no.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By Djeffers03

Depends what the game is, I love getting achievements and I like to have a high total for each game but I don't care about getting all the achievements. I also don't really care about my total gamerscore. And I never bother going for achievements that envolve a lot f repetition. IM AN ODD ONE...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By natetodamax

Kinda sorta maybe.

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By riffingt0n

Yes and no.  My gamerscore isn't exactly skyrocketing, but I like playing the games I play to high completion.   I'm not super efficient about points though - like going through Mass Effect 2 on Insanity just because I like the challenge.  That time for that 75g isn't exactly a good return on investment, seen in a mercenary light.

Put simply, I try to at least A-rank a game if the achievements make it possible to do so without too much tedium.  I especially like challenge, "complete the game", or low-hanging fruit type achievements.  I've only got one S-rank, and I don't sweat those too much as DLC can just break 'em anyway and I'm picky about getting good 'value' for my money (if I get 30 hours of gameplay for 60 bucks, I'm not apt to pay another 7 for 1 or 2 hours).

Speaking of A-ranks, is there any way to see what that cutoff is before you get there? ^.^

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Hourai

Not really, but I make an effort to get any achievement that isn't terribly difficult or time consuming. 

Feels so good when the unlock pops up, though!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#129  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Not at all.  The only time when I go for achievements are on games that I really really really like.  I do not play shitty games like Avatar or Hannah Montana to get points.  That's just time wasted that you can spend on playing better games.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ThePaleKing

Depends. If they're fun to get and seem like an extension of the game, like in Dead Rising or Crackdown. But if they're just tedious and require hours of pain in the ass work, then fuck no. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.