Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1943

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 08, 2009

Return to the Pacific Theater in this simpler, downloadable, console-exclusive sequel to the massive World War II first-person shooter Battlefield 1942. It was later shut down on December 2023.

Fourth Battlefield 1943 Map Unlocks On 360

• 88 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Seen here: a plane. 
    EA probably knew it was creating some platform drama when it created the Battlefield 1943 "Coral Sea Challenge," which locked up one of that game's four maps on each platform until 43 million kills were earned... on each platform. They essentially created a race situation, with each platform squaring off to get kills. Raw numbers and install bases made it seem like the 360 would have a relatively easy time beating out the PS3 version, though EA managed to make it a little more dramatic by not having enough servers on the 360 side, making that version sort of unplayable for a few days.

But in the end, that didn't hold the 360 base back for long. Today, after five days of straight-up murder, the 360 version surpassed 43 million kills, letting players on that platform play matches on Coral Sea, a planes-only map. The PS3 players made it to 22 million kills and, I guess, will still have to keep killing to unlock Coral Sea for themselves.

Interestingly, EA's been tracking who actually gets the kills, and they've attributed the map unlocking kill to Xbox Live user jkasapi, or "James" from Peterborough, England. That dude will get Battlefield 1943-themed sunglasses, a t-shirt, and custom sneakers. EA says that the lucky killer for the PlayStation 3 version will also win a similar package.

So did this silly challenge get your platform-specific blood boiling? It seemed like a bit of good fun to me, but I'm sure someone on some message board right now is flipping out over something related to this whole deal.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

EA probably knew it was creating some platform drama when it created the Battlefield 1943 "Coral Sea Challenge," which locked up one of that game's four maps on each platform until 43 million kills were earned... on each platform. They essentially created a race situation, with each platform squaring off to get kills. Raw numbers and install bases made it seem like the 360 would have a relatively easy time beating out the PS3 version, though EA managed to make it a little more dramatic by not having enough servers on the 360 side, making that version sort of unplayable for a few days.

But in the end, that didn't hold the 360 base back for long. Today, after five days of straight-up murder, the 360 version surpassed 43 million kills, letting players on that platform play matches on Coral Sea, a planes-only map. The PS3 players made it to 22 million kills and, I guess, will still have to keep killing to unlock Coral Sea for themselves.

Interestingly, EA's been tracking who actually gets the kills, and they've attributed the map unlocking kill to Xbox Live user jkasapi, or "James" from Peterborough, England. That dude will get Battlefield 1943-themed sunglasses, a t-shirt, and custom sneakers. EA says that the lucky killer for the PlayStation 3 version will also win a similar package.

So did this silly challenge get your platform-specific blood boiling? It seemed like a bit of good fun to me, but I'm sure someone on some message board right now is flipping out over something related to this whole deal.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oriental_Jams

But will it be any good?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer

The map-unlocking kill?! That's awesome. So jealous.

As for the competitive platform thing, it's all in good. But fanboys are surely raging. Apparently the ps3 kills were wiped clean at one point?

eduardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By eduardo

It's a crazy, crazy fight playing in this map - first to get into a plane with your teammates running over the air carrier! Got to play a couple of matches, it's hectic as hell.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By FlipperDesert

Lucky bastard, he even stole my real name!

Is there any more information on the themed stuff? I wanna see what the sunglasses look like, hopefully they just have "WAKE ISLAND" printed on the lenses. Hell, that'd be awesome.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nanikore

You're part of the problem, damnit!

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oriental_Jams
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " The map-unlocking kill?! That's awesome. So jealous.As for the competitive platform thing, it's all in good. But fanboys are surely raging. Apparently the ps3 kills were wiped clean at one point? "
    So were the Xbox ones, but they were put back up.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88

Fuck the fanboy drama, I like what EA is doing with this.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

wait, so once PSN hits 43 million, theyll get it to? then wahts the big deal if its only gonna be exclusive for like 3 or 4 days?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By Forcen

Release it on Steam Already!

okuzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By okuzy

Awesome!!! I just got this game yesterday and I fell in love with planes! see you guys online!

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By MAST

Doesn't really bother me, i already knew this kind of thing played to the 360 install base more anyway. As you guys have already pointed out in past podcasts, there is a reason why games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are released on the 360 at a discount price. Microsoft knows that most 360 users would rather play a FPS game, or sports games, then anything else. It's simply a different install base. One that is going to flock to this FPS contest like bees to honey.
    I don't think the same is true for PS3 owners. Most PS3 owners i know are busy creating levels in LittleBigPlanet, or anxiously awaiting games like Trine. They don't really go as crazy over FPS games. That, combined with the fact that the 360 has about 7 million more units sold, which isn't a ton more, but every bit helps.

Overall, like you said, this was just good fun. For some reason, working towards that 43 mil kill point made me want to play this game more then any other FPS out there. Here's hoping that they do this again. Actually, it would be cool if they did this with every map they add to BF 1943 in the future.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By phlegms

Hasnt been working for me at all..

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilhomer

thats awesome that they kept track of who got that final kill and gratz to that guy for the special prize

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I knew the 360 would win, they have 9 million more players, no matter how many server problems you have, you'll still have more players on them all the time, but I'm enjoying my PS3 version just fine.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oriental_Jams
    @MAST said:
    " Doesn't really bother me, i already knew this kind of thing played to the 360 install base more anyway. As you guys have already pointed out in past podcasts, there is a reason why games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are released on the 360 at a discount price. Microsoft knows that most 360 users would rather play a FPS game, or sports games, then anything else. It's simply a different install base. One that is going to flock to this FPS contest like bees to honey.I don't think the same is true for PS3 owners. Most PS3 owners i know are busy creating levels in LittleBigPlanet, or anxiously awaiting games like Trine. They don't really go as crazy over FPS games. That, combined with the fact that the 360 has about 7 million more units sold, which isn't a ton more, but every bit helps.Overall, like you said, this was just good fun. For some reason, working towards that 43 mil kill point made me want to play this game more then any other FPS out there. Here's hoping that they do this again. Actually, it would be cool if they did this with every map they add to BF 1943 in the future. "
    Well, most of the PS3 users I know are still obsessing over COD: WAW. Sad, I know, but unfortunately they don't.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

ps3 users are too busy playing Killzone 2

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

Conclusive proof that 360 owners are best at killing dudes and sexing up girls.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killdave

Ps3 in last place again ? Well I never !!

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @MAST: Why must you generalize audiences of a system? I bet you think all black people live in ghetto's too, right?  That's obviously a very extreme statement, much like the ones you continue to make. The end of your post is right, the rest is just some weird generalization you have about 360 owners.
    Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Forget Coral Sea. How many kills till we unlock the jet pack?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By End_Boss
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " wait, so once PSN hits 43 million, theyll get it to? then wahts the big deal if its only gonna be exclusive for like 3 or 4 days? "
    There is no "big deal." It was just a friendly competition to see which platform would get the most kills first. EA never said it was exclusive to either platform, because it's not.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Out_On_Bail: He didn't say that did he really?
    thomasmolby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thomasmolby

Oh well seems like i should get back to my ps3 and work for the good of all :)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JJOR64

I figured 360 would beat PS3 to it.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @turbomonkey138: no of course not, I was generalizing just like he was- only I went extreme with it ;-)
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bubahula
    @MAST said:
    "Doesn't really bother me, i already knew this kind of thing played to the 360 install base more anyway. As you guys have already pointed out in past podcasts, there is a reason why games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are released on the 360 at a discount price. Microsoft knows that most 360 users would rather play a FPS game, or sports games, then anything else. It's simply a different install base. One that is going to flock to this FPS contest like bees to honey.I don't think the same is true for PS3 owners. Most PS3 owners i know are busy creating levels in LittleBigPlanet, or anxiously awaiting games like Trine. They don't really go as crazy over FPS games. That, combined with the fact that the 360 has about 7 million more units sold, which isn't a ton more, but every bit helps.Overall, like you said, this was just good fun. For some reason, working towards that 43 mil kill point made me want to play this game more then any other FPS out there. Here's hoping that they do this again. Actually, it would be cool if they did this with every map they add to BF 1943 in the future."

you are just hopping around making huge gereralizations all over anrent you?
    Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sabata

So how many kills until we get a map on the Moon?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By RedSox8933

I can never get a fucking plane, is everybody a dick or am I just stupid?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Azteck

I actually liked this idea, it added another incentive to keep playing, as if you needed one.

And who the shit cares about what console was first in the long run, the PS3 people will get it in due time.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Bubahula said:
    " you are just hopping around making huge gereralizations all over anrent you? "
    I for one really am looking forward to Trine, but it's still an off-the-wall look at platform demographics.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MAST
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " @MAST: Why must you generalize audiences of a system? I bet you think all black people live in ghetto's too, right?  That's obviously a very extreme statement, much like the ones you continue to make. The end of your post is right, the rest is just some weird generalization you have about 360 owners. "

Umm, not really. There is some basis for truth in why i said, therefor, it's not a weird generalization. I'd say the fact that Nuts & Bolts got released for 40 bucks when it's a full game does say something about the Xbox user-base. The reason i know the guys on the podcast have already talked about this before i brought it up, is because i just got through listening to old podcasts. They said almost exactly what i just said. That they feel like the reason Nuts & Bolts got released for only 40 bucks speaks to the 360 install base, and the fact that they'd rather be playing first person shooters, or third person shooters. So if you are going to get mad at me, then you need to get all pissy at the GiantBomb crew also.

I think it's funny that i can't even say something as innocent as "360 owners seem like they'd rather play an FPS game then anything else" without everybody freaking out like i'm insulting them? I posted almost the same thing in the BF 1943 forum, and got the same reaction. Why is that an insult? Why so defensive? The majority of people on the 360 would rather play an FPS game. So what? Again, why is that an insult, and why are you people turning it into an insult? It's just the way it is, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Just by looking at how Microsoft markets things, how they price other types of games, etc. That doesn't  mean there arent exceptions. That there aren't 360 owners who hate FPS games, and PS3 owners who are nutty about them. Just, overall, that cliche 360 stereotype has some truth in it...

/shrug

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By NickM

Made a good call when I bought it for 360. I was already in PSN with the Buy button highlighted when I thought: "Screw it" and bought the 360 version. 

With loads of planes flying around, the map is actually very fun. I've played one match and the experience was quite different from the main game.
    joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joslop500
    @Jimbo said:
    " Conclusive proof that 360 owners are best at killing dudes and sexing up girls. "
    You got that right Sir.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @MAST: Well, instead of saying "360 owners seem like they'd rather play an FPS game then anything else" you could say "People mostly prefer to play FPS games on 360, because of certain platform specific features", or something akin to that.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kohe321
    @Forcen said:
    " Release it on Steam Already! "
    Yes please!
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @MAST said:
    " @Out_On_Bail said:
    " @MAST: Why must you generalize audiences of a system? I bet you think all black people live in ghetto's too, right?  That's obviously a very extreme statement, much like the ones you continue to make. The end of your post is right, the rest is just some weird generalization you have about 360 owners. "
    Umm, not really. There is some basis for truth in why i said, therefor, it's not a weird generalization. I'd say the fact that Nuts & Bolts got released for 40 bucks when it's a full game does say something about the Xbox user-base. The reason i know the guys on the podcast have already talked about this before i brought it up, is because i just got through listening to old podcasts. They said almost exactly what i just said. That they feel like the reason Nuts & Bolts got released for only 40 bucks speaks to the 360 install base, and the fact that they'd rather be playing first person shooters, or third person shooters. So if you are going to get mad at me, then you need to get all pissy at the GiantBomb crew also.I think it's funny that i can't even say something as innocent as "360 owners seem like they'd rather play an FPS game then anything else" without everybody freaking out like i'm insulting them? I posted almost the same thing in the BF 1943 forum, and got the same reaction. Why is that an insult? Why so defensive? The majority of people on the 360 would rather play an FPS game. So what? Again, why is that an insult, and why are you people turning it into an insult? It's just the way it is, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Just by looking at how Microsoft markets things, how they price other types of games, etc. That doesn't  mean there arent exceptions. That there aren't 360 owners who hate FPS games, and PS3 owners who are nutty about them. Just, overall, that cliche 360 stereotype has some truth in it.../shrug "
    Sigh...

Don't bother defending yourself, these people will just throw their own opinions at you. Their loss really, cause your right. There is a reason there are far more big time shooters on the 360, why most multiplatform shooters do better on the 360, and why 360 players completely dominated this race. Cause more people play shooters. It also probably has to do with the fact that the PS3 just doesn't support digital distribution the way the 360 does. The 360 has a bajiliion arcade games, and sure, most of em are crap, but there's a shit load of em. Not so with the PS3, they barely put that stuff out there. But clearly, far more people chose the 360 version of the game, as we often see happening with shooters. Nothing wrong with it, it's a good thing that consoles have different strengths.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @MAST: Feeding into stereotypes, is generalizing an audience- which is bad, regardless of who does it. Even if it was said on the podcast, that doesn't make it true. That was there opinion, just like you have yours, but again -- that does not mean it's true. And to quote you:

@MAST said:
     The majority of people on the 360 would rather play an FPS game. So what? Again, why is that an insult, and why are you people turning it into an insult? It's just the way it is, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. 
    Where's the pudding, because I'd like the proof.  I never said, nor felt insulted by it either, I simply stated that it's wrong because it's a - say it with me - generalization.  Which is why people are most likely offended by it, if anyone actually is.  Show me some proof and I'll retract my statement, otherwise it's just an opinion that has no validity to it. 

You claim to know so much about the 360 and it's users, yet I question if you even own one.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hatking

I thought this was a good idea, a great idea even.  Although I didn't participate in the fun nor do I have or plan on buying the game, I would like to see something like this for say Modern Warfare 2, except hike up the kill count about ten fold so it actually lasts more than a few hours.  This is a good way to make a game have a little more lasting appeal and give somewhat of a platform exclusive. 

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bubahula
    @MAST said:
    your just making judgements, and passing off your crackshit theories as fact. no block of text can hide the fact that your just being stubborn and generalizing alot of people. you asked why people get mad when you say shit like that? its because your basiclly calling everyone the same, people will get mad because if they are not in your group then they feel the need to seperate themselves, and more power to them for doing it. 
    @Snapstacle:
      im lookin froward to the realease of trine on xbox cause i loved the demo, it's awesome :D
    I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By I_am_Lono

Holy Mary mother of fuck! I live in Peterborough! What a small world!

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eurobum

@Jeff Gerstmann
    It's 1943 war so this is no "straight-up murder" and not a virtual game of murder. Soldiers (even the virtual ones) are not murderers.

Well, in Battlefield games there is usually at least one out of 24, who insists on murdering teammates. This reminds me. What's the friendly fire situation? - I don't remember reading a single sentence about this otherwise very hot FPS topic.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By meptron
    @Jimbo said:
    "Conclusive proof that 360 owners are best at killing dudes and sexing up girls."

Yeah. Girl's *love* the 1337 FPS skillz. It's such a turn on.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MAST
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    "Show me some proof and I'll retract my statement, otherwise it's just an opinion that has no validity to it."

I already told you what the proof is, at least, as much proof as you could possibly get in this situation. You must not read so well though, so i'll repeat. The proof is in how Microsoft markets games, the commercials they put out, the fact that more high-profile shooters get released on the 360 then the PS3, the fact that multiplatform shooters always sell better on the 360, the fact that Microsoft release full games like Nuts & Bolts for only 40 bucks, etc. The list goes on and on, and this is really all the "proof" you need.

@MordeaniisChaos said:
    "Nothing wrong with it, it's a good thing that consoles have different strengths. "

Thanks man, that's pretty much what i was trying to say. Good to know there are some level-headed people on this website. If LittleBigPlanet was on the 360 as well, and they held a contest to see which console would hit 43,000,000 created levels first, then i'd bet in that situation the PS3 would win, because of the type of game. In this instance, it's an FPS game, which is always going to do better on the 360, because of the user-base preference.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Meptron:  I know you are being sarcastic, but it's true, they do.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By MeatSim

Well that didn't take long to unlock at all.

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By day2daze
    @MAST: 
    agreeeeeeeeed, i have a 360 (actually let me phrase that better: ive had 3 360s since launch so iv'e definately had my expirence with this) and just over a couple moths ago halo, cod, and the other treyarch thingy-mabob abomination were the top three xbox live games being played, really the only games right now that you can find a full room in a matter of seconds... i belive they're all fps??

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Death_Unicorn

This means, 43 million people have died... =(

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By day2daze

And I highly doubt the demographic has changed, maybe battlefed is up in that top 3 now, doubtful....my point stands...
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Teirdome

Meh, more people prefer shooters on 360.  I can't say that I blame them, the shoulder buttons and analog sticks are much better on the 360 controller.  Combine that with the party system making up for some of the shortcomings of the squad system in 1943 and I'd say it's a half-star better experience on the 360.  It's not like this was even the top shooter for the week, the top 5 games played on Live were:

1    Halo 3
    2    Call of Duty: WaW
    3    Call of Duty 4
    4    Gears of War 2
    5    Battlefield 1943

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.