Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Why does PB still suck?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Seriously, is PB (Punkbuster, a form of Anti cheat software) the worst piece of software ever made? Every time i have used it in the last decade, it refuses to update itself. In fact its such a common problem that I suspect it doesn't auto update at all and instead just waits for the ideal moment to boot you from your game.  I wish it were my fire wall but it isn't that easy, for whatever reason even if I let it through my firewall it continues to fuck up.

Battlefield Vietnam had better things to do than work with PB, but I only play it for a little while and never bother  to fix it.

Call of Duty 2 never would work until I went to their site and figured out how to update it. That was 5 hours in, and after fixing it there still seemed to be hella autoaimers.... ( I got really good at sneaking up on them at least, i could kill one once every 12 lives!)

Battlefield 2 never would work until I went to their site and manually Updated it. That was from install.

Battlefield Heroes didn't work about 3 hours in because it stopped updating.

Call of Duty 4, it has PB but now I use a different firewall, maybe when I unblock it it will actually work? Fuck no....  Im 40 hours in and it keeps booting me from games.

America's Army 3, the only thing that can defeat a force of Highly trained US soldiers, is a PB timeout.

Modern Warfare 2 works great! Oh wait it uses VAC.

Battlefield Bad Company 2, a truly modern game, im really excited to play on the new maps, too bad my game decides after 90 hours of play that it's PB can no longer update itself 

So now, as I reinstall PB setup (The manual file operation doesn't seem to work.) all I can say is.

Fuck PB....

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Yeah, it's pretty gay. Kicks you from all servers on BF2 if you have overlay UI on and since alt-tabbing in BF2 is slower than shit it's gonna be a hassle if someone's messaging you on Steam. I think DICE should just make a deal with Valve to use VAC or something, because PB is seriously impairing their games.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

It's useful, in threads when using an acronym to at least use the full word once, for the sake of clarity.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sjupp

Is this still a problem?
    I remember having trouble with this when playing BF2.. Awesome.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikemcn
    @Weltal said:
    " It's useful, in threads when using an acronym to at least use the full word once, for the sake of clarity. "
    Acronym clarifed, good thing I didn't write my post entirely in Anagrams like I planned.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rockanomics

Yeah, it's pretty shitty, PBsetup usually would fix most of my troubles though. 

At least it's not as bad as trying to get a Red Alert 3 game going with GameSpy, hol - E - shit.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah the updating mechanism is pretty stupid. Games are supposed to do it automatically, but there always seems to be cases of conflicts every time somebody patches anything that uses it. EA should either develop their own anti-cheat software to run on their servers, or stop trying to compete with valve in the PC market and adopt Steamworks.

The one thing worse than PB is the authentication software BF2142 used: PACE. Nothing broke my game more consistently. I would have to quit playing it for months at a time before the reset method would suddenly start working again so I could launch the damn game. Then upon getting in, there was the occasional unexplained PB kick. But At least the game would launch.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

I'm surprised people still use PunkBuster after all this time. It seems like everyone prefers VAC over PunkBuster.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @Meteora said:
    " I'm surprised people still use PunkBuster after all this time. It seems like everyone prefers VAC over PunkBuster. "
    We do, but EA doesn't.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weltal
    @Mikemcn: I think you've just come up with the best idea for a Giant Bomb thread ever.
    RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By RaceKickfist

i'm beyond done with multiplayer EA games on the PC. Once I found out there was no conceivable way in which I could play battlefield 2142 ever again, I had HAD it. Apparently you have to install, then patch it with an earlier patch (which they don't provide) and THEN upgrade with the expansion, then patch with the new patch, THEN you might be able to play. and since that xp i had no interest in cost 30 bucks, I was out. I haven't had any beef with PB, but I think thats because I don't play any games that use it. Doesn't seem like I'm missing much.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

Every game that I've played that has used PB has caused issues for me. Hate that piece of software.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikemcn
    @Weltal said:
    " @Mikemcn: I think you've just come up with the best idea for a Giant Bomb thread ever. "
    I inkht I aveh
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmrwacko

PB is balls, and always has been. I wish this game used Steam's VAC instead.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeJerk

I never had a single problem with PB in BC2. BLOPS PC ran flawlessly (except for what /demo_enabled 0 fixed) from day one. I'd like to know what's wrong with my computer.

(PC behind DMZ in the router and no anti-virus software installed, no firewall, etc)

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bwmcmaste

Bad Company was made to be played on a console (PunkBuster isn't required on PS3).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.