Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

PS3 demo online on japanese psn. impressions?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Here's some footage: 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai
    @Linkyshinks:  

Linkyshinks - your source for everything Japanese.     
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Linkyshinks:     Linkyshinks - your sources for everything Japanese.      "
    ORIGATO, LINKYSHINKS!

MORDUKAI, MASAMI!
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

god damn is that demo tough, I approached the enemies from a variety of ways and seemed to always get my arse handed to me. But oh my is it pretty (despite the cutscene on the train having some bad textures) The game moves really, really smoothly and for some reason felt liek it was influenced  a lot more by god of war than devil may cry.  

I couldn't quite figure what I was doing wrong in the battles, it seemed like every single enemy would counter me after about 3 or 4 hits, i know it probably has somethign to do with the R2 flip button.  

really enjoyed it, i'm going to put a bunch of time into it later and hopefully beat that huge dude with the axe without having to resort to dropping it down to easy.  Absolutely crazy, beautiful to look at and a seemingly well thought out combat system.... still not sexy in the slightest.

The unskippable cutscene after death is a little annoying
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KingBroly

Runs like crap on PS3, plays fine. 

That about sums it up for me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunstarRed
    @KingBroly said:
    "Runs like crap on PS3, plays fine.  That about sums it up for me. "

But it runs just fine.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

I'm not gonna watch those videos. It's really, really tempting, but I don't want to spoil it for myself and the 360 demo will most likely be available to Silver members in a couple of days(Damn those timed Gold-exclusive demos!).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Weird that the actual OP doesn't show up, guess it's because of the weirdness on the forums last night.

Anyways yea I tried the demo.  I'm OK on the game overall.  PS3 version really does seem a bit wonky, but I have heard time and time again the 360 version will be smooth.  The most clever thing they're doing is it's a Devil May Cry with a help system.  The game suggests which buttons to press in the middle of gameplay.  It's actually really smart because it reminds you how to finish guys or attack guys in certain ways.  It's an intelligent merging of the quick time event concept and dynamic gameplay.

I'm not too sure about the variety in gameplay and environments.  I also think the enemy design is really poor in some cases, just random fleshy bits pulled together in many cases.  Maybe that impression is hurt by the PS3's demo's fidelity.

I think it could be a good game, but it's not going to be at the top of my list ever.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Diamond:
    could you get the side to side  thing to work after doing the 360+triangle?I really struggled with that, I couldnt quite see what i was meant to be doing...or what I would be doing if I achieved it.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @marioncobretti said:
    " @Diamond: could you get the side to side  thing to work after doing the 360+triangle?I really struggled with that, I couldnt quite see what i was meant to be doing...or what I would be doing if I achieved it. "
    I think I know what you're talking about.  You aim with the stick and hammer on the one button, just makes you shoot from an over the shoulder view for a while.
    Gr1mace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gr1mace

I just got done with the PS3 demo and am playing the 360 one as I type this. Though the PS3 one is pretty the 360 one is drop dead gorgeous. It also seems to play better but I'm chalking that up to much more stable frame rate and less screen tearing. Having played both I can say this is a damn good game no matter which system you have to play it on. The combat is intense, the defensive options are fantastic, the soundstrack is amazing and the graphics are some of the best I've seen this gen.  

I was on the fence about this game for a long time, but now it's insta-buy. You'd be insane not to pick this up if you dig action games. 

Gr1mace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gr1mace
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @Gr1mace said:
    " I just got done with the PS3 demo and am playing the 360 one as I type this. Though the PS3 one is pretty the 360 one is drop dead gorgeous. It also seems to play better but I'm chalking that up to much more stable frame rate and less screen tearing. Having played both I can say this is a damn good game no matter which system you have to play it on. The combat is intense, the defensive options are fantastic, the soundstrack is amazing and the graphics are some of the best I've seen this gen.   I was on the fence about this game for a long time, but now it's insta-buy. You'd be insane not to pick this up if you dig action games.  "
    I thought they both looked average "
    Eh, different strokes for different folks.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AURON570

looking sweet. the suit that bayonetta wears sort of reminded me of the suits that the Beauties wore in MGS4. I also really like the camera angles.

totriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By totriz
    @Diamond said:

" Weird that the actual OP doesn't show up, guess it's because of the weirdness on the forums last night.

yeah, the forum crapped out the 3 times I tried to post. 
    anyway, my opinion isn't too far from everyone else's. 

jaggy graphics, low res textures, frame rate drops
    none of this makes the game unplayable, but certainly will tip the balance over to the xbox version. 

the gameplay is a lot of fun, it get's kind of crazy, but I suppose that playing it from the beginning and gradually upgrading your moves will help you focus more on the action.

here's a comparison video:  http://esegk.com/bayo/ps3.avi http://esegk.com/bayo/360.avi     
    xbox looks a lot sharper/smoother. let's hope the demo get's to the US marketplace soon (before the gold restriction expires on the japanese marketplace at least)
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By hakunin

Just played the 360 demo again for like, the tenth time. And all I want to do right now is start it again.

Words cannot begin to express how much I'm looking forward to this being released in the west.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't see a difference in graphics between the versions. The framerate jitters concern me though.

Overall I hate the style of this game but it looks really fun.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hakunin
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @hakunin said:

" 360

PS3 "

The only noticeable difference is the black level which is adjustable on the PS3. EDIT: The PS3 has an option for "Limited" or "Full" color range and this relates to the black level.  The default is Limited and it looks like someone hadn't changed it before taking the screenshot.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @totriz said:
    yeah, the forum crapped out the 3 times I tried to post. anyway, my opinion isn't too far from everyone else's.  jaggy graphics, low res textures, frame rate dropsnone of this makes the game unplayable, but certainly will tip the balance over to the xbox version.  
    I won't argue against screen tearing, but "jaggy graphics"?  Take a look at the 360 screenshot.  No anti-aliasing to be seen there either.  The only thing that could make the PS3 look noticeably worse is the default black level which can be adjusted but folks don't RTFM.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By KingBroly

I don't think the videos show this, but on the PS3 version of the demo, when it goes to cutscenes (Namely when you summon your Dog and the first one at the bottom of the stairs outside) are not in real time.  It seems like they just recorded the 360 version in 480p and stuck it in there as a placeholder.  And when you play it you know something's wrong there.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By artofwar420

The only thing I've noticed from SCREENSHOTS at various sites, is that it seems a bit blurrier and less "deep" in the PS3 version... could the PS3 version possibly improve by the time it comes out? Or do you think that the demo is as good as it's gonna look... hey it happened to Ghostbusters on the PS3, to a certain extent.
    totriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By totriz
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @totriz said:
    yeah, the forum crapped out the 3 times I tried to post. anyway, my opinion isn't too far from everyone else's.  jaggy graphics, low res textures, frame rate dropsnone of this makes the game unplayable, but certainly will tip the balance over to the xbox version.  
    I won't argue against screen tearing, but "jaggy graphics"?  Take a look at the 360 screenshot.  No anti-aliasing to be seen there either.  The only thing that could make the PS3 look noticeably worse is the default black level which can be adjusted but folks don't RTFM. "
    I'm just commenting on what I have actually played on my ps3. since I don't have access to the 360 demo (gold exclusive on japanese marketplace) 
    I generally don't comment, or care to compare on graphic quality based on screenshots or compressed video, and I'm sure the 360 version will have it's graphic flaws also, but from what I have seen the 360 definitely looks and runs better  
    and yes, I have my tv and consoles set up to my liking(black level and colorspace set up on the consoles and different user image presets for each one on my tv), so that (most) of the games I have look good. Still, bayonetta on the ps3 looks a little washed out/foggy compared to my other ps3 games, and since I can choose wich version to buy, I certainly will buy the one that looks better.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snail

Meh.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @totriz said:
     Still, bayonetta on the ps3 looks a little washed out/foggy compared to my other ps3 games, and since I can choose wich version to buy, I certainly will buy the one that looks better. "
    That's weird.  Although, contrast could be easily patched if folks complain...or you could just change the contrast on the tv when playing that game.  It's still pretty bizarre, since contrast is pretty trivial to maintain from console to console.  With the color range set to Full and the tv set properly, BF1943 (for example) is very contrasty on the PS3.  Someone must have screwed up a variable when coding PS3 Bayonetta.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Ket87

For this kind of game if you have the choice of which console I make controller the deciding the factor. For some reason games like this just don't feel right on the 360 controller. I regretted buying DMC4 for 360 just because it felt off, and even the Ninja Gaidens felt more natural on PS3 and I played the hell out of 1 & 2 on Xbox and the 360 and they were even specifically made for those consoles.

As for the graphical difference I didn't see anything wrong with the PS3 demo. True I have yet to play it on 360 but if you have no basis for comparison then you don't notice the differences because its not some glaring flaw.

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DudeSupreme

GIGATON!!!!!!!!

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twazuk

I don't know about the PS3 demo, but the 360 one is completely in English. I was a little weirded out after seeing the quick look and seeing it all in Japanese. Also, the extra level in the 360 demo is pretty epic to say the least.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hakunin

In-depth look at the technical differences between the PS3 and 360 here

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.