Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Oh snap!

• 115 results
    BengoshiSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By BengoshiSan

i'm a huge ps3 fan (not fanboy), i have both systems and I haven't bought bioshock yet bc i was hoping the ps3 version would be better. from what i have seen so far.. it's a failed port.

here's some more comp pics from a japanese gaming website:
    (full high res images HERE)

caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    caption
    BengoshiSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By BengoshiSan

Even more comparison screen shots HERE.

Was there supposed to be extra content in the ps3 version? If not, I dont think this one is going to sell. I'll probably just get a used 360 version for $30 on half.com or something.

Fuck the blurriness, they should know better.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By jakob187

See?  Now THAT is much better.  I can see what everyone is saying, but at the same time, this demo could possibly be a build that was using different filters and/or texturing techniques to try and match up with the 360...and the community found that it did not match up at all.  The better part of this is that the COMMUNITY GOT AN ANSWER, and it was that the quality shown was not something that was acceptable.  To the unknowing eye, you could easily look at these and not see a difference at all.  However, to those of us who play games on a more regular basis, we CAN see the difference.

Here's what I'd like to see:  post up screens of UTIII from 360 and PS3 as a side-by-side comparison as well.  If those do not hold up to each other as well, then you can find out that it's the console and not the devs.  Other than that, I'm glad someone actually posted some extra screens in the thread in order to support a point.

I think it should also be pointed out that there were problems like this with the quality of playback from Blu-Ray movies when the PS3 launched.  Therefore, no one can discount the idea that it is the console that is the problem and not the devs.

Essentially, here's what I'm saying:  when I ran BonusStage, I knew Ken Levine on an e-mailing back-and-forth basis, and he never once seemed like the kind of guy that would allow someone to cheat the customer out of a good game.  Meanwhile, Sony has shown a different track record.  Granted, Digital Extremes is doing the port if I'm correct, but it is being overseen by 2K Marin from what I know.  Therefore, I doubt that the original makers of the game would even consider allowing a product with such a celebrated name to it be tarnished without doing everything in their power to make sure they could offer the best quality product possible.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    "See?  Now THAT is much better.  I can see what everyone is saying, but at the same time, this demo could possibly be a build that was using different filters and/or texturing techniques to try and match up with the 360...and the community found that it did not match up at all.  The better part of this is that the COMMUNITY GOT AN ANSWER, and it was that the quality shown was not something that was acceptable.  To the unknowing eye, you could easily look at these and not see a difference at all.  However, to those of us who play games on a more regular basis, we CAN see the difference.
    Here's what I'd like to see:  post up screens of UTIII from 360 and PS3 as a side-by-side comparison as well.  If those do not hold up to each other as well, then you can find out that it's the console and not the devs.  Other than that, I'm glad someone actually posted some extra screens in the thread in order to support a point.
    "
    Those screens are what I've partially been talking about the whole time o.0
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By shotaro
    jakob187 said:
    "See?  Now THAT is much better.  I can see what everyone is saying, but at the same time, this demo could possibly be a build that was using different filters and/or texturing techniques to try and match up with the 360...and the community found that it did not match up at all.  The better part of this is that the COMMUNITY GOT AN ANSWER, and it was that the quality shown was not something that was acceptable.  To the unknowing eye, you could easily look at these and not see a difference at all.  However, to those of us who play games on a more regular basis, we CAN see the difference.
    "
      Well yes and no didn't bioshock use the unreal engine? (not sure on that) if it did it could be a graphics engine issue.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By jakob187
    Jayge said:
    "Those screens are what I've partially been talking about the whole time o.0"
    Incapable of posting them yourself?  Moreover, could you please point out the page on this thread where you once said anything about screens other than the surprise you had when you first posted up on here?  Yeah, you pointed out that you played the demo to back up everything that had already been stated by a bunch of other folks.  Then you come in saying you were talking about THOSE SPECIFIC SCREENS...and yet I know you aren't going to be able to provide the proof to back up what I just quoted from you?  Seriously, Jayge...I mean, I'm a shit-starter...but you just make me shake my head sometimes, man.  **EDIT** Wait, like this matters anyways.  Editting posts ftw to match against what I say, right?  =  /

Back to the topic at hand...yes, 360 version used UE3 as well.  There have been many, many times where it has been stated that UE3 is difficult to program with on the PS3, and especially in the case of porting a game...which is why the PS3 version of UTIII came out later than the other ones.  That's made BY THE DEVELOPERS OF THE ENGINE THEMSELVES!!!  If they had problems, then it could very well just be that the PS3 is difficult to use with UE3 and blame is being placed on the devs for no reason whatsoever.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    "Jayge said:
    "Those screens are what I've partially been talking about the whole time o.0"
    Incapable of posting them yourself?  Moreover, could you please point out the page on this thread where you once said anything about screens other than the surprise you had when you first posted up on here?  Yeah, you pointed out that you played the demo to back up everything that had already been stated by a bunch of other folks.  Then you come in saying you were talking about THOSE SPECIFIC SCREENS...and yet I know you aren't going to be able to provide the proof to back up what I just quoted from you?  Seriously, Jayge...I mean, I'm a shit-starter...but you just make me shake my head sometimes, man.  **EDIT** Wait, like this matters anyways.  Editting posts ftw to match against what I say, right?  =  /

Back to the topic at hand...yes, 360 version used UE3 as well.  There have been many, many times where it has been stated that UE3 is difficult to program with on the PS3, and especially in the case of porting a game...which is why the PS3 version of UTIII came out later than the other ones.  That's made BY THE DEVELOPERS OF THE ENGINE THEMSELVES!!!  If they had problems, then it could very well just be that the PS3 is difficult to use with UE3 and blame is being placed on the devs for no reason whatsoever.
    "
    You can look back at my other posts discussing the overall blurriness. They're there. And as for not being a shit-starter- it's what you *do*.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By jakob187
    Jayge said:
    "You can look back at my other posts discussing the overall blurriness. They're there. And as for not being a shit-starter- it's what you *do*."
    Very much did so, just to make sure I was typing the proper comment.  You specifically stated that you were talking about the screens on page 4...yet you never once mentioned anything about other screenshots.  I mean, I can go read through them again...but like I said, editting posts ftw...so what's it matter?  Anything you say on a forum can be subject to change I guess.  Me, a shit-starter?  Never.  *innocent face*  I start shit because shit is what starts conversation...and moreover, conversation that can lead to the root of a problem.  Sometimes it's just for the sake of flaming, but in this case, it's to point out that you are stating something that you never once actually stated.  =  /

I've been diggin' around for some comparison shots of UTIII, but it's kind of hard to trust whether people are using the correct versions of the game for screens sometimes.  lol  Stupid gaming industry picking the slickest looking ones.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    "Jayge said:
    "You can look back at my other posts discussing the overall blurriness. They're there. And as for not being a shit-starter- it's what you *do*."
    Very much did so, just to make sure I was typing the proper comment.  You specifically stated that you were talking about the screens on page 4...yet you never once mentioned anything about other screenshots.  I mean, I can go read through them again...but like I said, editting posts ftw...so what's it matter?  Anything you say on a forum can be subject to change I guess.  Me, a shit-starter?  Never.  *innocent face*  I start shit because shit is what starts conversation...and moreover, conversation that can lead to the root of a problem.  Sometimes it's just for the sake of flaming, but in this case, it's to point out that you are stating something that you never once actually stated.  =  /

I've been diggin' around for some comparison shots of UTIII, but it's kind of hard to trust whether people are using the correct versions of the game for screens sometimes.  lol  Stupid gaming industry picking the slickest looking ones.
    "
    I never mentioned them because they were in the topic that everyone was linked to and I was under the impression idiots did their fucking research. I'm sorry I don't provide indexed bibliographies and references to whatever I'm discussing. (no, I'm not)
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jakob187

Ah, you should...because not everyone clicks on links, Jayge.  Keyloggers are notorious on the interwebz, haven't you heard?  = D

Sorry...I just didn't get to pick on you much today.  You are easy to get riled up.

Still looking for screens.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    "Ah, you should...because not everyone clicks on links, Jayge.  Keyloggers are notorious on the interwebz, haven't you heard?  = D
    Sorry...I just didn't get to pick on you much today.  You are easy to get riled up.

Still looking for screens.
    "
    my pulse is a solid 60 right now. I'm just normally blunt.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By jakob187
    http://www.videogamer.com/videos/player.html?vid=2219
    Video comparison of UTIII on both PS3 and 360.  With moving video, it's kinda hard to tell, and when you hit the pause button, it darkens the screen, making it tougher to tell.  You can tell that the brightness and contrast on the PS3 on is set higher, which is a consistent match with some of the early things people noticed about the early Bioshock comparison video of the intro.

Don't know.  These two look pretty close to each other, it's hard to tell.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By jakob187

Figured I'd post this up:

After going through another eight games, we've found a few trends that follow both of these consoles around. Outside of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, our findings didn't show any drastic differences in image quality between the two consoles--nothing compared to what we found when we compared first-generation games in our original comparison feature. The PlayStation 3 generally lags behind the Xbox 360 in high-quality textures and the depth/normal maps that go with them. However, in the same games, the PlayStation 3 sometimes comes ahead with better shadowing and antialiasing. Games on the PS3 do tend to be blurrier than their Xbox 360 counterparts, but the PlayStation 3 games can look just as good as the Xbox 360 games when developers put some effort into it, as is evident with both Grand Theft Auto IV and Burnout Paradise. Overall, the PlayStation 3 outputs visuals that are either on par with the Xbox 360 or only slightly behind.

Wish I could make that text look better (is there a way to change the color of text in this?).  Either way, that was from a GameSpot feature comparing graphics.  Sadly, none of the games feature UE3 from what I could tell, but it does note that PS3 tends to be blurrier than 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

jakob187 said:
    "Figured I'd post this up:
    After going through another eight games, we've found a few trends that follow both of these consoles around. Outside of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, our findings didn't show any drastic differences in image quality between the two consoles--nothing compared to what we found when we compared first-generation games in our original comparison feature. The PlayStation 3 generally lags behind the Xbox 360 in high-quality textures and the depth/normal maps that go with them. However, in the same games, the PlayStation 3 sometimes comes ahead with better shadowing and antialiasing. Games on the PS3 do tend to be blurrier than their Xbox 360 counterparts, but the PlayStation 3 games can look just as good as the Xbox 360 games when developers put some effort into it, as is evident with both Grand Theft Auto IV and Burnout Paradise. Overall, the PlayStation 3 outputs visuals that are either on par with the Xbox 360 or only slightly behind.

Wish I could make that text look better (is there a way to change the color of text in this?).  Either way, that was from a GameSpot feature comparing graphics.  Sadly, none of the games feature UE3 from what I could tell, but it does note that PS3 tends to be blurrier than 360.

"
    I think, if you paste it in Notepad/Wordpad, the text loses its wonky formatting.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Well, that sucks. It'll still be fun, but it's a shame that PS3 owners had to wait a year and a half before getting the game, and it's inferior visually.

I mean, really? That's lame as hall.
    BengoshiSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BengoshiSan

With the 360 version being proven to be more visually impressive and hold a better framerate, and since it is over a year old, the prices are cheaper. I'm just going to opt for getting a used 360 copy.

The Playstation 3 is not inferior in any sense, it's just a different platform for developers and many of them are still fidgeting with it.

I'll have Socom, LBP and Resistence 2 to keep my ps3 happy.
    I'll have GoW2, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 keep me happy on the 360. Why Fallout3 on the 360 and not ps3? Well, there's already rumors going around about future downloadable content and how it's not going to be available for ps3 owners, look it up.

Anyway, I guess I can't complain too much because I own both consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.