Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

How Borderlands has taken away my interest in Modern Warfare 2

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax

So today I came to the realization that the game I am most excited for is not in fact Modern Warfare 2. It's actually Borderlands, the upcoming shooter/RPG (or RPS as the developer says) from Gearbox Software. I was so excited for Modern Warfare 2 that we went out and pre-ordered it and got the sweet poster which is hanging in my room. (Yes, we pre-ordered from Gamestop. Sue me). Last night I was watching some gameplay footage of Borderlands and dude......this game....

Let's say we take a look at the things that have turned me on to this game.

New Art Style

New art style indeed
    New art style indeed
    I remember my reaction when I heard about the change in art style. I was all, "Wow, how stupid is that!?" This is ironic, because I wasn't even interested in the game at the time. Even more ironically is the fact that the new art style is what got me watching the game a short while ago. It just seems so.....sharp. In a good way, mind you. I'm loving the cel-shady feel to it, and it really gives the game a unique feel and a nice change from the other shooters/RPGs out there.

Over Half A Million Guns

The concept of over half a million guns in a game is just mindblowing. Gearbox has created a program that actually creates weapons for them based on different factors. It will be incredibly exciting to go through the game 2-3 times and find new weapons over and over again. Even in the E3 2008 demo, Randy Pitchford was finding new weapons as they played. The idea of playing through the game and always wondering what this gun will do and that gun will do is something that is really appealing to me.

Loot! Loot! And More Loot!

I wonder what I'll find today?
    This game looks to have a very complex and compelling loot system in place. It was awesome watching enemies die and seeing all of their items fall on the ground, just waiting to be taken and used. I've always loved some form of loot in video games. One of my favorite parts of those games is searching the bodies of those I've slain and seeing what they were carrying and deciding whether or not it will be useful for me in the future. The loot also ties in with the half a million guns concept. In the E3 2008 demo, we were shown some sort of chest being opened by the player. Inside were a bunch of guns that the player could swap or instantly equip, as well as other items. Sweet.

Experience

I love leveling up in games. One of the most satisfying things in a game is gaining enough experience points to reach the next level, often times unlocking new abilities and weapons. This is what kept me coming back to Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and all the way up to 10th Prestige. I love getting experience. Borderlands seems to have a pretty neat experience system. Not only can you level up your character, but you can also gain experience for certain weapons. If I use the shotguns a lot, I'll level up my shotgun skill and will be more efficient in using them. Because there are so many guns, that part is really cool.

Cooperative Gameplay

Turn left! I mean right! No, left! LEFT!
    One of the things I'm most excited about in this game is being able to hop online and play with other people without having to manage two different characters. The game looks awesome enough when playing without other players, but I really like the way Gearbox is handling it. If I'm playing the single player and I come across an awesome weapon I want to show to my friends (or just show it off to random players), I can hop online and do so without loosing anything I gained from the single player. The same goes for multiplayer too. If I'm playing with a high level player and he takes me and some others through a dangerous mine and I get some outstanding weapons, I can switch back to single player and use those in that game. That's just awesome. 

Pandora Is Huge

At least, that's what we've been told so far. If it's true, this game has the potential to hold people over for months. I really hope Borderlands is an open world game (can anyone confirm or deny this?) because I would love searching through mines and other settlements in search of different weapons and other items. Plus, it would just be fun to do.

It's Randy Pitchford

Dude, it's Randy Pitchford
    Randy Pitchford is one of my favorite dudes in the video game industry. I love his style and how passionate he is about his games. Anyone else notice how he has this grin on his face when talking about one of his upcoming titles? Lulz.

Well, those are my reasons why Borderlands has become my most anticipated title of this year, and why it has basically taken my interest away from Modern Warfare 2. Granted, I'll still get MW2, but I have a good feeling that Borderlands will be my game of the year.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax

So today I came to the realization that the game I am most excited for is not in fact Modern Warfare 2. It's actually Borderlands, the upcoming shooter/RPG (or RPS as the developer says) from Gearbox Software. I was so excited for Modern Warfare 2 that we went out and pre-ordered it and got the sweet poster which is hanging in my room. (Yes, we pre-ordered from Gamestop. Sue me). Last night I was watching some gameplay footage of Borderlands and dude......this game....

Let's say we take a look at the things that have turned me on to this game.

New Art Style

New art style indeed
    New art style indeed
    I remember my reaction when I heard about the change in art style. I was all, "Wow, how stupid is that!?" This is ironic, because I wasn't even interested in the game at the time. Even more ironically is the fact that the new art style is what got me watching the game a short while ago. It just seems so.....sharp. In a good way, mind you. I'm loving the cel-shady feel to it, and it really gives the game a unique feel and a nice change from the other shooters/RPGs out there.

Over Half A Million Guns

The concept of over half a million guns in a game is just mindblowing. Gearbox has created a program that actually creates weapons for them based on different factors. It will be incredibly exciting to go through the game 2-3 times and find new weapons over and over again. Even in the E3 2008 demo, Randy Pitchford was finding new weapons as they played. The idea of playing through the game and always wondering what this gun will do and that gun will do is something that is really appealing to me.

Loot! Loot! And More Loot!

This game looks to have a very complex and compelling loot system in place. It was awesome watching enemies die and seeing all of their items fall on the ground, just waiting to be taken and used. I've always loved some form of loot in video games. One of my favorite parts of those games is searching the bodies of those I've slain and seeing what they were carrying and deciding whether or not it will be useful for me in the future. The loot also ties in with the half a million guns concept. In the E3 2008 demo, we were shown some sort of chest being opened by the player. Inside were a bunch of guns that the player could swap or instantly equip, as well as other items. Sweet.

Experience

I love leveling up in games. One of the most satisfying things in a game is gaining enough experience points to reach the next level, often times unlocking new abilities and weapons. This is what kept me coming back to Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and all the way up to 10th Prestige. I love getting experience. Borderlands seems to have a pretty neat experience system. Not only can you level up your character, but you can also gain experience for certain weapons. If I use the shotguns a lot, I'll level up my shotgun skill and will be more efficient in using them. Because there are so many guns, that part is really cool.

Cooperative Gameplay

One of the things I'm most excited about in this game is being able to hop online and play with other people without having to manage two different characters. The game looks awesome enough when playing without other players, but I really like the way Gearbox is handling it. If I'm playing the single player and I come across an awesome weapon I want to show to my friends (or just show it off to random players), I can hop online and do so without loosing anything I gained from the single player. The same goes for multiplayer too. If I'm playing with a high level player and he takes me and some others through a dangerous mine and I get some outstanding weapons, I can switch back to single player and use those in that game. That's just awesome. 

Pandora Is Huge

At least, that's what we've been told so far. If it's true, this game has the potential to hold people over for months. I really hope Borderlands is an open world game (can anyone confirm or deny this?) because I would love searching through mines and other settlements in search of different weapons and other items. Plus, it would just be fun to do.

It's Randy Pitchford

Randy Pitchford is one of my favorite dudes in the video game industry. I love his style and how passionate he is about his games. Anyone else notice how he has this grin on his face when talking about one of his upcoming titles? Lulz.

Well, those are my reasons why Borderlands has become my most anticipated title of this year, and why it has basically taken my interest away from Modern Warfare 2. Granted, I'll still get MW2, but I have a good feeling that Borderlands will be my game of the year.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ok. That's nice. I am still excited about MW 2. Despite being in vaguely the same genre, Borderlands and MW2 scratch different itches. Borderlands is like Diablo 2, but in a first person perspective, and Modern Warfare 2 is guaranteed to have a strong multiplayer component. 

And thusly, I am excited for both (although Borderlands isn't on my "must buy" list yet, but it's certainly getting there)

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'm just gonna get them both. =o

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I haven't seen anything that indicates Borderlands is a competent shooter. I can't sift through a game with iffy gameplay for that long again, even if everything else is pretty great. That's the core of the game, and I've barely seen any of it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

HOW DARE YOU BETRAY CALL OF DUTY! HERETIC! Actually, i can see why you like Borderlands more, COD is the same game everytime, always great, but never really different, Borderlands is innovative, and should be just as great. Also a million guns is easily the best game feature since... well..... i dont know when. I still have more interest in MW2, but im certainly going to check out Borderlands. 

I hope however, that this game has more loot then just guns, thats great, but i'd like to get some sort of armor or something.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @Mikemcn said:
    " HOW DARE YOU BETRAY CALL OF DUTY! HERETIC! Actually, i can see why you like borderlands more, COD is the same game everytime, always great, but never really different, Borderlands is innovative, and should be just as great. I still have more interest in MW2, but im certainly going to check out Borderlands. "
    I'm starting to realize how similar the Call of Duty games are getting. Regardless, I'll still get Modern Warfare because it looks like a great shooter. I just think Borderlands looks more exciting to me. Probably because I spent a long time playing Fallout 3 and Oblivion and loved both games, and I love shooters. 

Oh, and Randy Pitchford is awesome.
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I agree with you on everything except the art style. Cel-shading lost its luster after games were gutted with the style 4-6 years ago, mainly to lower polygon count and reduce frame rate dips. So it's not unique anymore, and though it does look sharp I do wish they rendered the game differently. Still, I don't think it will detract from the overall game, which is the important thing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
    @JacobForrest said:
    "  I agree with you on everything except the art style. Cel-shading lost its luster after games were gutted with the style 4-6 years ago, mainly to lower polygon count and reduce frame rate dips. So it's not unique anymore, and though it does look sharp I do wish they rendered the game differently. Still, I don't think it will detract from the overall game, which is the important thing. "
    The thing is, I've never played a cel-shaded game in my life. That's probably why I like the new style this game so much. It feels new to me.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm glad to see others are starting to feel the same way as me about Borderlands.  Modern Warfare 2 I can count on to deliver the goods, but really, it won't be anything exciting.  This game looks refreshing in the field of shooting games as of late.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE

Not interested at the moment. Will probably try it out and see if it really is "that" awesome. If not I'll just wait for Diablo 3.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JamesF

I'm like 99% sure it's open-world.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By raddevon

I'm right there with you, @natetodamax. Borderlands is the first game I have preordered since Halo 2. While I'm sure Modern Warfare 2 will be a fantastic game, I'm just not interested in more of the same. This game captures me.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By fillmoejoe

That new art style has me interested but the million guns doesn't. You can add a ribbon or a green scope and that could count as a new gun. Yes Borderlands does have some good selling points but Modern Warfare 2 just has that insane multiplayer that'll have me playing for months.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nick69

Borderlands has some cool ideas, and great art-style, but modern warfare 2 is going to be an extremely well-rounded and addictive game...possibly even a better game.  Infinity Ward brings in something new into each iteration of Call of Duty, like the jump from 2 to 4 was astounding, about how much replayability they added, fantastic graphics, and a multiplayer that kept you hooked for months on end. 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

I will be getting these both as well. Although I have been aware of this game for a while, but it was only recent Bombcast talk that really got me interested in it. I am still staying reserved about it for now but I am getting more and more excited to be playing this game as time goes on. I can potentially see this game killing my interest in MW2 really quickly as historically Call of Duty games get me really pumped but I move on really quickly as well.

Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Defias

Deeply excited for both and will buy both. I however don't look up MW2 at all as I know infinity ward makes solid and consistent games so I don't have keep tabs as I am sure it will be good. With borderlands I am getting really amped so I keep reading about it, discussing it and watching videos. It does consume more of my interest but that's due to it being a new IP. Hopefully and I'm sure they will deliver an awesome experience. R.P. is a cool guy

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zombie2011
    @natetodamax said:
    " @JacobForrest said:
    "  I agree with you on everything except the art style. Cel-shading lost its luster after games were gutted with the style 4-6 years ago, mainly to lower polygon count and reduce frame rate dips. So it's not unique anymore, and though it does look sharp I do wish they rendered the game differently. Still, I don't think it will detract from the overall game, which is the important thing. "
    The thing is, I've never played a cel-shaded game in my life. That's probably why I like the new style this game so much. It feels new to me. "
    What? You need to go get a copy of Crackdown and have some fun.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By natetodamax
    @zombie2011: Ah, totally forgot about Crackdown. I borrowed it from a friend for a few months. Great game.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan

Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 are gonna keep me busy this fall

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By copycatzen
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    "I'm just gonna get them both. =o "

I am with you
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree with you completely, Borderlands really took me by surprise, and tops Call of Duty on my list because of it's uniqueness.

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZombieJesus

Am I the only one who thinks this game is gonna be a flop.? 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By natetodamax
    @ZombieJesus said:
    " Im the only one who thinks this game is gonna be a flop. "
    Care to elaborate?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I still have more interest in MW2, but im certainly going to check out Borderlands.   "
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By VWGTI

I heard the controls were atrocious. Hopefully they can iron them out before the October release. It sure sounds like a promising game, but I really see it just being a decent title - nothing more. Hopefully I'm wrong though.  

Alpha Protocol and Borderlands are the most interesting console games coming out this year.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PercyChuggs

The appeal of the amount of guns will wear off once you realize...THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING, SHOOT GUYS. But oh boy, this one has a BLUE nozzle thingy on the top!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.