Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Brace Yourself: Activision Will Announce the Next Call of Duty on May 1

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#151  Edited By TadThuggish

Alright.

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By EDfromRED

I enjoyed Black Ops much more than MW3. I found the storyline of Black Ops much more memorable and the Multiplayer was more inovative. The Multiplayer maps in Black Ops had a lot more variety, and without that quick scope garbage the games were more fun. I like the Zombies mode as well --though not a die hard Zombie player, it's inclusion shows a sense of humor that is lacking in other shooters that take themselves too seriously.

Everytime I hear about a new CoD game, I wonder what Respawn has up it's sleeve. Wonder if E3 will have any reveals?

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By toowalrus
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By toowalrus

I'll break the tread: Black Ops was, (like all of it's predecessors), totally stupid, and totally fun. I understand why people hate the franchise, but after 11-months, I'm down to blow some dudes up using remote-control cars (or whatever crazy nonsense they come up with to try to top that. Actually, it'll have been 23 months, because I skipped MW3. I've liked Treyarch more than IW since World at War, anyway.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By chilipeppersman

@TheVampireBoy: ROFL black ops was gay, and treyarch kinda sucks monkey nuts, but im still curious........

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#157  Edited By Vodun

Call of Duty: ARMA. Ultra realism. No more perks, no more running and gunning. You will be walking around for 2 hours without anything happening, then you'll take a sniper bullet to the head and have to start all over again.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#158  Edited By Vinny_Says

black ops but in modern time, so prototype weapons set to come out in 20 years. Oh wait Ghost recon kind of does that already....

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I'm sorry, Call of Duty? Lost interest after 3, the series stagnated much like MoH, and frankly I hate perks, and all this nonsense. I'll be playing good games while you idiots throw your money into the same old Dog and Pony show. RO2 is way better than COD these days.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By MmaFanQc

Copy and paste, as usual.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#161  Edited By Tordah

Ugh. Announcing and announcement. Why is this neccessary?

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Wacomole

This year's great innovation in weaponry... mechs that fire exploding virulent hamsters. 'S gonna be huuuuuge!

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Mercer

Ok everyone, point your pointer finger in the air, twirl it around and say "Oh a new COD...WOOP-DE-DOOO"

Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Quint

Honestly does anyone give a shit about this violated franchise any more?

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Jerome85

@shivermetimbers said:

Wouldn't it be cool if it were Call of Gandhi and instead of solving conflicts with guns and explosives, you solve problems with peaceful protest and sacrifice?

Lol you should play Civilization because Gandhi is an asshole in those games.

Anyways, a lot of these comments are the usual non COD player smart ass remarks, at least be creative. With that said, I'm looking forward to the next COD, but in the meantime will be playing MW3 because it like all other COD games are still fun to me.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#166  Edited By Claude

If they say we have a ten hour single player campaign, that might prick up my ears.

Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Quint

I'd honestly be more excited about this release if Activision marketed it completely honestly:

"Here's another Call of Duty game that we got a bunch of nerds we have locked in a cupboard to shit out, it's got guns and foreigners to point them at, it's basically the same as all the others but you thick fucks are going to buy it anyway.

Lots of moneeyeerrrrr I mean love,

Activision"

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#168  Edited By tebbit

I brought Modern Warfare 2 for $129 NZD, for the PC, when the standard price for PC games here is $99. Sure, I thought, this is a landmark release. I guess I'll do it.

When they did the same thing with each subsequent game (and I should note, these are just the STANDARD editions - the deluxe-ier ones are much more expensive) I decided I didn't need to play the same game with incremental improvements. So hey, how about don't charge $129 for this one, huh?

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#169  Edited By umdesch4

I feel so damned old. The first COD game I saw, I immediately looked at it and went "how did they make the id tech 3 engine look and perform so badly?!" I keep watching to see if they're ever going to arrive at the fast, fluid, and accurate gameplay of the games that originally used that engine (eg. Quake III Arena), but alas, they continue to make things wonkier, more plodding, with crazier hitboxes, and goofier predictive netcode. Not interested....so get off my lawn (damned kids).

Avatar image for deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f
    deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same old military shooter. We need Sci Fi.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#171  Edited By WickedCobra03

I will not care until May 2nd when I get around to watching the video if I do. I don't mind CoD, but teasers are not my style at all (they actually actively turn me off from personal experience). Black Ops 2 is just about all I know or care about right now. Everything past that, I will catch up on around E3 or hell, in fall before the game comes out to see if I want it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By ShaggE

I actually wouldn't mind a sequel to the Blops story.

Darksideshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Darksideshadow

LOL @ all the "couldn't care less" hipster, cool cat comments! I don't have Facebook and I stuck my nose up at Instagram, I don't tweet.

The only thing getting stale is haters who bother posting how little they care.Then buy the game and whine because they get owned by 13 year olds. GTFO! :P

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By koobz

@Tordah said:

No publicity is bad publicity? I mean I don't play CoD, but now I'm thinking about it. I don't think it's necessary that they announce announcements, it's just an easy, cheap way to get word going down the grape vine to GET HYPE.

I mean, it probably cost them like 5 cents to send out the press email to a zillion outlets and like $3 to pay for the employee time it took to write it. And in doing so they've probably already guaranteed a couple thousand pre-orders.

Also in this case the cross-promotional thing with TNT and the NBA is probably going to boost viewership and ad revenue pretty significantly for a few hours since a bunch of people who don't give a shit about NBA on TNT will watch for the chance to see a TOTALLY EPIC COMMERCIAL and then tweet about it hella cool-style.

Cellardoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Cellardoor

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Call of Duty: Duty Harder.

I lol'ed

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#176  Edited By avantegardener

I'm guessing this is going to be the last game with the 'classic COD' experience given it's a direct sequel, although I did enjoy BLOPS. I suspect, mind you, this will the last COD in this style. Absolutely no way they could possibly sell us the same game formula in the main franchise after this, surely!

Doomzug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Doomzug

Really who even cares anymore . Where's my alien space shooter......wait Halo comes out in the fall lol

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Quantical

Quick, shoot people! Blow up Mars while you are there. Or not. BOOOOOOMM!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By penguindust

Maybe they'll surprise us and it will be a single-player only title.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gary Oldman is in this one again it will increase the odds of me caring. Also guns. I hope there's guns.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#181  Edited By helios1337

@Tordah said:

I was wondering this as well since most of the staff was complaining about kickstarter funded games not being worth a news post. Yeah, they aren't funded yet, but they are announced, much more interesting and have just about as much chance of coming out as a publisher backed game *cough* Prey 2 *cough*.

mercer476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By mercer476

i like to shop at the duty free shop, i like to shop at the duty free shop

Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Alwaysrun

I still like shooters but COD games have always gave me that Marcel Marseau feeling as I vainly attempt to find an opening in the invisible walls that box me into the developers narrow path to objectives. The entire level progression style where enemies are unlimited and the only true way to beat your opponents is to cross the next invisible line in the sand. My cup of apathy is half full.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

BLOPS was the best online COD in my opinion, really balanced and you couldnt get killstreaks from killstreaks which was good.

TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By TigerDX

@xbob42: Yeah, America is the world after all. Why else would they call it the World Series when only America competes?

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By MrBoBo

@RazielCuts said:

A giant 'who cares'

About 20 million people. Alot of them saying they wont buy it hate it, but buying it anyway.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#187  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@umdesch4 said:

I feel so damned old. The first COD game I saw, I immediately looked at it and went "how did they make the id tech 3 engine look and perform so badly?!" I keep watching to see if they're ever going to arrive at the fast, fluid, and accurate gameplay of the games that originally used that engine (eg. Quake III Arena), but alas, they continue to make things wonkier, more plodding, with crazier hitboxes, and goofier predictive netcode. Not interested....so get off my lawn (damned kids).

I'd say Call of Duty 4 did look pretty damn good for it's time, and when you disabled most effects, it did run fine on hardware from the RTCW era (and still looked a lot better than the Counter-strike style mods for RTCW and Quake 3). But there has barely been any improvements at all on the graphical side since 2007, while the performance have gotten a lot worse in the subsequent games. Claiming the COD games never looked good is an exaggeration bordering on blatant lie though.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#188  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@AiurFlux said:

Call of Duty 4 changed shooters back in 2006 all by itself. It's rather poetic that the Call of Duty series is evidently going to be the decline of that very same genre. People are, and will, get sick of it and the entire genre will feel the effects because everybody hopped aboard the failtrain and put all their creative eggs in a single bandwagon. ActiVi$on has beat that horse almost dry. They might still sell copies, but I think it's more of an obligation for people to buy it instead of actually enjoying the games now.

Thing that really showed this to me was actual real life friends (shocking I know, I have friends) saying that they're not going to buy any of the future games because they're, "Getting sick of it. It's the same old shit every year with nothing new. Even the problems are the fucking same." Anybody can bitch on the internet, but when actual people are saying things face to face it's totally different.

I wonder how well Modern Warfare 3 sold the weeks after release. The previous COD games seem to have had a rather long tail of sales after release, considering they could still charge full price for them for up to 2-3 years. MW3 unlike any other COD games (except maybe World at War and COD3) dropped in price significantly just a month after release. Everywhere I go now, even the more expensive stores, MW3 is cheaper than Black Ops, and only a few bucks more than MW2.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@MrBoBo said:

@RazielCuts said:

A giant 'who cares'

About 20 million people. Alot of them saying they wont buy it hate it, but buying it anyway.

So true. Everyone Call of Duty fan I know bought 3 and hated it, then went back to 2. But activision still go tthe sale

metroidmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By metroidmen

Why do I have a feeling they plan to pull some Free to Play bull...

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By sonicrift

I didn't really think Blops's story was that strong. I buy these things for the single player, and I didn't find it especially memorable. I think one thing that really hurt that game was Sam Worthington's bad impression of an American accent (when he remembered he was supposed to be doing one). Dump him, and I might be interested.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#192  Edited By AndrewB

If this article exists, hasn't it already been announced?

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By TheMartino

Finally, a 7th Call of Duty title for my Xbox 360/PS3!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#194  Edited By MeatSim

Call of Duty: Charles Barkley's Revenge.

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Zoidberg54

AAAhhhh! I'm so.... startled.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#196  Edited By mikemcn

Let it be something cool, COD: SPACE WARFARE, COD: The Captain Price Beard Chronicles (Where did he get the beard? What does it mean?), COD: Resource Wars (China wants our oil, give 'um what for!), COD: The RTS, COD: CIA Agent, COD: This time, there's Realism.

I should go work at Treyarch. Knowing them it'll be Black Ops 2 and be another remake of the same game. I thought Black Ops was fine, but comeon, you can be creative and still get massive sales.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#197  Edited By Dynablade

Unless there is an option to shove a pinapple up Saddam Husein's ass I'll take a pass.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Subjugation

Black Ops: Near Future Warfare

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By solidejake

I know what day I will not tune in!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Bigandtasty

If you get Metta World Peace I get to un-retire Bruce Bowen, complete with the Dragon Kick special move.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.