Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

No dedicated servers on PC, thank god.

• 73 results
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Apparently MW3 on PC will not have dedicated servers Which in my mind is absolutely fantastic. Call of Duty is a game where people feel the need to bitch about everything. So when you give people control over the server rules, they proceed to make everything incredibly lame.

"Umm excuse me, this is a crouch only server. I'll kick you if you stand up again!" (Seriously, people try and balance the game on PC by making everyone do nothing but crouch walk, there are dozens of servers like this.) or you find a server where they ban noobtubes, or last stand, or the Famas, or Ghost, or something equally stupid. Add to that, hundreds of 24/7 Nuketown servers and Admins that will kick you for getting a better score then them and it makes it all a seriously pissy experience.

Dedicated servers are meant for slower games, Battlefield needs them because when your going to be playing the same round for half an hour or so. You want to have a consistent experience. But in COD, the round will last maybe 10 minutes at most. Having a matchmaking system works for that length of game because if the host changes and theres more lag, you'll only have to deal with it for a fraction of the time. It also makes jumping in and out of a game so much easier, just hit a button and play, rather than spend time finding a low ping server and then hoping it doesn't crash.

Dedicated servers are great in alot of games, but not Call of Duty. (At least not the Call of Duty we know today.)

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

do the official dedicated servers not rectify this?  
    on consoles when there are no custom dedicated servers its always better.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jtmosh

I love CoD haters tears, so this is great news.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Three0neFive

i dont want to live on this planet anymore

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikemcn

@buft said:

do the official dedicated servers not rectify this? on consoles when there are no custom dedicated servers its always better.

I never really found too many people on the official servers, there was rarely a consistent playerbase for them. You leave and come back the next day and they'd all be completely empty. They also we're spread out very well, so the ping wasn't as good.

Also, I feel like matchmaking is the multiplayer experience Infinity Ward wanted us to have in MW2, when you add dedicated servers it changes the experience.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By emem

What? That's horrible.. it may be fine for consoles, but that's the reason why I didn't buy MW2.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikemcn

@emem said:

What? That's horrible.. it may be fine for consoles, but that's the reason why I didn't buy MW2

I think I was pissed about dedicated servers when MW2 was announced as not having them. But then I tried it and had a much smoother experience.

@billnyethesciencepie said:

Yeah HOW DARE WE HAVE MORE OPTIONS FOR PLAY HOW DARE WE

But dedicated servers didn't give anymore options in Black Ops, all you had was other people limiting what you could do. You could also do a hell of alot in a private match in MW2. If you want freedom just wait until they hack MW3.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

That's terrible.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By ArcBorealis

Getting rid of dedicated servers for the examples and reasons you gave is the reason why we can't have nice things.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Animasta

I have never, ever had a problem like what you're describing for black ops.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

I agree with the OP! Taking away peoples abilities to customize the game how they want is always a great thing! Who wants to waste the 20 seconds it takes to find a new server when you join one that has rules you don't like, or to find one that you like and just bookmark it so you can comeback to it every night and play with the same group of awesome people. Right on man! Down with choice! Freedom is for losers!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269

lol CoD on PC lol

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By Cirdain
    @Mikemcn said:

Apparently MW3 on PC will not have dedicated servers Which in my mind is absolutely fantastic. Call of Duty is a game where people feel the need to bitch about everything. So when you give people control over the server rules, they proceed to make everything incredibly lame.

"Umm excuse me, this is a crouch only server. I'll kick you if you stand up again!" (Seriously, people try and balance the game on PC by making everyone do nothing but crouch walk, there are dozens of servers like this.) or you find a server where they ban noobtubes, or last stand, or the Famas, or Ghost, or something equally stupid. Add to that, hundreds of 24/7 Nuketown servers and Admins that will kick you for getting a better score then them and it makes it all a seriously pissy experience.

Dedicated servers are meant for slower games, Battlefield needs them because when your going to be playing the same round for half an hour or so. You want to have a consistent experience. But in COD, the round will last maybe 10 minutes at most. Having a matchmaking system works for that length of game because if the host changes and theres more lag, you'll only have to deal with it for a fraction of the time. It also makes jumping in and out of a game so much easier, just hit a button and play, rather than spend time finding a low ping server and then hoping it doesn't crash.

OH YEAH!!! I was playing the free multiplayer weekend and then then I was kicked because I had last stand on and I asked ever yone how to turn it off and no-one would tell me then I was kicked (I know now) and those stupid fucking crouch servers!! Seriously that's fucking stupid.
    Dedicated Servers are not the problem though. Not at all. It's the stupid people that play it that suck the most.

I remember the COD4 PC people were ok. I figure that's because of that game having so many battlefield and counter-strike people playing it. Speaking of which, Counter-Strike is still awesomes and so is CS:S.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thehexeditor

Fucking hate dedicated servers for black ops.

24/7 NUKETOWN

X GUNS ONLY

NO THIS NO THAT

CROUCH ONLY (WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @thehexeditor said:

24/7 NUKETOWN

X GUNS ONLY

NO THIS NO THAT

Don't join those ones then? Is this such a hard concept? 90% of them have said rules in the title of the server ffs.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Scooper

How else will I get to play Zombie mod maps or Rifles only. That's why COD2 is still amazing. It had a huge community and none of the lame shit you mention there.

Solidfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Solidfox

I know how to fix this... Counter Strike!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikemcn

@Scooper said:

How else will I get to play Zombie mod maps or Rifles only. That's why COD2 is still amazing. It had a huge community and none of the lame shit you mention there.

Loved COD2 Multiplayer, I put 100s of hours into it. But it was a different game from the COD of today.

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pieman32

Battlefield 3 multilayer gameplay on Tuesday guys, that is all.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rockdalf

Someone correct if my line of reasoning is wrong. 

No dedicated server means no server admin > no server admin means no kick functionality > no kick functionality means the inevitable wave of hackers, who will ruin this game before the VAC system kicks in, will have their way? 

No thanks, MW3.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bellmont42

*mumble mumble* alteriw.net *mumble mumble* something something mw2 dedicated servers. *cough*

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper
    @Mikemcn said:

@Scooper said:

Loved COD2 Multiplayer, I put 100s of hours into it. But it was a different game from the COD of today.

I'm reinstalling it now, as we speak. I too put soo many hours into COD2, it was amazing. I actually installed that Black Ops free weekend thing on Steam and after 10 minutes I just quit and uninstalled it. It doesn't even come close to COD2 in terms of playabilty. It looks like crap, too. Even on max settings, COD2 looks better imo. Black Ops is soo washed out and looks horrible.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

Thank god.
    The decision has been made for me.
    Now I know when to stop buying COD.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

lol lol lol lol lol lol

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@Mikemcn said:

Also, I feel like matchmaking is the multiplayer experience Infinity Ward wanted us to have in MW2, when you add dedicated servers it changes the experience.

sorry ... but what? So the "experience" IW wants us to have is crappy matchmaking where the host always has a huge advantage and you getting a decent ping is pretty much luck? Not to speak of the communitys that form around decicated servers. Half of my friendslist in steam are people I met on the TF2 server I play on. Well ... if THAT is the experience they want us to have ... nah, thanks.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

That's terrible.

That said, there are way better options than CoD on the PC.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thehexeditor

@CL60: the fucking problem is that there's too many of these servers and i need to hunt for a regular one.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Binman88
    @Mikemcn

How many servers do you need? Could you not find enough with normal rules (ie. everything goes, but at least there are admins there to get rid of retards)? I played around 300 hours of MW1 online on the PC, most of those hours being spent in the same two servers, with no rules or restrictions. The benefits of having consistent servers for people to play in, which are monitored by a decent group of administrators far outweigh the minor negatives that come with providing dedicated server support. Behind dedicated servers, you usually have clans that take active measures to remove cheaters and griefers, and indeed also remove those idiots responsible for throwing around hacking accusations because they can't stand losing.  

As for restrictions, well, most of the restrictions you mentioned are indeed retarded. However, it's only right that the server owner/renter should be allowed to enforce any rules they please - it's up to you to find a server that suits your play style. I used to be in a Raven Shield clan, and in its heyday, our server was at maximum capacity from mid-afternoon well into the night thanks in no small part to our handling of the server. People knew what to expect when they joined our server, the one rule was very clearly stated (no camping), and everything was fine and dandy for a number of years until the game lost popularity and members of the clan went off and did other things. Also, independent groups such as Respected Admins could be joined and a corresponding RA symbol could be applied to your server name to let everyone know that the server was run in the interest of fair play (ie. no unfair treatment, bans or kicks.) As for your point about finding servers, most server lists have filters for pings, player counts, full or empty servers, game type, map type etc. and also have a handy favourites list to bypass the searching altogether once you've found what you're looking for. Over the years we ran our Raven Shield server, I'd say it "crashed" 6 or 7 times. The server would simply restart itself (usually instantaneously) and the players would rejoin. 

There will always be idiots with enough money to rent their own server who enforce stupid rules or are just plain unfair when it comes to dealing with the players who join. I've been banned numerous times after barely 3 or 4 minutes of game time because someone thought I was cheating or "suspicious". It's an unfortunate problem that comes with dedicated servers, but don't think that people in favour of dedicated servers are somehow impervious to these problems. I hate shitty servers as much as the next sensible person. All sensible people want to do is play in a fair environment and have fun, whether that be a match-made game or on a dedicated server. The point is, dedicated servers enable those people, such as yourself I'm sure, to find somewhere decent to play and have the added benefit of consistency and reliability. Simply add a handful of servers to a list of favourites and you're pretty much set. I much prefer that process compared to the random pairings I end up with on match-making services. I would say match-making is great for getting you into the action nice and quick, but that's barely even true when I can double click a server from a list of favourites and bypass all the waiting involved in pairing me up with some randomers from across the globe and avoids the inevitable host-migrating that occurs during a game. In MW1, I'd boot up the game, go the server list, double click the server I wanted to join and the whole process would take 20 seconds at most? In MW2 you had to load up Steam, start the game, get your friends in a party, start the match-making search, wait half a minute for the search to figure out what the fuck it needed to do and wait another half a minute while it attempted to compile a list of players (failing more often than not). Once you were into a game, you'd damned well hope the randomers it paired you with were decent human beings, and that the host the game chose is good enough to support a lag free experience, or else you'd have to start the whole long process again. At least with dedicated servers, if you join a bad one, you can immediately leave and try another in no time. 

Even if for some reason you're still adamantly against dedicated servers (at which point I can figure your only reason for doing so would be to troll people who appreciate their inclusion in online games), what would be wrong with providing both a match-making and dedicated server service? I can appreciate that some people would rather just click play and wait the minute or two rather than having to find a server, so I'm not against match-making in games at all. 

Anyway, I have no intention of whining about the game itself. I just have zero intention of buying it. It's not really a problem. I just find it weird that some people can't see the benefits of dedicated servers, and actively go out of their way to label them as something they're not. 
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By laserbolts
    So people cry when there are no dedicated servers and then complain when there is? Fuck sakes.
    McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McBEEF
    @Scooper:Do you know if COD 2's multiplayer still on the go? I might install it again if it still has some players.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MiniPato

Like a wife convincing herself that her abusive husband loves her.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By metal_mills

lol what a joke. I'm done with CoD anyway. Bring on Battlefield 3.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360
    @Mikemcn: Aww man i was on that crouch only server it was soooo bad. They banned me from server cause i was prone >_>
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iamjohn

People are actually trying to argue this is a good thing? Are you for fucking real?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sjupp

@iAmJohn said:

People are actually trying to argue this is a good thing? Are you for fucking real?

This.

If there are tons of servers and dedicated servers gives you the option to not join them! Jesus christ..

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Marz

Reason why PC gamers love dedicated servers... no one has host advantage.   You can find a server where your Ping doesn't feel like shit.  It's not hard to see why matchmaking was replaced years ago on the PC for dedicated servers.

example of host advantage.

This is an example of a bootleg dedicated server on the consoles (they are using gamedunzo), everyone seems to be on an even playing field.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turambar
    @thehexeditor said:

24/7 NUKETOWN

X GUNS ONLY

NO THIS NO THAT

Final Destination?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ch13696
    @Mikemcn: You understand that every Call of Duty game since 4 had official servers along with dedicated servers (except for MW2 which just has official servers). So if there's a problem with dedicated servers, then go to the official ones. Trust me, a lot more PC people feel a lot happier when they can decide what rules to have.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By groin

Honestly dude, dedicated servers are the best thing about multiplayer PC gaming. It allows people to play the game however they want. Dedicated servers are not meant for slower games. The Quake games, which make COD games look like snail racing, worked well with dedicated servers. Dedicated servers allows a player to find a reliable place to play instead of rolling the dice with a matchmaking service.

There are also some downsides to dedicated servers. I remember getting kicked/banned from many COD1 servers because the admins taught I was cheating. I believe the correct term is 'hackusation'. Around 18 months after COD1 came, it became difficult to find a server running the non-modified game. Nearly every server had unannounced tweaks to the game rules(e.g., more recoil on automatics, slower walk speed, etc). Eventually you find a standard server only to get 'hackused' by the admins.

Anyway, I will not play MW3 on the PC because of religious reasons (no dedicated servers).

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Subjugation
    @laserbolts said:
    So people cry when there are no dedicated servers and then complain when there is? Fuck sakes.
    Makes total sense right?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scooper
    @McBEEF said:
    @Scooper:Do you know if COD 2's multiplayer still on the go? I might install it again if it still has some players.
    Just played about an hour of it. Fantastic.  

There's still a good amount of people playing the game. A bunch of full servers (plenty more with no Punkbuster enabled but I don't play those because of hackers). I found an unmodded server and had a good old time. 

Make sure you get the 1.3 patch before you play, though.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mikemcn

@CL60 said:

@thehexeditor said:

24/7 NUKETOWN

X GUNS ONLY

NO THIS NO THAT

Don't join those ones then? Is this such a hard concept? 90% of them have said rules in the title of the server ffs.

I found a dozen or so severs that didnt have that, then the map pack came out and now I only had one server I could play on without getting booted for not having the DLC.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikemcn

@Binman88: Im not against dedicated servers, im against dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 3.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

@Mikemcn: I don't know. It seems you're trolling dedicated server fans to me. No matter the game, options are glorious.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mendelson9

During the Steam free weakened for Black Ops it took forever to find a vanilla server. I would be happy for Matchmaking and no server list for that game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mikemcn

@Claude said:

@Mikemcn: I don't know. It seems you're trolling dedicated server fans to me. No matter the game, options are glorious.

Im sorry you read it like that then.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Claude

@Mikemcn said:

@Claude said:

Maybe trolling is too harsh a word. More like poking them where it hurts. PC fans sure do like their options.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Claude said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Claude said:

Maybe trolling is too harsh a word. More like poking them where it hurts. PC fans sure do like their options.

Come on now, what's PC gaming without options?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Claude

@SlasherMan said:

@Claude said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Claude said:

Come on now, what's PC gaming without options?

That's why I PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.