Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

COD: World at War PC Beta impression!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

So after recieving a code for the beta and putting a few hours into the game i figured i'd write up a small summary of how i feel about it based on the four or five hours i've spent playing it. And i have to say my initial impressions of the game based on this beta are pretty low, i'm not feeling the love at all for COD:WaW if i'm being perfectly honest with you all. I know that its a beta and having taken part in a large number of them i know the quality of a game in its beta stage is never really that great. But a beta is essentially a demo of sorts and as the saying goes, first impressions are everything.

WaW is pretty similar to COD4 in terms of its performance on my PC and its visuals which are really good. Thats always a big plus in my book, a game which runs well and looks good when settings are turned up on an older and somewhat aged PC like mine is. The WW2 setting is also pretty cool aswell, i didn't think i would enjoy it that much as i tend to fall into the anti-WW2 games camp most of the time.

However thats really all i did like about the beta for WaW. The gunplay, kill streak awards, perks and general gameplay is far too similar to COD4, infact i think the best way to summarise WaW is that its COD4 with a paint job. A lot of the perks are similar or exact copies of COD4's, the challenges aswell, the way in which players can call in recon planes, artillery strikes or dogs, yes dogs...but having been killed by them a few times i can only assume they are hounds from the pits of hell itself. All very reminiscent of COD4.

The artillery strikes i can deal with, they can be useful and provide some "lol" moments if you are killed by them, especially if a leg or arm gets blown off. But the recon plane seems weird in a WW2 setting and calling in dogs to essentially hunt down and kill the other teams players is frankly just fucking absurd. Surprisingly the dogs can be killed rather easily and didn't pose that much of a threat like the helicopter in COD4, but the constant barking they make and the fact there are killer dogs in WaW just put me off. Honestly who thought dogs would be an awesome kill streak reward?....fucking dogs?...why not just have Cerberus or Werewolves?

Then of course there is the gunplay and oh boy was this annoying for not only me but  a large number of people on the server i was playing on tonight. Generally aiming, recoil and the "feel" of the guns is all very strange. The gunplay in WaW's beta seems for lack of a better word, inconsistant. When a thompson SMG going "full auto" at long range can be more accurate than a rifle you have to question the ballistics physics in the game or the general hitbox issues it might have. Then of course there is the fact that rifles become 1-shot-kills instantly when a scope is attatched to them but require multiple shots when no scope is attatched. Strange to say the least.

Generally i just felt the gunplay in WaW was not that great, the weapons are not that exciting and aiming seems easier if you close your eyes completely. It pays more to just spray n pray and hope you hit something infront of you, and the chances are the bullet will go through 2 wooden doors, a sheet of metal and still grab you a headshot. Thats also another issue i found with WaW, the same issue i have with COD4, bullets going through the enviroment. It just seems too hit or miss and often left me thinking that nothing was safe to take cover behind which is annoying as FPS games need reliable cover. I refuse to reload my gun in the open and get killed by that god damn Xanos233 guy again!

But i will give WaW one big piece of praise over COD4 and thats the low amount of grenade spam i witnessed. In COD4 its almost guaranteed most of your deaths will be caused by grenades, not players actively shooting you with guns. In the case of WaW though i found pretty much all of my deaths were caused by bullets and not someone chucking grenades about like crazy. However i think WaW needs a new perk, the "Tent" perk, because god damn is it full of campers. So much so that i was too scared to leave my secret spot for fear of having 10 campers all pepper me with bullets. So in the end i just camped myself and waited for someone to walk past my explosives, but everyone else was too busy pitching tents and camping.

Overall i really feel from this beta that WaW is too similar to COD4 in a number of ways but yet isn't as good as COD4 in a number of ways so to put it in a more simple manner WaW for me was like a poor mans COD4. Its like pepsi to coca cola, we all know they look and taste the same but cola is clearly and obviously the better choice out of the two. I know its only a beta and things will likely improve but as i said at the start, first impressions are everything.

Hamz

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

And COD2 is Vanilla Coke.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz
    DualReaver said:
    "And COD2 is Vanilla Coke."
    Couldn't agree more really. If you want a solid WW2 FPS game then yeah COD2 is a good choice. WaW is just a little better looking but lacking the substance to back those good looks up. Kind of like Paris Hilton i guess?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Hamz said:
    "DualReaver said:
    "And COD2 is Vanilla Coke."
    Couldn't agree more really. If you want a solid WW2 FPS game then yeah COD2 is a good choice. WaW is just a little better looking but lacking the substance to back those good looks up. Kind of like Paris Hilton i guess?"

Your saying this on the evidence of the MP Beta alone :?.

I agree with some of your views but certainly not all. In all honesty I feel a lot of all of the criticisms I am reading around are based largely on the fact that it's a Treyarch game and not Infinity Ward one. It really has very little to nothing to do with the aspects of the game shown to the audience.  I personally think the developers have done a really great job, certainly on the evidence of this PC Beta, which is improved from the 360 version.

The MP maps I have played I think are designed very well, they are detailed and have aspects that are asking to be exploited. If you have the required degree of skill of course.
    I have to disagree, I actually found the weaponry to be really good fun, it's very satisfying to use even if it's well familiar now to most CoD vets including me. They have increased the feel of those weapons and have made them more fun to use in doing so.

I have not had a chance to take control of the new inclusion that is the Flamethrower yet, but I can imagine it being used well in this game very easily when I hit level 65.

I love the inclusion of Tanks, I have been on a few charging killing sprees in them and they are so much fun to use, you simply have to be careful of heavy artillery and be ready to jump Tank at any given moment. They are not the ticking time bombs that others are making out, they simply have to be used well, as with any weapon. In my eyes the Tank's bring a welcome gameplay dynamic to the CoD MP game and I am all for their inclusion.

The dogs, I do agree with you, this inclusion is really quite annoying on the evidence of what I have played so far, really annoying. The RSPCA would not have liked to hear what I was screaming about man best friend over voice chat earlier lol. The thing is they take 2-3 shots to go down!, one shot should take them the ____ out! (sorry dog lovers). They also have this habit of sneaking up on you when you least would want them to. The amount of times I have seen people take nice clean kills only to be savaged to death from behind by a dog straight after is comical.

When the dog call goes out you have to take action immediately, move into a safest area possible and hide lying in wait. Finding those safe places within the map to hide in is the problem though, especially on a Beta.  It's not easy at all when they are vacant already. It's almost like musical chairs only you end up getting shot in the face instead of failing off a chair. You could hide from the Helicopter easily in the last game, but with these dogs it's so much harder. I have even tried running through water so they lose my scent, seriously I actually fucking tried that through sheer desperation lol.

"Thats also another issue I found with WaW, the same issue I have with COD4, bullets going through the environment. It just seems too hit or miss and often left me thinking that nothing was safe to take cover behind which is annoying as FPS games need reliable cover. "

I don't think it's hit or miss at all. Once you become familiar with the maps you will know what's safe and what 's not, it also depends on what weaponry your enemy is using, if it a heavy artillery you are more likely to get killed, or it's a high caliber rifle used with accuracy same also.

I for one am impressed with it, I have put over 11 hours into it so far :D Give the game a chance I say, the single player is there also to be judged. I think that the single player will be awesome from all that I have read, some of the battles sound well and truly epic. The inclusion of Keifer Sutherland will only add to the story and cinematic qulities of the game. I am not expecting 9.5s but I do expect a very competent game which I feel this is already on the evidence of what I have played in MP.

It may not be "modern warfare" but I still find the setting and gameplay as equally exciting and as engaging as the last game.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DualReaver

My criticisms aren't based on this being made by Treyarch. I find the maps to be poorly designed, the spawn points to be whack and for all the weapons to lack any sort of character. Everything in the game feels like a cheap shitty version of everything in CoD4 and I'm not even a fan of CoD4, I preferred CoD2.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_
    DualReaver said:
    "My criticisms aren't based on this being made by Treyarch. I find the maps to be poorly designed, the spawn points to be whack and for all the weapons to lack any sort of character. Everything in the game feels like a cheap shitty version of everything in CoD4 and I'm not even a fan of CoD4, I preferred CoD2."
    I find the maps to be terribly designed, the spawn point placement is amateur at best, and the game feels like a badly done total conversion mod.

You knew I'd be here Dual. You knew it.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

Yeah pretty much agree with what Jayge said. I think anyone that just calls this "cod4 in WWII" or "cod4 with a paint job" as you stated, is giving it a huge compliment it doesn't quite deserve.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

I agree the spawn points are dodgy, you only have to spawn and get shot in the face to know something is wrong,  but that is the point of a Beta, to discover such issues. Any spawn issues can be rectified with good code changes, initiated by observation of the problems and why they are caused within Beta's. When I play a Beta and something is fucked up I will never be too critical, I will simply expect or demand that within the final game they are sorted out.

It's all too easy to say the game is fucked up, I think the gaming public needs to understand better that Beta's are a vital testing ground to build upon a foundation already created. I think many of us including I are guilty of being far too critical of games because of them. Sometimes they can taint opinion, it's my belief that the opinion was tainted beforehand in respect to many things in this new game.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DualReaver

Protip: It's more or less a demo.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

it 'is' a demo, 100%. The whole "well I know its a beta " thing that people always say really isn't valid at all.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

No it's a Beta, software that has distributed to selected users for the sole reason of testing before sale. A demo does not do that.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jayge_
    Linkyshinks said:
    "No it's a Beta, software that has distributed to selected users for the sole reason of testing before sale. A demo does not do that."
    It's not a beta in the true sense of a beta. It's the fake-beta that follows other fake-betas for high-profile games. It serves as a stress test and a hype builder. That is what this type of beta is for. The game is gold already. I'm pretty sure I heard about it going gold a week ago, although there hasn't been any super-official announcement. The game is fundamentally erroneous on several levels. They had no time to fix that. Waiting for a patch is not justification for buying it either. Seriously.
    MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I wasn't even able to connect to any servers while playing the PC beta. >.<

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

eh i'm one of the few people that think cod3 is actually a quality MP. the classes (not like the shitty cod4 ones) work really well in it. i am sad that they are making it more like 4

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru

I wasn't really expecting anything else. I hope Infinity Ward gets the rights to develop CoD games exclusively.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver
    brukaoru said:
    "I wasn't really expecting anything else. I hope Infinity Ward gets the rights to develop CoD games exclusively."
    IW Call of Duty games wouldn't come any faster so what'd be the point? And what?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
    DualReaver said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "I wasn't really expecting anything else. I hope Infinity Ward gets the rights to develop CoD games exclusively."
    IW Call of Duty games wouldn't come any faster so what'd be the point? And what?"
    Why have subpar games in between? IW wants the exclusive rights and they should have them. Also, it probably confuses casual gamers (who don't know or care to know about the developers of games in the franchise) of why the quality differs so much.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver

As long as they don't number them like the regular Call of Duty series game  I don't see a problem with it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

I don't think there's a problem with it as much as, at this point Treyarchs cod WWII games could be called something else, because I'm assuming IW is gonna keep going from modern to something new.

ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ChestyMcGee

I wasn't expecting much from WaW to be honest. When I first saw the trailer I immedietly though "meh". Looks like they're just remaking CoD2 with grittier graphics, sticking in some jungle and then saying: "look! you can burn shit!"... greeeeat. Not interested in the slightest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.