Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

I wish I liked COD.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

I'm sitting here with steam coming out of my ears cause all my friends are playing COD right nwo, thinking, "how can they like that stupid game". I think part of the reason I cant get into cod is because they they come out with new ones too often. I remember having a blast with the first Modern Warfare. But its just the same damn game every time. I get such a limited amount of time to game it just sucks seeing my friends online too but playing something else. I wish I liked COD.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I'm sitting here with steam coming out of my ears cause all my friends are playing COD right nwo, thinking, "how can they like that stupid game". I think part of the reason I cant get into cod is because they they come out with new ones too often. I remember having a blast with the first Modern Warfare. But its just the same damn game every time. I get such a limited amount of time to game it just sucks seeing my friends online too but playing something else. I wish I liked COD.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zajtalan

treyarch aint fuckin around mang

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Opus

I'd suggest that you rent it from Redbox or someplace, I don't think those games require online passes, so you can rent it for a weekend and get it all out of your system.

With the holidays coming up there's bound to be a sale, so if you realize you're in love with the game you can pick it up later for a discounted price.

There's nothing wrong with getting more of the same if that's what people enjoy, it happens with almost every sport game iteration, and it's the reason Call of Duty has yet to drastically change its formula. Millions of people love the game, doesn't mean it's for everyone, but those who do purchase it hopefully have a grand ol' time between insults. Maybe you're one of those millions and you aren't giving the game a fair shake.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By doobie

but its not the same game every time. all the assets are new as is the music and sound.

the gameplay might be the same but why fix what is not broken.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

What is it about the games that you don't like?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Giantstalker

@doobie said:

but its not the same game every time. all the assets are new as is the music and sound.

Exactly. The series pioneered this style of gameplay, it still works for millions of players. I'm having a great time in Black Ops II, just as I did in Black Ops, MW2, and MW1 (skipped 3, was busy at the time)

Chess hasn't changed much in like a thousand years, and it's a well-loved and cherished game. Call of Duty stays the similar for five years running, and people are going nuts. Sad to see.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

@laserbolts said:

If I had to pick one thing its that its a very frustrating game. I don't have enough time to dedicate to it to become good enough to have fun with it. so I'm just fodder for all the hardcore cod heads

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

Exactly. The series pioneered this style of gameplay, it still works for millions of players. I'm having a great time in Black Ops II, just as I did in Black Ops, MW2, and MW1 (skipped 3, was busy at the time)

Chess hasn't changed much in like a thousand years, and it's a well-loved and cherished game. Call of Duty stays the similar for five years running, and people are going nuts. Sad to see.

Okay, you can use your chess argument all you want, I still think its a crap game. Socom was like Chess, COD is checkers.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Giantstalker

@Devil240Z: Well I respect your opinion on it, obviously nothing will appeal to everybody. I'm just saying that staying the same is not inherently a bad thing, at least to me. All it means is that some people will generally always like it, and unfortunately others like yourself may never get into it.

I've preferred Battlefield for a long time now but I enjoy CoD as a side game, as I have for the past couple years. I play casually and generally hold my own too, find a combo that works for you and run with it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42

Just be glad you're not in my position. I actually like the games, but I also fucking hate them. Love everything about the gameplay and their whole system etc, but the maps just drives me crazy. It's the worst =(

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By StingerMK2

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

they dont put out a new version of chess every year, with a repaint, some minor rule changes and a multi-million dollar marketing budget. When you break it down like that it's kind of a pity that vidja-gaming has to keep evolving to keep people interested, board games nail the mechanics and a lot of the time thats enough to keep people coming back for years on end

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JonSmith

@Giantstalker said:

Maybe it's because I haven't purchased a chessboard in a LONG time, but they aren't generally around sixty dollars. And chess is a game of strategy. Call of Duty, in my experience, was more "I SAW YOU BEFORE YOU SAW ME AND NOW YOU'RE DEAD HA!" More luck based than skill.

Granted, that may be my experience because I too find Call of Duty monotonous, and thus only tried it to discover what the fuss is about, coming away unimpressed.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devil240Z

I want to make sure I apologize to every one. I'm not trying to shit on COD, or people who like it.

I just cant get into it. I find it totally unenjoyable. The action in it is like a coin toss. I saw you first so I win.

Back in the Socom days you actually had to use strategy, even aiming was a skill you needed to learn, In cod you just run around and auto aim at everything.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laserbolts

Call of duty isn't more luck based than skill. That doesn't even make any sense.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Giantstalker said:

You don't pay £45 for a new edition of chess every 12 months either.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YOU_DIED

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

they dont put out a new version of chess every year, with a repaint, some minor rule changes and a multi-million dollar marketing budget. When you break it down like that it's kind of a pity that vidja-gaming has to keep evolving to keep people interested, board games nail the mechanics and a lot of the time thats enough to keep people coming back for years on end

This. The chess argument is massively flawed. Chess is an intellectual game of patience, strategy, and planning. Call of Duty is a game where you sprint around small maps, spraying 14 year olds with machine guns while shouting 'YOLO!' and racist slurs. I could spend a lot of time explaining why it's bad and why it detracts from your intelligence, but instead I'll just leave this here:

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Sayishere

The game had addictive online gameplay, its fast intense and is kind of easy to play and be 'good'. I personally think the kill streaks in that series are amazing, it makes you feel like a god when you actually get like a 15 kill streak and get dogs or something.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

I hear TUNA's pretty tasty.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bell_End

@YOU_DIED said:

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

This. The chess argument is massively flawed. Chess is an intellectual game of patience, strategy, and planning. Call of Duty is a game where you sprint around small maps, spraying 14 year olds with machine guns while shouting 'YOLO!' and racist slurs. I could spend a lot of time explaining why it's bad and why it detracts from your intelligence, but instead I'll just leave this here:

sorry, but i don't need some smug cunt on youtube telling me what good or not.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By jacdg

@Bell_End said:

@YOU_DIED said:

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

Sure you do!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Bell_End said:

@YOU_DIED said:

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

You might wanna look up smug in the dictionary. Just because someone has a different opinion or taste than you doesn't make them a smug cunt. You haven't even watched the video, have you?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Sooty

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

If I had to pick one thing its that its a very frustrating game. I don't have enough time to dedicate to it to become good enough to have fun with it. so I'm just fodder for all the hardcore cod heads

It's not hard to get decent at COD, the game has the lowest skill barrier in FPS of these times.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Devil240Z

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

It's not hard to get decent at COD, the game has the lowest skill barrier in FPS of these times.

Okay well I guess I have a hard time dumbing myself down to their level then... I just want someone to bring back the thinking mans shooter.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

It's kind of a wierd argument to...

• A. ...say the CoD games are too similar year from year
    • B. ...say you ain't got enough time to get good at playing CoD

You had 5 years to get better at playing essentially the same game.

I'm a Battlefield player myself, and it's the same thing there - and Battlefield games change pretty much everything up from iteration to iteration - much more so than CoD. Playerskill is not something that gets reset everytime a new game comes out. A lot of it is transferable, and you'd be getting better and better at it, if you'd apply yourself. Of course, if you don't apply yourself, you won't ever get good at anything.

Also - anybody who doesn't play Most Wanted right now is a pansy anyways. Why would you want to play with your pansy friends then? As far as I'm concerned, Most Wanted's got the compulsive multiplayer du jour.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

@Devil240Z said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

Okay well I guess I have a hard time dumbing myself down to their level then... I just want someone to bring back the thinking mans shooter.

You are aware of the 6 million people still playing Battlefield 3 on a regular basis?

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By UlquioKani

@Devil240Z said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

I don't think you meant to make this sound like you are superior to Call of Duty players but you seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say that COD is too hard and then you say that you are dumbing yourself down to get good at Call of Duty. What? Also, COD has it's own strategies, it's not just who is quickest to pull the trigger. Just like all other shooters, you need to be understand the maps and pick loadouts based on reducing your weaknesses or improving your strengths. Then you also have to think about if your class works on this map. COD isn't the dumb shooter that people assume it to be. Also, they change the game and add new features with every iteration, even if the new features don't work amazingly. The staleness comes from the fact that it is coming out every year.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorDanger99

people can talk shit all they want about yearly releases and ill bitch right along with them but i honestly think COD deserves some slack. with the exception of MW3, ive been incredibly surprised with every single game theyve done. they are well made games from devs who know what they are doing.

That said, i do think the COD train is slowing down. i think BLOPS 2 will be the last HUGE game for them. i know i say it every year, but i really do think this will be the last COD game i get for a long while. at least a COD game not made by TREYARCH, who im convinced is the only one who knows what they are doing.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RedRoach

@doobie said:

The assets are definitely not all new, they have been reusing stuff since CoD 4. I still remember in MW3's Africa mission walking into a building that seemed familiar. I eventually realized it was a carbon copy of a building that was in a CoD4 map.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

I almost don't feel like defending CoD anymore. If you hate it enough make a video explaining why, then why mot just fucking find aomething you like and make a video on why you like that instead?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gargantuan

@Devil240Z said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hungry

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

Well I was going to tell you to get better friends or try to get them to play Dota, but if you don't have time to get good at CoD you sure as hell won't get out of the trashcan ratings in Dota.

Don't feel too bad about it though, they like a couple of different games you don't like. Always a good time to go play some single-player good stuff before all of you find something to play all the time. Or just touch yourself.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tunaburn

the reason i hate COD is because im so competitive. and with the lag, shit hitboxes, spawn killing, and other shit that makes it a lot of luck, i cant stand it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zombie2011

I loved MW2, it was one of my favorite games of 09? whenever it came out. But i don't know it seems the games have become much faster since then or the maps have become much smaller. It becomes more frustrating then fun for me dying constantly, and i'm actually really good at all shooters i play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I simply don't care for the Call of Duty series. I've given the series a fair try and it just isn't my thing. I don't look down on the millions of people that love the series because I am obviously in the minority and not above loving games with mass appeal.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JZ

Like everyone I loved cod4 I played unspeakible amounts of that game. For some odd reason I've never wanted to play the other games after it.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By intro

I always try to get into them and quickly lose interest. For years it's been the same repetitive gameplay. Sure they talk about how they added new weapons, but that doesn't change gameplay or anything. The new weapons in a CoD game basically means new skins if you get we're I'm coming from. Gears of War for example, came out with new power weapons, grenades, ways the characters moved, etc. I'm not saying that makes that series better (I think it is by far), but they can be nice changes at times.

It's all matter of opinion, though. If someone buys CoD every year, enjoys the game and gets their moneys worth, you have to respect that.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NyxFe
    @YOU_DIED said:

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

As much as I am not a fan of the call of duty crowd, stating that it is a low-skill game is simply incorrect and a completely flawed argument. Do you think counterstrike is a low-skill game? Sure, all you do is shoot people and not die, but the amount of skill it requires to have proper map awareness, knowledge of weapons, knowledge of other player tactics/mindgames allowing you to get more kills and avoid deaths yourself is extremely high. Having played years of semi-casual CS1.6 and source I was never more than decent (still top-scoring in pubs consistently), but when playing with a close friend of mine who was a professional 1.6 player the difference is night and day. He would go completely untouched, almost singlehandedly winning games. And all you do is run around shooting people, right? 

While one could make the argument that the fast respawns of call of duty trivialize the strategy a fair bit, it also means you have a lot more potential threats to consider (and potential kills to get), which is why you see skilled players throwing nukes in mw2 and whatever other top-tier kill streaks are in vogue.  

Naturally, chess is significantly more intellectual, and I would say a far, far better game, but that is completely irrelevant to the quality of call of duty. If your argument against it is criticizing a subset of players with complete gameplay irrelevance, I'm not sure your opinion on intellectual games is very valid.  

Again, I should note that I have no interest in CoD, nor the type of person who is stereotypically attributed to playing it, though I have played MW2 and Black Ops enough to understand that like any game, there is absolutely plenty skill and strategy to be had.  

In response to the OP, I also wish I enjoyed CoD, since having a multiplayer game I could play solo would be refreshing (I primarily play DotA), but I have never found FPS games to be very enjoyable. 
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By JasonR86

Huh.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Milkman

The fact that so many people get so angry about new Call of Duty games actually makes me like them more.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clonedzero

i have no problem with CoD. people get all hot and bothered by it and make ridiculous claims like "its killing the industry!". the fuck? how so?

"but clonedzero haven't you noticed how many developers are copying CoD?" well, uh. so? thats always been a gaming industry thing. something big happens and people copy it. the game devs copying CoD wouldnt be making awesome unique games if CoD didnt exist, they'd be copying the next big thing. if anything CoD's massive mainstream success has made gaming a more common thing for everyone.

i dont personally like CoD that much, the campaigns are usually awful. the multiplayer, i'd like it if it was more structured. everytime i play CoD i end up running laps around the map, it happens in every game mode on every map. i was talking to some CoD fans and they said that was by design, that maps all have an intended circular flow. thats the thing that bothers me about CoD, the map flow rather than the gameplay.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hockeymask27

@Devil240Z said:

I want to make sure I apologize to every one. I'm not trying to shit on COD, or people who like it.

I just cant get into it. I find it totally unenjoyable. The action in it is like a coin toss. I saw you first so I win.

Back in the Socom days you actually had to use strategy, even aiming was a skill you needed to learn, In cod you just run around and auto aim at everything.

unless you used the IW then you just let recoil do all the work. Also fuck pmn mines.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Edin899

@YOU_DIED said:

@StingerMK2 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@doobie said:

LOL

If you actually think all Cod players run around yelling YOLO and killing people without skill, then you never played the game and are just hating based on what other people tell you.

You just jumped on the bandwagon to hate call of duty. Go play your videogames for grown ups! Because COD is for 14yo's..............

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Devil240Z

@Seppli said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

It's kind of a wierd argument to...

• A. ...say the CoD games are too similar year from year
    • B. ...say you ain't got enough time to get good at playing CoD

You had 5 years to get better at playing essentially the same game.

I'm a Battlefield player myself, and it's the same thing there - and Battlefield games change pretty much everything up from iteration to iteration - much more so than CoD. Playerskill is not something that gets reset everytime a new game comes out. A lot of it is transferable, and you'd be getting better and better at it, if you'd apply yourself. Of course, if you don't apply yourself, you won't ever get good at anything.

Also - anybody who doesn't play Most Wanted right now is a pansy anyways. Why would you want to play with your pansy friends then? As far as I'm concerned, Most Wanted's got the compulsive multiplayer du jour.

I'm a gamer who craves new experiences. And COD gets very old very fast. Anyway why would I apply myself to get good at a game I dont' like. And also I am an adult, I get a few short hours a week to play games if I am lucky. I played alot of Battlefield 3, loved it. Still never became as good as alot of people but good enough to have fun most of the time.

@Seppli said:

@Devil240Z said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

You are aware of the 6 million people still playing Battlefield 3 on a regular basis?

Socom, Socom is the thinking mans shooter.

@UlquioKani said:

@Devil240Z said:

@Sooty said:

@Devil240Z said:

@laserbolts said:

I don't think you meant to make this sound like you are superior to Call of Duty players but you seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say that COD is too hard and then you say that you are dumbing yourself down to get good at Call of Duty. What? Also, COD has it's own strategies, it's not just who is quickest to pull the trigger. Just like all other shooters, you need to be understand the maps and pick loadouts based on reducing your weaknesses or improving your strengths. Then you also have to think about if your class works on this map. COD isn't the dumb shooter that people assume it to be. Also, they change the game and add new features with every iteration, even if the new features don't work amazingly. The staleness comes from the fact that it is coming out every year.

When I say its hard I mean that you have to put thousands of hours into it to get good, I don't have that kind of time. I know there is some depth in there Ill just never play enough to see it. And again I don't really want to.

I miss socom.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By YOU_DIED

@NyxFe said:

As much as I am not a fan of the call of duty crowd, stating that it is a low-skill game is simply incorrect and a completely flawed argument. Do you think counterstrike is a low-skill game? Sure, all you do is shoot people and not die, but the amount of skill it requires to have proper map awareness, knowledge of weapons, knowledge of other player tactics/mindgames allowing you to get more kills and avoid deaths yourself is extremely high. Having played years of semi-casual CS1.6 and source I was never more than decent (still top-scoring in pubs consistently), but when playing with a close friend of mine who was a professional 1.6 player the difference is night and day. He would go completely untouched, almost singlehandedly winning games. And all you do is run around shooting people, right? While one could make the argument that the fast respawns of call of duty trivialize the strategy a fair bit, it also means you have a lot more potential threats to consider (and potential kills to get), which is why you see skilled players throwing nukes in mw2 and whatever other top-tier kill streaks are in vogue. Naturally, chess is significantly more intellectual, and I would say a far, far better game, but that is completely irrelevant to the quality of call of duty. If your argument against it is criticizing a subset of players with complete gameplay irrelevance, I'm not sure your opinion on intellectual games is very valid. Again, I should note that I have no interest in CoD, nor the type of person who is stereotypically attributed to playing it, though I have played MW2 and Black Ops enough to understand that like any game, there is absolutely plenty skill and strategy to be had. In response to the OP, I also wish I enjoyed CoD, since having a multiplayer game I could play solo would be refreshing (I primarily play DotA), but I have never found FPS games to be very enjoyable.

What exactly does CS have to do with any of this?

All of the rules and tools in CoD are there to support low-skilled players, allowing them to get lots of kills and feel good about themselves. This is why kill, skill, and death streaks exist. This is why CoD has such heavy auto aim. This is why most of the guns have very little spread, even when fired from the hip. This is why knifing lunges you forward about five feet. I can go on if you want. All of these things trivialize strategy and skill. I'm not criticizing a subset of players for how they like to play, I'm criticizing the nature of CoD. You should probably watch the video I posted directly under my statements, I did that so I wouldn't have to type all this shit out again.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Devil240Z

@Hockeymask27 said:

@Devil240Z said:

unless you used the IW then you just let recoil do all the work. Also fuck pmn mines.

I usually played on servers with no boom. IW+frontgrip+silencer.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Devil240Z

Ugh I guess I have no choice but to break down and get COD Blops 2.

Also MW3 was the first one I didn't buy. Ive played all the other ones. MW1 was just the only one I enjoyed.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NyxFe
    @YOU_DIED said: 

What exactly does CS have to do with any of this?

All of the rules and tools in CoD are there to support low-skilled players, allowing them to get lots of kills and feel good about themselves. This is why kill, skill, and death streaks exist. This is why CoD has such heavy auto aim. This is why most of the guns have very little spread, even when fired from the hip. This is why knifing lunges you forward about five feet. I can go on if you want. All of these things trivialize strategy and skill. I'm not criticizing a subset of players for how they like to play, I'm criticizing the nature of CoD. You should probably watch the video I posted directly under my statements, I did that so I wouldn't have to type all this shit out again.

Your statement included:

Call of Duty is a game where you sprint around small maps, spraying 14 year olds with machine guns while shouting 'YOLO!' and racist slurs. 

which is not a comment I would make if I wanted to put forward any sort of valid point.  

What does CS have to do with this? It is a respected game that is similar to CoD. I know it's stylish to shit talk call of duty, but I could have made the same point about any competitive player of those games (though you kind of need private and dedicated servers to have proper competitive matches).  
    Anyway, let's have a look at these things you suggest support "low-skilled" players and allow them to get a lot of kills.  

Kill streaks: yeah, because low skill players are likely to get 3/6/9/12/25 whatever kills without dying right? If anything I'd argue that killstreaks widen the skill gap too much, allowing a good player to gain an unbeatable advantage through an early lead. This is the reason support streaks were notable in MW3 - they allowed less skilled players to actually get a decent reward if they managed a certain number of kills/assists over an entire match instead of in a single life. Death streaks are basically irrelevant as at most they help someone who has died five times get a single kill. 

I can't really speak about auto aim since playing an FPS on a console is a whole other debate.  However, I would note that it's not like you get more auto-aim for being a worse player, allowing you to get easy kills (I assume). Every player has the same amount of nonsense homing bullets.  

Low Spread/Long Range Knife: Similar to above, it is not like only some of the players have this. How can this cater to low skill players and allow them to get easy kills if a good player could simply do the same thing to them, faster? Surely having a 90 degree cone of fire on machineguns would only serve to make the long-range deaths a thing of luck instead of reaction time and aiming.  

I agree that mechanics like autoaim reduce the overall skill difference between the average and skilled player of a game, and so do plenty of other mechanics in the call of duty franchise. However the games are still far from low-skill as proper awareness and reaction time is still largely the deciding factor in any encounter.  

The only kind of mechanic which serves/favors low-skill players is randomization. If you had, let's say, a level 1 perk which randomly granted you bonus health from 10%-100% you would have instances of players with nearly double your health based on nothing but pure luck. That is a situation in which a lower skilled player could win on even grounds, and a clearly broken mechanic. Low spread and long range knives are irrelevant to skill since either player in an encounter can utilize them. If a player can run up behind you and knife you from five feet away, you need to be checking your back 0.5 seconds faster or whatever time you require to prevent that from happening. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.