Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

A little worried about the voice acting

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

When I heard it at first in the leaked footage of the game, I thought "surely these are just dev placeholders, the finished game will have the real deal". But after further searching, that doesn't really seem to be the case.   

From the leaked footage, from the trailers and from the official footage, one thing consistently stands out - the terrible voice acting. It seems completely flat and emotionless. A fucking building explodes and topples onto the ground and all a passerby has to say is a casual "sonuvabitch". People are getting shredded by talons and laser fire and all you get is a limp "we've got to get out of here now". A guy's guts are spilling out from a disease and all he says is "Jesus, it's eating me" in a rather comically nonchalant manner.  Honestly, the work sounds like high school level if not worse. This is especially surprising because Crysis 1 actually had relatively good voice acting.       

On a side note, the nanosuit now appears to "talk" to you, whereas it was relegated to saying just "Maximum ___" upon activation of a suit ability in the first game. This is an unwelcome change in my mind, because a) in extended dialogue it just sounds awkward, like Christian Bale's batman voice, and b) when did the nanosuit suddenly become an AI? Or if it's somebody speaking through the nanosuit, why would they choose to use the suit voice the whole time?

I was originally worried that the game might not live up to its predecessor in either the gameplay or graphics department, but rather unexpectedly, the voice acting seems to be the actual letdown.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

THIS IDNT A WHAR ORDNIRY HUMANS CUN WIN

Edit:  Also, yeah.  That's rather terrible.  I honestly believe I can do way better than any voice in that trailer.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

The suit doesn't voice the whole time.  It is mainly limited to saying one sentence.  The most it seems to say is in the opening tutorial. Overall the voice acting is on par with most shooters, so it is serviceable but far from great.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Wasn't this game being written by a prized novelist and was given more detail to story than an RPG game?

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cornman89
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Wasn't this game being written by a prized novelist and was given more detail to story than an RPG game? "
    Yeah. This guy. There was an article about it a while ago, and out of curiosity, I read the book they mentioned, Altered Carbon. Wasn't impressed. But I'm not really a sci-fi guy, so...
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

I think the voice acting will be fine. One thing I want to know though is, who the hell is Alcatraz? I want Nomad!
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By withateethuh

It's atleast ten times bettter than the first game.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jmrwacko

The commander guy that sounds like JFK has some pretty good voice acting. Otherwise, the voice acting is pretty cheesy, it reminds me somewhat of the voice acting in the Gears of War series.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

IGN's video player?  Ugh.

I think you're being too critical.  Nothing I've heard has led me to believe that this game won't at least be on par with the first in the voice acting department.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " IGN's video player?  Ugh.  I think you're being too critical.  Nothing I've heard has led me to believe that this game won't at least be on par with the first in the voice acting department. "
    Was the only place it was available at the time. 
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Geno said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " IGN's video player?  Ugh.  I think you're being too critical.  Nothing I've heard has led me to believe that this game won't at least be on par with the first in the voice acting department. "
    Was the only place it was available at the time.  "
    I'm pretty sure they post all their videos to YouTube at the same time.  If you know the name of the video you can find it pretty easily with a Google video search (IGN Crysis 2 video title).  Whatever though, it actually worked for me this time.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Gizmo

It's not just the voice acting you should be worried about. 

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kato

Gould sounds okay, and I like Prophet's voice, even though it would be better if it was Keith David. 

Is Nomad in this game at all?

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

voice acting? it sound awesome! have you heard voice acting in stalker games? now that is horrible. crysis 2 voice acting is awesome!

man people complain about everything. even about a teaser of bf3.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Gizmo said:
    " It's not just the voice acting you should be worried about.  "
    yeah we have more things to worry about besides that.   imean have you PLAYED the multiplayer?  it's pure bleh
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Raven10
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    yeah we have more things to worry about besides that.   imean have you PLAYED the multiplayer?  it's pure bleh "
    I enjoyed the MP. And the VO in the trailers did sound pretty bad.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spoonman671
    @captain_clayman said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    yeah we have more things to worry about besides that.   imean have you PLAYED the multiplayer?  it's pure bleh "
    I really don't see that as something to worry about.  I never even played Crysis multiplayer in its previous incarnations, and I don't think I'm alone in that.  I certainly won't be picking up Crysis 2 for anything but the campaign.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JP_Russell

Yeah, I watched a video of the leaked version of the game weeks ago when that kind of footage first started surfacing; the voice acting from the soldiers when you first take control of Alkatraz was really, really bad.  The sad part is it wasn't just the voice acting.  The voice actors, themselves, sounded like they were probably capable of decent performances.  But I could tell from the way their lines were improperly delivered that the voice direction they'd received must have been pretty poor, and worse than that, the writing was terrible (both in the dialogue and in the cheesy, over-characterization of the soldiers). 

Honestly, while I really wanted to think it all just had to be placeholder garbage, the issues there had to do with more than just the lines that were in place.  Every bit of dialogue and the entire sequence of relations between characters in that beginning part of the game was so fundamentally fucked, it'd have to be completely ripped out and redone to not be bad.  As such, I doubt any of it was placeholder, and I too worry about how the rest of the voice acting will turn out.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#19  Edited By alistercat

The only voice acting I care about is prophet and several of the other main characters. Those guys in the beginning are throwaway, so I don't really care. I really like prophets voice. It's cheesy but it's not the worst thing in the world.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Nomin

I've watched the footage of the leaked version. Needless to say, huge UI design components, bargain bin material. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.