Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

I Went To Hell And All I Got Was This Mediocre Video Game

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Dante's Inferno is out.  I know, I know...I was a strong supporter of this game, and in some ways, I still am.  However, well...it's a rental at best.  If you care to read on as to why, please do.  If not, then just take that first sentence with you and move on. 

Let's get something out of the way:  yes, Dante's Inferno doesn't step-by-step follow the epic poem, and it is also a God of War clone through and through.  You'll be going through a lot of context-sensitive battle sequences, exploring a relatively linear pathway through the entire game, collectibles are to be had, boobs are everywhere, and people whose names you are familiar with from ancient history are present.  However, it goes beyond that...but we'll get to that in a second. 

Visceral's interpretation of Dante's interpretation of the nine circles of Hell is the big stunner here, as it is very well-realized.  In all honesty, Visceral has put a lot of work into creating one of the best game worlds in existence.  Each circle is instantly distinguishable from any other circle, and many of them do follow at least a few descriptions from the poem.  Fraud is made up of the ten rings of Malebolge, Violence is made up of the three rings of violent acts, Anger is a giant marsh that leads to the River Styx, and Treachery (or Treason as it's known in the poem) is a frozen tundra of solitude.  Yes, I'm aware I just named off the lower circles outside of the City of Dis...which is little more than an afterthought in the game (and a slightly annoying sequence to be honest).  Heresy was pretty forgettable, but the upper circles were anything but!  Limbo and the role of Acheron were incredibly unique.  Gluttony is easily the most memorable of them all, only rivaled personally by Lust (mainly because of all the phallic objects and boobs that make you think "I can't believe they got away with this").  Even Greed was an interesting place.  In short, the environments are incredible to see and feel like...in some ways...like Dante's vision of Hell was realized in a competent and well-organized manner. 

Unfortunately, that's about where it stops.  From the small demo that had been released, we knew there was God of War-styled combat as well as some form of talent tree.  That combat...feels exactly like God of War...the game released in 2005.  It's stale, it's rigid, and it causes the game to feel archaic.  This could easily be attributed to the recent playthroughs I had of Darksiders and Bayonetta, which was a great one-two hit of combat for the new decade.  For being a company whose last game was able to rip off someone else's gameplay and make it BETTER (Dead Space in comparison to Resident Evil 4), Dante's Inferno is a step backwards.  At higher difficulty levels, the combat isn't nearly as responsive and sensitive as it should be, leading to many frustrating deaths and moments where you feel like...well...you're in video game Hell.  Even when the responsiveness and sensitivity feel right, there's little else to do other than either spam light attacks, spam cross attacks, or spam heavy attacks.  The talent tree of Unholy focuses on your physical scythe attacks, but none of those moves are in any way logical to beating the game on higher difficulties.  Meanwhile, the Holy tree focuses on magic and your cross...and none of THOSE even feel logical in the higher difficulties.  Basically, Visceral made the combat...a primary focus of the game...thoroughly uninteresting.  Yeah, the combat in God of War was a bit grinding as well...but there was also that sweet and brutal context-sensitive death sequence that you were building up to.  You know, the one where Kratos was sticking his sword down someone's throat and then ripping out their eyeballs and skull-fucking them while cackling like a lunatic and then decapitating a dead baby.  Dante's Inferno just doesn't have that kind of brutality to it, AND IT TAKES PLACE IN HELL!  I guess sacrificing the blood and violence, the lamenting and pain of it all...was alright as long as there are tons of virtual tits?  No me gusta, folks.  No me gusta.

As for story, Dante's Inferno takes a poem wrought with detail and emotion and turns it into little more than a "bigger dick" contest between Dante and Lucifer...until the final moments of the game, where you realize the real intentions that come off like some sad version of Timothy Olyphant in Live Free or Die Hard saying "hahaha I'm a mad genius hellbent on world domination".  Okay, sure...that wasn't Tim's intentions, but it's the general feeling I got when Lucifer uttered the words, "let us take over Purgatory and Paradise", thereby degenerating this game into a very generic category of storytelling.  Up until that point, however, they had done a really good job of showing the emotion that Dante feels over Beatrice's soul being lost in Hell and his lament for it.  There is also some interesting backstory given to him thanks to his escapades in the Crusades (talking about the game here, so don't start in about the book), as the cross in his chest is adorned with images of Dante having committed all sins that can put him in each one of the circles of Hell without a thought.  Acheron delivers a great line at the beginning of the game upon meeting Dante.  Dante says "My life, my soul for Beatrice", to which Acheron replies "You fool.  Those already belong to us".  The journey afterwards is a walkthrough of Dante's mistakes and shortcomings, and it really made me empathize with him.  I'm far from perfect and have committed my own sins, as have many of you, so for a company to make me empathize with a sinner such as Dante was an amazing accomplishment.  Then I was quickly thrown back into this "bigger dick" contest...and it just made me angry. 

One of the things that Visceral received a million pounds of praise for in Dead Space was their sound design.  Due to this critical praise, it was a heart-sinking feeling for me when the sound started glitching out upon restarts after dying.  There were also some issues with mixing that just bugged me, such as the levels of fart noises in Gluttony and moans in Lust in comparison to the action that was occurring.  These didn't impact me in any way other than "wow, that's loud and kind of unnecessary".  The voice acting was well-done, although breaking up Virgil's commentaries into pieces that make you constantly have to push a button again to hear him talk more...was a stupid design choice.  One of the best parts of the game itself is hearing Virgil's commentaries on the circle of Hell, who resides there, who guards it, how it's playing into this story being told, etc...and you want me to push a button up to three times to hear everything...rather than just playing it all out in one fluid piece?  It just makes NO sense for anything other than an achievement in the game. 

Much like Dead Space before it, beating Dante's Inferno unlocks a ton of stuff depending on the difficulty that you play on, including costumes, a New Game Plus feature called Redemption Mode, and a side thing called The Gates of Hell Arena.  This puts you through 50 waves of varying enemies, and once you complete it, you'll get an achievement.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work like the Challenges of the Gods in the first God of War.  You can change the difficulty on-the-fly both in the Arena as well as any time in the main game, meaning that you can play through it on the lowest difficulty and BREEZE through it.  There is a bit of a competitive side to it all, as you are given a timestamp of completion and other little features...but none of it matters. 

That's my biggest issue with Dante's Inferno - it's just not rewarding.  Going through Hell unlocks a couple of costumes?  Bleck.  Gates of Hell Arena?  It's a throw-away Horde mode in an action game.  The combat?  It's unflattering and unvaried.  Really, the only way I can enjoy this game is merely looking at it as I look at the poem:  a tour through Hell.  When you look at it in this light, it's actually pretty fucking awesome.  Like I said before, there are few environments that have been as well-realized as Hell is in Dante's Inferno.  That's just not enough to keep it in your library of games, though. 

Take the trip to Hell, folks...but don't do it for more than a rental. 

Hopefully, I'll finish these achievements out tonight...and then get Bioshock 2 sometime this week instead. 

Until next time...a saddened PIECE to all... 

P.S. -- Fuck the way they handled Treachery.  I'm sorry, but Lucifer was a three-headed fucking demon that was gnawing on Judas, Brutus, and Cassius.  I was okay with the liberties taken all the way up to that point...but the way that Lucifer was handled...and moreover, the general disregard of Lucifer being a pussy frozen in his own tears...THAT really pissed me off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Dante's Inferno is out.  I know, I know...I was a strong supporter of this game, and in some ways, I still am.  However, well...it's a rental at best.  If you care to read on as to why, please do.  If not, then just take that first sentence with you and move on. 

Let's get something out of the way:  yes, Dante's Inferno doesn't step-by-step follow the epic poem, and it is also a God of War clone through and through.  You'll be going through a lot of context-sensitive battle sequences, exploring a relatively linear pathway through the entire game, collectibles are to be had, boobs are everywhere, and people whose names you are familiar with from ancient history are present.  However, it goes beyond that...but we'll get to that in a second. 

Visceral's interpretation of Dante's interpretation of the nine circles of Hell is the big stunner here, as it is very well-realized.  In all honesty, Visceral has put a lot of work into creating one of the best game worlds in existence.  Each circle is instantly distinguishable from any other circle, and many of them do follow at least a few descriptions from the poem.  Fraud is made up of the ten rings of Malebolge, Violence is made up of the three rings of violent acts, Anger is a giant marsh that leads to the River Styx, and Treachery (or Treason as it's known in the poem) is a frozen tundra of solitude.  Yes, I'm aware I just named off the lower circles outside of the City of Dis...which is little more than an afterthought in the game (and a slightly annoying sequence to be honest).  Heresy was pretty forgettable, but the upper circles were anything but!  Limbo and the role of Acheron were incredibly unique.  Gluttony is easily the most memorable of them all, only rivaled personally by Lust (mainly because of all the phallic objects and boobs that make you think "I can't believe they got away with this").  Even Greed was an interesting place.  In short, the environments are incredible to see and feel like...in some ways...like Dante's vision of Hell was realized in a competent and well-organized manner. 

Unfortunately, that's about where it stops.  From the small demo that had been released, we knew there was God of War-styled combat as well as some form of talent tree.  That combat...feels exactly like God of War...the game released in 2005.  It's stale, it's rigid, and it causes the game to feel archaic.  This could easily be attributed to the recent playthroughs I had of Darksiders and Bayonetta, which was a great one-two hit of combat for the new decade.  For being a company whose last game was able to rip off someone else's gameplay and make it BETTER (Dead Space in comparison to Resident Evil 4), Dante's Inferno is a step backwards.  At higher difficulty levels, the combat isn't nearly as responsive and sensitive as it should be, leading to many frustrating deaths and moments where you feel like...well...you're in video game Hell.  Even when the responsiveness and sensitivity feel right, there's little else to do other than either spam light attacks, spam cross attacks, or spam heavy attacks.  The talent tree of Unholy focuses on your physical scythe attacks, but none of those moves are in any way logical to beating the game on higher difficulties.  Meanwhile, the Holy tree focuses on magic and your cross...and none of THOSE even feel logical in the higher difficulties.  Basically, Visceral made the combat...a primary focus of the game...thoroughly uninteresting.  Yeah, the combat in God of War was a bit grinding as well...but there was also that sweet and brutal context-sensitive death sequence that you were building up to.  You know, the one where Kratos was sticking his sword down someone's throat and then ripping out their eyeballs and skull-fucking them while cackling like a lunatic and then decapitating a dead baby.  Dante's Inferno just doesn't have that kind of brutality to it, AND IT TAKES PLACE IN HELL!  I guess sacrificing the blood and violence, the lamenting and pain of it all...was alright as long as there are tons of virtual tits?  No me gusta, folks.  No me gusta.

As for story, Dante's Inferno takes a poem wrought with detail and emotion and turns it into little more than a "bigger dick" contest between Dante and Lucifer...until the final moments of the game, where you realize the real intentions that come off like some sad version of Timothy Olyphant in Live Free or Die Hard saying "hahaha I'm a mad genius hellbent on world domination".  Okay, sure...that wasn't Tim's intentions, but it's the general feeling I got when Lucifer uttered the words, "let us take over Purgatory and Paradise", thereby degenerating this game into a very generic category of storytelling.  Up until that point, however, they had done a really good job of showing the emotion that Dante feels over Beatrice's soul being lost in Hell and his lament for it.  There is also some interesting backstory given to him thanks to his escapades in the Crusades (talking about the game here, so don't start in about the book), as the cross in his chest is adorned with images of Dante having committed all sins that can put him in each one of the circles of Hell without a thought.  Acheron delivers a great line at the beginning of the game upon meeting Dante.  Dante says "My life, my soul for Beatrice", to which Acheron replies "You fool.  Those already belong to us".  The journey afterwards is a walkthrough of Dante's mistakes and shortcomings, and it really made me empathize with him.  I'm far from perfect and have committed my own sins, as have many of you, so for a company to make me empathize with a sinner such as Dante was an amazing accomplishment.  Then I was quickly thrown back into this "bigger dick" contest...and it just made me angry. 

One of the things that Visceral received a million pounds of praise for in Dead Space was their sound design.  Due to this critical praise, it was a heart-sinking feeling for me when the sound started glitching out upon restarts after dying.  There were also some issues with mixing that just bugged me, such as the levels of fart noises in Gluttony and moans in Lust in comparison to the action that was occurring.  These didn't impact me in any way other than "wow, that's loud and kind of unnecessary".  The voice acting was well-done, although breaking up Virgil's commentaries into pieces that make you constantly have to push a button again to hear him talk more...was a stupid design choice.  One of the best parts of the game itself is hearing Virgil's commentaries on the circle of Hell, who resides there, who guards it, how it's playing into this story being told, etc...and you want me to push a button up to three times to hear everything...rather than just playing it all out in one fluid piece?  It just makes NO sense for anything other than an achievement in the game. 

Much like Dead Space before it, beating Dante's Inferno unlocks a ton of stuff depending on the difficulty that you play on, including costumes, a New Game Plus feature called Redemption Mode, and a side thing called The Gates of Hell Arena.  This puts you through 50 waves of varying enemies, and once you complete it, you'll get an achievement.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work like the Challenges of the Gods in the first God of War.  You can change the difficulty on-the-fly both in the Arena as well as any time in the main game, meaning that you can play through it on the lowest difficulty and BREEZE through it.  There is a bit of a competitive side to it all, as you are given a timestamp of completion and other little features...but none of it matters. 

That's my biggest issue with Dante's Inferno - it's just not rewarding.  Going through Hell unlocks a couple of costumes?  Bleck.  Gates of Hell Arena?  It's a throw-away Horde mode in an action game.  The combat?  It's unflattering and unvaried.  Really, the only way I can enjoy this game is merely looking at it as I look at the poem:  a tour through Hell.  When you look at it in this light, it's actually pretty fucking awesome.  Like I said before, there are few environments that have been as well-realized as Hell is in Dante's Inferno.  That's just not enough to keep it in your library of games, though. 

Take the trip to Hell, folks...but don't do it for more than a rental. 

Hopefully, I'll finish these achievements out tonight...and then get Bioshock 2 sometime this week instead. 

Until next time...a saddened PIECE to all... 

P.S. -- Fuck the way they handled Treachery.  I'm sorry, but Lucifer was a three-headed fucking demon that was gnawing on Judas, Brutus, and Cassius.  I was okay with the liberties taken all the way up to that point...but the way that Lucifer was handled...and moreover, the general disregard of Lucifer being a pussy frozen in his own tears...THAT really pissed me off.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By agentboolen

Thought it cloned God Of War way to much when I played the demo. I'll pick it up when it comes down in price just because I like this type of game but in all truth I wasn't impressed at all.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
    @agentboolen: I have no problem with a game cloning someone else, so long as they take those mechanics and make them their own.  Dead Space did that, so it would seem logical that Dante's Inferno would do the same.  I was sorely disappointed to see that the combat itself is LESSER than a five-year-old game from a franchise it is ripping off.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What's that you say? Phallic and Boobic imagery in Lust? Sold! 

Not really. What you say about the game kind of confirms my assumptions that Dante's Inferno is a less-than-awesome God of War clone. From what I saw of the quick look though... really enjoyed the visual design.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @ArbitraryWater: It's definitely a game I can recommend for playing on the lowest difficulty setting and breezing through the combat just to see the level designs themselves, as they are captivating to see.  Unfortunately, as the Giant Bomb cast would say, "there's that whole part about having to play the game".
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cornman89

Mediocre, huh? Well, that's a shame. I mean... the template is right there. Just go home, play God of War I & II over the weekend, come back on Monday and tell your co-workers what you saw.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Bones8677

The only thing that has me mildly interested in Dante's Inferno is the art direction, the visual look of Hell. I wanna see Visceral's version of Hell. That's all. I wanna take a virtual tour of Hell rather than playing the game. Kinda like what Dante actually did in the poem.

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

I just can't fathom dropping sixty bones on this only about one month removed from God of War 3.  Hell, won't even rent it, i can just replay Bayonetta for my action game fix.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Well it got a Superbowl commercial which probably means it'll sell pretty well, so I'm sure the "people only hate this game cus its popular"bad game apologist types will come out of the woodwork soon enough and give you a headache for being honest.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Red12b

Lucifer is a Goat demon with a dick between his legs,

The Devil, Master of evil, yeah, that guy, and all he is reduced to is a Goat demon with a Dick between his legs.

Should have been better.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agentboolen
    @jakob187: Well from the demo it totally felt like a straight up knock off of God of War.  For Dead Space taking parts of Resident Evil 4 it was obvious that was going to be its own game just with the whole space theme, still just because it was a EA game I was surprise how well it turned out.  EA usually doesn't get that creative with there games and I guess Dante can be a example of that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Red12b said:
    "

The Devil, Master of evil, yeah, that guy, and all he is reduced to is a Goat demon with a Dick between his legs.

Should have been better.

"
    Anticlimactic much?

@jakob187:
    Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the game, but honestly, I was pretty sure that this was going to be the case from the beginning.  And for all the disagreement I have regarding EA's treatment of the poem and poet, and for the game being literally nothing more than a God of War clone set in Hell, I don't know if I've ever seen a game with an advertising campaign filled with so much hand waving and actually turn out to be decent.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
    @Red12b said:
    "

Should have been better.

"
    Oh you mean something like this maybe? 

No Caption Provided
    In their defense, books are for jerks.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red12b

Just because I think this is the best Lucifer that has appeared on screen, I am going to include this,

Al Pacino, Legend.

Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!    

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
    @Red12b:
    People complain about Keanu's acting, but there's only one movie where it actually came close to ruining an otherwise brilliant movie and that was The Devil's Advocate. Its painful.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Hamz

I never really had high hopes for this game, it has always been on my PS3 rental list and always been on low priority within the list. Would it be fair to say all the boob imagery is there to distract the player, or attempt to anyway, from the otherwise poor quality found in the rest of the game?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hamz said:
    " I never really had high hopes for this game, it has always been on my PS3 rental list and always been on low priority within the list. Would it be fair to say all the boob imagery is there to distract the player, or attempt to anyway, from the otherwise poor quality found in the rest of the game? "
    Since Lust-themed enemies continue to inexplicably pop up in circles that make no contextual sense for their presence, that sounds like an accurate assumption.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Interesting, I had many of these concerns prior to release. How would you say the game compares alongside Bayonetta?.  

The Bayonetta V Dante V GoW3 battle seems to be of interest to many on this forum, on the evidence of the numerous members posting on my threads in troll like fashion, saying Bayonetta will suck in comparison to Dante.

@jakob187 said:

" @ArbitraryWater: It's definitely a game I can recommend for playing on the lowest difficulty setting and breezing through the combat just to see the level designs themselves, as they are captivating to see.  Unfortunately, as the Giant Bomb cast would say, "there's that whole part about having to play the game". "

Damning stuff. 

BTW - I downloaded the BC2 demo the other day...I have to admit I'm slowly coming around to it after repeated plays :P  I'll wait on the reviews, which should be due soon now.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Red12b
    @Hamz said:
    " I never really had high hopes for this game, it has always been on my PS3 rental list and always been on low priority within the list. Would it be fair to say all the boob imagery is there to distract the player, or attempt to anyway, from the otherwise poor quality found in the rest of the game? "
    There are hell-spawn female enemies in the Lust realm that projectile Menstrual blood at you, and then extend some sort of umbilical chord that wraps around you and a prompt comes up to button mash (Square) and you twirl her around at other enemies, 

So if that sounds like your bag, go ahead. 

TBH I had some fun with this tittle, As good as Darksiders? Hell no! (Pun intended, oh I am so witty...)

There are some good parts to this game, and I think on the whole the Devs did the best they could, Did they follow the Poem to the full extent? no, but of course they couldn't, Did they take liberties, yes. 

It gets repetitive to the point of starting to get dull around 80% the way through, Not worthy of a second play through,  
    If you have something that you want to play like Bioshock, or Heavy rain, Play them, if you've finished AC2 and have nothing to do, Rent it, it is good enough for a rental, depending on difficulty expect to get through it in, 13-18 hours. 

Just don't expect to get blown away by it, Use it as a warm up for GOW3, if you're into that. 

Also, Lucifer has a 12 inch penis, and a big Ball bag dangling in front of the camera, so if you don't like Male goat genitals in full view whilst you try to kill it with fire, well it's up to you, 

I didn't care, Just, I know a few people might Burke at seeing a Wang but not if they see tits.  

It's all polygons people.  
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By MildMolasses

I haven't finished the game, but the one thing that I'm defintely getting a different vibe from  the OP is how well realised the game world is. Nothing is really sticking out in my mind (aside from violence which I think is the best part so far).  

It's not that I haven't noticed some things (gluttony being a good example of very disticnt) but most of them seem really short, and I;ll have passed through some without even realising that I've made it through one of the circles. It's not that I think it;s bad, but I feel like they put more effort into selling the idea of each of these levels in the videos that Visceral released rather than creating them in game. Lust didn't really convey anything to me. Sure you're riding an elevator up a giant phallus, and there were those nasty women enemies, but the rest was just palette swapped with some other levels. And those women show up all over the place for the rest of the game. They could have gone a long way towards making distinct levels simply by keeping specific enemies within them. I shouldn't see the whores or the fat tubs of shit outside of their respective circles
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bionicicide

Just wanted to comment on the most clever title I've seen at GB yet.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @ryanwho said:
    " Well it got a Superbowl commercial which probably means it'll sell pretty well, so I'm sure the "people only hate this game cus its popular"bad game apologist types will come out of the woodwork soon enough and give you a headache for being honest. "
    Oh, you must have meant to post this in the God Of War III forum. My bad.

Dante's Inferno isn't a AAA title, so your statement just sounds kind of dumb.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

ahem  
    *clears throat.....breaths in deep* 
    I told ya so

palm_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By palm_

Was it only me that had a real blast with this game? I don't really agree with what you've written about the combat regarding only having to spam light/heavy/cross, and I found that spending talent points in the holy tree helped alot.
     I feel that  this was a really enjoyable game, even though it had it's faults, but as it doesn't feature any multiplayer action (apart from the DLC that looks really booring) I would also recommend this as a rental. but I do recommend you to get.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHT

good review. i guess i can just looka t screens of the circles and that'll do.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Binman88
    @palm_: I also had a blast with the game. Played it three times and got all the trophies... thinking about playing it again too!
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Red12b said:
    " @Hamz said:
    There are hell-spawn female enemies in the Lust realm that projectile Menstrual blood at you, and then extend some sort of umbilical chord that wraps around you and a prompt comes up to button mash (Square) and you twirl her around at other enemies, "
    WHAT.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    @Linkyshinks: In comparison to Bayonetta?  Dood, Bayonetta is a fucking godsend of great combat and insanity...even if we're NOT talking about comparing it to another game...and I typically despise the more Eastern games (like Devil May Cry...except DMC3, because that game is beast).  Dante's Inferno is nowhere NEAR as fluid in terms of combat...nor nearly as improvisational. 

@MildMolasses: I can agree that the circles seemed to go by pretty quick.  When I say "well-realized", I mean that I felt a clear distinction between each circle of Hell, and I was able to notice the cuts between circles.  In the lower circles, it can get a bit muddled as Anger, Heresy, and the first ring of Violence don't feel too varied in terms of darkness.  However, I also remembered that the developers had stated that the lower circles would get darker and darker...so it made sense that they would blend into one another so much.  Regardless, Anger is a marsh...Heresy is fire and brimstone...and the first ring of Violence is a lake of boiling blood.  Totally worked for me.  In all honesty, Violence and Treachery were the two circles that I was most curious about, and aside from a specific entity that Dante encounters in the Woods of the Suicides, I felt that the Woods of the Suicides was the best looking and creepy area of the game.  Maybe it's because I kept running into the little bombs that fell from the plants that made Dante try to kill himself...and kept thinking of how eerie it was that it's almost impossible to stop.  I don't know, but I still think the environments in this game were INCREDIBLY well-realized. 

With that said...I felt like Darksiders and Soul Reaver sit in close second and third places for me.  Then again, Darksiders' environments were lengthy and incredibly varied between each other, while Soul Reaver was just super badass for the time it was released. 

@trophyhunter: There was no reason to believe that the game would merely be mediocre in its gameplay.  Dead Space had some amazing gameplay to it, and it was a clone.  Therefore, going into Dante's Inferno...which was made by the same developers...and in a setting that I was super psyched to see...was not misplaced for me.  It just happened to be a bittersweet ending. 

@palm_:  The combat itself is competent enough to at least play through the game once and see Hell, but it's not gameplay that I'm going to want to come back to on repeat occasions.  As I had said in my OP, it also isn't logical enough on the higher difficulty levels.  Sure, on the lower difficulties like Classic and Zealot, I had a bit more freedom because the enemies weren't very damaging and you could mow through everything with a care in the world.  On Hellish and ESPECIALLY Infernal (which in terms of damage from enemies makes Dead Space looks like a goddamn Cabbage Patch Doll trying to stand up to an AT-AT), combat turned into more of a Dynasty Warriors-on-Chaos setup:  I spammed grab attacks on the smaller enemies (like the babies and the basic minions, as well as the flying things) and then spammed cross attacks while constantly evading to maximize my effective spread.  Having certain level 3 relics helped as well (specifically, the one that increases your Cross damage and three others that reduce the damage you take and help protect you), and I haven't even made it through an Infernal or Hellish playthrough as the combat just became too frustrating to deal with. 

Essentially, if you are playing this game on higher difficulties, it becomes less of a test about skill with the combat techniques available and more about "how fast can you push the Cross attack button and then flick your right stick to evade and reposition yourself"...which is NOT effective combat.  If you've had a different experience, then I'd love to hear it...but I just don't think anyone would be doing anything else as the combat in the game is not logical with that level of damage being dealt out by the enemies on Hellish and Infernal. 

And EVEN THEN...no one has any confirmed word on what the rewards are for beating the game on Hellish or Infernal, if there even ARE rewards and unlockables.  I mean, I'm not willing to go through that headache so it can say "congratulations, you unlocked a costume in a game that you already had issues with".  =  /
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187: you said to me "fuck you this game will be great"  and I said " no, no it won't"
    and I'm right so I told you so
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
    @trophyhunter: Link it, as I don't remember that happening that way.  Then again, I've got a shitty memory as well, as can be noted by my OP saying "Acheron" rather than "Charon".  =  / 

Nonetheless, the game isn't great, but it's not bad.  It's just average.  So wouldn't YOUR statement of "no, no it won't" mean that you thought it would be bad?  Average =/= bad.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Gabriel

I heard that the last 3 circles were combat arena's with objectives is that true?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
    @Gabriel: That's the circle of Fraud.  In the poem, Fraud is divided into ten rings called the Malebolge, which separates all the different types of fraud.  In the game, each ring is a battle arena with objectives.  For instance, one will be "kill all of these enemies with infinite magic...but only magic attacks will kill them" or "kill five enemies while they are in the air".  The challenges aren't that difficult IMO, and it was an interesting way to break the circle up.  HOWEVER...it's the weakest of them all, as none of the enemies you are fighting fit into those specific rings, and there is little more than a couple of statues that kind of show a representation of that form of fraud. 

Yeah, I didn't like Fraud at all...but it didn't piss me off in the same ways that Treachery pissed me off.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I disagree, I will be playing this game for a while because of how goddamn fun it is. Definitely worth 60$
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now here is a game that should have never been developed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jakob187
    @Bellum said:
    " Now here is a game that should have never been developed. "
    /facepalm  The debate that will never end...  Look, it's public domain, and so it's open to interpretation by anyone.  So whatever.  Let's keep that debate over in the other million threads that focus on solely that.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By thatfrood
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Just wanted to comment on the most clever title I've seen at GB yet. "
    I agree with this dude. This is a good title.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
    " @Bellum said:
    " Now here is a game that should have never been developed. "
    /facepalm  The debate that will never end...  Look, it's public domain, and so it's open to interpretation by anyone.  So whatever.  Let's keep that debate over in the other million threads that focus on solely that. "

And this is an interpretation someone should have kept to themselves.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
    @Bellum: Have you played it?
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @jakob187 said:
    " @agentboolen: I have no problem with a game cloning someone else, so long as they take those mechanics and make them their own.  Dead Space did that, so it would seem logical that Dante's Inferno would do the same.  I was sorely disappointed to see that the combat itself is LESSER than a five-year-old game from a franchise it is ripping off. "
    K this confirm's it, I guess I'll just be borrowing it from a friend I guess. :D
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:

" @Bellum: Have you played it? "

Given your report on the game, I don't see why anyone would want to.  I'd rather experience a graphic interpretation of Dante's Nine Circles without clunky, excessive, repetitious combat that can't even live up to the five-year-old game it stole the gameplay from.

And they couldn't make it into a graphic adventure why?

Oh right, because the producer is an imbecile that apparently can't equate gameplay without killing things:

"The thing is, the unique quality of games is being interactive; it's about action and killing things and pursuing those mechanics is tricky when bringing in classic media; Dante's is more of a violent interpretation of the poem for example."
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187 said:
    " @trophyhunter: Link it, as I don't remember that happening that way.  Then again, I've got a shitty memory as well, as can be noted by my OP saying "Acheron" rather than "Charon".  =  /  Nonetheless, the game isn't great, but it's not bad.  It's just average.  So wouldn't YOUR statement of "no, no it won't" mean that you thought it would be bad?  Average =/= bad. "
    just admit you were wrong for once
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ryax

thats why i prefer the book

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pinkshley1

It's not like its trying to pay homage to God of War, its like its trying to BE god of war. Even Dantes running and jump animations are remarkably similar to Kratos. And the story is god awful. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: 
    Of course not. I don't bother with games I know I will hate.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
    @Bellum: ...then you are merely basing everything you know on assumptions...and your assumptions are obviously unaware of just how much they DID cram into the game from the poem.  I was surprised by it quite a bit.  Unfortunately, Treachery (or Treason, as it would be) felt VERY last-minute-thrown-together. 

However, I would still suggest you rent it, throw it on the lowest difficulty, and give it a playthrough.  Even with the liberties taken, it holds very well to Dante's vision of Hell for the majority of the time. 

@Ryax said:
    " thats why i prefer the book "
    Anyone in their right mind will prefer the book.  That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to offer an interpretation with a piece of literature that is public domain, and Visceral did a good job of interpreting that while also digging into some other pieces.   I mean, Beatrice DOES play a part in the Divine Comedy, just not until Purgatorio and primarily in Paradiso as Dante's guide after Virgil must return to Limbo.  Therefore, there is TOTALLY a reason for Beatrice to be in there.  I can't say that I agree with the driving force of the story, but oh well.  That's what happens when you bring on a Hollywood type to write the script.  Above all else, people can whine and complain about how Dante is portrayed...but in actuality, the ONLY thing that is truly different about Dante is that he's a combat-effective dood wielding Death's scythe.  Beyond that, he is still of a frail mind, he is still a sinner, and he realizes that along his entire journey through Hell.  I felt the character of Dante was well played for the most part, despite the departure from a flaming, hedonistic poet that he was.

Then again, I hate Baz Luhrmann's take on Romeo and Juliet, despite the fact that all of the dialogue is the actual script for the play.  So what the fuck do I know? 

Regardless, folks - look for Purgatorio to be announced any day now.  I'm more than curious to see how Visceral designs the terraces, as well as where they end up taking this story...so long as they change the gameplay to reflect something more MODERN rather than ARCHAIC in design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
    " @Bellum: ...then you are merely basing everything you know on assumptions...and your assumptions are obviously unaware of just how much they DID cram into the game from the poem.  I was surprised by it quite a bit.  Unfortunately, Treachery (or Treason, as it would be) felt VERY last-minute-thrown-together. 

However, I would still suggest you rent it, throw it on the lowest difficulty, and give it a playthrough.  Even with the liberties taken, it holds very well to Dante's vision of Hell for the majority of the time. "

Hearsay, not assumption. A lot of the time, that can be even worse, but it's kind of hard to fuck up and say "it's a god of war" clone when it isn't. I'm not a fan of that particular genre. They should have made it an adventure game like Dreamfall or something. 
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By amir90

hmm, I agree with you that somehow, someway, the fraud part could have been better.

but the treachery part, well the part before the final boss, was kinda awesome.
    I mean: 

Some circles were clearly better then others, Anger truly made me angry.
    And Heresy, well, I wish there more "heresy" concept into the fight in that circle.

And lastly:

=D

but other then that, a good review, I however truly enjoys the gameplay, sure it sometimes a bit harsh and unfair, but I embrace that (Ninja Gaiden and DMC 4 Player here).
    Already finished this game 2 times, and I enjoyed both the same.

I wish I found all the relics thou.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.