Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

What weapon are you using?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By soldierg654342

I have a +3 Bastard Sword that's serving me pretty well. I'm saving my titanite mostly until I get a better sense of how upgrading will go. I do like that upgrading shields increases resistances and stability.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By LegalBagel

+4 Falchion. Best dex weapon I could find early on. Good for getting a strike in and rolling back, as well as chaining together slashes when you get an opening. Also you can slash from either side based on R1/R2 to help get around shields. And I was able to use it to take down a super bitch of a boss, so I'm very attached to it now.

I've never liked poking/thrust weapons, so the rapiers and swords that have an R2 thrust attack are out.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@deathpooky: Where do you find the falchion? I'm pretty early on and want to find a good dex weapon.

GogDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bastard Sword. Love the rolling attack and the quick followup.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

@jjbsterling: Pretty sure I bought it from the blacksmith, so you have to unlock that first.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: What do you mean by this? Are the enchants interchangeable? Temporary? No holy and occult enchants?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bnutz2k: The enchanting system is separate from the basic reinforcement system; one doesn't cancel out the other.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, sweet!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Sterling

I think Adaptability also affects this. Adaptability increases your agility, which may also lower the fall damage slightly. The guide is very vague about some of these things. I've been reading over the first chapter that goes over stats and mechanics. And they don't fully explain a lot of what Adaptability does. They just say "and it does other things". Well wtf are those other things?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am now rolling with a +6 lighting ultra greatsword. Holly damage batman!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using the Fire Sword upgraded to +6 I wanna say. Also have Heide's Sword upgraded to +4 or so. I'm working my way towards using the Drangelic Sword.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using the Heide's Sword you get off of the White Knight in the Forest of Fallen Giants courtyard. Not really digging the moveset though. Hoping to find a greatsword or ultra greatsword soon.

I'm trying to make a faith character, which makes me nervous about putting too many points into STR or DEX. Just want to find a weapon I like and meet those requirements.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyrus_saren: are you getting a bonus from using them together? I'm just two handing the falchion.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: Trust me when I say the moveset is damn good, didn't think so at first but it really, really shines against almost every boss.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: Trust me when I say the moveset is damn good, didn't think so at first but it really, really shines against almost every boss.

The Heide's Sword? What about it do you like? The swing animation is kind of funky, though I do still like it fine.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By bnutz2k

So I wanna kill that knight? He seems so peaceful and hasn't bothered attacking me. Not very chatty, though. :\

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and Brad were totally spot on in the podcast when they said that weapon variety is really important. I'm really early in the game (just beat The Pursuer) I'm rocking a +2 Bastard Sword and a +1 Club. My god that club makes a difference when dealing with Turtle Knights

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am playing with the Dragonrider's Halberd at the moment. It is a vicious weapon if you are light enough to roll around and got some good stamina. I have been getting lucky with my stone trade ins at the nest and got a few upgrade items for it, and have it at +2 now.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still way in the early game, but I've mostly been using my Mace. I do bring along the Channeller's Trident for co-op, although I have no idea if that buff actually works.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I'm not a huge fan of the upswing on the light attack or the short range. Strong attack is good though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

My main character's a dex build, been using the rapier for now and it's been serving me well thus far. Have a shortbow too for pulls or to dish out a little extra medium-range damage.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

Does anyone know where to find a claymore? Pretty deep in and haven't found one yet or don't know if someone sells one.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By confusedowl

Found a Dragonslayers Crescent Axe and that has been doing quite well for me so far. I'm liking it way more than the Greatsword.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was using the Heide sword for awhile, but the reach on that thing is just too short and it was causing me problems with some of these bosses with massive reach and brief vulnerability windows. I have since switched to the Halberd. Much better reach and a better moveset IMO, especially now that I have enough strength to equip it one handed alongside a Greatshield.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been rocking a catalyst with hell of Soul Arrows and Great Soul Arrows in my main hand and off handing a dagger to finish off persistent enemies that don't die in one cast. Been thinking about searching out that fire sword I've heard rumors about, though.

My maaaaaaaan. I'm using that exact same gear. Can't wait to have a better sword/dagger so I can go around being a deadly mage.

Lichbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lichbanes

Running around with the Pursuer Ultra Greatsword and the Dragonrider Greatshield and of course The Lost Sinner set to fill out the boss set for now.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

So I found the claymore, was wondering if anyone knows if there is a shop that sells fragrant branch of yore, I could of sworn that I saw one for 7500.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By benspyda

I was using a falcion + 4 for my DEX build but I was getting steam rolled by the Pursuer and found my DEX build run a lot tougher in DSII as I couldn't just get a katana from the beginning of the game lol. I may turn the class into a duel wielder once I get a better handle on how the game plays.

I made a new str build char with heavy armor and a big ass shield with the Heidi Knight Sword for now and finding the game a lot more manageable now.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyrus_saren: are you getting a bonus from using them together? I'm just two handing the falchion.

Yeah, I just got my stats to where I can go into power stance. I think I'm doing more damage now than just two handing one sword.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: @kishinfoulux: 2 hand for wide arcs, 1 hand for a very fast swing that connects on long chains; strong attack for variety. Recovery on the one hand swing is miniscule and thus extremely safe. Very stamina efficient.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanielrain: How do you get it? Is it a boss soul trade?

In the Shaded Woods, Ruined Fork Bonfire. It's pretty much right on the main path, being guarded by an enemy that was the boss of the pirate ship in the wharf - can't miss it, once you get there (kill the lost sinner, use the yew branch to unpetrify the stone statue lady on path from Mejula).

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've been using the gyrm axe, and I really like it, but for some reason if I'm holding back and attack my character turns all the way around and hits the ground behind instead of what I'm targeting, is this a bug? Or just something I have to get used to with bigger weapons? Its really strange having your character hit in the direction you're holding rather than what your locked onto.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By maginnovision

I'm still looking for something that feels like quelaags fury sword. That ended up being my favorite weapon. Using mainly fire sword+5. It's fine but run into a few guys who don't care about fire. It also doesn't hit THAT hard or swing THAT fast. I have two respecs so if I find something I like, respec I will.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dual wielding ultra greatswords, it's very hard to see around my character.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse: I believe that's just how very large weapons work now; which technically improves them because for the most part you don't want to lock on with huge, sweeping weapons. Takes a bit to get used to though.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fredchuckdave: Yeah I can understand it for the sweeps, but this axe does chopping attacks, I'm getting used to it though, just gotta let go of the left stick right before I attack.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Sterling

I just traded a boss soul for a great weapon, but its not as good yet as my +7. Pretty close. But to upgrade it I have to look up where to get the material. Its something I have yet to run into yet. I'm hoping it turns out to be a beast.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switched over to the Drangleic Sword, now that I have the stats to properly wield it. Pretty good and it's barely upgraded. Gonna be monstrous when I take it further. For a great sword it's really not that slow. Also nice moveset.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sterling: You can get around 4 or 5 of that upgrade material relatively early in the game; after that it'll be a while. Despite the huge upgrade increments unique items can still be buffed up to +5/given an extra element.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Hmm, I have not found a single one yet, and I have a lot of places open on the warp map. Its filled right now actually. And I've yet to find one.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hiedes sword +9

once you get use to the swing it works well for a faith build, but aoe hits are lacking

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

+3 Bastard Sword and a +2 Mace, using that wooden tower shield you can buy, but I just got a proper metal one so I'll switch to that. I've got the Drangliec sword but no twinkling titanite to upgrade it so I'm sticking with the Bastard as I can upgrade that with some large titanite I found last night.

Still looking for my old friend the Zweihander.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using an upgraded broadsword for pretty much the whole 15 hours. It's really, really good.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96  Edited By Zevvion

Fire Longsword +5 still. Haven't found anything else that's good. I found an Old Halbert or something that is pretty decent, but it does less damage than my Fire Longsword and drains more stamina so it's not worth it. Besides that, I really like the look and moveset of Twinblade, but it does so low damage, it's not very feasible. I suspect it will be a good PvP weapon due to it's moveset, but not very practical for PvE.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Switched to a Magic Great Club+10 for when the Skull breaks. Also you need a ridiculous weapon to efficiently kill enemies in one particular area (the most visually stunning area in the game). Dark Chasm of Old is fucking insane.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

FALCHION +4 BABY

anybody have any reliable ways to farm titanite yet?

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

FALCHION +4 BABY

anybody have any reliable ways to farm titanite yet?

The big guys with hammers in Harvest Valley seem to drop it pretty consistently.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By freakin9

First time I started out a souls game using magic. Mainly because my patience now is nil and I'm trying to save myself some frustration.

Just flinging the same ho-hum soul arrow spells so far though so it is getting to be a bit of a drag. You eventually get some new stuff later in the game, so that should be nice, assuming any of it is useful. I did find one new spell, best I can describe it is a spray of semen. Useless overall due to it just getting everywhere, but would've been fun to use if it didn't only have 3 explosions/casts.

I will say though that I keep meaning to put stuff into stats that would let me play around with weapons, but I keep throwing it into magic. Though I think my int and attunement are high enough now where I can start dipping into some melee.

If you're wondering about magic and if it's still op, I am dealing with regular enemies with ease. Boss battles though can get tricky if it's something like Dragonrider where you can't really move. Just a matter of baiting to get room, not too hard. Though my complete focus on magic means I'm also brittle as fuck. Still haven't really got a handle on the new, slower healing. But... in conclusion, yeah it's still in break the game territory.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.