Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkest of Days

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 08, 2009

A first-person shooter in which a soldier from Custer's Last Stand travels through time to save important people in history from those who would meddle with the timeline for their own gain.

Really? jeff and ryan played this like a couple of kids !!

• 138 results
    corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By corgorav

The QL was just fine, they clearly displayed their feelings about the crappy game and that's their right. Also I'm pretty sure they have stated quite a few times that they aren't really competing with any big and oh so respectable game sites so I'm not sure why that was brought up... I'd understand the whining if this was about a review written like "oh whatever its a totally crappy game blah blah...." but this isn't that different from some other QLs they've done so far so much ado 'bout nothing.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

First time I saw this game, I thought it looked awful.  I was flipping through channles and actually saw G4 had games instead of Cops for once so I paused for a second to see what was up.  It was this game, and the G4 guy was interested and found the game to be good, although he may have been humouring the makers who were right there discussing the game.  I like the idea but I think the execution was poor, but I have nothing against defending a game others think is crap, I have all the Dot Hack games and ocassionally still play samurai/ dynasty warriors.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#103  Edited By Claude

If it would have been a Wii game, would I have been pissed? Hell no, that shit is funny.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By RHCPfan24

This game looked like silly, mediocre crap and their laughs were perfectly acceptable. They do these Quick Looks to poke fun at certain games that they would never review. Their QL had the right attitude.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By pause422
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " This game looked like silly, mediocre crap and their laughs were perfectly acceptable. They do these Quick Looks to poke fun at certain games that they would never review. Their QL had the right attitude. "
    Exactly. I love all the people that are bitching because the quick look wasnt done "professionally". When did they ever say, or agree to do quick looks of games "professionally?" Its to show GiantBomb the game to judge it for themselves, and obviously their opinions of it at the time as well. They didnt think it was good at all, neither did I, and neither did a ton of people. If you do...go buy it, and enjoy yourself. No one is stopping you, or preventing you from that action whatsoever.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Stang
    @jakob187 said:
    " @MasturbatingBear said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " Ahmad, I understand the need to play Devil's advocate from time to time...but it's not helping you here.  Just from what I saw in that Quick Look, it seemed that the developers meant well by trying to do something different.  Unfortunately, it shoots itself in the face and has no chance of a closed casket funeral. "
    I have diagreed with Jakob before but if theres one thing ive learned. hes generally always right so back off ahmad. "
    O_O  WHOA! "
    How much did you have to pay him so he would say that?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @destruktive said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" the whole concept of time travelling to fix history seems really original. "

yes... original...... "
    yeah i could name like a dozen other games right now. and a million movies. 
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By MistaSparkle

@Ahmad_Metallic 
    Remember Ahmad, its you versus the GBC. Kind of outnumbered there, doncha think.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Jeffsekai

Considering I was excoted for this game, saw that and agreed with them...nope games crap if they pulled that on a good game mabey

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By mikemcn
    @Claude said:
    "If it would have been a Wii game, would I have been pissed? Hell no, that shit is funny.

"

I have a wii, and love it, but that was funny, i totally agree
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Th3_James

I liked the way the handled it, i usually fuck around if i am playing a bad game with friends :P it adds a level of lol to the game

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ascholzk

haha o wow  this was pretty fun to read lol 
    but really this game seems TERRIBLE, i mean the demo had "bad product" written all over it. and watching the quick look was entertaining not just from jeff and ryans commentary, but the laughable AI, and embarrassing animations also made it quite funny.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By AuthenticM

There is nothing wrong with the quick look. The game looks awful. Awful as in I will never play this game. Thank you Jeff for those moments of laughter.

solviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By solviper

I have beaten this game and my opinion is that its not that bad, there's not really any replay value but its still a fun single-player game your first go around.

SILIK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SILIK

Why post a thread like this? I kinda understand it if it were about your all time favorite game, the one you love and wanna protect from all the evil, but clearly Ahmad knows this isn't exactly a masterpiece. And I can somehow understand why some would say this isn't as bad as it may seem. But you also have consider the competition, especially in fps-games. What was 3 or 4 years ago a solid 4 star game, is now merely a 2 star game. With the competition even a good fps mostly isn't enough.

But if you can enjoy a crappy games like Legendary and Turning Point, then great. I'm jealous. Because I sure can't.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By _Nuno_
    If a game sucks and it cost as much as 50-60 bucks, then it should be crapped on. I don't care if it's a startup, a review should not care about that or it might mislead ppl.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

game is horrible they had to entertain themselves... goodjob!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By Whisperkill

yeah, did you play the game? It looked like an early ps2 game
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#119  Edited By breadfan

I played not even five minutes of the demo and I had to shut my 360 off.  The game is awful

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Expletive

Is this really a game to get uppity about?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Pibo47
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " You've got to be kidding me. This is a shockingly terrible game. Get a sense of humour. "
    This.
    Cub3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Cub3

I don't think the problem is Jeff and Ryan played the game like a couple of kids. The problem is that a couple of kids could have developed a better game, and they realize it. If you bought the piece of crap and actually like it, More power to ya. But, seriously, the games a piece of crap.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By memo
    @Ahmad_Metallic: not i....game looks horrible and by the looks of the quick looks plays horrible...good thing they made fun of it or else wi would not watch the boredom of the game. 
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#124  Edited By the8bitNacho

Jeff blew it out of proportion on the Bombcast, and all the sheep are falling in line with the shepherd. 

It's by no means a good game, but it's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.  How many people in this thread have actually played the demo?  No, actually played.  Just saying you've played it doesn't count.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Kombat said:
    "Jeff blew it out of proportion on the Bombcast, and all the sheep are falling in line with the shepherd. 

It's by no means a good game, but it's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.  How many people in this thread have actually played the demo?  No, actually played.  Just saying you've played it doesn't count. "
    I think the Quick Look illuminated some production issues any "serious playthrough" wouldn't have rectified.  

The goddamn AI was inactive half the time. Not simply bad or unhelpful. Inactive. The story's plot has more holes than a golf course, and it seems like it plays like garbage.  

Our opinions aren't skewed because Jeff claimed it was a bad game on a damn podcast, our opinions are skewed because it is a demonstratably awful gaming experience. It's the same reason why we laugh at Big Rigs.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Mcfart
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Kombat said:
    "Jeff blew it out of proportion on the Bombcast, and all the sheep are falling in line with the shepherd. 

It's by no means a good game, but it's not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.  How many people in this thread have actually played the demo?  No, actually played.  Just saying you've played it doesn't count. "
    I think the Quick Look illuminated some production issues any "serious playthrough" wouldn't have rectified.  

The goddamn AI was inactive half the time. Not simply bad or unhelpful. Inactive. The story's plot has more holes than a golf course, and it seems like it plays like garbage.   Our opinions aren't skewed because Jeff claimed it was a bad game on a damn podcast, our opinions are skewed because it is a demonstratably awful gaming experience. It's the same reason why we laugh at Big Rigs. "
    Big Rigs was the best game ever made. I'll hear no slander towards it.
    whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By whyzenheimer

What in the hell is this thread?

So, what I'm getting from the OP is that the website that I consider to be the Onion/Daily Show of videogames isn't allowed to have a sense of humor anymore?

No one has ever said a QL is intended to be serious, or color your view of a game.  It is the guys, that most of us love, having fun with a game one way or another.

Wash the sand out of your vagina and get a grip on reality, or please take your inability to take a joke elsewhere.

P.S.  Played the game for about 3 hours and it is garbage, although the time bubble has pretty cool audio/visual effects.  If only they spent that type of love on the rest of the game.

Inquisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Inquisitor

Look, Darkest of Days is an atrociously bad game for 2009 standards (honestly, it would still have fared as horrible back in 1999). I'm the first to agree that more period piece games would be cool, i'm a sucker for historical flintlock rifles and pistols, and trench battles, but because of the very nature of these things (quite stale and cranky), these do not make good elements for a videogame, or arent easy to translate into one anyways, in any case, 8Monkey Labs (the developer) did not succeed at making anything even near to a decent game here (just think of the cheap time traveling plot device, already the concept screams of beaten horse, hence they give an achievement for it, pun intended). 

But this is not what you are taking issue with, sense of humour is mostly a subjective thing. Didnt like the one in this review? There's plenty more to go around on the site, i take its one of the qualities of GB in the first place, the staff is more down to earth with us gamers (admittedly this aint always good^^) and doesnt have a broom stuck up their asses, like for example GT where in their videos they go on and on with rubber boat vocabulary (all air no substance) like "will this highly anticipated franchise's last installment stand up to its expectations or fall short?" keeping up with this babble until the ultimate score, which then is surprisingly disconnected from what they just said, no fun involved.

Humour is hit and miss, you simply didnt dig it, thats acceptable, heck, if you like Darkest of Days so much you think its worth defending of ridicule, go buy it.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By NinjaHunter

This thread is way longer than it should be but I guess I'll put in my two cents. 

The thing is Jeff and Ryan had fun with the game. I can't really see anybody playing this game and not laugh at the terrible execution the developers had in making this. This was both an entertaining and informative quick look and I really don't see why people are defending the game. Does jumping up and down in a puddle make this game or any game for that matter, look bad? Yes and Ryan called Jeff out on that. Did Jeff play sloppy? Yes, Jeff admitted it because the game ALLOWS it. What do you expect him to do role play the game and stick with his squad? Why should he? This isn't an advertisement for the game, it's to show the qualities or faults of it without being a full review. Obviously this game has very few qualities. I mean seriously...  

The Game has: 
    Graphics that aren't that great 
    Terrible shooting 
    Terrible AI
    Terrible design choices by the developers 
    Significant bugs in the game  

Nothing really good about it except maybe the time bubble looked alright. Atmosphere? I didn't really see anything all that great. If you ignore the bugs it seems to have the same amount of atmosphere as a generic shooter and with the bugs even less so. But of course this is based on the quick look alone so my opinion on the atmosphere is not based on the entire game but just that one mission. But of course if the atmospheric feeling of the game fluctuates greatly, then wouldn't that kill it. 

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Kohe321

I think the QL is really entertaining. They already said the game sucked on the bombcast, so I wasn't expecting a very "okay let's be open minded about this and give it another try" playthrough.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ArchScabby

I guess they forgot you aren't supposed to have fun playing games.  You're supposed to take them completely serious, and just do the mission exactly like it tells you.  You can't do something in the game for fun, it isn't the way the game designers wanted you to play.  If they wanted you to beat on a dead guy for 30 seconds, then the objective would say, "beat on the fucking dead guy for 30 seconds!"

I hope Jeff and Ryan read your thread and learn their lesson.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick Looks are usually reserved for the first impressions of the guys as well, but Jeff had apparently spent considerable time with the game and deemed it to be utter crap and had shared that view earlier.
    Hence they didn't approach this game with an open mind, they were obvious ready to shit all over the game.
    I personally thought they shouldn't have called it a Quick Look, since it's so far away from teh tone of the otehr ones.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Cramsy

Fuck off, This was hilarious. Bad things are funny, get a grip

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Cramsy said:

" Fuck off, This was hilarious. Bad things are funny, get a grip "

how about you fuck off for being late to the party and bumping this thread after everyone got their laugh and moved on ?
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By lucas_kelly

They could have been much harsher. In fact I could tell at times they where trying to be professional and not criticize the game too much. 
    Anyway the games looks terrible, and it makes good entertainment.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Cramsy said:

" Fuck off, This was hilarious. Bad things are funny, get a grip "

how about you fuck off for being late to the party and bumping this thread after everyone got their laugh and moved on ? "
    There are no rules which say someone can't bump a thread. If they want to and have something to say, its fine.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @lucas_kelly:  i know, i bump 1 year old threads if i find something important to quote or discuss, i just wanted to give that guy a hard time :P
    Mikl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Mikl

What they like the puddles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.