Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

I think i hate this game

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

Going back to it again - why does anybody like this game?

It feels so unforgiving and so repetitive. I can't even get anywhere without dying. Even blocking attacks seems to take down half your health bar. 

What's the point? Where's the fun? I felt the same way about Persona/Disgaea/a million other "cult classic" japanese games. They just seem to have no point and are just made hard to be hard?

I wish I could understand and not felt like I wasted $60, but right now this game ranks about as high as an impossible to play licensed NES game like Total Recall or some bullshit, because it makes just about as much sense and is just about as fun to play.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

its about patience. Please tell me you got past 1-1

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CowMuffins
    @SpudBug said:
    " Going back to it again - why does anybody like this game?  It feels so unforgiving and so repetitive. I can't even get anywhere without dying. Even blocking attacks seems to take down half your health bar.   What's the point? Where's the fun? I felt the same way about Persona/Disgaea/a million other "cult classic" japanese games. They just seem to have no point and are just made hard to be hard?  I wish I could understand and not felt like I wasted $60, but right now this game ranks about as high as an impossible to play licensed NES game like Total Recall or some bullshit, because it makes just about as much sense and is just about as fun to play. "
    Well then, to be honest, you suck at games.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

Watch some youtube breakthroughs, then you'll get it. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Systech

Some people just like to get punished, which is extremely odd to me as well.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel

And the game hates you.... Literally 

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpudBug

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or troll, I'm trying to understand. I never could understand with persona, or any of those other games, but I tried..

I've gotten as far as that huge knight in 1-2 and that thing killed me and i stopped playing it for a few months because I had lost an hour or more of progress. It makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure I'm not just bad at games because I've done plenty of hardcore action games, even played Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja. But that was fun. I don't think Demon's Souls is fun.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PureRok

I'll trade you a game for it.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By fr0br0

It goes back to the old feeling of believing you accomplished something when you beat a game. Nowadays, games are handed to you on a silver platter and are so easily beaten the topic of, "Oh, you beat that game? Cool. How did you get past..." are hardly ever heard of. I think going back to that style of community is very impressive in today's age and the things we can do with that (leaving notes for each other) is done pretty well.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

welcome to the club, all drinks are free

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gabriel
    @Whisperkill said:
    " welcome to the club, all drinks are free "
    I poisoned them....have fun
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpudBug

See but i don't get any "fulfillment" from accomplishing something in a game.

I play games for fun, not to get a sense of having accomplished something. I couldn't even fool myself into thinking that if I wanted to. Games are ultimately a leisure activity. 

I mean, what do you really come away with after having been punished by Demon's Souls for 2 hours, losing all your progress, and then wanting to throw the game out the window because you realized what you did in the last 2 hours wasn't all that fun the 1st time and it's going to be even worse the 2nd?

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By aerious

What made you buy the game in the first place, I think everyone has mentioned how crazy difficult this game can be.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PureRok
    @SpudBug said:
    " See but i don't get any "fulfillment" from accomplishing something in a game.  I play games for fun, not to get a sense of having accomplished something. I couldn't even fool myself into thinking that if I wanted to. Games are ultimately a leisure activity.   I mean, what do you really come away with after having been punished by Demon's Souls for 2 hours, losing all your progress, and then wanting to throw the game out the window because you realized what you did in the last 2 hours wasn't all that fun the 1st time and it's going to be even worse the 2nd? "
    @PureRok said:
    " I'll trade you a game for it. "
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @SpudBug: I haven't played it, but from what I can understand: Demon's Souls isn't for everybody. It's unforgiving, sadistic, and penalizes you for doing poorly. Some people like that kind of game. I have no idea if I do or not.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gabriel
    @SpudBug said:
    " See but i don't get any "fulfillment" from accomplishing something in a game.  I play games for fun, not to get a sense of having accomplished something. I couldn't even fool myself into thinking that if I wanted to. Games are ultimately a leisure activity.   I mean, what do you really come away with after having been punished by Demon's Souls for 2 hours, losing all your progress, and then wanting to throw the game out the window because you realized what you did in the last 2 hours wasn't all that fun the 1st time and it's going to be even worse the 2nd? "
    The game is not for everyone but you should at least beat the tower knight and see if you get anything from it, if not well you probably won't like the game.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Gabriel said:

" @Whisperkill said:

" welcome to the club, all drinks are free "
    I poisoned them....have fun "
    will do, cuz im not playing DS
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fr0br0
    @SpudBug: Then do you not play any competitive multiplayer games either? Because basically, those are comprised off the same concept of achieving a victory competitively.
    ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME

The game isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

You just have to take things slow and methodically, and this is a very abnormal pace for people used to "on the edge of their seat" players.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpudBug

sorry I don't think i'm just going to send a game out to someone. I'll probably have it on goozex or amazon.

From what I can tell there isn't really any story going on here either, the world is generic at best..

Feels like a progress quest. I think I'd have as much fun watching the game on youtube. Probably more fun.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria

Hardly the hardest game I've ever played.

I mean I actually beat it without much frustration or deaths.  

The most frustrating thing about the game I found so far, my character's hair clips over most helmets!

I mean where is the justice in that?!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok
    @SpudBug said:

" sorry I don't think i'm just going to send a game out to someone. I'll probably have it on goozex or amazon.  From what I can tell there isn't really any story going on here either, the world is generic at best..  Feels like a progress quest. I think I'd have as much fun watching the game on youtube. Probably more fun. "

I use Switch Games all the time (it's like Goozex but better and free). If you don't trust me, check this:

http://www.switchgames.com/gamer/purerok
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpudBug
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    " @SpudBug: Then do you not play any competitive multiplayer games either? Because basically, those are comprised off the same concept of achieving a victory competitively. "
    Yeah i play a lot of SF4, but at least there I feel like I'm learning a ruleset and improving my skills in a competitive arena that has some permanence - Demon's Souls is just a time sink. I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it. Just clearing a level to get another impossible level that I'll have to replay 100x until trial and error comes through and i win. Fantastic.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickL
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Watch some youtube breakthroughs, then you'll get it.  "
    honestly though, should someone have to watch youtube to have a slight chance at a game?
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lestater
    @NickL said:
    " @ninjakiller said:
    " Watch some youtube breakthroughs, then you'll get it.  "
    honestly though, should someone have to watch youtube to have a slight chance at a game? "
    I feel like some games are made with the intention of getting someone to give up and search the internet.
    Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It reminds me of the late 80's-early 90's computer RPG's like might and magic. They were also very hard and unforgiving. 

Even when I have to redo a dungeon many times over it doesnt feel nearly as frustrating as other games because I feel like it was my fault as opposed to some cheap death. Be it bad timing or not being cautious enough. 

My game of the year along with SF4 and PlantsVSZombies.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpudBug

This game would have gone from a one star to a 4 star if it had just included a "for babies" mode that had checkpoints and didn't kill you in two hits.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller
    @NickL:@Lestater:@SpudBug: 

It's brutal and unforgiving and that's the damn point. 
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By trophyhunter
    @CowMuffins said:
    " @SpudBug said:
    " Going back to it again - why does anybody like this game?  It feels so unforgiving and so repetitive. I can't even get anywhere without dying. Even blocking attacks seems to take down half your health bar.   What's the point? Where's the fun? I felt the same way about Persona/Disgaea/a million other "cult classic" japanese games. They just seem to have no point and are just made hard to be hard?  I wish I could understand and not felt like I wasted $60, but right now this game ranks about as high as an impossible to play licensed NES game like Total Recall or some bullshit, because it makes just about as much sense and is just about as fun to play. "
    Well then, to be honest, you suck at games. "
    agreed
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By THE_END
    @SpudBug: 

Wow....really?  I love this game.  In fact I put it in 2nd place on my top 10 games of 2009 list . It came super close to being my 2009 GOTY...... but then again a few months ago I beat Dragon Warrior 2 on an original NES so I do like to punish myself.  :)
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chojin
    @SpudBug: 

Well, this game is all about learning the rules and to follow them closely. The combat offers a huge variety of strategy, and every single enemy has one or more weaknesses, which you need to learn and adapt to. If you don`t you will die over and over. And you will hate the game. And you will think it`s unfair.

The blue eyed Knights for example, seem impossible the first time you encounter them, right? But when you realize that if you put away your shield, and equip a huge sword with both hands, you`ll break their guard and kill them in 2 or 3 hits. Another example is the 1-2 boss that you mentioned. He`s going to kill you in 1 hit no matter what. So leave the armor and go commando, which makes you run faster.

It`s the incredible sense of accomplishment from mastering all these different strategies that makes this game so rewarding. It definitely takes some time to “get it”, but when you finally do you`ll hopefully thank yourself for investing those hours that it took to get there, cause you`ll find an incredibly deep game with lots of things going on.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By eroticfishcake

Don't like it?...I'll take it!

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If you're losing, you need to change your strategy. For instance, you said that you're still losing health even when you block attacks... I'll assume you're lightly armored and using a crummy shield, because the good ones have 100% damagecut stat so you don't take damage when you block. I would advise first of all being more evasive, master using the roll move because you get invincibility frames when you use it. Make sure you're getting fast rolls, if they are slow you're wearing too much armor for your endurance stat to handle.

You should also get a nice shield, you can get a kickass Purple Flame Shield in 1-1 (along with a ring that lets you equip more armor and still move fast). If you watch this video it shows where it is about a minute in. If you missed the Cling Ring in 1-1 you need it bad, the game is almost impossible without it. This site has tons of info that should help. Good luck.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Milkman

It's really not that weird to hate this game. As a matter of fact, you're probably more normal if you hate it.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HaniBall

It's really just about patience.   

The skill can be acquired there is no cheap difficulty in DS.

The combat and weapons system is extremely balanced. You just have to pay attention to the different types of attacks and situations plus always keep and eye on the END bar.

You will find that you hardly die anymore after the first few levels.

Then, you will die a LOT again when you start over in NG+. And be reminded of the impatient gaming tourist you gravitate to when DS isn't kicking your bee-hind.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turambar
    @SpudBug said:

Here's the one thing that I find odd.  Why the immediate assumption everyone has the same difficulty with the game that you do?  If the game was indeed neigh unplayable, I would not be playing it either.  I'm no glutton for punishment, I simply enjoy playing a game.  And when I play Demon Souls, I simply enjoy it as well.  This isn't an issue of a game being unforgiving and hard, nor is it an issue of being good or bad at games that people want to boil Demon's Souls down into.  It's an issue of play style.  The game is shoe horned into forcing you to play a certain way.  Those that fight against this type of game play will die.  Those that don't will get by just fine.  If slow and steady and careful isn't what you like in an action game, you're probably not going to enjoy this.  

Why do you hate Demon Souls?  Simply put, it's not for you.

On a side note, Persona has awesome story lines, and Disgea is just good tactics fun with interesting mechanics. 

@Milkman said:

" It's really not that weird to hate this game. As a matter of fact, you're probably more normal if you hate it. "

This line is pretty much correct, though I'd say one is simply in the majority for disliking it rather than "normal" (lack of patience is pretty abnormal to me...).  Demon's Souls is designed with a specific audience in mind and that audience is not going to be huge.  It knows what it does, and it does it very well.  But what it does very well isn't going to make sense to those that the game isn't for.
    evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By evreche

I have finally gotten a chance to dig into this game and I am torn. 

Combat feels rewarding because it requires a great degree of patience. Waiting and waiting for a chance to strike and really getting punished not only if you fail, but if you get lazy and doing the basics. The bosses are worth it, although some can be very far in and if you mess up....well good luck. 

The drawback for me is the atmosphere. I just beat 3-2 today, I wandered around that place for a while which was difficult, but is that place oppressive. It feels like I am beating that game just to conquer a bad feeling. Just to move on. the melee combat doesn't get much deeper than what you start with, but I really have only used a couple of weapons. 

I can't say that say that I am enjoying the game like I traditionally enjoy games. To borrow from what I read earlier today the game is a survival-rpg.  
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpudBug

Well, I'll hang onto it. Maybe it'll click with me someday. Better than giving it to gamestop for $20 or shipping it to someone for $40.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mordukai
    @SpudBug said:
    " This game would have gone from a one star to a 4 star if it had just included a "for babies" mode that had checkpoints and didn't kill you in two hits. "
    That is the "for babies" mode. It seems Demon's Souls is just not for you. 
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cstrang

I love this game.  Playing it right now, actually.

evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By evreche

@SpudBug 
    After beating the game my stance hasn't changed much. I just lent it to a friend with the warning that if you don't really love it after about 3 bosses, just let it go.  

But I think it is wise just to hold on to it and see if you mood changes and you decide to tackle it. Aside from that if you were interested in selling it then wait because the value of it will go up soon enough. Atlus generally makes sure of that.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By Yummylee
    @evreche said:
    "@SpudBug After beating the game my stance hasn't changed much. I just lent it to a friend with the warning that if you don't really love it after about 3 bosses, just let it go.   But I think it is wise just to hold on to it and see if you mood changes and you decide to tackle it. Aside from that if you were interested in selling it then wait because the value of it will go up soon enough. Atlus generally makes sure of that. "

lol after 3 bosses???? I think that the tutorial stage is the make or break decision for most players.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By jimi

The brutal difficulty of this game is what I love about it. If you die it's your own fault, not the game's, everything in that game can be killed wearing no armor if you play it right.

evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By evreche
    @Jimi:
    brutal difficulty isn't why most people play games and thus not enough to convince somebody to play it. There has to be something more, which I never felt Demon's souls delivered upon. I dodged and hit my strong attack with my spear and killed every boss, every enemy, etc in the game. That was it.  

While the game wasn't unfair, it did ask me to bore myself through a level just to get back to a boss in order just to dodge/block and hit the strong attack with my spear enough times for something to die. Ninja Gaiden was difficult, but players were rewarded for mastering the combat. Demon's souls lesson is that you be patient and strike. I felt like the final battle was a battle of who could bore each other to death first.  

I am not saying I didn't enjoy the game, but it is overhyped for conventions that really aren't even old school so much as they are antiquated .
    evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By evreche
    @Abyssfull said:
    "@evreche said:
    "@SpudBug After beating the game my stance hasn't changed much. I just lent it to a friend with the warning that if you don't really love it after about 3 bosses, just let it go.   But I think it is wise just to hold on to it and see if you mood changes and you decide to tackle it. Aside from that if you were interested in selling it then wait because the value of it will go up soon enough. Atlus generally makes sure of that. "
    lol after 3 bosses???? I think that the tutorial stage is the make or break decision for most players. "

and thus proving my point. If I would say somebody try something I would caution against a snap judgement and be patient before deciding to finish the game.  
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpudBug
    @evreche said:
    " @SpudBug After beating the game my stance hasn't changed much. I just lent it to a friend with the warning that if you don't really love it after about 3 bosses, just let it go.   But I think it is wise just to hold on to it and see if you mood changes and you decide to tackle it. Aside from that if you were interested in selling it then wait because the value of it will go up soon enough. Atlus generally makes sure of that. "
    lol right..

Atlus makes it seem like their games are rare, but they make more than enough for everyone who wants them.

I was in a gamestop and a local store today that both had 5-10 copies of this game used on the shelf. It's not as rare as you think.
    evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By evreche
    @SpudBug said:
    " @evreche said:
    " @SpudBug After beating the game my stance hasn't changed much. I just lent it to a friend with the warning that if you don't really love it after about 3 bosses, just let it go.   But I think it is wise just to hold on to it and see if you mood changes and you decide to tackle it. Aside from that if you were interested in selling it then wait because the value of it will go up soon enough. Atlus generally makes sure of that. "
    lol right..   Atlus makes it seem like their games are rare, but they make more than enough for everyone who wants them.  I was in a gamestop and a local store today that both had 5-10 copies of this game used on the shelf. It's not as rare as you think. "

The situation today is not a fixed state. Give it time. Atlus is well known for short print runs.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I think it's pretty good. I don't own it but have played quite a bit at my friends house. It probably just takes getting used to, and maybe if you play it more you may learn to love it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#49  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Turambar: I completly agree with everything you just said. 

As for me, I started playing the game expecting to be punished so I played it very carefully. I think I died maybe once before I got to the first boss (stayed the F away from that evil looking red-visor knight and the 2 dragons on the cliff, lured out a few guys at a time at the bridge that the dragon torches). Though Wanderer class, high luck and a decent curved sword might've helped wih that.

And I don't die all that often now either, unless I do something stupid like trying to rush one of the Mindflayers of 3-1 head on (instead of ambushing it around a corner), or recklessly chasing a crystal lizard into an abyss.

But I showed a friend of mine the game and he decided even before he was done with the tutorial that the game sucked. He was frustrated when he got jumped by three guys and almost lost all his health, "Well if you'd stopped pointing the camera at the ground and instead at what's ahead you would have seen them coming." He started swinging at guys that was way beyond his reach so that when he got in range he didn't have enough stamina to finish the job, or block either for that matter. 

In short , the game is perfect for patient players like me, who in turn aren't as good at games that reward quick reflexes and aggressive, split second decision making. Here I can stand back, observe, dodge at the right moment and then strike.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I just plain didn't like it. Had nothing to do with the difficulty (well, very little), but the game just wasn't interesting to me whatsoever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.