Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

The fourth game in the popular Capcom action franchise, Devil May Cry. Take on the role of new playable character Nero, as he uses his swanky demon arm to beat the hell out of a demon invasion in the castle town of Fortuna.

Should I play Devil May Cry 4 or should I stick to the trilogy?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dtat

I vote for B and C. DMC4 really did not hook me. I liked DMC3 a lot though. Also: play Bayonneta.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz

What are you talking about? DMC4 is the last in the trilogy. DMC1, 3, and 4. See? Trilogy.

(Don't play 2.)

Though your poll answers imply you're asking about order of play. In which case I'd offer you one of two options. Either, yes, play 1 and 3 before 4, or play 1, then 3, then 4, which is the chronological order. I'd only advise against chronology because elements of 3 that are not in 1 might frustrate you after the fact.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

Man, DMC 4 was such a shitty game. You can totally see how half way through the development the team pretty much ran out of ideas and said "FUCK IT". Play the first and third game and save your self the torture of that were the second and fourth. 

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle
    @punkxblaze said:
    " What are you talking about? DMC4 is the last in the trilogy. DMC1, 3, and 4. See? Trilogy?  (Don't play 2.) "
    What he said.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

Forget DMC ever existed and just play Bayonetta. Yeah, you play Bayonetta long time.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vaiz

Man, I have to seriously disagree with everyone who is totally discounting DMC in favor of Bayonetta. Now, I know this is down to opinion and all, but I'd say at least play 3. If you play no other Devil May Cry game, play 3. It's the first, chronologically, anyway, so it's not like you're missing any story, and it's the best in the series.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Forget DMC ever existed and just play Bayonetta. Yeah, you play Bayonetta long time. "
    As much as Baynetta is a good game it does not have the versatility of DMC 3. Should he play Bayonetta? Yes. But he also needs to play DMC 3. That game pretty much defines the Japanese Action Adventure games. Give respect where it's due. Without DMC there won't be any Bayonetta, period. 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McGhee
    @Mordukai said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Forget DMC ever existed and just play Bayonetta. Yeah, you play Bayonetta long time. "
    As much as Baynetta is a good game it does not have the versatility of DMC 3. Should he play Bayonetta? Yes. But he also needs to play DMC 3. That game pretty much defines the Japanese Action Adventure games. Give respect where it's due. Without DMC there won't be any Bayonetta, period.  "
    meh
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac:
    Not going to say if he's right or not, however DMC3 is the greatest action game ever made.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread

As someone who has played all DMC titles, I think that four is the second best game of the series.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    As much as Baynetta is a good game it does not have the versatility of DMC 3. Should he play Bayonetta? Yes. But he also needs to play DMC 3. That game pretty much defines the Japanese Action Adventure games. Give respect where it's due. Without DMC there won't be any Bayonetta, period.  "
    meh "
    Riveting reply. 
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By craigbo180

If I was you I would just play DMC3 and then if you want go back and play DMC1. Forget 2 and 4.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrGetBonus

Play all of em. Start at 1 and go from there. If you are gonna play the other 3 games, you might as well play DMC2 as well. I mean, yeah, it is pretty bad, but at least you will have first hand experience as to why it is bad and not just hearsay.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jothel

i agree with the others, but just to let you know, DMC1 had an odd control scheme, took me a while to get used to when i went back to it, there's a much better one in place for 3 and 4 though

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Considering that 3 and 4 are the only good games in the DMC series, yeah, you should probably play it.  Granted, 3 is far and above better, and until Bayonetta, it was the best action game of that style out there.

Bayonetta is so much better that it's beyond comparison, however.

Edit: Also, Nero was a way more enjoyable main character than Dante in any game but the 3rd.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just start with devil may cry 4 and forget the rest. You get to use nero, a new character so you don't have to relearn everything. You also get to use dante and the combo system is quite good.  

I never finished devil may cry 3 special edition, it's honestly very difficult. Devil may cry 2 is easy, the first devil may cry has a difficult boss later on, however i'm not sure how the gameplay holds up today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play the trilogy and forget DMC4 even exists and if you like retarded games then play Bayonetta. I'm in the small minority who thought Bayonetta was garbage.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By RVonE

Play DMC3, then move on to Bayonetta.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @Mordukai said:
    Versatility? Have you played Bayonetta? Things like dual wielding, dodge offset and transformations send the versatility through the fucking roof.

To answer OP's question: yes, you should play Devil May Cry 4. The levels and bosses repeat, which sucks, but it trumps its predecessors in terms of combat system, camera, graphics and sound, and is most certainly worth playing.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Yes definitely. The soundtrack is awesome (especially the introduction - the vocals and strings are awe-inspiring) and the combat system is just plain fun. 

Play Bayonetta too. It's the best game of it's type.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

Really dumb question. It seems like you decided since trilogy is a word, that means you should just play the trilogy. The dated first game, the abysmal second game, the great third game, and the competent fourth game. Yeah, I think if you already decided to play through the worst DMC cus its part of the "trilogy" you might wanna play the game that's better than that one, too.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By phrosnite

DMC4 is one of the few games I regret ever playing. Go play Bayonetta or God of War.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

If you play DMC4 you should record yourself playing through the first half of it, and then just play back the recording in reverse.  It's pretty much the same experience as playing the whole thing.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

The Trilogy is DMC, DMC3, and DMC4 so you'll be good regardless.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Just play Devil May Cry 3. The first game is kind of aged in a lot of respects, the second game was never good, and DMC 4 tries to do what 3 did but doesn't do it as well. Not to mention, the second you start getting good with Nero the game switches to Dante, becomes noticeably harder, and basically consists of you going through all the areas you already went through and fighting the bosses you already fought. It's not a well structured game. 

Or you could play Bayonetta. I understand that game is quite popular.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

Where are people getting this second game from?  There never was a second DMC game.  They skipped the number two and went straight to DMC3.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Skald

Don't play the second one.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mordukai
    @Icemael: Not in gameplay style. Remember how DMC3 gave you the option to pick a different style at the beging of each chapter and you got points relating to that specific style? I didn't get through Bayonetta. the only thing that can make you replay the game is to get better score and not to try out a different gameplay style. 
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperWristBands

I say play DMC4. I enjoyed it quite a lot and even wanted to play through on harder difficulties (something I don't do in action games). I couldn't beat Dante Must Die mode though. Damn Agnus, you broke my spirit.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RVonE
    @ryanwho said:
    "Really dumb question. It seems like you decided since trilogy is a word, that means you should just play the trilogy. The dated first game, the abysmal second game, the great third game, and the competent fourth game. Yeah, I think if you already decided to play through the worst DMC cus its part of the "trilogy" you might wanna play the game that's better than that one, too. "
    TheNightWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheNightWatch

There's no reason why you shouldn't play the first Devil May Cry. The controls and combat may seem a bit dated at first, but soon you'll see that you just need to adopt a more methodical approach to how you play. The atmosphere is also unchallenged when it comes to action games of that type. DMC3 goes without saying, great all around game. Skip four, it's incredibly tedious when it comes to the Dante sections which are basically backtracking. The story in that one is completely pointless as well.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#33  Edited By Icemael
    @Mordukai said:

" @Icemael: Not in gameplay style. Remember how DMC3 gave you the option to pick a different style at the beging of each chapter and you got points relating to that specific style? I didn't get through Bayonetta. the only thing that can make you replay the game is to get better score and not to try out a different gameplay style.  "

Except the accessories, weapon combinations and more complex controls of Bayonetta allow for far more versatility than Devil May Cry 3's styles. The only difference is that in Bayonetta, you can change any of the settings at any time (with difficulty setting being the only exception), while in Devil May Cry 3 you can only pick styles at the beginning of levels (something that was fixed in Devil May Cry 4's second half).
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By MooseyMcMan

DMC2 is the one you want to skip. 

I'd say play DMC 1 & 3. Those are the good ones. DMC4 is fine, but those other two are better. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Don't play Devil May Cry 1. That game, today anyways, is terrible. Story's not that good, either.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Don't play Devil May Cry 1. That game, today anyways, is terrible. Story's not that good, either. "
    You drunk?  DMC1 story was pimp, when Dante yells out "SILENCE" at Mundus it was awesome.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By killroycantkill

They have that pack that comes with all 3 games in one package now so you might as well start there then work your way up. I wouldn't advise playing DMC2 though. If anything at this point you only need to play 3 and 4.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By JTB123
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Where are people getting this second game from?  There never was a second DMC game.  They skipped the number two and went straight to DMC3. "
    This.

Just play them all, DMC1 is pretty dated, but it's still an awesome game. 4 is not as bad as people are saying in this thread and yeah, you should play Bayonetta also, they're all great action games.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By rjayb89

I absolutely loved Devil May Cry 3, and haven't played a game like it until Bayonetta. And I feel that that game (Bayonetta) is the best hack-and-slash game ever. I have a copy of Devil May Cry 4 sitting in my 360's disc tray this very moment, but I have no urge to play it at all. I've seen Let's Plays of the first two games (including 2) that were actually well done (it was done by some Australian woman who played it on the hardest difficulty setting) just so I can prep myself for the fourth in the series. But, I just can't. Le sigh.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

You should only play (and have) DMC, DMC3, and DMC4.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ranking goes: DMC3>DMC4>DMC1  So yes, you should play DMC4.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

however DMC3 is the greatest action game ever made.

Also I agree with this.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vaiz

I came into this thread intending to make a wonderfully witty quip, only to find I'd already made it two pages and five months ago. You cheeky bastard, me.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I got DMC4 on the PC, got to what I believe is the end of the game, and never finished it. Most of the time I was playing it I just wasn't having fun, but like half of the people on this forum have said, you should try Bayonetta. I've played through it at least four times so I'd say it's pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.