Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

How safe a bet is this Dragon Age?

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By raddevon

I typically don't venture into the pre-order realm (although I have broken that rule of thumb several times in the past couple of months) since you never really know what's up until the reviews start hitting. That said, I have an opportunity to pre-order the game on Impulse for $40. It seems like a pretty sweet deal, but I'm afraid I will get burned. Here's my story.

• Played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2 and didn't much care for them. Didn't really care for Western RPGs in general.
    • Later had a brief fling with Western RPGs in the form of Morrowind. Enjoyed it but didn't really get sucked in.
    • Loved KOTOR
    • Had fun with Oblivion for a while. Same kind of thing. It was fun but didn't absorb me.
    • Loved everything about Mass Effect. That game is a fucking masterpiece.

So, after Mass Effect, I can't help calling myself a fan of BioWare even though I wasn't a fan of their earlier PC stuff. Also, I believe I may have changed as a gamer since then because I now typically enjoy well-crafted Western RPGs. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a solid choice for me? Explain.

If you're interested in taking advantage of the deal, the coupon code for Impulse is SURVEY-2009. That will take 20% off your order which may include a preorder of Dragon Age!
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Sounds to me like you prefer Western RPGs with a Sci-Fi setting more than those with a high fantasy setting.

Personally I'm not seeing the big draw to Dragon Age myself. It looks beautiful visually but otherwise it just doesn't seem all that interesting. Yet again another generic story of evil minion types that awaken nasty eviller masters intent on destroying the world while the player must make umpteen moral choices and decisions as a member of an elite group of warriors destined to preserve peace and justice in the land *cough* Jedi *cough*.

I love BioWare but sometimes they just do far too much of the same thing that it has become stale / boring. Much more excited for Mass Effect 2 than I am Dragon Age myself. And this is from someone who loved all there can be about Bladur's Gate 1 + 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights + Expansions, KOTOR 1 and so on.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By raddevon
    @Hamz: Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit fantasy settings are a bit stale to me, but I don't immediately write them off. I too am really hot for Mass Effect 2!
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I havent been tracking Dragon Age much but I am definately interested to play it. I wouldn't call it a sure thing (but hat can you really say that about?) but it should be a solid title.

isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By isaiah

I'll probably play it, although I have to admit the dark fantasy thing isn't really doing it for me, I'll wait for a review.  There had better be a review i'm looking at you giantbomb
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By nrain

I wouldn't call Dragon Age a sure bet at all, if a game has to promote blood and sex so blatantly it leaves me with a feeling that the game has a chance of sucking, and the marilyn manson trailers...seriuosly xD out of place.

catalystex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By catalystex

It's hard accurately judge without actually playing it for yourself, but the interface at least looks like it is improved from Neverwinter Nights, Baulders Gate etc. If you are into the way MMOs are played with the quick bar of spells and attacks, then you will like Dragon Age's system. I'm sure they will give you more control over combat than the extremely simplified point and click of an MMO, but again, can't really say much more about it without knowing more details about the game.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raddevon
    @nrain: Their marketing does worry me a bit.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us
    @nrain: The fact this this game promotes its blood and sex so heavily has me worried that I might only be able to play this game through import. Damn OFLC.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If you're a fan of Bioware, I think it's safe to say you'll like Dragon Age.
    The marketing for the game has been horrible, but the actual game looks great.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Cerza

Since Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to Baulder's Gate and you didn't much care for Baulder's Gate I'd suggest holding off. Unless you replay Baulder's Gate and find that you can get into it now.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @raddevon: 

Off of what you say, I'd definitely say wait for reviews as well and even give it a rent after it comes out.

I don't know why I can't get into the "space opera" scene, though I did enjoy KOTOR (though not KOTOR 2). For me, ME was very flat in the things I was looking for in it. The shooter-aspect was done very well, the powers felt right and the battles were controlled and a nice ease if simplistic. But the characters fell very flat for me. I could pick out characteristic and backstories off of simple look. Nothing surprised me in the game and that was somewhat disappointing. And they had poor game-play in there with the Mako. I really felt like should have been cut or not been done half-assed. Along with all the side-quest rooms being utterly the same design most the times. Side-questing was more of annoyance then a nice side-trip. But a lot of people on GB really are big fans of ME and look with lack-luster on DAO.

Again, if your gut feeling says to be wary... be wary. Hopefully DAO will be as utterly character-driven (as opposed to plot-driven) awesome, with strategic isometric gameplay that I've been craving and it's an amazing piece of game. I have pre-ordered but I would not recommend it for everyone because opinions vary. If you're still very interested, I'd suggest going to the book-store and picking up or perusing the first 30 pages of Dragon Age Origins: The Stolen Throne. If you like the writing of David Gaider (the lead of writer of the Game) - expect a good story in DAO.

Good luck with DAO or ME2 in the future (or both).
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By raddevon

Great responses, everyone. I really appreciate the insight!

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The trailers were getting me very excited for the game, but once I saw a gameplay video I went at least 80% in the opposite direction.  I've decided to just ignore it for a while until we get a lot more information and previews of it.  I definitely can't be convinced to pre-order it anymore.  I can dig everything about the game, but if the gameplay doesn't fly for me, then it's a lost cause.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero

'This is the new shit' 

@Origina1Penguin:  grats on 1000 posts.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @TheMustacheHero:  Damn, I didn't even notice until I checked my Inbox for this.  Good stuff.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The thing is, Bioware has managed to make me far less excited with every single trailer they have released. Yes, I get that it has some gore and boobs, but when compared to what they have been doing with ME2, it seems rather juvenile and lowest common denominator.

I am still tentatively excited, but it's not going to be a day 1 purchase at all.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

I'd love to be able to say Dragon Age is a sure thing, because I truly want the game to be good, but I have serious doubts about the game. In your case, it's probably especially sketchy, since this game has always been touted as the spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate), though I would say it looks quite a bit different from what little gameplay I've watched. The combat looks like a cross between that and games like KOTOR, though those were really old videos, and I've made it my goal since to avoid seeing the game too much so as to not spoil the experience.

$40 is tough to pass up, though. I'm sure the game won't be bad, it just might not be the masterpiece it's trying to be built up to be.

The other thing you should consider is what comes in the packaging, and what you'd be missing out on with a digital-only download.

Also, thanks for reminding me. I've got to start thinking about pre-ordering, myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm concerned about Dragon Age as well. I loved KoToR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect....a lot. I love Bioware. But the Dragon Age setting just doesn't seem as unique to me and isn't really pulling me in. Yet I still want it because it's made by Bioware.

I think I'll just wait a bit and get it when the price drops. Too many games coming out soon anyway.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

Yeah...a while ago I was thinking an instant buy on PC when this game hit, however since they showed their terrible trailers for it and Ive seen a bit more...I really have no idea.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By dagas
    @raddevon said:

" I typically don't venture into the pre-order realm (although I have broken that rule of thumb several times in the past couple of months) since you never really know what's up until the reviews start hitting. That said, I have an opportunity to pre-order the game on Impulse for $40. It seems like a pretty sweet deal, but I'm afraid I will get burned. Here's my story.

• Played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2 and didn't much care for them. Didn't really care for Western RPGs in general.
    • Later had a brief fling with Western RPGs in the form of Morrowind. Enjoyed it but didn't really get sucked in.
    • Loved KOTOR
    • Had fun with Oblivion for a while. Same kind of thing. It was fun but didn't absorb me.
    • Loved everything about Mass Effect. That game is a fucking masterpiece.

So, after Mass Effect, I can't help calling myself a fan of BioWare even though I wasn't a fan of their earlier PC stuff. Also, I believe I may have changed as a gamer since then because I now typically enjoy well-crafted Western RPGs. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a solid choice for me? Explain.

If you're interested in taking advantage of the deal, the coupon code for Impulse is SURVEY-2009. That will take 20% off your order which may include a preorder of Dragon Age! "
    This is so exactly my thoughts that it's almost scary. I feel the same way about those games. Is raddevon my second account? =P seriously. I agree 100 % with that text, and I believe Dragon Age is going to be great for us. Even if it is said to be a spiritual successor to BG I bet since it's a lot more modern it will incorporate what was good about KotOR, Mass Effect etc.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jayge_

The way I see it is this: 

You buy Dragon Age, it turns out to me a massive dark fantasy game with cool characters, good humor, an interesting setting, a hopefully good story, and it's tons of fun. It's also got the best modding tools available (supposedly) and all that good stuff. 

Or: 

You buy Dragon Age, it turns out to be totally corny, you play it through for the lulz, it's absolutely hilarious, and it's still got some of the best modding tools available (supposedly). 

Win-win to me.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raddevon
    @dagas said:
    Even if it is said to be a spiritual successor to BG I bet since it's a lot more modern it will incorporate what was good about KotOR, Mass Effect etc.
    This makes way too much sense. Surely they wouldn't ignore the lessons of KOTOR and Mass Effect even though the setting is a bit different. Thank you for the optimism. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger. We have until November 1st apparently to use the coupon.
    Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#24  Edited By Dimsey

I haven't hated anything Biowares done yet, so in my books at least it's as safe a bet as you can get.

For the record I didn't actually mind the Marilyn Manson, blood and sex trailers.
    I know it's turned an awful lot of people off the game but I like Marilyn Manson, I like video game violence and I like some T&A also. Appeals to me on three levels right there.
    Of course I was interested in the game before the trailers and it was just a neat looking fantasy rpg, but I don't see whats so wrong about appealing to peoples baser desires, the blood and the sex I mean.

Regardless the heavy metal, blood and sex in the trailers is just a marketing thing. An attempt to reel in a bigger audience.
    Might work, might not but in the end I don't think the trailers will be indicative of the games overall content and the quality of said content.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Nate

That's a really tempting deal, but when you think about it - it's only $10 off the retail price. I'd definitely wait for the reviews - especially since you didn't dig Baldur's Gate too much.  I'd gladly pay 10 more for a game I know I'm going to like and you should have a much better idea after reading reviews. Also - things to keep in mind: This game looks to be a hard one for most PCs to run. I'm assuming you've looked into that, but just in case - check out the system requirements/recommendations. 
    This game looks amazing, and I also loved Mass Effect. I really do have high hopes for it, but I'm waiting because I have a feeling it's going to be too much of a "hard-core" fantasy type game for me. We'll see I guess. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

I feel pretty safe in dismissing it as a C level game.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By Gunner
    @Dimsey said:
    " I haven't hated anything Biowares done yet, so in my books at least it's as safe a bet as you can get.  For the record I didn't actually mind the Marilyn Manson, blood and sex trailers. I know it's turned an awful lot of people off the game but I like Marilyn Manson, I like video game violence and I like some T&A also. Appeals to me on three levels right there. Of course I was interested in the game before the trailers and it was just a neat looking fantasy rpg, but I don't see whats so wrong about appealing to peoples baser desires, the blood and the sex I mean.  Regardless the heavy metal, blood and sex in the trailers is just a marketing thing. An attempt to reel in a bigger audience. Might work, might not but in the end I don't think the trailers will be indicative of the games overall content and the quality of said content. "
    Pretty much this, only not the "I like marilin Manson" thing. 

Bioware has yet to have made a bad game, and they have made quite a few of them. 

Its worth a shot.
    Avatar image for the_evergrey_one
    The_Evergrey_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By The_Evergrey_One

If you didn't enjoy Baldur's Gate chances are you will not enjoy DA:O. For those of us that did, however, this is probably the safest bet there is.
    Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kefkaesque

I blame EA for the marketing embarrassment.

It seemed that before the announcement that EA had bought Bioware, all the news about this game had me excited, but as soon as Bioware was acquired,  all the Trailers were blood and Sex and Manson. Now blood and sex aren't a bad thing, but the focus on them in the trailers is.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eisen

I wish they'd do more videos with commentary similar to how many of the first videos were done showing actual gameplay.  I more out of those than the marketing drivel they've been releasing.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By eroticfishcake

Dragon Age is really aiming towards a mature audience who has extensive experience with RPGs. Having said that, it's quite a small number in comparison to everyone else. However, this is Bioware we're talking so if anyone can deliver a high quality RPG it's them. I think the reason why some people aren't so excited about this is because The Witcher already took the adult fantasy theme with noticable amounts of violence and sex recently. So it's not so original anymore.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Evilsbane

The only game I have played by Bioware that didn't appeal to me was Jade Empire. . . .AHhh! I know I know don't kill me I am sorry I just couldn't get into it, it felt janky and odd.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeviantJoker
    Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Eisen
    @DeviantJoker: Those are hundred times better than the garbage the NA marketing team is putting out.  Thanks for the links.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By jakob187

I have faith in Bioware... 

...but for some reason, I'm still worried about this game.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raddevon
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @Eisen: 
    The Germans had a few tutorials that I particularly enjoyed and featured some of the different things Dragon Age has in it. I definitely recommend checking out these 3 videos that a youtube username Kinthalis has posted, showing the German Tutorial's along with an English Translation.

Dragon Age: Tutorial #1 (Origin Stories) English-Sub

Dragon Age: Tutorial #2 (Combat and Tactics) English-Sub

Dragon Age: Tutorial #3 (The Journal) English-Sub

Dragon Age: Tutorial #4 No Sub "
    These videos are fantastic! Thank you for posting the links.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeviantJoker
    DazMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DazMoo

I hear this game is supposed to be a lot better on pc... which sounds really odd to me. Like high in Spec gaming computer? or what???

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Undeadpool
    @raddevon:

If the setting is what put you off those games, then you're screwed. Plotwise, I've only played a couple of hours (just got through my origin, in fact), but I'm REEEEAL happy with it so far. The moral choices are WAY more nuanced (I've only really had to make one, but I actually sat and thought for a few minutes), and the battles look incredible. Gameplay's way more KOTOR than Morrowind, which I think isn't a bad thing because it lends itself to having a party more.

Happy Happy gaming to you.

ZheGypsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZheGypsi
    @Evilsbane said:
    " The only game I have played by Bioware that didn't appeal to me was Jade Empire. . . .AHhh! I know I know don't kill me I am sorry I just couldn't get into it, it felt janky and odd. "
    Lol, I love this post. I agree with you bro; at the beginning I did not enjoy it much, but I stuck with it for the story. After a while it kinda begins to flow, and it is very fun. 
    Though, that's how I normally feel about most Bioware games. I'm thinking DA will probably be slow for me at the beginning, but with all the praise it is getting, I am sure that it is a most buy. As soon as I get some money I'll probably grab DA and Ego Draconis. <3 This style of games.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By raddevon

I ended up picking this up and played for five hours while lying around sick yesterday. The exposition in this game is fantastic! I am enthralled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.